• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roots |OT| This thread will never call itself Toby

Status
Not open for further replies.

berzeli

Banned
UOjCZpa.jpg

A four-night, eight-hour event series adapted from the book by Alex Haley, is a historical portrait of American slavery recounting the journey of one family and their will to survive and ultimately carry on their legacy despite hardship.

The show premières tonight at 9/8c and runs over four consecutive nights on The History Channel, Lifetime and A&E.
For those in the Nordics; The episodes air the day after their US date on HBONordic.

Cast
uNM45ST.jpg
hgKyoOq.jpg
kRpjsT6.jpg
0idfkN3.jpg

• Malachi Kirby as Kunta Kinte | Kunta Kinte, “the African,” member of the highly respected Kinte clan of the Mandinka people of Gambia. A warrior who is educated, clever, skilled, strong, resilient and proud, he is a young man of immense courage and spiritual fortitude – all traits that empower him when he is captured by slavers. Kunta never relinquishes his dream of returning to his homeland and never stops challenging the slaves born in America to fight for their freedom.
  • Anika Noni Rose as Kizzy | The cherished and smart only child of Kunta Kinte and Belle who maintains her family pride and warrior spirit. She is trained to be a warrior by her father, remembering every story about Africa that her father ever told her. She is taught to read by her slave master's daughter, Missy. After being raped by her slave master, Tom Lea, she gives birth to her only son, George, the only grandchild of Kunta Kinte. She perpetuates the dreams and teachings of her father in the rearing of her son.
  • Forest Whitaker as Fiddler | An urbane slave musician who is rented out by the Waller family to play for various plantations, he has “fiddled” his way out of the fields to what he thinks is an especially comfortable life. Fiddler is garrulous, a staunch friend to Kunta who mentors him but learns a great deal from him as well.
  • Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Tom Lea | A poor farmer of Irish descent from the impoverished Carolina hill country. Craven, aspiring, though at times great fun, always suspicious and can't rise above a deep rooted jealousy of his betters. He buys Kizzy as a 15 year old and rapes her resulting in the birth of their son George whom he takes under his wing and teaches him about Cock fighting. He has a deep struggle that torments him in owning a slave this is in fact his son.
QO5xYS9.jpg
IYfehY3.jpg
Xsnxj7g.jpg
C5iIqO3.jpg

• Regé-Jean Page as Chicken George | Kizzy's clever, theatrical and resourceful son. A handsome social magnet who knows how to transfix a crowd with a story, yet doesn't appreciate what he has until his luck abandons him. He struggles with following his family traditions until he is abandoned by his true father, slave owner, Tom Lea.
  • Anna Paquin as Nancy Holt | The Quaker fiancé of racist, pro-succession Confederate officer, Frederick Murray, who has her own agenda when it comes to the handling of slaves.
  • Tip "T.I." Harris as Cyrus | A headstrong slave who fights for freedom for the Union Army against Confederate Forces whom befriends and help Chicken George.
  • Laurence Fishburne as Alex Haley | The author of the novel Roots: The Saga of an American Family.
o1IaiIK.jpg
zitcrtw.jpg
8TJh5B3.jpg
Yn1KrrU.jpg

• Chad L. Coleman as Mingo | A stern no-nonsense slave/cock trainer for Tom Lea, who keeps the Lea plantation afloat. He befriends Chicken George and they bond like father and son.
  • Erica Tazel as Matilda | A preacher's daughter, literate, modest and religious. She is swept away by the charm and attention of Chicken George and is the only woman that could tame him and soon thereafter becomes his wife and the mother to his eight children.
  • Mekhi Phifer as Jerusalem | A mute slave who works on the Murray plantation, but who is not quite what he appears to be.
  • Matthew Goode as Dr. William Waller | The educated, charming, more refined and successful younger brother of John Waller. William has a more benign manner in handling his slaves though he certainly believes in slavery.
zGgx9IS.jpg
4M0zCJI.jpg
Uc2CU9g.jpg
u97iuXq.jpg

• Emayatzy Corinealdi as Belle | The American born wife of Kunta Kinte and longtime favorite cook and housekeeper for Dr. William Waller. She gives Kunta Kinte a reason to live and stop running. She is the mother to Kunta's only child – a daughter named Kizzy, but lives with her own terrible secret, her two baby sons who were sold away from her when she was young before she was married to Kunta Kinte.
  • Sedale Threatt Jr. as Tom | The youngest son of George and Matilda. Tom reacts to his father's spendthrift, wastrel and philandering ways by simply hiding his emotions. A quiet, handsome young man, Tom believes surviving slavery will only come through hard work as a blacksmith. The stories of his great grandfather, Kunta Kinte, resonate for him as parables of hard work and perseverance. He is provoked when he realizes that he cannot protect his wife and family by keeping his head down, and is inner warrior comes out during the Civil War.
  • James Purefoy as John Waller | An English colonist who is the profligate owner of a Virginia tobacco plantation who buys Kunta Kinte as a slave upon his arrival in America. An alcoholic, deep in debt, braggart, more negligent than mean, he's unable to keep his farm vital without secret loans from his brother.
  • Derek Luke as Silla Ba Dibba | Uncle of Kunta Kinte. A powerful Mandinka fighter who is battle-scarred and highly skilled in ways of combat - he helps train new warriors. He is an icon to the young men of Juffure and an inspiration to Kunta when they are both captured and sold to a slave ship.
Reviews
SEnlbUq.png
2SPpSDx.png

AVClub: History Channel’s Roots remake is a worthy, if familiar, journey [B+]
Vulture: The New Roots Is More Scathing and Pulls Fewer Punches
Hitflix: History's 'Roots' admirably retells the story of an all-time classic
The Guardian: Roots remake: seminal slavery narrative still resonates in revamped miniseries
Variety: "the miniseries’ sincerity and its cumulative power can’t be denied"
Washington Post: History’s engaging new ‘Roots’ is faithful to the original and woke to the present
The Hollywood Reporter: An exciting young cast elevates this emotional, powerful remake of the 1977 landmark miniseries.
New York Times: ‘Roots’ for a Black Lives Matter Era

Articles
Vulture: Roots’ Cast and Creators on Slavery Narratives, Brutality on TV, and Nina Simone
The Guardian: Malachi Kirby on remaking Roots: ‘I could feel the pain, hear the screams'
New York Times: ‘Roots,’ Remade for a New Era
Washington Post: Can the new ‘Roots’ help us understand America’s current racial divide?
Washington Post: Everyone was talking about ‘Roots’ in 1977 — including Ronald Reagan
The millions of admirers of the TV presentation of Roots didn't include Ronald Reagan, who said, "Very frankly, I thought the bias of all the good people being one color and all the bad people being another was rather destructive." He added that he was impressed by the huge audience the series attained, but "I didn't know there was anyone who could stay home eight nights in a row."

Videos
Trailer
Extended Sneak Peek
Roots: Cultural Connections
Roots' Legacy

Links
Official Website

gonna watch this

wonder if last nigga alive Tom Hanks in this?

lol at Reagan's comment.

probably felt more at peace about the rise of the crack cocaine era though

JABEE

It's strange how ABC didn't buy this. Did network television abdicate any responsibility they felt to air long-form, complex programming?

How does a channel like ABC, NBC, or CBS not outbid History to create the remake?

I'm excited to watch the show tonight on History. It's just strange how television networks in the 70s were willing to air a min-series like Roots, but now you have to go to FX, History, or HBO for this kind of thing. The thing that impressed me watching the original Roots series 2 years ago for the first time is how great the production was on that show. Much better than Rich Man, Poor Man created during that same era.

Gonna watch it for Forest Whitaker.

I fucking love Forest Whitaker.

OH MY GOD DON'T LOOK AT THE COMMENT SECTION ON THE MAIN WEBSITE. Fuck me, humanity and anonymity bring out the worst in people.

i know they didn't put TI in this shit

Everybody else (recognizable) is great though so they will offset that clown

Excited to watch this. Wish they repeated the old miniseries on tv though before this. I havent seen it since I was a kid (yeah I dunno why I saw it then either)

berzeli

Banned
I'm looking forward to this, also people should check out this informative research video about Roots.

How Pop Culture Defined the Legacy of "Roots"
This was neat. Thanks for linking.
Don't look at the History Channel's Facebook comments.
Or the youtube comments. Or the IMDb forums (btw, nice to see shitheads voting 1/10 before it has aired). Or basically any internet outlet discussing this. Urgh.
I didn't miss that post when you made it in the cancellations thread. Nearly went with it.

I never saw the original, but I'll watch this.

I'm also not surprise about the comment sections. I went to IMDB when I first heard about it and there was already a white guilt and an #alllivesmatter thread in the forums.

Lemaitre

Banned
Count me as someone else who has not watched the original but totally should now that this is starting tonight.

I'm excited. Not sure if I'll have the time to plunk down and watch but I'll at least have all 8 hours recorded for when I can.

Nudull

Banned
Wow, reviews have been good. o.o

I remember seeing the original in middle school and getting drawn into it. Wouldn't mind seeing this.

I remember seeing the original in middle school and getting drawn into it. Wouldn't mind seeing this.

Same here. My history class watched it over the course of a week, but I was out sick the first day so I missed the section with OJ Simpson.

Slayven

Set it record.

Hope they don't pull that white savior bullshit hollywood loves doing in slaves stories.

They like the tragedy, but not to tragic less folks feel bad

This cinematography is incredible. And yet no televised account can ever fully capture the horror of being on those fucking ships.

The cramped, filthy, unspeakably pungent odor. The interminable, systematic breakdown of a person's very personhood.

Many ships overturned and sank into the ocean, taking the manacled, immobile Africans to drown with them.

Just awful.

Nudull

Banned
This cinematography is incredible. And yet no televised account can ever fully capture the horror of being on those fucking ships.

The cramped, filthy, unspeakably pungent odor. The interminable, systematic breakdown of a person's very personhood.

Many ships overturned and sank into the ocean, taking the manacled, immobile Africans to drown with them.

Just awful.

Holy shit, I didn't know that. Being ships and all, one would assume, but still.

Show is amazing, so far.

Same here. My history class watched it over the course of a week, but I was out sick the first day so I missed the section with OJ Simpson.

Also saw the original in school but can't remember if we actually finished it, ended up watching it again on my own years later from a marathon.

Didn't hesitate at all....money more that talks, it possesses, enchants, and curses. What I've seen thus far guarantees i watch till the end.

Measley

Wow those internet comments are fucking sad. The closet racist argument is that this shouldn't air because its Memorial Day, or because it'll piss off African Americans and cause them to riot.

This is why it's important to teach real American history in schools. Too many people buy into the argument that America was created by a group of holy men and is absolutely perfect.

Nudull

Banned
Wow those internet comments are fucking sad. The closet racist argument is that this shouldn't air because its Memorial Day, or because it'll piss off African Americans and cause them to riot.

This is why it's important to teach real American history in schools. Too many people buy into the argument that America was created by a group of holy men and is absolutely perfect.

It's hard, facing a part of history that's constantly getting disregarded and whitewashed.

Fuchsdh

I feel like this is another piece of media that didn't need to be remade. The original miniseries is still engaging and holds up really well. I still remember how massive it was on VHS home video.

bionic77

Just awful.
I could not believe how they transported the slaves.

Death seems preferable to being stuck like that for months.

Not interested in another roots though. Too depressing. Really hope people who didn't see the OG catch this though. Weird that it is on history channel. I thought they only showed trash. It's in other channels too though.

berzeli

Banned
New episode tonight.
Night Two
Kunta meets British soldiers who convince him to escape, but he soon finds they are no better than his American slave family and attempts to run away. Later: a doctor takes him in and Kunta begins courting his daughter.

-----------

‘Roots’ Opens With Cable’s Biggest Overall Miniseries Audience In 3 Years
The premiere of A+E Networks’ four-night Roots reboot logged 5.3 million viewers across History, A&E and Lifetime on Memorial Day. Over its three telecasts, the premiere episode in this latest adaptation of Alex Haley’s best-seller averaged 8.5M viewers.
Good. The show deserves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom