• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rotten Watch: STAR TREK (Directed by J.J. Abrams) RT says it's better than TDK (96%)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

BattleMonkey said:
Paramount has been delaying it's sequels it seems for some time now. They have been talking about sequels to various films like Trek, GI Joe, etc but they just keep getting pushed back. Casting wise I assume most everyone is signed into contracts already for the sequels so they can just toss on some bad guy at the last minute.

Isn't JJ not going to really be involved in this one?

Trek 2 has had a "firm" date for over a year though of June 29, 2012, though and Paramount knows they need to strike while the iron's still hot from ST2009.

Solo said:
Trek 2 has had a "firm" date for over a year though of June 29, 2012, though and Paramount knows they need to strike while the iron's still hot from ST2009.

It's all Lindelof/Orci/Kurtzman have been working on recently so I'm guessing the studio just waiting for the script to be done before they go any further.

And I'd bet money that JJ Abrams directs again.

Things in Hollywood that would seem so obvious sometimes don't happen till the last minute. Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis are still not officially signed on to The Hobbit and it starts shooting next month.

Solo

WyndhamPrice said:

I'd bet money he doesn't. Seeing things through just isn't his MO. He likes to start things up and then move on to his next project.

Solo said:
I'd bet money he doesn't. Seeing things through just isn't his MO. He likes to start things up and then move on to his next project.

Aside from his reputation, is there anything else you're basing this on (rumors, statements, ect.)? If this turns out to be true, consider my morning ruined.

kame-sennin said:
Aside from his reputation, is there anything else you're basing this on (rumors, statements, ect.)? If this turns out to be true, consider my morning ruined.

JJ is involved with tons of projects right now, I don't see him having time for Trek 2

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
2012 seems like a reasonable amount of time between sequels. I am happy about this. Can we get some actual science-based sci-fi and intrigue to go along with the excellent characterization and special effects though?

Solo said:
Didn't want to start a new thread, so......does anyone else find it a bit odd that the sequel comes out next summer and there hasn't been ANY news about it yet? An effects heavy film like this will have a lengthy post-production cycle, so principal photography would need to take place in the next 6 months or so. Yet there hasn't been any word of a script or director let alone casting.
I suspect it's a mix of production not having started yet and Abrams' trademark secrecy.

It's patently obvious from their total absence in ST2009 that Klingons will be at the center of the new film, but that's just educated guessing, and it's about all we know (that and the suggestions of an old villain from the show making an appearance).

I just rewatched this last night by the way, and it's still awesome. Such a great love letter to the characters, even if at times it feels too perfect like they were just checking things off on a list.

Solo

kame-sennin said:

Bailed on Alias
Bailed on LOST
Bailed on Fringe
Bailed on M:I

Solo

Solo said:
Didn't want to start a new thread, so......does anyone else find it a bit odd that the sequel comes out next summer and there hasn't been ANY news about it yet? An effects heavy film like this will have a lengthy post-production cycle, so principal photography would need to take place in the next 6 months or so. Yet there hasn't been any word of a script or director let alone casting.

Thought I'd give the thread a little bump since apparently the draft script is due this month at Paramount, and Abrams will decide after reading it if he will direct or not, and filming would start probably in the summer.

Truant

I kinda understand why he does this, though. I get really bored from all my projects as well, be they music, writing, or film. Granted, I don't get paid millions of dollars to do shit, so what do I know.

"Done this for a year. Yeah, I need to do something else to stay sane."

Solo

Im hoping the fact that he went and made Super 8 after ST2009 will mean that he will be refreshed and ready to jump back to Trek. Having said that, I still expect we'll see him produce only. But I hope he directs.

Solo

The bad news is that it is Super 8 that has been keeping Trek 2 from progressing (there is no way in hell hey don't delay the film now - X-mas next year, maybe? Or Summer 2013?). The good news is that with Abrams waiting to get Super 8 finished, I'm feeling more confident that he will return to direct.

'Star Trek 2' Update: J.J. Abrams Returning To Star Fleet Once 'Super 8' Wraps

Movement on the sequel to J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" revival hasn't exactly been traveling at warp-speed, but it looks like the U.S.S. Enterprise could embark on its next voyage very soon -- once the director's work on "Super 8" wraps, in fact!

We spoke with Abrams last week as part of our Summer Movie Preview and he revealed that he'd be taking a meeting with his "Trek" collaborators later that day. At the moment, there isn't a script that's been "officially approved" by anyone, he said, "but we're working on it."

For "Star Trek 2," screenwriting duties fall upon the familiar duo of Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, the team that penned the previous "Trek" adventure, while "Lost" co-creator Damon Lindelof joins in as well, increasing his involvement from his producer role on the last film.

"Damon is working on the script for this one," said Abrams. "As busy as I've been with 'Super 8,' I remember that when we did the first one, Damon was that busy with 'Lost.' So it's going to be very cool to have him on board as a writer."

"There are some amazing ideas. These are not just great friends of mine, but they're great writers," Abrams assessed of the writing crew that's assembled for "Trek 2." "I'm thrilled and very optimistic that it's going to get to where it needs to get to."

As for Abrams' own involvement, he wouldn't say whether or not he plans to return to the director's chair for this next chapter in the "Star Trek" series — indeed, he hasn't had much time to focus on the project at all thanks to "Super 8."

"The truth is that my focus has been so much on finishing 'Super 8' that it's been something I'm looking forward to getting to, but with an incredibly compressed post schedule, there hasn't been a whole lot of time for me to be working with the writers," he admitted.

But with "Super 8" nearly finished and heading into theaters this June, Abrams' schedule is clearing up considerably: "Now that 'Super 8' is drawing to a close in terms of this post schedule, I'm looking forward to jumping in and hopefully getting that ready as soon as possible."

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/05/0...s-returning-to-star-fleet-once-super-8-wraps/

rezuth

WyndhamPrice said:
It's all Lindelof/Orci/Kurtzman have been working on recently so I'm guessing the studio just waiting for the script to be done before they go any further.

Things in Hollywood that would seem so obvious sometimes don't happen till the last minute. Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis are still not officially signed on to The Hobbit and it starts shooting next month.
Oh bull, Andy was the first one in the make up chair and Ian is confirmed. Surely they don't plan on filming them without a contract.

mjc

rezuth said:
Oh bull, Andy was the first one in the make up chair and Ian is confirmed. Surely they don't plan on filming them without a contract.

Ian and Andy are both in it, filming is already underway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom