• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BobLoblaw said:
I've never read the books and finally saw all 5 movies back to back last year, but Snape always seemed like a sneaky/corrupt character, so this pic doesn't surprise me in the least.
The problem is that it's just a little too obvious, if you know what I mean.

acidviper

Banned
DrForester said:
Helen McCrory - Narcissa Malfoy
250px-Narcissa_Malfoy.PNG
Had someone else in mind for her. Oh well. Her scene with Potter in book 7 aint going to be as loverly as I imagined.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So so so excited. Never been this excited for a Potter film (Goblet of Fire came close.)

800px-Half-Blood_Prince_DarkSide_1920x1200.jpg

Why is Snape on that side OH WAIT A SECOND-

BorkBork said:
I really hope they went and fixed it up, because that sounds awful, especially the end.

Thats why the 6 month delay I thought?

I've never read the books and finally saw all 5 movies back to back last year, but Snape always seemed like a sneaky/corrupt character, so this pic doesn't surprise me in the least.

Snape is the best character of the series. Also the best casting done for the movies.

Ashhong

the fact that Snape is on the picture with the bad guys kind of spoils a little doesnt it?

aw, didnt read the thread and i guess i was beaten. should have known

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
NetMapel said:
Not as sexy as Snape. Look at his sexiness :D

BorkBork said:
That's just how Rickman rolls.

http://www.potterpuppetpals.com/SexySnape.htm

Regulus Tera said:
Oh fuck, I had forgot Bellatrix made a (
short
) appearance in this one.

And it looks amazing going by the trailers. :D

Bellatrix01.png

RT excerpt said:
Dazzlingly well made and perhaps deliberately less fanciful than the previous entries, this one is played in a mode closer to palpable life-or-death drama than any of the others and is quite effective as such.

Yes. :D

TheDoppelganger said:
there was a test screening way back in September and AICN posted their reviews back then.

beware spoilers

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38251

I blame viciouskillersquirrel. Damnit.
Disgust01.gif

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
cartoon_soldier said:
Thats why the 6 month delay I thought?

The official reason for the delay was that WB thinks they would make more money in the summer than last fall, however Harry potter would have had last Holiday season pretty much to itself, nothing really notable came out.

Could also be that after The Dark Knight, WB wanted to make sure they had some really big blockbuster for 2009. Had Potter and Dark Knight been 2008, their 2009 number probably would have looked pretty pathetic.

There was also a rumor than Danial Radcliffs participation in Equus last fall here in the USA might have stirred controversy they wanted to avoid.

Ashhong said:
the fact that Snape is on the picture with the bad guys kind of spoils a little doesnt it?

aw, didnt read the thread and i guess i was beaten. should have known

It just confuses the non book readers more. Well when they see the end anyway.

The official reason for the delay was that WB thinks they would make more money in the summer than last fall, however Harry potter would have had last Holiday season pretty much to itself, nothing really notable came out.

Could also be that after The Dark Knight, WB wanted to make sure they had some really big blockbuster for 2009.

There was also a rumor than Danial Radcliffs participation in Equas last fall here in the USA might have stirred controversy they wanted to avoid.

Well, I am assuming they didn't just sit on their asses for 6 months and did some more editing on that thing.

Andrex said:
I blame viciouskillersquirrel. Damnit.
Disgust01.gif
Wait what?

EDIT: My girlfriend just called to inform me that we'll be seeing this movie on day one at a small "boutique" cinema that serves food, drinks etc. in order to avoid crowds of kiddies.

it's also only rated PG. don't get your hopes up on too many changes from the screening! maybe someone could compare the latest trailers and see if any scenes might match up to the book's known ending.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
TheDoppelganger said:
it's also only rated PG. don't get your hopes up on too many changes from the screening! maybe someone could compare the latest trailers and see if any scenes might match up to the book's known ending.

Nothing really violent happened in the book to warrant a PG-13 rating though. Apparently the IMAX cut is PG-13

Based on the trailer
It looks like the ending is all there. Seems to be a better inside the school, Harry duels Snape outside, etc. Only thing in the book that I would have thought warranted a PG-13 rating was the Inferi, but based on they trailer they look sufficiently scary.

this guy

DrForester said:
Nothing really violent happened in the book to warrant a PG-13 rating though. Apparently the IMAX cut is PG-13

Based on the trailer
It looks like the ending is all there. Seems to be a better inside the school, Harry duels Snape outside, etc. Only thing in the book that I would have thought warranted a PG-13 rating was the Inferi, but based on they trailer they look sufficiently scary.
I'm surprised at the rating. When I saw the trailer at the theater the movie looked really dark. Also,
That one spell that Harry learns from the Half Blood Prince (Sectumsempra, maybe?) is pretty gruesome. I wonder if they cut down on the blood for those scenes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Wait what?

AICN said:
The problem with all of this romance is All of This Romance. It dominates the movie, drawing our focus away not only from major plot points – which fall disastrously through the cracks – but also deters the mood, which, in a (nearly) penultimate film, should be at the forefront.

The title of this film is Harry Potter and the HALF-BLOOD PRINCE but the title character gets next to no screen time and even less explanation, save for a few asides that, if you haven't read the book, may as well have been cut. Better to call the movie Harry Potter and the Hormones from Hedes and save us our disillusionment.

YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM is what I'm saying.
Frown01.gif

BorkBork said:
I really hope they went and fixed it up, because that sounds awful, especially the end.
That ending can't be right. Even in the trailers
Harry is shown fighting Snape

If that's accurate, and there really is no
major battle
at the end that'll be so anticlimatic it will mean insta-fail.

Boogie9IGN

brandonh83 said:
Listening to the soundtrack. Of course it's no John Williams score, but Hooper nonetheless does great things with atmosphere and he
wrote a theme for Dumbledore's death which is present a time or two throughout the score, then comes out in full force at the end and it's quite beautiful/tragic

Very good soundtrack.

Where'd you hear this?!

Raistlin

DrForester said:
Before that. It's supposed to be released next fall (part 1). They're already filming now. There's been some pictures that have leaked since there's alot of location filming.

The Shell Cottage (don't worry nothing spoilery about picture or name)
425px-Harry_Potter_Shell_Cottage_Freshwater_West.JPG

Current plan is November 2010 for Party 1, July 2011 for Part 2.

Damn, their set designer(s) continue to amaze

Onix said:
Did I imply something spoilerific?

Regulus Tera said:
You really should read all the books.
Eh, they're in my backlog.
Right next to The Great War, Letters From America, Howl's Moving Castle, Seeing Indians, Magician, Mandingo, The Iliad, The Prince and The Lucifer Effect. I'll get to them eventually.

UraMallas

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Eh, they're in my backlog.
Read the first two chapters of HBP tonight so you won't get anything more spoiled for you. Seriously, it'll take maybe 30 minutes. I'm on your side though, with regards to spoilers in these threads but if you have the 30 minutes tonight to read the first two chapters, you'll be in a lot better shape going in to the movie and coming into these threads. Honestly, and I'm not being a dick, I really think if you picked up the book and read for 30 minutes you could tread a lot more heavily in these threads.

DrForester said:
Yeah, Set Design and costumes have been stellar in all films. They've also done excellent in casting, even the smaller roles.
I found that they were a bit inconsistent with regards to clothing but I've loved basically all designs they've done for buildings and outside environments.

MotherFan

DrForester said:
Before that. It's supposed to be released next fall (part 1). They're already filming now. There's been some pictures that have leaked since there's alot of location filming.

The Shell Cottage (don't worry nothing spoilery about picture or name)
425px-Harry_Potter_Shell_Cottage_Freshwater_West.JPG

Current plan is November 2010 for Part 1, July 2011 for Part 2.

Do they also have any pics of the Lovegood house?

UraMallas said:
Read the first two chapters of HBP tonight so you won't get anything more spoiled for you. Seriously, it'll take maybe 30 minutes. I'm on your side though, with regards to spoilers in these threads but if you have the 30 minutes tonight to read the first two chapters, you'll be in a lot better shape going in to the movie and coming into these threads. Honestly, and I'm not being a dick, I really think if you picked up the book and read for 30 minutes you could tread a lot more heavily in these threads.

I found that they were a bit inconsistent with regards to clothing but I've loved basically all designs they've done for buildings and outside environments.
If I start them, I'll devour it until the end and I haven't read books 2 - 5. Down that path, madness lies.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I.F. said:
That ending can't be right. Even in the trailers
Harry is shown fighting Snape

If that's accurate, and there really is no
major battle
at the end that'll be so anticlimatic it will mean insta-fail.

That
Snape/Harry confrontation
IS mentioned in the AICN screening and is consistent with what we see in the trailer.
It's not really a fight. anyways. We'll see about the rest of the bit about the Death Eater and Dumbledore's funeral

I really hoped the delay was to fix those major issues, but I doubt it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
favouriteflavour said:
So how much money does Rowling get from the movies? Must be money fights all round at her place.
from the money shes already made, i doubt she gives a fudge

D23

so are you guys going to see it on the 15th or wait for the imax on the 29th?? is the 3d scenes worth the wait?? hmm

I always wonder -- what is the average consumer's* experience with these films? I read many of the books back-to-back-to-back so I could follow the story all the way through.

But when people wait 1 or 2 years between films, do they really remember what is going on? Or are they just showing up for the effects, etc.?

* edit: I'm talking about the average viewer who has not read the books

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
BorkBork said:
That
Snape/Harry confrontation
IS mentioned in the AICN screening and is consistent with what we see in the trailer.
It's not really a fight. anyways. We'll see about the rest of the bit about the Death Eater and Dumbledore's funeral

I really hoped the delay was to fix those major issues, but I doubt it.

Lets be honest about the ending here...

There really is no big battle, not like the previous books. There is no "fight" between Harry and Snape. Snape just knocks him to the ground a few times. None of the battle inside Hogwarts was ever really seen, we hear about it afterwards, and catch a few glimpses as Harry runs outside, but that's it. Half Blood prince is not an action packed book. The scene in the cave is where most the action of the ending come from.

Raistlin

D23 said:
so are you guys going to see it on the 15th or wait for the imax on the 29th?? is the 3d scenes worth the wait?? hmm

I'm waiting ... PG-13 ftw

DrForester said:
Lets be honest about the ending here...

There really is no big battle, not like the previous books. There is no "fight" between Harry and Snape. Snape just knocks him to the ground a few times. None of the battle inside Hogwarts was ever really seen,w e hear about it afterwards, and catch a few glimpses as Harry runs outside, but that's it. Half Blood prince is not an action packed book. The scene in the cave is where most the action of the ending come from.

From what I recall, there a plenty of scenes that are painted. Though it's been a while since I read it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Battersea Power Station said:
I always wonder -- what is the average consumer's experience with these films? I read many of the books back-to-back-to-back so I could follow the story all the way through.

But when people wait 1 or 2 years between films, do they really remember what is going on? Or are they just showing up for the effects, etc.?

Well, they can watch the DVD's and all the movies show up on cable TV leading up to release.

UraMallas

I always wonder -- what is the average consumer's experience with these films? I read many of the books back-to-back-to-back so I could follow the story all the way through.

I just re-watch the movies. Simple enough.

DrForester said:
Well, they can watch the DVD's and all the movies show up on cable TV leading up to release.
Ta-da.

Heh. I wasn't asking for advice. I was just wondering how the mass market views the films, not that I expect any of us to be able to answer that. Do they remember all the details about Voldemort's childhood history and all the things that Harry's learned and all the goodies his posse has picked up over the years and then say "I can't wait to see what happens next!" or are they thinking "Hey, cool, a new Harry Potter film. I hope there's flying around on brooms and shit."

Just spouting off curiosities.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Heh. I wasn't asking for advice. I was just wondering how the mass market views the films, not that I expect any of us to be able to answer that. Do they remember all the details about Voldemort's childhood history and all the things that Harry's learned and all the goodies his posse has picked up over the years and then say "I can't wait to see what happens next!" or are they thinking "Hey, cool, a new Harry Potter film. I hope there's flying around on brooms and shit."

Just spouting off curiosities.

Probably a little from column A and a lot from column B. It's summer blockbuster season. People just to go see movies as brainless popcorn flicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom