• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RT on vs Off, can you tell which one is which?

Which one has RT on?

• Total voters

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Those are some worst examples. RT GI in metro makes most difference outside in daylight. There is absolutely no difference in that starting area.
Why didn't he choose good examples? Some of best can be found in Metro.
I personally play with RT. It looks fantastic in some scenes

Ray tracing needs to be used specifically where it produces a clear improvement in visuals and scene consistency or it isn't worth the resources used for it. I had to look hard and I cannot say for sure which is which in some cases which could speak more for bad implementation of ray tracing than a determent against ray tracing itself.

regawdless

Banned
Pretty clear to me, but those scenes are not very good to show the differences. Fast moving car chase in Cyberpunk, like, come on. Scene from Metro where the difference is not visible. Stupid not in-game benchmark from WD Legion. Although it's at least more easily to spot there if you know where to look.

He could've used sequences where it's totally obvious what's raytraced and what not, but he didn't.

I'm not surprised that you, AMD defense force and fanboi number one, post this video. There's nothing to discuss here.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Those are some worst examples. RT GI in metro makes most difference outside in daylight. There is absolutely no difference in that starting area.
Why didn't he choose good examples? Some of best can be found in Metro.
I personally play with RT. It looks fantastic in some scenes
If he picked obvious examples this would be less fun.

regawdless

Banned
Which one has raytraced shadows? (Description is included obviously, it's just an example how stupid that video is).

LKbtvri_d.webp

martino

and this is how majority low perception skill (or often also because of equipment) kill video game advancement ...
add fanboy to the mix (like ot) and this happen...
on the same note there is also a hot debate on performance of cyberpunk with my friends...they "see" no performance problem on ps4 pro and are happy about the game (that i can understand).
i'm just sad about their low perception skill and their lack of step back for their ps4 / xone s friends....
they are lot of people like this....let's hope the industry doesn't notice they can go there (ignore rt and go back to low framerate)

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
LOL this video is so disingenous. He chose the worst examples to actually see raytracing anywhere and asks to see the difference - I call BS on this guy.

1. A clear giveaway is reflections especially in case of WD where it's ONLY reflections that is RT. So to me option 2 in benchmark seems to be the one with raytracing.
2. Metro GI is not really showcased in the initial scene as it's a dark tunnel.
3. Cyberpunk looks awesome with RT but once again showing a car chase is not a great way to showcase lighting, reflections and shadows.

So either get examples of walking through an open area or stop clickbaiting on shit videos.

Amey

With reflections it's a really easy tell. RT is Option 2. SSR is quite noticeably noisy in Cyberpunk, but less noisy compared to RE engine.
When using no RT but DLSS ON does the SSR get denoised?
Other RT effects are not that necessary for Cyberpunk. Default GI solution is pretty good. And Contact shadows make up for some of the RT shadow accuracy.

Last edited:
Shitty example for both pros and cons of RT because you can easily distinguish based on the reflections which has RT and which not, but he also picked the worst possible spot for the Metro one to showcase RT. He does make a point and that is, ATM, raytracing is being used as marketing gimmick and until maybe 2-3-4 years in the future or more when games will be made from ground up with ray tracing only thats what they'll just remain, marketing gimmicks. Don't get me wrong, I say marketing gimmicks, but they add a ton of small realistic details to the scene which is nice but realistically speaking when you're playing you'll rarely notice it with the only exceptions being reflections which are very obvious and do look nice no doubt. They also chose a lot of shitty games to market RT like Fortnite or other MP games. Who the fuck plays with such demanding effects in a MP mach where every frame counts? Stupid. I love raytracing but the way corporations use it is just bad.

So uh... you know the cyberpunk footage where the left and right edges of the screen are NOT constantly glitching? That's the ray traced footage. It can be very difficult to spot constant graphical errors on both sides of the camera that never go away and are accompanied by huge dark outlines, but they're definitely there.

regawdless

Banned
Not any less biased than only showing examples where the difference is blatantly obvious. What would be the point of a "can you see the difference" video if the differences were obvious?

What's the point of a video that only shows scenes where the differences are barely visible? It's stupid biased bait.

While actually playing the likes of Control or Cyberpunk with raytracing, the difference is striking and totally obvious. Making this video useless and again - stupid.

I want 60fps. Right now RT takes away power to do that so until the point its just a regular inclusion i'm not too concerned about it.

v_iHuGi

Banned
RTX is the future but Raster still has some major ways to go.

I expect most devs to push Raster to the absolute limit before moving to RTX.

Híbrid Solution will be the way this generation.

regawdless

Banned
I want 60fps. Right now RT takes away power to do that so until the point its just a regular inclusion i'm not too concerned about it.

Depends on your hardware. I'm playing Cyberpunk maxed with raytracing at 1440p with DLSS quality at 60fps (often 70, sometimes dips into the low 50s. Feels very responsive and fluid with Gsync). Looks spectacular and runs great.

3080 and 8700k.

TheStam

In game you can really tell the difference I feel. But at this point I don't have the firepower for more than a couple of RT settings in Cyberpunk, but it is obviously the future. As the console generation progresses I suspect we will see PC versions utilizing more and more impressive RT implementations as new hardware becomes available and we will see some people claim there is no difference, basically the new "The eye cannot see past 30 fps" argument.

ethomaz

Banned
It shows pretty good difference in all games it was used until now.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say?

I can make a render that looks exactly the same in rasterization and ray-tracing.... that makes ray-tracing useless? Nope.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
blablabla yes yes it's not worth it 95% of the time.
welcome to high end PC gaming.

Raytracing is mostly bullshit in 2077

it's hella impresive in minecraft RTX tho

mcz117chief

Can you tell me what quality settings we have for shadows here on this salt lake at noon? You can't? Then obviously shadows are pointless in videogames. Gotcha!
/S

regawdless

Banned
It shows pretty good difference in all games it was used until now.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say?

I can make a render that looks exactly the same in rasterization and ray-tracing.... that makes ray-tracing useless? Nope.

The point of this thread is, what Ilien does in every GPU related topic:

Downplay everything Nvidia does, shit on raytracing. Doing so, he desperately tries to convince himself that getting that tiny AMD tattoo on his **** wasn't a totally stupid idea after all. Which it was, obviously, but he just can't admit it.

regawdless

Banned
LOL i looked at your example and dont know which is which. I can see there is a slight difference between the two, but which one is supposed to be the better one?

The first image for example has objects in shadowy areas that shouldn't be as bright as they are, because they're lit wrong. Second image does it correctly.

But I agree, these aren't very obvious examples for still pictures.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
100% option 2. Was not easy to tell at first, but then some reflections give it away. Some stuff can be done using SSR, some just can't.

I don't think these examples were very good though, there are definitely games (and locations in these games) where it's massively more obvious. But yeah, overall I agree that it's not the huge deal some are making it out to be (and Nvidia wants it to be).

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The point of this thread is, what Ilien does in every GPU related topic:

Downplay everything Nvidia does, shit on raytracing. Doing so, he desperately tries to convince himself that getting that tiny AMD tattoo on his **** wasn't a totally stupid idea after all. Which it was, obviously, but he just can't admit it.
I understand that but AMD is pushing Ray-tracing too.

ReBurn

Gold Member
What's the point of a video that only shows scenes where the differences are barely visible? It's stupid biased bait.

While actually playing the likes of Control or Cyberpunk with raytracing, the difference is striking and totally obvious. Making this video useless and again - stupid.

Cant even have a good time trying to spot the differences without someone getting butthurt I guess.

KzYBHRP.jpg

regawdless

Banned
I understand that but AMD is pushing Ray-tracing too.

Because they have no other option, Nvidia started it and they had to follow. And in raytracing heavy scenarios AMD cards are way slower, thus Ilien downplaying raytracing. Otherwise it would hurt him too much.

iHaunter

RTX is not magic, the developers have to implement it in a way that matters. I hate how people use idiotic cherry-picked examples to prove how bad it is when in reality, it's the devs' fault for sucking at implementing it.

CAB_Life

This man is waffling on far too much.

Footage starts at 4:25 for anyone wondering.

Thank you! Get to the point already. 5 minute intro is just annoying.

Edit: You can spot the RT if you pay attention to the streets/ puddles/ reflections. It's definitely noticeable, but I'm perfectly fine with baked lighting too.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Because they have no other option, Nvidia started it and they had to follow. And in raytracing heavy scenarios AMD cards are way slower, thus Ilien downplaying raytracing. Otherwise it would hurt him too much.
I'm not sure about that.
AMD indeed have a inferior RT hardware but they are pushing RT for some years already... perhaps even before nVidia.

Their Ray-tracing API called Radeon Rays is already in version 4.0.

It is a API created 5 years ago.

Top Bottom