• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RT on vs Off, can you tell which one is which?

Which one has RT on?

• Total voters

Vae_Victis

Banned
The thing is, "ray tracing" is not one defined effect, like "anisotropic filtering" or "screen space reflections"; it's a calculation system that you can apply to a lot of different things.

What you are actually looking at with so-called "ray tracing" should be classified as "hardware-accelerated ray tracing", which then in practice is usually used for "full scene path tracing", or "global illumination"; which are particular implementations of ray tracing that are very computationally intensive, and therefore require hardware acceleration. Screen space reflections, for example, are a form of "ray tracing", but they are light enough that you don't need dedicated hardware to implement them.

On a similar vein, you could do 3D in games before hardware-accelerated 3D, but things could only go so far.

"Ray tracing" is just a meaningless marketing buzzword, the point is what you do with it, how resource-intensive it is, and what the end result is. Which, of course, all need to be judge on a case-by-case basis. IMHO the current hardware for ray tracing is still too immature for a solid paradigm shift on the development side, and the technique behind it to make it really and consistently impactful for the end user is not there yet.

What will happen in the future is very hard to tell right now, it could hit a brick ceiling hardware-side and remain relegated mostly to some specific "support" functions in visuals, it could completely replace traditional light rendering in games in the span of 5-10 years, or some other alternative solution we'll come up with in the meantime could make it go the way of ellipsoid-based 3D graphics.

llien

Not really. AMD can do raytraced shadows pretty well, but that about sums it up. As soon as you have raytraced reflections or GI/AO, the AMD performance drops by a ton.

Because there suddenly are "reflaction rays" and "shadow rays", right?
The mind boggling part is how little it takes you guys to make stuff up.

Honey Bunny

If someone does not see the difference, then they are blind, and possibly an idiot.

cyberpunk2077_2020_12p9kms.jpg

cyberpunk2077_2020_12rskbs.jpg
40 fps drop for slightly better lighting - if this wasn't called raytracing none of you would use it.

Inviusx

Only time I've ever been excited about Ray Tracing was seeing Insomniac include some of its features at 60fps. To me, Ray Tracing has always meant 30fps so seeing them prove me wrong was pretty hype. I feel like they will be the exception though....

Jaxcellent

You know, IMO they are using this ray tracing as a too big of a deal, the effect will probably be about the same when you do a super low res version of a certain reflection.. or maybe do the reflection at a super low fps.. this way it would hopefully be possible to keep 60 frames a sec for the game.. its a nice effect sometimes but I'm not so sure the performance hit it worth it...

iorek21

RT is still long ways to go, specially on consoles and low budget specs. Looks great and very impressive, but the cost, as of now, is way too high. Either devs find a way to make it less demanding or we’re only going to get to its full potential on PS6/Xbox XXX.

RT feels like the modern Nvidia Physx: impressive but too demanding/barely used, even nowadays.

Top Bottom