• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTP: Donkey Kong Country

RTP = remembering the party.

Ok, both gaming age and sales-age have beena little stale lately.
Trollers and ignorant fanboys banned, DS continues domination, and everyone's waiting for next-gen to start.

It is because of this I decided to start a new type of thread. Remember the party threads.

In threads like these everyone takes an old, great game and gives it a run-through and sees how they do. We also remember the party, that is, discuss how great the game is. (People can post sales of the game too if they like)

If you want to participate here are the rules for this particular game
Play through it. You are only allowed to revisit areas once for secret items. (Or only when you've just acquired an ability that allows you to get something new)

BTW: This thread was originally titled RTP: Donkey Kong Country.
People complained about DKC sucking so I changed it to Chrono Trigger. Anyone who says this game sucks deserves to be gut-punched in the stomach.
BBTW: The discussion has shifted back to DKC. Chrono Trigger was good, but its sequel sucked.

Edit: P.S Lets all try not to create threads like these. We'll do one RTP thread a week. If you have an idea for a good RTP thread (Games must be popular, short to medium in length, from last-gen or farther back, and fun) give me a private msg and i'll choose the best one.

This is different than late to the party.

This is enjoying REALLY old games and observing how much obscure crap we remember.

The purpose of this thread is to have people PLAY through the old games and see how they do as opposed to just casual talk and remembrance of a game.

C'mon, who heres gonna give it a try?

Earthstrike said:
The purpose of this thread is to have people PLAY through the old games and see how they do as opposed to just casual talk and remembrance of a game.

C'mon, who heres gonna give it a try?

we dont play games anymore

I used to enjoy the second one like crazy when I was a kid, but going back to them now doesn't really do anything for me. I actually have more fun with collect-a-Kong 64 than the Country games.

meppi

Earthstrike said:
The purpose of this thread is to have people PLAY through the old games
I do that all the time...perhaps not through to the end, but oh well.

Hated the 2nd DKC back in the day, but for some reason when I recently bought it on GBA I loved it.

br026b_keep_trying.gif

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It's still named after DKC, and as awesome as Chrono Trigger is, it's not exactly short to medium in length. ;p

MGrant

Would be better if we didn't already have a bunch of people saying "Remember Chrono Trigger? It was awesome. LOL Chrono Cross sux." in every RPG thread on the forum.

Ok guys I tried, god dammit, I tried.

****, Well my brother bought Wetrix online and it'll be shipped here soon. Maybe I should've made a thread about that game.

P.S Guys I am Lolling

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Rareware hatred is still as potent as ever. Oddly enough, I recently revisited Donkey Kong Country before losing interest and moving back to Mario and Luigi.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The DKC games were awesomo. Best platformers after Super Mario World. YI was pretty close to DKC3.

ZeoVGM

Banned
in terms of platformers on SNES imo

DKC2 > SMW > YI > DKC3 > DKC1

all amazing games

ah i remember when rare could do no wrong

DKC1 was made even better on GBA. worse graphics, less quality in the music, but so much more organized and more stuff to do.

little disappointed by the DKC2 port. not sure why they would track less stats than the DKC1 port.

oh, and go get the DKC3 port. the same composer of the SNES games redid the whole soundtrack and it's SO much better (except the snow stage -- what the **** is that?)

so rare, how about DKC4 for DS

omg rite said:
in terms of platformers on SNES imo

DKC2 > SMW > YI > DKC3 > DKC1

all amazing games

ah i remember when rare could do no wrong

how rare, how about DKC4 for DS

Gosh that list is so ****ed.

It should be: YI>/=SMW>>>DKC2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DKC3

ZeoVGM

Banned
BrandNew said:
Gosh that list is so ****ed.

It should be: YI>/=SMW>>>DKC2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DKC3

actually, i did **** up. heh. i meant YI > SMW. the rest stands though! i ****ing LOVE DKC2

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
For the record, I own all of Rare's N64 and GBA games, and most of their SNES and GB/GBC games. It was only towards the end of the N64 era that Rare started falling apart on me. I think they were in their prime during the early-mid N64 years, though. Even though their Xbox content was paltry and disappointing, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and arguably got my X360 only for their launch games. Hell, to this day, not including XBL Arcade, Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero are the only X360 games I own! After realizing how atrocious those two games were, however, I finally lost hope in them as a company.

That said. I never liked the DKC games. The only thing they had going for them back in the SNES days was graphics. IMHO, of course.

Oliver.S

Ah...Christmas 1995 and DKC in my hands.. happy times with an fantastic game. But DKC 2 is the real masterpiece in the trilogy.

as bad as DKC3 was, it had the superior lost world (except for that awsome all animal one in DKC2) and superior secret last boss - only one really good normal boss though, that tin can dude ruled!

my first file on DCK3 screwed up once too, it said it gave me the ski for the jetski from the brother bear, but it didn't - i never noticed until i saved... that wasn't a happy christmas X(

BrandNew said:
Boooooo!!

I actually agree with him... there were so many cool little rewards in DKC2 - collecting all the DK coins got you a cool alt ending (beating mario, link and yoshi was sweet), and having to collect every banana coin made me come back for more time and time again.

DKC 2 was definitely the best. DKC3 seemed like too much, (and re-used elements that got played out), and I guess DKC had to little.

Hey lets all see how we do with a quick playthrough of DKC2!!
Remember the party!
(See what I did there?)

P.S NSMB is overrated. DKC2 is ahead of to quite some degree. (On a gameplay comparison alone)

dbish

Earthstrike said:
DKC 2 was definitely the best. DKC3 seemed like too much, (and re-used elements that got played out), and I guess DKC had to little.

Hey lets all see how we do with a quick playthrough of DKC2!!
Remember the party!
(See what I did there?)

P.S NSMB is overrated. DKC2 is ahead of to quite some degree. (On a gameplay comparison alone)

Every part of this post is true, except it must be said that DKC2 is also better when comparing music. That is all.

Amir0x

Banned
jgkspsx said:
Indeed, and has almost completely destroyed Donkey Kong. Thank god the series is probably dead forever.

I consider Mario vs. Donkey Kong the only game in the past ten+ years worthy of having his name.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
jgkspsx said:
Indeed, and has almost completely destroyed Donkey Kong. Thank god the series is probably dead forever.

What? LOL, no. Donkey Kong is indeed probably dead, but it's hardly becuase of Rare. :lol

Christopher

It's been years now, get over it. The party has been over.

...although I did like DKC one and two...three was pure rubbish.

Top Bottom