• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: La-Mulana | The toughest archaeological action-adventure metroidvania ever!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Was able to have some decent progression today. Finally found something useful in the Temple of Moonlight, the Axe. WIth that I was finally able to beat the boss in Spring in the Sky (which is then the second boss Ive beaten). The axe was really helpful, used that together with the flares to take him out, but probably used like 25 tried before i was finally able to do it. That fire-ball attack was ridiulously hard to avoid - and i only had health to avoid three of them. Finally did it in the end though and got some more health. I had also assumed beating the boss would remove the water considering some of the text around - seemed i just had to attack a thing at the bottom to do that - and fill the pyramid-area with water too. So im not making decent progress, even got the Chakram! Guess I now need another red diamond to try my hand on either the boss in the pyramid again, or the underground boss!

Edit: Got the mirror as well which i guess can come in handy later, even though it doesnt seem like it opened up anything for me right now.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Beat the bosses in Temple of the Sun and Mausoleum of the Giants, meaning Ive now done four bosses. Also did the miniboss in Temple of Moonlight to get the snake-thing, and then the miniboss in the Surface to get the doublejump. So im making progress.

Btw, why cant i warp to all the save points, for instance the one in Mausoleum of the Giants?

Donuts

I just wanted to pop into this thread and say that La Mulana is easily one of the best (and most infuriating) games I've ever played. It really holds a special place in my heart. I played it with my girlfriend and had a great time solving (and stumbling through) the puzzles and finally beating this game. I can't wait for La Mulana 2, which should be nearing the end of its development!

Also, the soundtrack is so good!

Sooooo despite this being one of the first Steam games I ever bought back in 2013, I've only properly played it for a couple of weeks now (I'm about 10 hours in).

I've felt like I've been going to lots of places but not making much progress. Lots of dead ends. But the past few days things have really been coming together.

[I'm not sure what I should and shouldn't spoiler tag, so instead, I'll just black out the whole lot to be on the safe side. Early game spoilers only!]

I've finally learned there's a pause screen where I can view maps. I've finally found the Holy Grail so I can teleport to save points. I literally just today learned about that hot spring at the beginning of the game where I can fully heal myself, so no longer having to grind for the green orbs to heal! And I just beat my first boss, the twin-headed serpent. I actually did find that minecart boss, but he kept kicking my ass so I figured I probably shouldn't be facing that dude yet, so I decided to go back to the Gate of Guidance and properly explore everything there. Now that I know I can pretty much full heal and save whenever I want (and teleport instead of backtracking) I feel the game has opened up a hell of a lot more to me.

So now I'm off to explore some more. Enjoying it a lot after some early frustrations!

1upsuper

Sooooo despite this being one of the first Steam games I ever bought back in 2013, I've only properly played it for a couple of weeks now (I'm about 10 hours in).

I've felt like I've been going to lots of places but not making much progress. Lots of dead ends. But the past few days things have really been coming together.

[I'm not sure what I should and shouldn't spoiler tag, so instead, I'll just black out the whole lot to be on the safe side. Early game spoilers only!]

I've finally learned there's a pause screen where I can view maps. I've finally found the Holy Grail so I can teleport to save points. I literally just today learned about that hot spring at the beginning of the game where I can fully heal myself, so no longer having to grind for the green orbs to heal! And I just beat my first boss, the twin-headed serpent. I actually did find that minecart boss, but he kept kicking my ass so I figured I probably shouldn't be facing that dude yet, so I decided to go back to the Gate of Guidance and properly explore everything there. Now that I know I can pretty much full heal and save whenever I want (and teleport instead of backtracking) I feel the game has opened up a hell of a lot more to me.

So now I'm off to explore some more. Enjoying it a lot after some early frustrations!

Hey, I should have seen this sooner! Always a pleasure to see someone new enter the ruins. It sounds like you're off to a strong start and you've figured out a couple really important fundamentals. Please keep us posted on your progress
and feel free to ask for hints if/when you need help.

Hey, I should have seen this sooner! Always a pleasure to see someone new enter the ruins. It sounds like you're off to a strong start and you've figured out a couple really important fundamentals. Please keep us posted on your progress
and feel free to ask for hints if/when you need help.

I haven't made too much more progress since to be honest!

I've beat a couple of minibosses, and had a good explore of the Inferno Cavern, but I'm not sure where I should be going next, really, There's the Twin Labyrinths (entrance above the Inferno Cavern rather than from the Mausoleum) which I need to explore more of, but the miniboss there is currently kicking my ass. There's also the Endless Corridor, but I'm not sure I can do anything there yet. I managed to get the chest to open to get the map, but at a loss for what else to do there. Oh, and the area to the right of the Temple of the Sun, but it's too dark to navigate properly. I thought the flare gun I found would help but I guess not...

I have access to the boss in the Mausoleum, but I don't have a gem with which to awaken it. There's one in the looping bit of the Twin Labyrinths, but I'm not sure how to pick it up as it keeps turning into a bunch of bats. Not sure if this is intentional or I need to flick some kind of switch or approach it in a different way...

Feel free to offer some small hints regarding where I should go next! Nothing outright spoilery, but just maybe some guidance on what area I should focus on :)

1upsuper

I haven't made too much more progress since to be honest!

I've beat a couple of minibosses, and had a good explore of the Inferno Cavern, but I'm not sure where I should be going next, really, There's the Twin Labyrinths (entrance above the Inferno Cavern rather than from the Mausoleum) which I need to explore more of, but the miniboss there is currently kicking my ass. There's also the Endless Corridor, but I'm not sure I can do anything there yet. I managed to get the chest to open to get the map, but at a loss for what else to do there. Oh, and the area to the right of the Temple of the Sun, but it's too dark to navigate properly. I thought the flare gun I found would help but I guess not...

I have access to the boss in the Mausoleum, but I don't have a gem with which to awaken it. There's one in the looping bit of the Twin Labyrinths, but I'm not sure how to pick it up as it keeps turning into a bunch of bats. Not sure if this is intentional or I need to flick some kind of switch or approach it in a different way...

Feel free to offer some small hints regarding where I should go next! Nothing outright spoilery, but just maybe some guidance on what area I should focus on :)

For now, I would recommend
focusing on the Mausoleum of Giants.
And don't worry too much about that batty gem...

That was gonna be my next point anyway as there were a couple of chests there unopened. Realised the one at the top had a corresponding switch which I missed before! So I've now done the boss in that area. Not sure where to go now. Will probably try the Twin Labyrinths again :D

Bit stuck for where to go again now.

Last main item I got was the Bronze Mirror. Found a couple of openings with it; The Graveyard of the Giants and another section of the Temple of Moonlight but kind of at a dead end with those places. There's a miniboss in the latter but I don't think I can beat him yet. Explored a bit of the Temple of Ruin through the former but again can't get past the miniboss.

I've beat the minibosses in the Twin Labyrinth and found the ankh, but no corresponding jewel to open it. Also have access to the ankh in the Spring in the Sky. I've beat the bosses in the Gate of Guidance, Mausoleum of the Giants, and Temple of the Sun.

Any pointers on where to focus on next would be much appreciated :)

Bit stuck for where to go again now.

Last main item I got was the Bronze Mirror. Found a couple of openings with it; The Graveyard of the Giants and another section of the Temple of Moonlight but kind of at a dead end with those places. There's a miniboss in the latter but I don't think I can beat him yet. Explored a bit of the Temple of Ruin through the former but again can't get past the miniboss.

I've beat the minibosses in the Twin Labyrinth and found the ankh, but no corresponding jewel to open it. Also have access to the ankh in the Spring in the Sky. I've beat the bosses in the Gate of Guidance, Mausoleum of the Giants, and Temple of the Sun.

Any pointers on where to focus on next would be much appreciated :)

Have you gotten the Ax from Temple of Moonlight? It's to the left of the portal from the Temple of the Sun. It is WAY better than most whips (fuck you, bats!)

Have you gotten the Ax from Temple of Moonlight? It's to the left of the portal from the Temple of the Sun. It is WAY better than most whips (fuck you, bats!)

Do you mean this bit?

http://imgur.com/a/tR1mc

I'm at a loss how to get to the switch. I've broken several walls, revealing that ladder, but I can't seem to get there. I figured I'd be able to warp to it but the only warp that's working there is the one on the far left, from the Graveyard of the Giants entrance...

EDIT:
Found Isis' Pendant so now have Fairies. They don't seem to have done much so far with regards to progress...I still have no idea where to go!

I've wanted to get into this game for years now but every time I'm ready with one of these threads, I continue to read the thread and realize that it sounds utterly obnoxious and I'll probably freak out at it within a few hours.

I actually really like hard games, but I get the impression this game is incredibly obtuse and frustrating for the sheer sake of it.

Then again, it's probably pretty damn cheap at this point so maybe one day I'll take the plunge just to see what it's all about...

Top Bottom