• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: La-Mulana | The toughest archaeological action-adventure metroidvania ever!

1upsuper

It was way to boring and punishing. The game just kills you for investigating the most minor things making you respawn 7 minutes back and slog all the way back to that point to try something else. This is not difficult or challenging, it's just unfair time wasting.

Thank you for your post. I'm curious how far you got in the game. Also, I have to disagree with you on a pretty fundamental level. Even (and especially) if you think it's a punishing game, why do you hesitate to call it difficult or challenging? That's exactly what I'd call La-Mulana. Your comment about it being "a waste of time" isn't a particularly useful polemic. Clearly the posts in this thread are proof positive that it's worth some time, no?

NewGame

Banned
I remember having to farm enemies to get basic items, like one that would read the glyphs that told you about the death traps that caused the aforementioned instant deathtraps. I remember entering the first 'dungeon' in the game and getting to the first boss which was a snake dragon thing that was near impossible to hit without eating a fire breath. Fed up with the game and constantly having to retrace my steps to fight him again I quit.

The original reason why I bought it was because it offered "Classic Metroidvania Gameplay". This was years ago when it was a hot Wiiware classic- later I got the game as a steam download and attempted to play it again but only found frustration.

With the Steam version I also noted the ability to play a boss rush (Not remembering this from the Wii version) and still found the game to be fundamentally boring and rigid in it's play style. I think the thing that most put me off the game was the inability to aim your melee whip and the fact that jumps were static, and once performed you were basically committing to the entire arc of the jump which would be fine if I was given more time to practice the moveset and hitboxes of enemies but alas- it is a game of trial and error that punishes you with grinding items and retreading old ground for any attempt at trialing.

1upsuper

I remember having to farm enemies to get basic items, like one that would read the glyphs that told you about the death traps that caused the aforementioned instant deathtraps. I remember entering the first 'dungeon' in the game and getting to the first boss which was a snake dragon thing that was near impossible to hit without eating a fire breath. Fed up with the game and constantly having to retrace my steps to fight him again I quit.

The original reason why I bought it was because it offered "Classic Metroidvania Gameplay". This was years ago when it was a hot Wiiware classic- later I got the game as a steam download and attempted to play it again but only found frustration.

With the Steam version I also noted the ability to play a boss rush (Not remembering this from the Wii version) and still found the game to be fundamentally boring and rigid in it's play style. I think the thing that most put me off the game was the inability to aim your melee whip and the fact that jumps were static, and once performed you were basically committing to the entire arc of the jump which would be fine if I was given more time to practice the moveset and hitboxes of enemies but alas- it is a game of trial and error that punishes you with grinding items and retreading old ground for any attempt at trialing.

I assume you mean farm enemies for money to buy items, since scanning tablets does not require a consumable resource. That's really only an issue at the very start of the game. You'll need some money to pick up a couple pieces of useful gear right at the beginning, and then you'll only need to buy occasional shop item here and there. The game is front-loaded in a few ways.

I personally love games with strict jump mechanics like Castlevania, Maze of Galious, Ghosts 'n Goblins, etc. I think that strict jumping is a cool and technical mechanic when games are properly built around it, like LM. You definitely get used to it after a time, and you can also change direction during your descent if you don't jump diagonally.

Lastly, you don't need to beat any of the first four bosses for quite a while. You're free to explore areas, beef yourself up, and come back to them later. The game is far less linear than a lot of people assume. Amphisbaena, the first boss, is not particularly difficult IMO, and the trek back to her is only a couple minutes long. But if she does cause problems, you can come back whenever you're ready.

ffvorax

I should go back to it... I beat a few bosses, then got stuck on two new bosses and leaved after a while...

But it was a really interesting game!

Yaaaaaay! More La-Mulana love! \(^▽^\)(/^▽^)/

One of the first really huge localization projects I had control of and poured a lot of blood and sweat into. Always nice to see more people experience it.

1upsuper

One of the first really huge localization projects I had control of and poured a lot of blood and sweat into. Always nice to see more people experience it.
That's awesome! Your hard work really shows. A shoddy localization would have wrecked La-Mulana, so I'm very glad it got the translation it deserved.

This game is the epitome of adventure games. True adventure games.

Almost 80 hours my first gameplay. Boy was it hard... but I loved it.

Firebrand

I have a love-hate relationship with this game. I thought I'd be cool and try to beat it with minimal help. After reaching three digits playtime and looking up how the hell the mantra thing worked I just said fuck it and dropped it. The puzzles get incredibly obnoxious from the mid to late game. Doesn't help how the clues are scattered all over the world, some of the symbols like snakes are used in multiple places so it's easy to bark up the wrong tree, and of course, you never know if you even have the item you need.

It's a really well done game though otherwise, love the music. Each level having its own mythology was also cool, learning about it bit for bit, especially liked the giants area.

Fun fact about that sub-boss in the Twin Labs...
you can totally kill him without ZA WARUDO...cuz I did it and got a Steam cheevo for it.
:D

I did this! ...and then got angry at the game for spoiling one of the ingame items, haha.

Ilvocare

:((( FWIW I love the Trauma series and I'm now interested in Distorted Travesty. I frequent some more niche gaming communities that are more tailored to my interests, so GAF often feels stifling to me with how much it's geared towards the cutting edge and AAA gaming. Those sorts of one size fits all games do nothing for me, but I get that most gaffers love them.

This we can totally agree on. It's funny because I tend to be, like, REALLY low-cost in my gaming investments, and I'm still not on any current-gen consoles. So talking about the games I run into is all I can do.

I really hope you read through what you wish of the DT series LTTP, that particular monster of a thread took me months of updating a word doc to prep. The more people I can encourage to try it out and have someone to talk to about it, the better!
and also there's the boiling hype for the incoming final patch at some point in time...

Back to LM: Quick question right now:
so there's a puzzle involving untranslated normal runes. Mu is the nameless one, and that's important. Although... is the game asking me to UNTRANSLATE something to move forward??? Because that's what I gleaned from the walkthrough...

Oh shit that's real neat. The struggle is real, so... I guess you did good, then!

1upsuper

This we can totally agree on. It's funny because I tend to be, like, REALLY low-cost in my gaming investments, and I'm still not on any current-gen consoles. So talking about the games I run into is all I can do.

I really hope you read through what you wish of the DT series LTTP, that particular monster of a thread took me months of updating a word doc to prep. The more people I can encourage to try it out and have someone to talk to about it, the better!
and also there's the boiling hype for the incoming final patch at some point in time...

Back to LM: Quick question right now:
so there's a puzzle involving untranslated normal runes. Mu is the nameless one, and that's important. Although... is the game asking me to UNTRANSLATE something to move forward??? Because that's what I gleaned from the walkthrough...

Oh shit that's real neat. The struggle is real, so... I guess you did good, then!

I will definitely read through all of your impressive LTTP. It's a very impressive piece of work. I feel like this current exchange epitomizes GAF: there isn't much of an audience here for really niche games, but nowhere else do you see people in the industry pop up like just now.

While I do play current gen stuff, the games that really get me going are smaller indie experiences, or a few key established franchises that are near and dear to me. With indie games I often find stuff that is far more tailored to my interests, and by virtue of smaller teams, has more coherence and a lot more personal touches.

As for your current question about LM:
yeahhhh boiiiiii that item you've been depending on the whole game to translate stuff is now an obstacle to your progression! >:D You're working on the Tower of Ruin puzzle, right? Yeah, Mu is involved in that. You'll figure it out.

Ilvocare

I will definitely read through all of your impressive LTTP. It's a very impressive piece of work. I feel like this current exchange epitomizes GAF: there isn't much of an audience here for really niche games, but nowhere else do you see people in the industry pop up like just now.

While I do play current gen stuff, the games that really get me going are smaller indie experiences, or a few key established franchises that are near and dear to me. With indie games I often find stuff that is far more tailored to my interests, and by virtue of smaller teams, has more coherence and a lot more personal touches.

As for your current question about LM:
yeahhhh boiiiiii that item you've been depending on the whole game to translate stuff is now an obstacle to your progression! >:D You're working on the Tower of Ruin puzzle, right? Yeah, Mu is involved in that. You'll figure it out.

Thank you! I'd gladly accept feedback and questions, any you might have!

LM news:
It kinda really sucks that the game doesn't allow you to save untraslated tablets in Texttrax. It basically forces you to either copy the runes by hand OR (and I'm proud of myself for doing it this way) taking a snapshot, using Microsoft Paint to crop out all but the relevant characters, and then zoom into it in order to see EXACTLY how the 'letters' are delineated. I got the Ankh jewel, and the dais in the Inferno Cavern unlocks the Ankh! So yeah be back when I beat the next boss...

Airola

-
Step 2: Figuring out the warp maze. Fuck this 'puzzle', I had to glance at the wiki for this. The solution is almost expectedly insane. And the clues leading to it are... fucking convoluted at best. Ok, so a wise man will supposedly bend down to search for a single fallen item. That reads to me as "there's a unique item that drops below the level geometry and you have to press down in order to get it". What the game APPARENTLY meant is that you have to navigate the warp maze until you come across a series of four barrels (which took me a WHILE to notice that they were consistently respawning). The leftmost barrel apparently is guaranteed to drop a single shuriken every time you destroy it, while the others are useless. Once again, I thought this was a puzzle where you had to destroy the barrels in a certain order to unlock the way. Apparently the shuriken dropping is SO IMPORTANT that you need to use a currently-up-to-this-point-unused mechanic where after collecting it you fucking Mario-pipe-crawl through the floor in order to find the secret backside of the wall because fuck you. A) Lemeza can do that???? B) You auto-pick up items anyways, this isn't picking up an item again or for the first time! C) Lemeza can't even fucking duck or bend over when you press down in the presence of nothing anyways so like this is actually WORSE than the whole "hit your head against the wall" shit in CV2. Fuck this entire puzzle top to bottom, jesus christ.

I watched a guy playing this through in a stream and he struggled a lot in that part and he even went so far in trying to figure out what the "bended knee" means that he managed to find a place where moving Lemeza to the edge of a platform his sprite changed to look like he's bending his knee because one leg is a bit higher than the other.

If the solution would've been that it would've been amazing!

EDIT:
I put spoiler tags in case someone doesn't want to know what is not the solution to that puzzle.

1upsuper

Thank you! I'd gladly accept feedback and questions, any you might have!

LM news:
It kinda really sucks that the game doesn't allow you to save untraslated tablets in Texttrax. It basically forces you to either copy the runes by hand OR (and I'm proud of myself for doing it this way) taking a snapshot, using Microsoft Paint to crop out all but the relevant characters, and then zoom into it in order to see EXACTLY how the 'letters' are delineated. I got the Ankh jewel, and the dais in the Inferno Cavern unlocks the Ankh! So yeah be back when I beat the next boss...

Sounds good!

Airola, what's that game in your avatar?

Glad to hear it, Jawbreaker. LM is the best.

Ilvocare

Sounds good!

Airola, what's that game in your avatar?

Glad to hear it, Jawbreaker. LM is the best.

so I'm back

uh

where the fuck do I go now?

-
Beating Viy dropped me to a segment of the Chamber of Extinction that is otherwise unreachable. The shop and one-way ladder back to the Inferno Cavern are nice, I guess, but the Shiva mural is impenetrable and the hint from the priest feels useless at the moment since none of the more obvious murals will even ALLOWED to be scanned.
-
I figured I'd go to Mulbruk for some advice. She refuses to stop talking about the key fairies and how they'll solve the puzzle I failed... that's literally no help at all since I can't summon them reliably, even!
-
Bumbling around in Temple of the Sun and apparently the Sphinx blew up??? Walked into the backside of Thoth's room. Boy howdy look at all those hints I can't use yet!
-
Endless Corridor seems like the place to go... but I have NO idea how I'm supposed to suss out the La-Mulanese on the doors in order to understand what they are!

Kikirin

so I'm back

uh

where the fuck do I go now?

-
Endless Corridor seems like the place to go... but I have NO idea how I'm supposed to suss out the La-Mulanese on the doors in order to understand what they are!

Hints:
The La-Mulanese on the doors are numbers
When traveling between areas, notice how there's a banner by the doorway/ladder?
The areas in the grail warp menu are in number order.

A bit late in the thread to be bringing this up, but I'm enjoying reading these playthrough comments/impressions. It's motivated me to have another go at it from the beginning!

Ilvocare

Hints:
The La-Mulanese on the doors are numbers
When traveling between areas, notice how there's a banner by the doorway/ladder?
The areas in the grail warp menu are in number order.

A bit late in the thread to be bringing this up, but I'm enjoying reading these playthrough comments/impressions. It's motivated me to have another go at it from the beginning!

with this I ended up solving the puzzle an alternate way

the tablet in the Mausoleum of the Giants discussing the nine children has all the characters written down

so I just capture-screened all the numbers (that's 0 through 9)

upon running through the area in order to solve the puzzle I noticed there were actually two different number 0 doors

I ended up just going through in ascending order and it worked

apparently there's a more specific order you're supposed to go through in order tto unlock it faster but that information was lost to me because Mulbruk REALLY wants me to obsess over key fairies for some reason, even though I nabbed the Fairy Clothes a while back

the rest of the corridor, once again, was relatively straightforward but I died in the fifth chamber

whoops

at least I have the Twin Statue now!

1upsuper

with this I ended up solving the puzzle an alternate way

the tablet in the Mausoleum of the Giants discussing the nine children has all the characters written down

so I just capture-screened all the numbers (that's 0 through 9)

upon running through the area in order to solve the puzzle I noticed there were actually two different number 0 doors

I ended up just going through in ascending order and it worked

apparently there's a more specific order you're supposed to go through in order tto unlock it faster but that information was lost to me because Mulbruk REALLY wants me to obsess over key fairies for some reason, even though I nabbed the Fairy Clothes a while back

the rest of the corridor, once again, was relatively straightforward but I died in the fifth chamber

whoops

at least I have the Twin Statue now!

You used the brute force solution. Allow me to explain the proper solution to this puzzle which is, in my opinion, the most insane puzzle in the game:
First, you read the tablet in the first room of the second floor of the Endless Corridor. It includes four keywords. Then hopefully (it didn't work for me) you can get Mulbruk to give you an essential piece of dialogue where she explains that each number in La-Mulanese is associated with a word. She tells you all of them except she can't remember the words associated with the numbers 2 and 3. If you look back at the tablet, you'll see that two of the words basically line up with two of the words Mulbruk mentioned: numbers 5 and 9. You then know the number associated with two out of the four keywords from that tablet, and you can assume the order as well, since the order you input them in the puzzle is the same order in which they appear in the sentence from the tablet. In other words, you now have this: _ _ 5 9. But you only know the arabic numerals, not the numbers in La-Mulanese. That's where that tablet from the Mausoleum comes into play that you found. Alternatively, you can do what the other poster mentioned and go based on the numbers above each gate. This puzzle is slightly easier in the original release given how warping works. Anyway, you can also assume that the two blanks will be 2 and 3 (or 3 and 2) given that they are what Mulbruk omitted and the first two keywords from the tablet don't map onto any of the others she explained. So how do you figure out if it's 2 3 5 9 or 3 2 5 9? Look at the names of the seals in your inventory and their order. It's 2 3 5 9 (certainly because that allows the brute-force option of going in ascending order.)

That puzzle is INSANE. If I could very slightly adjust any puzzle in the game, it would be that one, just so
Mulbruk's dialogue is on a tablet somewhere instead, since it's too darn easy to miss. And her piece of dialogue is essential to solve the puzzle the *proper* way because if you don't read her dialogue, you can theoretically figure out 2 3 _ _ but you'll have no way of figuring out that 5 and 9 are the last two blanks.

I still need to pick this up on Wiiware someday.

If it's an option for you, I'd highly recommend playing the PC or Vita ports of the remake if you can (assuming you don't have a Japanese Wii), since the US WiiWare version is missing a very nice piece of bonus content for absolutely not reason that I can understand.

Ilvocare

You used the brute force solution. Allow me to explain the proper solution to this puzzle which is, in my opinion, the most insane puzzle in the game:
First, you read the tablet in the first room of the second floor of the Endless Corridor. It includes four keywords. Then hopefully (it didn't work for me) you can get Mulbruk to give you an essential piece of dialogue where she explains that each number in La-Mulanese is associated with a word. She tells you all of them except she can't remember the words associated with the numbers 2 and 3. If you look back at the tablet, you'll see that two of the words basically line up with two of the words Mulbruk mentioned: numbers 5 and 9. You then know the number associated with two out of the four keywords from that tablet, and you can assume the order as well, since the order you input them in the puzzle is the same order in which they appear in the sentence from the tablet. In other words, you now have this: _ _ 5 9. But you only know the arabic numerals, not the numbers in La-Mulanese. That's where that tablet from the Mausoleum comes into play that you found. Alternatively, you can do what the other poster mentioned and go based on the numbers above each gate. This puzzle is slightly easier in the original release given how warping works. Anyway, you can also assume that the two blanks will be 2 and 3 (or 3 and 2) given that they are what Mulbruk omitted and the first two keywords from the tablet don't map onto any of the others she explained. So how do you figure out if it's 2 3 5 9 or 3 2 5 9? Look at the names of the seals in your inventory and their order. It's 2 3 5 9 (certainly because that allows the brute-force option of going in ascending order.)

That puzzle is INSANE. If I could very slightly adjust any puzzle in the game, it would be that one, just so
Mulbruk's dialogue is on a tablet somewhere instead, since it's too darn easy to miss. And her piece of dialogue is essential to solve the puzzle the *proper* way because if you don't read her dialogue, you can theoretically figure out 2 3 _ _ but you'll have no way of figuring out that 5 and 9 are the last two blanks.

If it's an option for you, I'd highly recommend playing the PC or Vita ports of the remake if you can (assuming you don't have a Japanese Wii), since the US WiiWare version is missing a very nice piece of bonus content for absolutely not reason that I can understand.

Yeah,
without Mulbruk you cannot ever find out what reproduce and ascension are represented by, and it seems like it's INCREDIBLY easy to miss that hint. I missed it too, and it's a hint that most players miss by default. It's really, really poorly designed that way. At least the seals tell you what 2 and 3 represent, and it's easy to determine the order from the Mausoleum tablet, but just excising a piece of necessary info like that for seemingly no reason??? I mean, at least the puzzle CAN be brute-forced. If that puzzle required you to go down the number order, or if it didn't accept false answers in-between the right ones, this puzzle would be just abysmal in every way...

progress time

-
Whole lot of time spent/wasted in Twin Labyrinths
-
Opened up a real entrance to the Shrine of the Mother this time via Endless Corridor
-
Katana get, mental map get, REAL map get (for both TL and Shrine), and raw confusion get
-
Solved the Poseidon puzzle completely by accident as I mistimed a jump and nabbed enough height and had the right positioning to slam down onto it. I had the hint saved from Mulbruk about that thing and everything!
-
I think I ended up cheating on both the Ankh and Red Jewel puzzles...

Pretty sure I read on the wiki somewhere that if a black witch appears you are NOT supposed to kill it, but outside of that I didn't have any awareness of what would happen beforehand. The methodology for getting the ankh to appears seems incredibly trial-and-error centric, too... not a fan of that puzzle.

As for the Jewel, I'll 100% acknowledge this was completely my bad, because I ignored the tablet that was clearly the hint for getting the chest and dais to appear. Honestly the two statues should have had a sort of hitbox for letting the flares explode at the correct place. The torches in the Gate of Guidance had them so why not??? Outside of not realizing the whole "bring light to the twins" thing was a hint, I did the rest of it myself.

-
Pretty sure glancing at the wiki also spoiled the Little Brother/Big Brother puzzle... But even with the one tablet that alludes to their presence, I still think unlocking the latter's shop is poorly explained as all get-out. To enter his shop you have to become exclusive clientele... wouldn't that mean buy from no one BUT the Little Brother? Why does it mean "buy an arbitrary amount of things from him, and also leave, and also come back"??? Why can't he tell you the message that unlocks Big Brother after you buy the necessary amount of times???
-
Beat Baphomet, and god I REALLY don't like how her boss fight is designed. Having random mob adds jump in is a big no-no but having them RESPAWN during the fight is fucking stupid. Her hitboxes are suspect, too: those flame jets have absurdly wide range, and even if you dodge them in the first phase her lightning is gonna hit you BEFORE it's safe to push back. And that desperation attack of hers literally got me so fucking scared... I was at like sub-50 health so it was like another 3 hits or so and I would be done!

And all of that for NO additional unlocks, holy shit!

-
Thanks to the Dragon Bone, I dispelled the skeleton walls. Although there's a chest with a fucking super aura that I can't unlock even though I already unlocked it... I assume the "Sleep within the woman" puzzle is the one to solve next, and the only thing that makes Lemeza sleep is... pausing time. Great. But I went all over the place in the Dragon Bone room and nothing changed, so like how precise do I have to be with this fucking puzzle??? Should I go back to the Chamber of Extinction and read some of the tablets there that discuss the Shrine of the Mother, or would that be wasting my time???

honestly starting to get a little tired of how exact the solutions for puzzles are becoming combined with how increasingly vague the hints are becoming.

1upsuper

Pretty sure I read on the wiki somewhere that if a black witch appears you are NOT supposed to kill it, but outside of that I didn't have any awareness of what would happen beforehand. The methodology for getting the ankh to appears seems incredibly trial-and-error centric, too... not a fan of that puzzle.

-
Beat Baphomet, and god I REALLY don't like how her boss fight is designed. Having random mob adds jump in is a big no-no but having them RESPAWN during the fight is fucking stupid. Her hitboxes are suspect, too: those flame jets have absurdly wide range, and even if you dodge them in the first phase her lightning is gonna hit you BEFORE it's safe to push back. And that desperation attack of hers literally got me so fucking scared... I was at like sub-50 health so it was like another 3 hits or so and I would be done!

And all of that for NO additional unlocks, holy shit!

-
Thanks to the Dragon Bone, I dispelled the skeleton walls. Although there's a chest with a fucking super aura that I can't unlock even though I already unlocked it... I assume the "Sleep within the woman" puzzle is the one to solve next, and the only thing that makes Lemeza sleep is... pausing time. Great. But I went all over the place in the Dragon Bone room and nothing changed, so like how precise do I have to be with this fucking puzzle??? Should I go back to the Chamber of Extinction and read some of the tablets there that discuss the Shrine of the Mother, or would that be wasting my time???

honestly starting to get a little tired of how exact the solutions for puzzles are becoming combined with how increasingly vague the hints are becoming.

Regarding the witch puzzle:
It's another puzzle where you have to think of both sides of the Labyrinth at once. If you kill all the witches in the witch room on the right, nothing happens. But if you kill all the witches in the witch room on the left, a black witch appears. If you leave her alive, and then go back to the right witch room and kill them, then the white witch will appear.

I actually really liked the boss of the Twin Labyrinths. I didn't think
she was too hard, and the enemies were only a minor nuisance for me. It took a while to get used to her attacks, but I think you can reasonably get through the fight taking little damage.

Take a break from the
Shrine of the Mother for a bit. You do need to solve the sleeping within the mother puzzle soon. Do you have an item that seems like it could be part of that puzzle? It's pretty obvious if you do.

Don't let me keep you playing if you aren't enjoying it. But if you are having some fun at least, then I encourage you to keep at it. You've made it well past where most people quit.

Ilvocare

Regarding the witch puzzle:
It's another puzzle where you have to think of both sides of the Labyrinth at once. If you kill all the witches in the witch room on the right, nothing happens. But if you kill all the witches in the witch room on the left, a black witch appears. If you leave her alive, and then go back to the right witch room and kill them, then the white witch will appear.

I actually really liked the boss of the Twin Labyrinths. I didn't think
she was too hard, and the enemies were only a minor nuisance for me. It took a while to get used to her attacks, but I think you can reasonably get through the fight taking little damage.

Take a break from the
Shrine of the Mother for a bit. You do need to solve the sleeping within the mother puzzle soon. Do you have an item that seems like it could be part of that puzzle? It's pretty obvious if you do.

Don't let me keep you playing if you aren't enjoying it. But if you are having some fun at least, then I encourage you to keep at it. You've made it well past where most people quit.

It's funny, Baphomet might actually be the most well-designed boss in the game so far, since she has actual tells for multiple attacks and TECHNICALLY enough time to avoid them. But those mobs, as much as they might not be a big deal, really sour the fight for me.

also if I take a break from Shrine of the Mother now then literally where else in this game can I go???

DrD

This is one of my favorite games ever. It does the Indiana Jones style adventure better than any other game imo. I forgot the sequel is supposed to come out this year.

1upsuper

It's funny, Baphomet might actually be the most well-designed boss in the game so far, since she has actual tells for multiple attacks and TECHNICALLY enough time to avoid them. But those mobs, as much as they might not be a big deal, really sour the fight for me.

also if I take a break from Shrine of the Mother now then literally where else in this game can I go???

Remind me, have you been in the Tower of the Goddess yet?

Ilvocare

Remind me, have you been in the Tower of the Goddess yet?

Nope! Doesn't matter, I moved forward.
This is the second time that you're supposed to see Lemeza's father in game and I somehow completely missed him AGAIN. Also, what the hell is the game's logic on that the cracked pillar that slams down onto the floor is protecting... your father's diary??? Like, you see that thing happen BEFORE he makes his appearance, did he switch out what was inside the chest for his diary???

Also holy shit Xelpud da real MVP. I wish it had been more obvious than not at all that he was the key to advancing the game past this point...

Basically I got so fed up with solving a seemingly more advanced puzzle that I ignored the obvious-but-not-really non-puzzle in front of my face. Got the Diary, got the Mulana Talisman (why the fuck didn't Xelpud just give this to me outright when I came across the cursed chest???), nabbed the Crystal Skull. And I am happy as hell to say that I TOTALLY figured out where to use it, yay! I'm in the Dimensional Corridor now, and lol there's no way to warp out of there... probably not until I beat Tiamat or some shit.

But yeah I HAD to go there, despite your insistence to the contrary.

1upsuper

Nope! Doesn't matter, I moved forward.
This is the second time that you're supposed to see Lemeza's father in game and I somehow completely missed him AGAIN. Also, what the hell is the game's logic on that the cracked pillar that slams down onto the floor is protecting... your father's diary??? Like, you see that thing happen BEFORE he makes his appearance, did he switch out what was inside the chest for his diary???

Also holy shit Xelpud da real MVP. I wish it had been more obvious than not at all that he was the key to advancing the game past this point...

Basically I got so fed up with solving a seemingly more advanced puzzle that I ignored the obvious-but-not-really non-puzzle in front of my face. Got the Diary, got the Mulana Talisman (why the fuck didn't Xelpud just give this to me outright when I came across the cursed chest???), nabbed the Crystal Skull. And I am happy as hell to say that I TOTALLY figured out where to use it, yay! I'm in the Dimensional Corridor now, and lol there's no way to warp out of there... probably not until I beat Tiamat or some shit.

But yeah I HAD to go there, despite your insistence to the contrary.

Good job. But I wasn't trying to lead you astray:
you have skipped a giant area that you unlocked a while ago. AFAIK most deal with the Shrine and the Dimensional Corridor after the area you've skipped. You having fun with those minibosses? :p

Ilvocare

Good job. But I wasn't trying to lead you astray:
you have skipped a giant area that you unlocked a while ago. AFAIK most deal with the Shrine and the Dimensional Corridor after the area you've skipped. You having fun with those minibosses? :p

uhhhhhh

I'll get back to you on that

Ilvocare

damn it's been a while since I last posted a progress report, huh?

Tower of the Goddess
is rough, man.
From not realizing that the girders were secret ladders
to
finding out how to break both hatches, understanding the general location of where the hint was implying, and yet somehow missing the PRECISE locations of the warps without extra hints,
I was ready to almost call it quits. Then I bumbled about a little and found some more things out.
At least the Eye of Truth puzzle was brain-dead easy, and I'm embarassed enough to note that I didn't see those weight-triggered floating platforms until my third visit into the side rooms WITH the Eye of Truth. As in two previous EoT visits and my vision just glazed right over them, even after killing things.

-
Nabbed the plane model (why is this the thing to remove fake goddess statues again??? It seems really fucking random.
-
GOT THE BOMBS FINALLY
-
Currently struggling against the bird miniboss in Gate of Illusion, with the worst fucking footing of all time, no seriously don't design a battle arena THIS difficult to navigate, and make the penalty for falling as excruciating as it is. Removing the spikes doesn't remove the 5 rooms of backtracking you need to do to have another shot at this fucker...

EDIT: I am confirmed retard,
just broke the hand in the room that's admittedly very hard to get to. Iteration time is now way shorter, thank GOD.

EDIT2: I don't understand how to solve the Children's Room/Statue. I'm completely stumped, and I've read the corresponding tablet over and over again.
Is there an item I don't have yet that I need to get from someplace else?

1upsuper

Glad to see you're still at it!

Are you sure the plane model was the solution to the goddess statues? I don't remember that.

What do you mean by the child's room? The room corresponding to the puzzle about sleeping within the mother? You need to do something with the woman's statue. Women aren't asexual, you know...

EmSeta

Great game, but some parts were just too opaque. It would benefit from a Dark Souls-inspired messaging system.

Kikirin

EDIT2: I don't understand how to solve the Children's Room/Statue. I'm completely stumped, and I've read the corresponding tablet over and over again.
Is there an item I don't have yet that I need to get from someplace else?

Is this at the Gate of Illusion?
Hint:
The key to the puzzle is "if everything disappears at once". Each of the "circles" in the tablet picture corresponds to something in the room...

Prerequisites:
Considering you've mentioned the Big Brother's shop before, I think you should already have one of the needed items. You likely have the other needed item (for helping you break things quickly) as well if you've hit up all the Labyrinth shops.

RM8

I like super hard games, but La-Mulana wasn't my kind of super hard game, to be honest. It's a shame because I really wanted to like it ;(

Ilvocare

Glad to see you're still at it!

Are you sure the plane model was the solution to the goddess statues? I don't remember that.

What do you mean by the child's room? The room corresponding to the puzzle about sleeping within the mother? You need to do something with the woman's statue. Women aren't asexual, you know...

1. Yes.

2. See the below quote.

Is this at the Gate of Illusion?
Hint:
The key to the puzzle is "if everything disappears at once". Each of the "circles" in the tablet picture corresponds to something in the room...

Prerequisites:
Considering you've mentioned the Big Brother's shop before, I think you should already have one of the needed items. You likely have the other needed item (for helping you break things quickly) as well if you've hit up all the Labyrinth shops.

Well I already figured that most of the circles correspond to the locations of the pots in the room... all except the one that's SUPPOSED to be on her right hand but is actually on the ground.

BB's shop only sells you the Dragon Bone, though? That's for the Shrine of the Mother: I don't see how it helps out here... Other than that, uh... how would I feasibly attack five points across the screen at once??? Like maybe I can Earth Spear the two pots in the left side while whipping the pot on the hand but the last two seem nigh-impossible for me to reach with my current equipment... And yes I already have the ability to break pots in one hit now.

Kikirin

Well I already figured that most of the circles correspond to the locations of the pots in the room... all except the one that's SUPPOSED to be on her right hand but is actually on the ground.

BB's shop only sells you the Dragon Bone, though? That's for the Shrine of the Mother: I don't see how it helps out here... Other than that, uh... how would I feasibly attack five points across the screen at once??? Like maybe I can Earth Spear the two pots in the left side while whipping the pot on the hand but the last two seem nigh-impossible for me to reach with my current equipment... And yes I already have the ability to break pots in one hit now.

Ah, crap, I misremembered it! The other prerequisite item is from
the Twin Labyrinth's "impossible" puzzle. You should be able to solve it since you have the Bombs.

I played Cave Story (Wii Ware) first and broke it in half. Fun, but they oversold the challenge..

Getting
the true end
of Cave Story is really hard IMO... though a big part of the challenge is the cheapness in
making you go through all rooms in BSS every time you want to try to beat Ballos.
I have, uh... indefinitely postponed
beating the true ending
because of that.

Kientin

This thread really got me in the mood to play the game again so I finally finished my 3rd(?) run through the game that I started awhile ago. This one was kind of a toughie as this run I wanted to get the achievement where you can't use subweapons on bosses and have to beat them in hard mode. I also wanted to get the
achievement where you clear Hell Temple without the fairy clothes and the one where you clear Hell Temple in hard mode
in the same run because I hate myself I guess. And well...

onefinger0rx8y.png

OPTIONAL AREA SPOILERS AHEAD! MIGHT RUIN THE "FUN" OF FINDING OUT WHAT THE REWARD IS IF YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT IT AND ARE WILLING TO ATTEMPT THE AREA!
lamulanavictorynxzgl.png

(b '.')b

Love this game. One of my favorites ever. Even if the puzzles are super obscure at times.

Eccocid

I wish it has the controls of Spelunky... I really wanna get in to this game but those arhaic old schools controls and jump is turning me off...

I wish it has the controls of Spelunky... I really wanna get in to this game but those arhaic old schools controls and jump is turning me off...
I totally disagree.
It's part of the gameplay trying to master the jumps and to perfect whip/weapon controls.

The areas and bosses are balanced around it, while a game like Spelunky itself is balanced for a fast-paced roguelike experience.

When I first played the game I felt the same as a huge Spelunky fan. However I gave it time and came to appreciate why the controls are the way they are. Keep trying.

1upsuper

Yup, LM is totally built around its strict jump mechanic and I love it.

Ilvocare, you make any more progress?

And congratulations, Kientin! That's awesome.

Ilvocare

Yup, LM is totally built around its strict jump mechanic and I love it.

Ilvocare, you make any more progress?

And congratulations, Kientin! That's awesome.

gonna be honest, I've been super busy playing other stuff and doing life things

like I think I was close to getting to the save point in
chamber of birth
but then also I kinda didn't succeed against
the big huge clay doll fight
and that just took the wind outta my sails

finally celebrated my birthday properly, 10 days late, and got a lot of stuff I'm doing, from Mario and Luigi Dream Team, to Tabletop Simulator, to #FE

so like I dunno how close I was to finishing LM but it seems like the final stretch is really long

and slow

1upsuper

gonna be honest, I've been super busy playing other stuff and doing life things

like I think I was close to getting to the save point in
chamber of birth
but then also I kinda didn't succeed against
the big huge clay doll fight
and that just took the wind outta my sails

finally celebrated my birthday properly, 10 days late, and got a lot of stuff I'm doing, from Mario and Luigi Dream Team, to Tabletop Simulator, to #FE

so like I dunno how close I was to finishing LM but it seems like the final stretch is really long

and slow

Happy late birthday. You are definitely getting near the end, but there's no rush to finish. There's a lot of tying up loose ends.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Playing the remake of this now, and holy shit is it hard lol. I am getting stuck after more or less everything i manage to solve, and am really close to start looking at a faq.

Anyways, the first thing i did was somehow ending up in the pyramid-level. Here i got completely stuck, so i decided to restart the game.

Now, i managed to find the item that lets you warp, meaning getting stuck is not an issue anymore. I then completely explored the pyramid, and got the ankh. With an orb from the Water-level, i summoned the boss - which destroyed me for 10+ times. I then decided to more throughtly explore the water-level, and i got the ankh there as well. But once again the boss completely destroyed me. I then completely discovered the Underground/graveyard, the endless tunnel and the sci-fi maze without getting anywhere, before finally returning to the first area and solving the right puzzles to get the ankh and boss there. The boss went down on my first try pretty easily - and boy did it feel good!

I have now warped from the pyramid to the inverted pyramid, and been exploring that area (and Eden), but I guess Im stuck again. Anyways, the game is amazing, and the puzzles are so well designed! Which is why i am not using a guide, as that would ruin so much. Feel like I need either more hp, a doublejump or something similar to progress now, but guess Im looking into that tomorrow. Recommend the game for every fan of good, gameplay-oriented games!

watomsk

Neo Member
Best archeology game ever made, and one of my favorites of all time.

That said, it's not a very accessible game, although it does let the player teleport out of danger at any point, I still recommend looking up the solution to a room if you get really stuck. It can be a bit vague at times.

Ilvocare

not gonna front I stopped playing a while ago, around the time I nabbed
the weird pot key and the dimensional key
from
the Chamber of Birth
. Missing an ankh jewel, couldn't decide between trying to find the jewel in the aforementioned place again OR just saying fuck it and moving on to the
Dimensional Corridor
. My zest for progress has completely vanished, though, and I need a hiatus.

Morfeo

Got to the miniboss in the Inferno, and the ice-boss in the twin labyrinths. Both of them completely destroys me, and i kinda feel like i am running out of spots to go if i cant beat one of them :(

Morfeo

Beat the subboss in the inferno after stocking up on the shurikens (bought 80, used about 50) which was a good strategy. However, it seems i completely fucked up in the next room as i raised both pillars and they wont go down :( Does this mean i am screwed out of getting a crucial item?

Ilvocare

Beat the subboss in the inferno after stocking up on the shurikens (bought 80, used about 50) which was a good strategy. However, it seems i completely fucked up in the next room as i raised both pillars and they wont go down :( Does this mean i am screwed out of getting a crucial item?

Well, that item isn't CRUCIAL, per se, but it IS really helpful. If you raised both pillars, warped out, and saved, then yeah you locked yourself out of it.

Unless you manage to find the special shop in the Gate of Time that's SUPER hidden away. Never mind the fact that a normal player won't find that area on a normal playthrough since there's nothing indicating its existence or how to unlock it.

I also hope that if you DO find it, you have the cash to pay for the fee.

Morfeo

Ended up reloading an earlier save, and got the item which is indeed superhelpful yeah. Also solved a few other puzzles, and got another red jewel-thing so i am trying to beat the water-boss. It definitely seems doable, but he is pretty hard and requires alot of hits. Also checked out the boss in the pyramids, which seems even harder unfortunately. So thats what im up to now. Have also unlocked the boss in the underground and the miniboss in the twin labyrinth, but havent seriously tried to beat any of them yet.

Top Bottom