• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge was actually good, I'm not crazy I swer on me mum

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
They tried their best to salvage Ninja Gaiden 3 with Razor's Edge, and it was a decent effort, but it is still inherently weak and flawed at the core.

Also, the bosses were absolutely atrocious, OP. Not from a difficulty standpoint, from a gameplay design standpoint.

The best part of RE is playing as the kunoichi because they're quick and responsive, being built from the ground up for RE.

L Thammy

Got it with on Wii U launch. Fighting regular enemies is button mashy, but pretty fun. Bosses are absolute shit, though. I don't think I've ever played a game with more annoying boss fights. Didn't try online.

The Wii U version of the game is also really buggy. Besides the standard early Wii U freezing, there were a few that were clearly coding problems. Sometimes dying in a Crystal Skull mission will have Ryu get back up then stand around until you reset the game, completely invulnerable and not in your control. I've also seen a boss who got stuck in an attack. The framerate just got steadily worse until the game hung. I've heard that the PS360 versions are better, but I haven't seen for myself.

Claneko

I forgot to mention, but I played this game on the 360 and most recently on the Wii U. I don't have it or the 360 available anymore so maybe it's the same, but the Wii U version does have some odd quirks about it that I swear weren't there before:

1. More noticeable FPS drop problems and some enemy AI bugs.

2. And maybe it's just me...but the controls feel laggy, really laggy at times on the Wii U. I don't think I had as much trouble with certain functions in this game before as I have now. Sometimes it's bad enough that I have died to it. Quick shooting an arrow while jumping seems to be a big offender that pops up now and then.

3. It has frozen at least once I can recall the last time I played.

It doesn't change my overall opinion of the game itself (good, not great), but it's annoying nonetheless. Problem is, I feel like these issues either didn't exist or weren't prevalent on the 360 (and likely the PS3).

ShinMaruku

Worst game I played in 2013. I absolutely hate it. Nonexistent level design, boring wave after wave of the same soldier enemies, They made Hayabusa slow as fuck, wtf.

Worst helicopter bosses ever.

Learn the bow trick and the helicopters become a joke. :p

the campaign is a complete clusterfuck even for ninja gaiden standards allthough thats kinda moot since its the same game as 3

what about the combat depth ? i still remember the amazing faqs people wrote about ng2s and blacks combat system. now its just slashing up enemies until your arm glows and you go into autokill mode. absorbing orbs atleast required strategy and skill

ng3 and re both have noticable input lag which is a big no no in a game like this.

after every attack there is a slight movement delay in which enemies can fuck you up big time on higher difficulties

whoever designed those bosses needs a kick in the face

it is fucking short, environments are bland as hell i mean what happened to the amazing people who designed the levels of ngb or 2 ? oh right they followed itagaki, a man who actually knows how to design a game properly.

Preach on, brother.

Learn the bow trick and the helicopters become a joke. :p

Bow trick doesn't seem to work on helicopters on Ultimate,
especially the helicopter in day 2 before the boss fight.

I had quite a lot of fun with this game. Should be clocking around 30 hours or so for me because of the hidden items and online trials. I don't remember the details you provided in the OP, but I thought the combat was as fun as ever. I didn't even mind several of the boss fights, even though for some I needed countless tries.

Assault

I had a lot of fun doing the Ninja Trials. The story missions were marred by framerate issues which really sucks in a game like this (I played it on Wii U). The level design was extremely linear (I guess you could say the same about NG2 as well, though it didn't really bother me in that game for some reason).

Steel on Bone is awesome, though.

Yeah, NG3: RE was definitely a good game. Better than NG:B or NG2? Not quite, but still a enjoyable game imo. The level designs were not the best and I didn't have a problem with he constant waves of enemies since the combat was varied and entertaining. Who cares about an grammy award winning story when the combat and action is so satisfying? What action game doesn't have wave after waves of enemies? The combat was great and comparable to NG2 and the Steel on Bone I thought was awesome and looked cool. The extra characters were fun to play and looked great. Someone find me an action game that plays better than NG3:RE. One of my favorite games of 2013.

I loved NG1 &2 and have just recently finished 1 for the umpteenth time and am currently playing through two. Here is where NG3: RE fucked up..

1. Difficulty: it's pretty random and borderline unfair if you're looking for increased difficulty

2. Difficulty is inconsistent: One room requires nothing more than mashing the attack button. The very next room requires you to try to take out the rocket launcher guys first and foremost while you fight with the auto lock function.

3. The voice over/com NPC is fucking annoying. NG 1&2 rely on text from diaries and the Ninja daggers flowers that give you hints. NG3:RE has an annoying voice actor constantly giving you direction and spouting encouragement.

the campaign is a complete clusterfuck even for ninja gaiden standards allthough thats kinda moot since its the same game as 3

what about the combat depth ? i still remember the amazing faqs people wrote about ng2s and blacks combat system. now its just slashing up enemies until your arm glows and you go into autokill mode. absorbing orbs atleast required strategy and skill

ng3 and re both have noticable input lag which is a big no no in a game like this.

after every attack there is a slight movement delay in which enemies can fuck you up big time on higher difficulties

whoever designed those bosses needs a kick in the face

it is fucking short, environments are bland as hell i mean what happened to the amazing people who designed the levels of ngb or 2 ? oh right they followed itagaki, a man who actually knows how to design a game properly.
This

we don't have many action games, but this is one is still in the upper tier. the combat remains fun even after you fight 200 ninjas in a row. the biggest weakness are the bosses and helicopter fights. machines everywhere and not even fun. you will pull your hair out at higher difficulties.

lots of content with 4 playable characters. i wish the claws were a bit stronger though. i don't find them useful in this game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I could pick this up for cheap for wii u. could you tell me if it is hard even at the easiest level? I don't like frustrating games

L Thammy

I could pick this up for cheap for wii u. could you tell me if it is hard even at the easiest level? I don't like frustrating games

Then you probably won't like this. The stages aren't too difficult, but the bosses are very frustrating and not at all fun.

Look into The Wonderful 101 or Warriors Orochi if you want a Wii U beat-em-up. Might be able to pick up one of them on the cheap.

If you can get it cheap enough go for it. The game on the easiest setting is not that difficult and the random frustrations are kept to a minimum. It even handles a few of the blocking and steel on bone stuff for you automatically on easy. That said its not playing itself so the more you actually get about the controls the better. If you go in mashing attack without even realizing there are any buttons... well you are just making it hard on yourself.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

On hero mode (easy) it's pretty easy, you may struggle on boss fights but you'll breeze through most of it.

Normal is at least 10 times harder than Hero so just a heads up.

How is Razor's Edge for PS3? Is it better than the Wii U version as far as performance goes?

PS3 version supposedly has the best performance of all versions.

Ned-Flanders-Is-Sent-To-Insane-Asylum-On-The-Simpsons.gif

I SWORE ON MY MUM!

Thanks for the good laugh.

Anyway, even if it's nowhere near the heights of NGB that Vanilla or RE could've been, I give them credit for the improvements they did make, and minus some questionable parts, I think I'll enjoy the game.

Coda

NG2 blew me away when I first played it and I loved that it gave me that old school vibe like I was playing the original Ninja Gaiden on the NES in terms of feel and difficulty. I played both NG3 and NG3: RE. RE is a bit better but it like many other people are saying really just is a polished turd. Boring enemy/level design, typical ninja tropes, fast combat that is fun at first but gets more shallow as you progress.

And yeah a lot of hack 'n slash games have wave after waves of enemies but the clever ones add good level design and puzzle solving to spice things up. Games like Devil May Cry and NG2 do this really well.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
thanks for the replies. the random boss frustration still worries me... Me too I was thinking about Orochi as a possible easiest option, butbecause of the license I could go with Ken's rage 2, if they will ever do a sale on the eshop...

I was just as big of a NG/NG Black fan as the next wannabe ninja, but I didn't mind Razor's Edge at all. I actually....had fun with it!

it doesn't compare with NG Black, but I didn't find it as shit as everyone else claims. then again I love this genre.

mcz117chief

Hey, lads. I am looking for some coop partners for the PS3 of Razor's Edge, preferably from Europe. If anybody is interested, please PM me, thanks :)

It's alright. It's not actively bad like vanilla NG3 was, but it still commits the sin of being boring. There's just not a lot that's exciting about the game, even if it's technically competent. It doesn't have that flair or spark that Ninja Gaiden 1 had and it's not something you can study and emulate.

Miker

Okay, so I picked up the Wii U version for $5 at Wal-Mart, thinking it couldn't be that bad. And I guess it isn't...? But it's not good, either.

It's got a noticeable amount of input lag during any time the framerate drops, which is really, really often. And what's worse is that instead of plain ol' dropping frames, the game seems to slow down. Reminds me of old school SNES slowdown, only obnoxious instead of charming and quaint.

And, is it just me, or is it actually pretty difficult on normal? I consider myself a character action game veteran, but I'm having a hard time on normal. Between the input lag, the hyper aggressive enemies, annoying encounter design (waves after waves of doods, with rocket launcher guys at the periphery), and losing Ryu in a sea of gray soldiers, it's kind of kicking my ass. I've beaten the original Ninja Gaiden on Xbox, and I don't remember it throwing quite so enemies at Ryu at once.

Jawmuncher

Bought this for 5 as well on WiiU. Just beat it.
This whole game is one hell of a mixed bag. Can't say I hate it but I don't exactly love it either. Some of the ideas here are neat, but everything being a hallway with fights is pretty bad when the first 2 were so much more open.
Also the hyper agressive enemies really are a change from NG1 and 2 which I beat a lot easier than some of the sections here on normal. Was worth the 5 but I could see why this game gets the hate it does for being such a unneeded departure from the other 2. Especially when it felt like team ninja was unsure if it wanted to go for the masses but try and keep the older fans around as wel story mode wise.

As for the story I didn't mind it. Was kinda mindless but it did the job at least. The ayane missions were pretty pointless though aside from one thing she does which could have just been a cut scene.

I do want to add that I really like the alternate costume you get for free from the last patch. Played the whole game with it and oddly it made it feel like a different game to me. Kinda wish we had a cyber ninja (NOT MGR) game in this setting minus the magic, fiends, and what not.

Luigiv

From what I played, it's okay at best. The action against grunts is pretty decent (though still inferior to the previous games) and the level design gets the job done (if not being a little dull), but the real issue is that a lot bosses are just awful. The way they've been updated from the the original release was really halfassed and as far as I tell actually made things worse. I gave up when I got to the T-rex. The game really could have used another 6-12 months in development. Rushing the game out for the Wii U's launch really limited to scope of what they could change from the original.

Astral Dog

I played the demo, and it was incredibly boring. You fight a wave of goons, then you fight another wave of goons, then you fight another wave, then another wave, then another wave, then another wave, then another wave, then another wave, then another wave, with nothing interesting happening in-between, no real sense of escalation or pacing. Just tedious, monotonous, spastic combat, far as the eye can see.
The final game is worse.
Its fun for awhile, but it gets too repetitive for me to recommend, unless its $10 Dollars at most.

I was so pumped for this, but I just couldnt get past that dinosaur boss. The absurdity of it makes me put the controller down every time.

To me that was worse than the enemies begging for their lives in vanilla.

IvorB

I've been saying this in every Ninja Gaiden thread. The game is good. But people can't look passed the hate.

thelastword

Banned
I liked it quite a bit, but then I liked every Ninja Gaiden game. If they improve the boss fights for the next game it will be golden, I really liked the combat mechanics in Razor's edge and loved fighting those alchemists.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I think I might be one of the few people who hated NGS 1 and 2 but LOVED 3....they did everything right and fixed all the crap I hated about the first two games...I see why some many people don't like 3....3 is NG for people who hated NG in the first place.

Top Bottom