• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! and Elite Beat Agents series 10 Year Anniversary Replay

JRBechard

I played a ton of EBA and Ouendan 2, but when I got got all 300s with the girl cheerleaders with the thing that makes the notes dissapear before you hit them on the Sambomaster song I celebrated by never touching them again

CassSept

My friend able to do Oundan 2 last son perfect pretty seamlessly.

Meh, it's easy, I've done that dozens of times. It needs some dedication, but as this poster said

Ouendan was amazing, I was utterly hooked on it for weeks and even had the soundtrack on my ipod to help me learn the songs to beat expert mode.

This is helpful and helps a lot in mastering the songs. I managed to consistently perfect every song on hard mode in invisible mode once I got the song's tempo down. It's all down to muscle memory, back then while sitting in school I could play the final song in my head and practice on a piece of paper because I could remember every single damn note.

E: Hell, I know lyrics to Sekai wa Sore o Ai to Yobundaze even though I don't speak Japanese and don't have a slightest idea what the song is about.

Shiggy

What was the Ouendan 2 song which was partly in a metro/subway? It was one of the later stages. Not sure if this is an accurate description - don't have the games anywhere nearby.

Jockel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_80O22OJRs

7686178464_fdc8ea66c7.jpg

Still cannot hear that song ever again without picturing the game and getting misty eyed.

LOVED me some EBA back in the day. Wish this series would come back.
The Japanese original isn't exactly happy go lucky, either.

Glad there was a fairly recent thread about the series. Just decided to play Ouendan 1 for the first time in ages and it's just as great as when I first played it. It's one of the only games I've ever imported and I'm so glad that I did. For some reason I never imported the second one or even bought EBA, but I decided just now to take care of that and order both of them. Any music game fan definitely owes it to themselves to play at least one of these games. I ordered new copies of both of the games I didn't have and I was pleasantly surprised that they were still pretty affordable.

Apologies if anyone was going to make a new thread in celebration, but today marks 10 years from Ouendan's release.

Got a chance to play through the first game again last night. I always go in worrying that the games can't possibly live up to the high regard I hold them in, but I come out of it every time discovering something new about the games and gaining even greater appreciation for them.

Anyways, the difference between iNiS's charting in the first game and the later games becomes pretty immediately apparent when the very first song asks you to make huge jumps between very close beats. It doesn't really feel like they have quite as good a hold on charting, lol. But at the same time there's something satisfying about nailing those jumps with perfect timing. I wouldn't necessarily say I like it, but it's interesting. This time around, I've also taken notice of how good Ouendan's audio feedback is. There are a lot of note sequences that don't really follow the "standard" rhythm of the song, and take a while to learn to perfect. But they make the hitsounds for when you do get them really cool. In general, it feels like Ouendan has a way of making even small successes feel awesome.

I'd say my favorite and least favorite songs/stages still haven't changed, Kokoro Odoru is the one I enjoy most and Neraiuchi is probably my least favorite in the entire series, lol. I hope to replay the other two games soon but I haven't been able to find the time yet.

And to leave some brief suggested listening for the occasion, here's Keiichi Yano's GDC talk on the creation of Ouendan and EBA. I definitely recommend giving it a listen if you're a fan of any of the games. There's no video, but here's a pretty good collection of photos.

Dug these out recently, and man, I had entirely forgotten Loop & Loop was the opening song to Ouendan 1. Had the same excited moment I had when I found that out the first time I played years ago.

This frigging games are so good.

hamchan

Yeah I'll do another replay. Games are so damn great. It's a shame that iNiS ended up making Lips for 5 years instead of doing a 3rd Ouendan.

Zomba13

Just dug out my old DS lite and found Ouendan 1 in it so I played a bit of that and the others and remembered just how damn good they were. The low quality of the DS sound is super noticeable with my current headphones though, never really bothered me too much at the time because I had some shitty earphones.

Was going to make an RTTP thread but thought I'd do a search to see if there was a recent one so might as well bump this and save myself the effort of making a thread.

The games are just so good. Simple, easy to understand, tap the numbers in order at the right time signified by the closing circle and the beat. Osu! is fine and all, a great fan game that captures the gameplay style and build on it with additional modes and custom tracks but it's not the same because I don't have a touch screen on my PC and the android version on the phone could come close but again, I don't have a stylus for it so use my fingers and I can't get into the same zone.

Such a shame there wasn't another one especially as the 3DS kept the same stuff as the DS and the Wii U had the gamepad, would've been fine with a small, download only one. We'll never get an Ouendan and EBA to crossover.

Chopper

I didn't enjoy EBA nearly as much as Ouendan, but then, I don't enjoy alot of things as much as Ouendan.

I fucking love Ouendan.

Ouendan.

Top Bottom