• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: "Warhammer 40k: Space Marine"

31210613326_77d8cae803_h.jpg

So with the impending release of Deathwing I thought I'd have some fun and re immerse myself in the 40k universe with some "old" titles. I started with one of my favorites, Space Marine.

Man what a fun game. I haven't played it since release back in 2011 on the Xbox 360. This time I played it in 4k 60fps on my PC :D. I still remember Chaos Gate and Dark Omen were the games that originally got me into interested in the Warhammer universe. I never got into the tabletop stuff, but I always have my fingers crossed for more games set in the universe. Obviously I would love to see a sequel from Relic someday, as I feel they established and interesting cast and I want to know more about their characters, especially Captain Titus (books maybe? Recommend if they exist and are any good.) Potentially I'd also love to see someone like Bioware take on a more open ended RPG based in the universe, but I know that's an extreme longshot.

This completely engrossed me, I really think I enjoyed it more this time around. The game isn't too long at about 8 hours, I'd highly recommend it, especially on PC where you can find it, for as little as ~$5. it's an absolute steal. Gameplay is third person action akin to a mix of God of War and Gears of War, but without cover because you're an emperor blessed, hulking, heavily plated, death dealing Space Marine. (On the hardest difficulty I still found ways to use cover, especially near the end lol). Overall a fun offering and interesting plot line within the 40k universe packed with great aesthetics, voice work, a solid range of recognizable weaponry and frantic visceral combat. It really made you feel like a monstrous force with the right gear in hand.

I really only took a few shots, didn't really take any of combat which was short sighted as I was focused on enviroments and such in 4k. but they're easy to find. they are 3840*2160, using the 1600*900 flickr links to play nicer with peoples browsers though. Not really sharing some of the cooler shots to avoid spoilers. But graphics looked great in 4k, but it's obvious to tell the textures especially were fairly limited. Models, details and the overall aesthetic are just awesome though.

I'm not sure what I'm going to play next in the 40k universe, but anything is going to have a hard time standing up to this game. Thank you THQ and Relic Games for making this happen, it was a pleasure.

There SO needs to be a sequel to SPESS MEHREEN. Would be really cool to see a 30K variant, where you fight in the Horus Heresy against other Marines.

I beat this recently too. I liked it. It was nice that even on the hardest difficulty, they didn't make the enemy damage sponges. Even though you can go down through lots of suppressive fire, I felt that they made Titus tanky enough that you did feel like you were a Space Marine decked out in power armor, and most things can't handle you in a 1v1. I liked keeping the lasgun really handy because even chaos marines didn't even survive a headshot from it, and turning on rage mode just gives you time to go to town taking out every ranged unit in bullet time.

Mdk7

Such a great, underrated game... It deserved way more recognition, should have sold like hot cakes for its value.
Also, the blend of hack'n slash and third person shooter is pretty much unparalled, and it's executed in such a fun and compelling way.

Rymuth

Great campaign, great game. Mark Strong was sublime as Captain Titus. What a tragedy it never got a sequel.

The crapping all over the Codex Astartes was like the cherry on top, haha

For your next game, how about giving W40k: Kill Team a try?

I beat this recently too. I liked it. It was nice that even on the hardest difficulty, they didn't make the enemy damage sponges. Even though you can go down through lots of suppressive fire, I felt that they made Titus tanky enough that you did feel like you were a Space Marine decked out in power armor, and most things can't handle you in a 1v1. I liked keeping the lasgun really handy because even chaos marines didn't even survive a headshot from it, and turning on rage mode just gives you time to go to town taking out every ranged unit in bullet time.

Oh the Laser Canon made a lot of stuff trivial for me. I vaporized any of the hard targets lol.

Only time I gave up the thunder hammer when I had it was when I knew I was going to need the Laser Cannon lol.

Great campaign, great game. Mark Strong was sublime as Captain Titus. What a tragedy it never got a sequel.

The crapping all over the Codex Astartes was like the cherry on top, haha

For your next game, how about giving W40k: Kill Team a try?

I love co-op titles, and I've heard its fun in the vein of Gauntlet legends type games. Thanks for the recommendation. Is there an overarching plot at all?

"I ain't so easy ta kill."

So good.

"But I am done with you"

SPOILER

Tizoc

Melta Gun and Laser Sniper rifle were sooooo good.
Really nice TPS although I kinda felt it went a little longer than it needed.
Still a fun romp though.
SPEHCE MUHREEN!

Triteon

I liked this game a bunch, I played through it twice then went out and bought the special edition.

The multiplayer was a pretty good time as well, too bad it dropped off a cliff within a year.

I liked this game a bunch, I played through it twice then went out and bought the special edition.

The multiplayer was a pretty good time as well, too bad it dropped off a cliff within a year.

I never really got to play it. When I first got it on xbox 360 I had rented it for the single player. I've heard there's still some people that play it, so I might give it a shot, but I'm not holding my breath.

From what I understand the customization was phenomenal.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
I loved it for what it was. A somewhat shaky, but incredibly fun, first attempt at a shooter in the 40k universe from a developer that has an almost exclusive background in RTS. I definitely want to see Relic take another crack at it with a sequel, I have faith that they could knock it out of the park.

Love this game. It's the only WH40k game I've played. The multiplayer was really enjoyable, from what I remember.

Too bad it didn't receive the attention it deserved. I would love to see a sequel.

Rymuth

I love co-op titles, and I've heard its fun in the vein of Gauntlet legends type games. Thanks for the recommendation. Is there an overarching plot at all?
There is a plot but its mostly superfluous. You and your fellow space marines need to stop an Ork invasion.

If you want something with more focus on story, then Dawn of War 2 might be your jam (Though i'd save that for psyching yourself up for Dawn of War 3's release)

On a slightly tangential note, not sure if you're aware already, but I highly recommend the 'If the Emperor had a Text-to-speech device' web series.

https://youtu.be/BQgqoZ0gdqI

Its incredibly funny plus, a great way to brush up on W40k lore.

There is a plot but its mostly superfluous. You and your fellow space marines need to stop an Ork invasion.

If you want something with more focus on story, then Dawn of War 2 might be your jam (Though i'd save that for psyching yourself up for Dawn of War 3's release)

On a slightly tangential note, not sure if you're aware already, but I highly recommend the 'If the Emperor had a Text-to-speech device' web series.

https://youtu.be/BQgqoZ0gdqI

Its incredibly funny plus, a great way to brush up on W40k lore.

I've played DOW one and two pretty heavily. Can't wait for three!

It's on sale and they don't have a 4 pack. Heresy!

Edit:
Oh it's only local split screen. Nevermind. I thought it was 4 player coop for some reason.

Loved this game. I just hate the final boss 'fight'. Such a letdown after an awesome campaign.

Definitely the weakest part of the game. And frankly a bit odd, especially since there was another boss battle that was... well at least a boss. I mean that would have been fine as the ending part of a boss fight, but not the entirety of the fight.

nicanica

One of my all time favorites easily.

Heavy Bolter with extended ammo and extra coolant.
Just nothing out there like it.

It's great and is worthy of a sequel. That jump pack attack was brutal and always satisfying.

Best 40k video games are the Dawn of War series (obviously!), but Battlefleet Gothic is fucking amazng. It is very methodical and rewarding.

Kill Team was a fun, short twin stick shooter that stuck to the lore very well.

I am drooling looking at the Deathwing footage!

It's great and is worthy of a sequel. That jump pack attack was brutal and always satisfying.

Best 40k video games are the Dawn of War series (obviously!), but Battlefleet Gothic is fucking amazng. It is very methodical and rewarding.

Kill Team was a fun, short twin stick shooter that stuck to the lore very well.

I am drooling looking at the Deathwing footage!

I bought Armada on release. It's great.

Arkanius

I want to play this game so much but on my Space hulk hype (playing the beta right now) I also bought Dawn of War II + expansions
So Space Marine will have to wait.

DieH@rd

Banned
One of the rare games that managed to hold the balance between ranged and melee combat in a great way.

Good game.

LordCiego

Great game, it deserved more love that it had. The Campaign was nice, good balance between ranged and melee, even if the combat was a bit simplistic and a great Multiplayer mode, loved the team deathmatch and the horde mode, its a pity that is dead. No games captures the feel of a jetpack landing attack like this one sogood.gif

In the Campaign I liked a lot when
Blood Ravens from Dawn of War come to your help

Hope we can get a sequel one day, specially if its made from Relic again.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This game is such a breath of fresh air.

Oh you took a bunch of damage and need to heal, well don't go hiding behind a rock waiting for your health regen to kick in, no no sir, go out there and fuck shit up harder.

9542053341_0457103767_o.gif

9542053981_aa7ab9f9c5_o.gif

9542052909_bea1cf0c79_o.gif

9544840344_f19ab9463f_o.gif

Hesemonni

Banned
Its a brilliant game somehow overlooked by pretty much everybody especially by the press and buying public. Too bad we never see the sequel it so rightfully deserves.

Played this on PC when it came out a few years ago and had a complete blast. Would definitely grab it again if it were rereleased on PS4/XBO with a few modern bells and whistles. Multiplayer was good fun, too. One of the few games to perfectly balance melee and ranged combat. Damn fun.

"SPICE MARINE!"

Bums me out to think we'll never get a sequel. I loved the shit out of this game. Space Marine 2 and Darksiders 3 are the missing links of my gaming wishlist.

Oh you took a bunch of damage and need to heal, well don't go hiding behind a rock waiting for your health regen to kick in, no no sir, go out there and fuck shit up harder.

Truly the most metal possible take on health packs.

Normally I'd agree with you. But there's a points in the last part of the game where that doesn't work. You can go to finish an enemy with full shield and health and died in the span of the animation because you're talking so much damage from a single enemy.

Haunted

The best 40K game out there. Hugely rewarding melee combat and manages to strike a great balance between tanned and close combat options for the most part.

Most importantly, they nailed the feeling, weight and heftiness of being a space marine, though. Brilliant game for fans of the universe.

Truant

The feel of the guns in this game was second to none, at the time. I remember being wowed at how a small game like this could surpass Gears of War in this aspect.

Binabik15

Brutalshit.gifs

It is.

Great melee and shooting AND: A weighty Space Marine. Brutal chain weapons. Meaty Bolter sounds and explosions. Jump-packs that make you fall from the sky like an angry god. Las-cannons murderising the crap out of everything AND a healing mechanic that channels the gameplay to fit the lore and is actually fun?

This had no right to be as good as it was! And recreating the feeling of being an Imperial Space Marine. And especially no right to get the sequel canned for a failed multiplayer game...sigh.

Only "flaw" IMO was the fights against the CSM. Yes, anti-armour weapons should kill Marines, but making each of them more of a miniboss battle would've been more fitting, IMO. Then again, making those "epic" with any sort of context sensitive actions, cutscenes, altered mechanics (like unarmed boxing match TO THE DEATH, like Talos the Night Lord puching a vet sarge to death) would take away from the no-nonsense action gameplay, so maybe their choice was the better one.

Now I want to replay it.

nightside

Really good game, slaying filthy xenos in the name of the emperor is always fun, but for some reason I seem unable to finish wh40k games, I get distracted by something else, slip away and never pick the game up again, happened the same with dow2. Really don't know why.

It is.

Great melee and shooting AND: A weighty Space Marine. Brutal chain weapons. Meaty Bolter sounds and explosions. Jump-packs that make you fall from the sky like an angry god. Las-cannons murderising the crap out of everything AND a healing mechanic that channels the gameplay to fit the lore and is actually fun?

This had no right to be as good as it was! And recreating the feeling of being an Imperial Space Marine. And especially no right to get the sequel canned for a failed multiplayer game...sigh.

Only "flaw" IMO was the fights against the CSM. Yes, anti-armour weapons should kill Marines, but making each of them more of a miniboss battle would've been more fitting, IMO. Then again, making those "epic" with any sort of context sensitive actions, cutscenes, altered mechanics (like unarmed boxing match TO THE DEATH, like Talos the Night Lord puching a vet sarge to death) would take away from the no-nonsense action gameplay, so maybe their choice was the better one.

Now I want to replay it.

They were pretty freaking beefy healthwise. Outside the thunderhammer they take a lot of rounds. A laser cannon was the only thing that took them out in one hit but it had to be a headshot. Bolter rounds took more than a full clip lol.

leng jai

I completely forgot this game existed. I remember it being a solid game mechanically but due to the repetition and lack of variety got boring halfway through. A sequel should turn out really well, they already had a pretty good foundation.

Nokterian

Awesome game and being a brute force of SPES MARENE is just so fucking cool, killing the waaggh boyz to regain health felt so good. The story is pretty cool also and i have to say the multiplayer was also loads of fun to play.

Hear hear i love this.

I picked this up on a whim one week and loved it. My roommate loved watching me play it too, which is pretty rare.

Amazing that such a fantastic game within a storied IP gets forgotten. It's on sale on steam right now for like $7, might have to grab it.

dmr87

Liked it too, maybe I should re-play it again. Just a shame that the majority of Warhammer games is focused around Space Marines, said the same thing back when this game was new. Would love to see this kind of game with other races as well.

Baalzebup

Ah yes, Spesss Muhreen. Brutal, brutal combat and general gore, excellent flow between ranged and melee combat, good selection of satisfying weapons, some bombs dropped on extreme Codex Astartes wankery, the sheer glee of stomping shit flat with the Jump Pack, the weighty feel of size and power that the SMs project. The multiplayer was also damned great fun with some really snazzy character customization. Duels between Assault Marines and Raptors were quite hectic affairs. I was decent enough at it, though I remember being stomped flat by some of the really good ones. Fittingly enough, several of them were using with Primarch names. I also made a great rivalry with a British dude with whom I had some great clashes and later we played some Exterminatus rounds together.

Beside the disappointing "final boss", the game is stomping great fun.

Chaos Gate and Dark Omen
Fine games indeed. I've beaten them both several times. I think Dark Omen might actually contest for the seat of "most full playthroughs", going by what I remember.

Liked it too, maybe I should re-play it again. Just a shame that the majority of Warhammer games is focused around Space Marines, said the same thing back when this game was new. Would love to see this kind of game with other races as well.

Agree with this 100% There's so much interesting lore in the 40k universe but almost every related thing from games to videos to stories and even cosplay seems focus on Space Marines. I'd absolutely love a game about rogue traders. Imperial guardsman, more tau stuff border planets whatever. There's so much to explore. I know that they feel the major draw of any 40k game is Space Marines though because of awareness and they are easily identifiable. They're right... But only in a way that it's a safer bet. To grow their audience they should go beyond if though and show the legs the universe actually has.

Top Bottom