• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rude Note On Domino’s Box Scolds Customer For Late Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a cut-off time for new orders and be polite about it, or be open for new orders until closing time and have clean-up time after that factored in to the trading hours. From googling, it seems they close at midnight. For a commonly late-night phone-order thing like a pizza, the nurses wouldn't have been out of line for not checking the closing hours.

Must have had a bad day, given my knowledge from working there he/she probably just got fed up with everything. I'm betting it was the driver.

Mimosa97

I sympathize with both the workers and the nurses.

Honestly I would never order something right before closing time (except if I knew the workers and was already friendly with them). As for the nurses no need to get all worked up. They work a tough job and I understand them just wanting a pizza after a long shift but they should also understand they they're dealing with underpaid fast food workers who'll have to work extra time to clean because of that one order.

inner-G

Banned
Devil's Advocate: It's a harmless note, and they could definitely have ordered a lot sooner.

They should state a cut-off time or say that they close earlier.

Places that have hours then get pissed when you frequent the business between those hours are ridiculous. Online businesses never complain about getting my money.

T-Matt

Note was silly but damn the whole "share share share; support our nurses" is a bit much. It's not something that needs viral outrage. The note while a bad idea wasn't over the top full of hate for nurses or something.

Dalek

You know if they were bold enough to write a note, I'd probably be worried about what was done to the food too. But I'm probably just paranoid after that video of the fast food worker wiping the floor with a bun.

That was my thought too. If they wrote that note, chances are they were having a grumbling conversation about it at the store.

No, the customers are there to do whatever the fuck they want obviously. That doesn't make it any less inconsiderate to come in right when they're closing.

How are the customers who place an order over the phone supposed to know what time the place closes? I usually don't know that when I order take out.

No, the customers are there to do whatever the fuck they want obviously. That doesn't make it any less inconsiderate to come in right when they're closing.

The customers job isn't to be considerate. If the sign says open you're taking an order and I don't want to hear about it. That's the job.

They probably tip poorly, too, hence the built up frustration that led to the note. Not saying it makes what they did right, but I wouldn't discount the idea.

In fact...why doesn't someone ask how much the nurses tipped?

Chesskid1

Banned
Nurses are generally too busy during shifts to sit down, let alone order a pizza.

yeah i get that

i just dont think the occupation of the customer matters at all

it could just be a stoner looking for a late meal and they have the same right to order as a nurse

guess it makes the article more interesting "support our nurses!!"

FStop7

Banned
Is it really their closing time? A lot of places that do delivery have separate times they actually shut down for the night vs. the latest they will accept new orders.

I thought the big chain pizza places published the latter as "closing" simply to avoid confusion.

1) The note was definitely stupid and immature.
2) The nurses probably shouldn't have called to place an order that late.
3) If the nurses DID call that late, the business should have had a policy in place to say "sorry, we don't take delivery orders X minutes before closing time."
4) If the place didn't deliver pizza that late to the nurses because it was too close to closing time, then the nurses would just have to find food elsewhere. Honestly, this part of the response from the nurses: "Nurses work long hours and eat when they can as they take care of our loved one." is a frivolous appeal to emotions - yes, nurses have a hard job and I sincerely appreciate what they do... but unless they specifically had unexpected overtime that night, they really had no excuse to not be able to pack a lunch or place an order ahead of time, thus negating any merit to their "long hours" complaint. I'll say it again though, if all of the nurses had a sudden and unexpected overtime shift/hours added to their shift after arriving at work, then yeah, I can see how they couldn't plan ahead for this.

hydruxo

That employee needs to learn how to be more subtle

Regardless, they're an idiot for writing that note. Did they really think nothing would come of it?

Reset

Fuck the employee for being such a massive piece of shit.

Telling someone that they'd appreciate it if they order a little earlier before closing time is being a piece of shit? Maybe if the employees fucked with the food, but this isn't rude at all. Haha can't believe people consider this rude.

Ordering before 5 minutes closing time is a scumbag move, I wouldn't do it since it just pisses of employees. And who knows they might mess with your food then. Plus now the Facebook person is demanding free Pizza hahaha.

pxleyes

Banned
yeah i get that

i just dont think the occupation of the customer matters at all

it could just be a stoner looking for a late meal and they have the same right to order as a nurse

guess it makes the article more interesting "support our nurses!!"
Basically. Social media fodder.

I more than understand the employees, I would just never do the same because of consequences. I would have been more sympathetic due to them being nurses, but the "make this viral, yada yada" crap counteracts that and then some. Person who wrote it was an idiot or already put in their two weeks, and the people sharing it are attention whores.

slit

Lol, how is that note rude? Everyone that works in the food industry knows it's a dick move to come in 5 min before closing.

First of all, how do you know they knew when the place was closing and second then why don't they just say sorry we're closed. Oh that's right, the store isn't. I have no idea how you blame the customer here.

I've ordered pizza at least twice one minute before closing. Not to be a dick, it just worked out that way.

I still bet it sucks though. Still unacceptable. If you're open, you're open

Note didn't seem rude and the whole "support our nurses" agenda seems a bit over-the-top, but still might've been better to just let the order be and not raise any issues.

G-Fex

Why wouldn't the restaurant just close earlier?

Why would they allow me to walk in the door and order before telling me to go fuck myself?

Fuck the employee for being such a massive piece of shit.

Fuck off for not wanting to do your job with the open sign lit.

oh shut up

have some goddamn sense and realize the pizzas are not instant , HSFR.

Those last few minutes are not for you to waltz in and well guess I'll just stay open cause you want a pizza now right kiddo? Nah getthafuckouttahere.

pxleyes

Banned
Should note that this is Domino's, and if they ordered from an app the app doesn't tell you the hours of each location.

If you're open, you're fucking open.

You don't want this 5 minutes thing happening? Then make it policy to close the kitchen up 15-30 minutes earlier. Most food establishments do this. If they don't then guess what, if you order a pizza a minute before closing then you need to fulfill that order.

If you answer the phone with "Thank you for calling Dominos, how can I help you" it's all game. If you don't want orders 5 minutes before close don't answer the fucking phone.

If you're open, you're fucking open.

You don't want this 5 minutes thing happening? Then make it policy to close the kitchen up 15-30 minutes earlier. Most food establishments do this. If they don't then guess what, if you order a pizza a minute before closing then you need to fulfill that order.

This.

pxleyes

Banned
oh shut up

Those last few minutes are not for you to waltz in and well guess I'll just stay open cause you want a pizza now right kiddo? Nah getthafuckouttahere.
Don't want to make pizzas that late? Closer earlier. The open sign is on, so make me my damn pizza.

Sanjuro

Telling someone that they'd appreciate it if they order a little earlier before closing time is being a piece of shit? Maybe if the employees fucked with the food, but this isn't rude at all. Haha can't believe people consider this rude.

Ordering before 5 minutes closing time is a scumbag move, I wouldn't do it since it just pisses of employees. And who knows they might mess with your food then. Plus now the Facebook person is demanding free Pizza hahaha.

Can't believe you don't. It's an asshole thing to say.

If you went into a store to buy bottle of water. The clerk tells you, "Hey, we are closing in five minutes. I appreciate if you never do this again.", I'd likely tell the clerk to fuck themselves and who their superior is.

oh shut up

What exactly are those last minutes for, then?

Are they just a magical buffer zone where the employees get paid but nobody has to run the storefront?

Yeah, as being contingent on an hour of business they literally are.

12.00-23.59 = hour of business

I want a pizza at 23.58. I'm going to pay your company, and by extension you for the privelige. Make me a pizza.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The customers job isn't to be considerate. If the sign says open you're taking an order and I don't want to hear about it. That's the job.
Attitudes like this make retail miserable for so many. It's quite disgusting imo. Glad I never have to deal with it again.

Dalek

The employees had probably cleaned up the place and were clockwatching waiting to spring out the door when the phone rang.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
My mother and father work in a restaurant so I feel for the employees here. People who order food right as the place is closing down are the reason that their shift ends at 9 but sometimes actually leave way past 10.

All the posts saying stuff like, "well, if it's such a bothersome why don't they do X?" like if the employee has any say on the store's policies.

Symphonia

Banned
Tell staff that their working hours are 30-60 minutes past the listed closing time or something. This issue comes up far too often; if you list your closing time as 9 PM, someone will always order at 8:59.

Edit: It was hospital employees? I can cut them some slack.
Right!? I mean, c'mon, these people are working around the clock to keep people alive. Show them some goddamn respect.

Sanjuro

oh shut up

Please don't tell me to fuck off.

You have no concept of working retail based on your comments. I've done it for far too long grasp the nonsense you are spewing. You simply don't do things like this and expect a paycheck the following week.

TDLink

Tell staff that their working hours are 30-60 minutes past the listed closing time or something. This issue comes up far too often; if you list your closing time as 9 PM, someone will always order at 8:59.

Edit: It was hospital employees? I can cut them some slack.

This -is- typically how restaurants work. Closing hours are for customers not employees. It is expected for some employees to stay and "close" after closing time just like it's expected for some to arrive before opening hours and prepare for the day. Of course, less people in the restaurant at closing time means they can leave earlier than later. But some employees just think they should be out of there as soon as possible and get very angry when people are in the restaurant at close despite that it's part of being an employee in the service industry.

I haven't worked in the service industry in quite some time but this was a pretty consistent attitude. You can't really expect more when pay people minimum wage or less so it's understandable. It sucks on both sides.

Attitudes like this make retail miserable for so many. It's quite disgusting imo. Glad I never have to deal with it again.

Expecting you to do your job makes you miserable? Yikes, life is going to be rough. Food service isn't the only industry where people have to put up with bullshit. Deal with it.

emb

The note actually seems very respectful. So at least it's not bad.

Really, I think the store should close whenever they want to stop taking orders. Or maybe stay open an extra few minutes for pickup, but close orders at a certain time. No one should have to feel guilty about purchasing from a business while it's open.

Miles X

They probably tip poorly, too, hence the built up frustration that led to the note. Not saying it makes what they did right, but I wouldn't discount the idea.

In fact...why doesn't someone ask how much the nurses tipped?

Why does it matter how much they were tipped, does min wage not exist in the US? (genuine question ... nobody ever expects tips in the UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom