• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rude Note On Domino’s Box Scolds Customer For Late Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafai1123

Banned
I see an OP warranting a discussion on whether it was a good idea or not

We all agree it wasn't a good idea. The discussion comes from those who feel they are free to visit an establishment at any time during business hours and don't believe it to be inconsiderate, and those who know the business hours and choose to respect the employees because they believe it to be inconsiderate to visit right before close.

It's about ethics in the food industry...or something.

We all agree it wasn't a good idea. The discussion comes from those who feel they are free to visit an establishment at any time during business hours and don't believe it to be inconsiderate, and those who know the business hours and choose to respect the employees because they believe it to be inconsiderate to visit right before close.

I smell a BurgerGate

Watch out for those BG'ers

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I know you're commenting on the topic at hand only, I was extending on the idea of avoiding it because it causes some (not all) annoyance. Some will accept it's part of their job that orders will occur at anytime within advertised hours and manage their expectations for clocking off accordingly and others will feel vexed and direct (if perhaps only internally) it at the likely unsuspecting customer.
I'll bite. What other annoyances can be easily avoided that cause them to get out late from an already late night shift are you referring to?

gosox333

Yes, it is inconsiderate.

If you work the job, you should at any point expect the scenario you described above, regardless of how shitty it may be. You are part of an establishment that offers service during the hours listed, and should fully expect to offer it as such.

If there were some kind of all knowing super power that was able to discern whether or not your last minute order was warranted or not, I'd say fuck what I said above. Man that'd be great. But that's not the case.

We operate during the hours we list. As far as I know, everybody who walks through my doors at the last second has had a personal emergency causing them to do so, simply because they are my main source of income and I cannot possibly prove otherwise.

I can't prove otherwise, while absolutely wanting to, but cannot dare to attempt to do so due to risking profit and customer relations. It is a very unfortunate grey area. However, in this instance, these employees clearly went past that and tried to accuse the customer, which I obviously think is wrong.

tldr; retail workers just have to deal with it. It's a shitty job

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I just came from Starbucks and the barista forgot to add whipped cream, even though I specifically requested it.

PopeReal

I just came from Starbucks and the barista forgot to add whipped cream, even though I specifically requested it.

Oh fuck. Time to shame and destroy them. Or at least start a thread so people can tell baristas what pieces of shit they are and to do their fucking job. Oh and to shut up or quit.

;)

I go no whip cream myself.

Carton

I'll bite. What other annoyances can be easily avoided that cause them to get out late from an already late night shift are you referring to?

I didn't say the annoyance had to result in them finishing late, did I? I'm not going to list out every possible source of annoyance for a hospitality worker. I'm sure you can appreciate that would be a vast list, and would again depend on the worker.

gosox333

wait so is the barista supposed to go on without at the very least having been politely told they messed up?

that's silly and counterproductive

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I didn't say the annoyance had to result in them finishing late, did I? I'm not going to list out every possible source of annoyance for a hospitality worker. I'm sure you can appreciate that would be a vast list, and would again depend on the worker.
"Sometimes other things annoy workers too" is not a good analogy because it misses the reasons why the late order annoyance is of novel consideration compared to standard work annoyances.

Carton

"Sometimes other things annoy workers too" is not a good analogy because it misses the reasons why the late order annoyance is of novel consideration compared to standard work annoyances.

I was responding to your comment that you said you'd avoid annoying people who prepared your food. I did not understand that to mean it had to result in them finishing late. If it does, you're probably missing a whole lot of grievances, but given your stance on this issue, I'd be surprised if that were the case.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I was responding to your comment that you said you'd avoid annoying people who prepared your food. I did not understand that to mean it had to result in them finishing late. If it does, you're probably missing a whole lot of grievances, but given your stance on this issue, I'd be surprised if that were the case.
We've been talking about it being annoying because it's easily avoidable by the customer, and that it causes people to finish late for 39 pages. I didn't feel it was necessary to type the full reasoning behind it being annoying as it is already typed out on every page of the thread. In general, outside of the specific annoyance of late orders, it's good not to annoy people too if annoying them is easily avoidable. Knowing what you want to order before holding up the line or calling to place an order, not leaving a mess of trash at your table, not staying past close, etc, etc.

Raist

Banned
Yes, technically, if they close shop at 11pm, you can order at 10:59:59.

But you can also be a bit considerate and realize that you're likely going to be a bit of a nuisance.

And yes, the note wasn't exactly a brilliant idea, but it's not like it was aggressive or anything. Just like, annoyed.

So on the jerk'o'meter, I'll go:

Last minute order < post-it note <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< putting that shit on social media. Which, the more it goes, the more I wonder if "social" is still a valid qualificative.

milanbaros

Member?
They're absolute cunts for knowing that the place closes at 11 and coming in anyways at 10:59 and ordering a well-done steak. Is that steak going to be done by 11? No. Are they going to remain in the establishment after 11 to eat said steak? Yes. Are they ACTUALLY conducting the transaction during business hours? Nope, they just walked in before the door was locked.

Ergo, cunts.

And queue the responses about how he should close the restaurant early because that's totally up to him, and how he should just do his damn job and expect people to come in at 10:59, while glossing over the fact that it doesn't make those people any less of a cunt for doing so.

But how does the customer know whether they have the crazy policy (continue taking orders when the kitchen is done) or the sensible policy I.e. We stop taking orders at a set time to allow us to close up properly? Most people would assume if you are taking orders then it has some sort of reason or logic to it other than we don't know how to set a proper no further orders time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yes, technically, if they close shop at 11pm, you can order at 10:59:59.

But you can also be a bit considerate and realize that you're likely going to be a bit of a nuisance.

And yes, the note wasn't exactly a brilliant idea, but it's not like it was aggressive or anything. Just like, annoyed.

So on the jerk'o'meter, I'll go:

Last minute order < post-it note <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< putting that shit on social media. Which, the more it goes, the more I wonder if "social" is still a valid qualificative.

All pizza places I know of that deliver out here in Sweden stop taking orders like 30 minutes before they close (or even earlier). If you don't want orders 5 min before closing, don't accept orders 5 min before closing! If you do take the order, shut the fuck up and just deliver it. Don't complain about it. There's no defending Domino's here. They made their own mess.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Don't you guys have last order system in your restaurants? Restaurant close at 11pm, last order at 10pm.

Yeah why not just this, like in pubs, last orders half 10, time at quarter to, close at 11. Or thereabouts.

Surely should just be up to the shop to say "no we don't take orders after this time..."

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Don't you guys have last order system in your restaurants? Restaurant close at 11pm, last order at 10pm.

Americas pretty fucking useless, so probably not.

Increase wages, remove tipping, have a kitchen closes at time and a restaurant closes at time.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I expect to be able to patronize a business if they're open. If you don't want to serve the public five or ten minutes before closing, say "I'm sorry but we just shut down the kitchen/computers/registers/etc." 99% of people will understand.

Americas pretty fucking useless, so probably not.

Increase wages, remove tipping, have a kitchen closes at time and a restaurant closes at time.

Most businesses do have the "sorry, we're past last call" system. Nice job painting a country of 320 million people as "fucking useless," though. You must be a really tolerant person.

Don't defend these idiots. The customers weren't trying to be rude or inconsiderate, but the employees chose to act like they did. If the company didn't wan't orders to come in at the last minute, they would cut off online orders an hour before store closing.

Since that was not the case, they have no recourse and shouldn't complain. They agreed to work for this company and therefore should abide by company policy on filling orders. This isn't a new thing, customers always come in last second to buy stuff at my store. The focus is to ring them out as fast as possible and close up. Period. Anyone else tries to get in, you block the entrance and say "Sorry, closed."

If you work in retail, listen close: You're not paid for your effort, you're paid for your time.

Doesn't matter how many orders you filled that day. If you're still on the clock, management will try and maximize your production because its of no extra cost to them.

If you don't like it, then quit and live on your parents' couch.

It's posts like these that make me truly appreciate working where I do and feel bad for everyone who doesn't. I'll be sad if/when I have to move on.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I don't see many people saying this note on the pizza was a good move or career choice.
Is anybody? The note is rude and completely unprofessional, I don't think there are a lot of people that would argue that it's not.

All pizza places I know of that deliver out here in Sweden stop taking orders like 30 minutes before they close (or even earlier). If you don't want orders 5 min before closing, don't accept orders 5 min before closing! If you do take the order, shut the fuck up and just deliver it. Don't complain about it. There's no defending Domino's here. They made their own mess.

As someone who has worked for Domino's, Pizza Hut and even Papa John's for years right out of highschool this is hard for me. Before automated ordering it wasn't really an issue. You could just stop taking orders X amount of time before close.

Insert automated ordering... While corporate leaves the system on until the last possible moment the local management pressure to be out of there at closing time and not 30 minutes to an hour after doesn't go away. Labor is a huge part of the costs(pizzas themselves are amazingly cheap).

With that being said the note was hardly rude though plenty unprofessional. I do agree they made this mess themselves. It's just a clear lack of caring and communication from the top about the issues those at the bottom experience. Myself and others have been written up for not adhering to the labor estimations(we had to stay late for last minute orders). Even though in some stores the automated system can be turned off manually(more a Pizza Hut old implementation of automatic ordering than a Domino's thing)a bit before close but you'll get written up if they catch you doing so. That's why I empathize. It's also why I eventually quit. I'm not trying to defend Domino's or any other place so much as give you an idea of the pressure the employees face.

P.S. I graduated high school in '03 so my perspective maybe dated.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I expect to be able to patronize a business if they're open. If you don't want to serve the public five or ten minutes before closing, say "I'm sorry but we just shut down the kitchen/computers/registers/etc." 99% of people will understand.

Most businesses do have the "sorry, we're past last call" system. Nice job painting a country of 320 million people as "fucking useless," though. You must be a really tolerant person.

Mate GAF just paints all of Australia as racist consistently, so harden up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom