• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rude Note On Domino’s Box Scolds Customer For Late Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
What exactly are those last minutes for, then?

Are they just a magical buffer zone where the employees get paid but nobody has to run the storefront?
Yeah, they're not doing anything else.

PopeReal

That was one of the most annoying things when I was in the restaurant business back in the day. Whenever I had the control I would lock the doors early and not answer the phone when we got near closing time. If I didn't, you just have to deal with it. But fuck people who take a seat in restaurant when you are closing in a few minutes. Make your order to go, don't sit there and make the staff wait just for you. Anyway glad those days are over.

Fuck those employees. When my boss asks me to do something 5 minutes before my day is over, I don't point to the clock and say, "no." I do it because that is part of the fucking job. Sometimes you gotta stay late. Its not just in the food/service industry. Its everywhere. Sure, it sucks, but you kinda know that shit can happen when you take the job.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Please don't tell me to fuck off.

You have no concept of working retail based on your comments. I've done it for far too long grasp the nonsense you are spewing. You simply don't do things like this and expect a paycheck the following week.

How does that make them pieces of shits?

Even in a standard restraurant if your shift ends at 'close' and the restaurant 'closes' at 12, there's a fart's chance in hell of you getting out of there at 12. That isn't how it works.

TDLink

Yeah, they're not doing anything else.

Employees are paid to close. They don't stop getting paid when the store closes for business. They stop getting paid when they clock out. Closing shouldn't happen before the official closing time.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Expecting you to do your job makes you miserable? Yikes, life is going to be rough. Food service isn't the only industry where people have to put up with bullshit. Deal with it.
Whatever pal. Treat people like serfs if you get off on it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Closing time for customers isn't closing time for employees. I've never seen a place where 30-60 minutes hasn't been allocated at the end for cleaning, cash up and things like this. And the longer you stay, the longer you get paid.

My local pizza joint throws in fries and other free stuff if you order at the end of the night. They like money and have extra.

Suggesting the note was "anti-nurse" is eyeroll worthy, and damn does it sound like they're fishing hard for free food, but you're not supposed to vent to the customer in situations like this lol. You go in the back or curse them under your breathe and forget about it.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
With the pizza crew on this one. Ya'll are failing to notice that in the end they DID make that pizza and they DID deliver it. They did their jobs all the way up to and beyond their posted hours.

The customers got what they ordered and were told they're dicks. Win win.

Einchy

They pissed off the customer, company, superior, coworkers in one quick swoop. Shit move.

Telling the truth annoyed people, I fail to see how this makes that person a piece of shit.

[edit]

You're on some 'the customer is always right' bullshit. The customer isn't always right, the customer is often a massive dick and I'm glad sometimes they're told that.

darscot

This is hardly viral worthy, but if I owned a restaurant and someone did this I would probable fire them. Its just a stupid thing to do.

Beefy

oh shut up

have some goddamn sense and realize the pizzas are not instant , HSFR.

Those last few minutes are not for you to waltz in and well guess I'll just stay open cause you want a pizza now right kiddo? Nah getthafuckouttahere.

The store could simply declined the order? Why did they accept it even though they knew it would make them run late? I would blame who ever accepted the order.

If they have a complaint about the practice of taking last minute orders, they should discuss with management, not the customer. Some businesses post "order-by" times that are earlier than the dine-in closing time. Unless they have such a time posted, it's not the customer's fault.

Note shouldn't have been written, and yes, even though you CAN order five minutes before closing doesn't mean that you should.

This. It is exactly what I would do when I had the keys and running the show. Sometimes even earlier if it was slow.

This is a great first step on the road of demotion.

With the pizza crew on this one. Ya'll are failing to notice that in the end they DID make that pizza and they DID deliver it. They did their jobs all the way up to and beyond their posted hours.

You have absolutely zero idea how customer service, or generally representing a conglomerate as an employee works, clearly.

What's your job? I know in mine I can't be passive aggressive or snarky to customers, no matter how well I do my actual job.

Whatever pal. Treat people like serfs if you get off on it.

I treat people like they're competent and willing to do their jobs. With 99% of people it's never a problem. I don't have any time for lazy employees, and way less time for whiners. You get paid to take orders until time x - you're taking orders until time x.

Parch

Just refuse service if it's a problem. Otherwise, accept it. Leaving a note like that is extremely bad publicity for the company.

Why are they dicks for ordering food during hours of operation?

jay

I am glad this historically relevant event has been brought to my attention. We need to never order from Dominoes again to fight this injustice. Who is with me?

Einchy

...because they did not consider the customer, company, superior, coworkers in their decision. Pretty simple.

It seems like you're more worried about the owner of domino's than you are with the employee. I'm sure the CEO of Domino's will be fine.

Sanjuro

You have absolutely zero idea how customer service, or generally representing a conglomerate as an employee works, clearly.

What's your job? I know in mine I can't be passive aggressive or snarky to customers, no matter how well I do my actual job.

Yeah. If he worked for Joey's Go Fuck Yourself Pizzeria, Then MAYBE I'd be onboard.

It seems like you're more worried about the owner of domino's than you are with the employee. I'm sure the CEO of Domino's will be fine.

Umm....

Jarate

Banned
Why is this a news story? Like imagine you worked your entire life for this one shining moment of being hired as a journalist, and the news story you cover is "passive aggressive note on pizza box"

Beefy

Note shouldn't have been written, and yes, even though you CAN order five minutes before closing doesn't mean that you should.

Not in a lot of places where I live in the UK you can't. They have cut off times which are 10-30mins before closing (depending on the kind of takeaway you order). The Domino's near me does this.

The phrasing is polite, the act of writing it at all is rude. You were open, you took the order, you got paid. End of transaction. If you can't make pizzas past a certain time, don't take the orders. Otherwise, be glad you have customers. Not all that complicated.

If as a customer I'm leaving a mess in your store or am being abusive to staff, you have the right to tell me whatever you want and kick me out. If I'm giving you money to buy the product you are advertising during the hours you state you are available, then you make my pizza and smile. That's literally what you're there for.

Symphonia

Banned
From the OP: Domino's Pizza the nurses on 5 east deserve an apology, and I am sure as much pizza as you can deliver.
That doesn't read like the nurses asking for it, more like an advocate saying they should get free pizza. Either way, it was a shitty thing to do. I work in sales. If we close at 6pm, and a customer comes in at 5:59pm wanting to buy a phone/contract, we don't turn them away. We do our job. You know, the thing you're contracted to do.

realwords

One of the Dominos employees is going to come into the hospital with a severe oven burn and the nurses are going to be like "sorry, we're about to close"

I treat people like they're competent and willing to do their jobs. With 99% of people it's never a problem. I don't have any time for lazy employees, and way less time for whiners. You get paid to take orders until time x - you're taking orders until time x.

I just do not like this thing in society where a customer can practically drop a deuce on your floor and the employee is the asshole if they complain. The ability to do something does not necessarily mean that a person is right to do that. Even if the impetus is on the company to implement a no-order closure time, a person should also work harder to be considerate of the impact a last-minute order can create.

Einchy

Yeah. If he worked for Joey's Go Fuck Yourself Pizzeria, Then MAYBE I'd be onboard.

Umm....

Umm what? You're calling someone a piece of shit because they wrote a passive aggressive note to people who feel it's okay to order food 5 minutes before the store is closed. Calling them a piece of shit is ten times more extreme than what that note said.

PopeReal

This is a great first step on the road of demotion.

Who was going to demote me? It was my decision. And if I was in the restaurant business now I would do the same.

Customers come first to a point. But when your coworkers many times have 2 jobs, have school, have families at home still waiting for them at 10pm, they absolutely come first.

Sanjuro

Umm what? You're calling someone a piece of shit because they wrote a passive aggressive note to people who feel it's okay to order food 5 minutes before the store is closed. Calling them a piece of shit is ten times more extreme than what that note said.

It is oka to order. You kind of don't get how retail works.

I just do not like this thing in society where a customer can practically drop a deuce on your floor and the employee is the asshole if they complain.

Ordering food while the establishment is open is not equivalent to shitting on the floor. What the fuck.

This seems like such a ridiculously easy "problem" to fix. Publish the latest time your store accepts new orders. That way if it's 5 minutes or 30 seconds before that time, it's still all good. Nobody gets their precious feelings hurt.

Certain employees would just start bitching when you called five minutes before that.

FStop7

Banned
This seems like such a ridiculously easy "problem" to fix. Publish the latest time your store accepts new orders. That way if it's 5 minutes or 30 seconds before that time, it's still all good. Nobody gets their precious feelings hurt.

mileS

I don't care how annoying it is for the people working at Domino's or any food place like that. You don't leave notes like that.

First of all, plenty of people call or order online without knowing the exact closing time. Second, it may not be 'rude' but you certainly don't risk it with paying customers. They could read a note like that, take it personal and NEVER buy your food again. How would your boss or the higher ups feel about that? find another job basically.

As for wanting this to go viral... LOL ok.

Ordering 5 minutes before closing is shitty, and writing a passive aggressive note shitty. Everyone in this scenario is shitty. Not sure why this even made the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom