• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: $299 Ceramic White Playstation 3 shipping to retailers any day

soco

i don't really buy it. 150$ difference between the 40 & 80GB model? something seems a bit fishy there. i could buy 349$ & 449$ or 299$ and 399$, but otherwise that seems a bit much to me.

i'd like either matte white or brushed silver.

Oni Jazar said:
January & Febuary are the two slowest months of retail.

No way in hell would they drop the price so much at this point.

Well they don't want to lose TOO much money ;)

I think it sounds possible... I don't care either way, but it'll be interesting.

Is there a date for the DS3 yet?

lupinko

So what you're saying is that the movie only disc of Spider-Man 3 BD cost SCE $100 to include from SPE? When the two-disc BD set is $30 and the trilogy BD box is $70?

Most shocking news ever.

gcubed

death to hd-dvd am confirmed? There is way more money in having Bluray standard as soon as possible then there is in gaming, take loss now to ensure faster return on bluray later?

raYne

bluheim said:
Sony, DO IT !
Yes, doitdoit.gif!

TunaLover said:
not worth if you loose the B/C of the great PS2 games
If you think everyone cares about B/C, you're mistaken. I've never purchased a system in my life with any intention to play old games on it.. and I know I'm not alone.

That said, it isn't like it'd be the only sku.

Mrbob

gcubed said:
death to hd-dvd am confirmed? There is way more money in having Bluray standard as soon as possible then there is in gaming, take loss now to ensure faster return on bluray later?

This is really the main reason why I can find some tiny plausability to this rumor. Warner just lobbed sony a huge softball, and now they have a chance to knock it out of the park. The PS3 is fighting more than one battle.

TheKurgan

I really, really want it to be true. Couldn't care less about the white but $299 is an insane price - I would want, no NEED, to buy it. Especially if sony is still running a free Blu-Ray movie promotion with new PS3's. Screw the lowsy stock market etc. I would find the money...

bluheim

Banned
Mrbob said:
This is really the main reason why I can find some tiny plausability to this rumor. Warner just lobbed sony a huge softball, and now they have a chance to knock it out of the park. The PS3 is fighting more than one battle.

Let's hope you're right. This would end the HD war early instantly and give the 360 a run for his money...

Tom Penny said:
Wasn't this already debunked by Kaz yesterday?

Yeah, the same way a price drop was debunked by Jack Tretton 6 months before the price dropped. At the time he said there wouldn't be price drops as fast as PS2 yet the price dropped in almost half the time as the PS2.

The exec's will say what ever fits them the day they are asked the question and can and will change whenever they feel like it.

So confusing. I broke down and got a 60GB PS3 yesterday (only one I could find in my area). Although it would only be $50 I would feel a little sad. Rumors aside, why can't companies settle on a single price point and stick with it for more than a few months?

Mrbob said:
The more I think about it, the more this does make sense.

PS3 coming off a lukewarm holiday. Blu Ray just won. Sony needs to stimulate PS3 sales some more. A $299.99 PS3 would change everything. This would be a massive kickoff for PS3 sales in 2008 with momentum which could carry them a long time. It would also show SCEA is dedicated to be in it to win it, and not just linger around in 3rd place. Looking at Nov/Dec hardware sales, it is obvious the PS3 is still priced a bit high for the market at the moment. Do they really want to wait another 7 months with 100-150K monthly sales per month before dropping the price? This would also be a preemptive strike at boosting hardware sales before GTA4 is out. With Blu Ray winning they need to show studios they can get more PS3s in home to sell more Blu Ray movies.

It almost makes too much sense to market a $299.99 model now. This is why I don't think it will happen.

Using that logic it would make more sense for it to be $199 or even $99!!! The price they can sell the things for is directly related to costs it takes to make not what the market would buy the must units at.

Now that the blu ray battle is won I do not see why Sony have to be so aggressive with its pricing, simply wait for the blu ray royalties to come in.

Mrbob

mr_bishiuk said:
Using that logic it would make more sense for it to be $199 or even $99!!! The price they can sell the things for is directly related to costs it takes to make not what the market would buy the must units at.

Now that the blu ray battle is won I do not see why Sony have to be so aggressive with its pricing, simply wait for the blu ray royalties to come in.

While I agree with what you are saying, I still think there is a sweet spot when it comes to price point. $399.99 is not that spot. I think the PS3 could stick at the $299.99 pricepoint for a long time. But whatevaZ we are probably discussing bogus information anyway.

If you look at it from a Blu Ray perspective, its a potentially smart decision. Universal and Paramount are HDDVD exclusive. If I'm them, I know that switching to the other side ends the format war. The only benefit for them to switch is for Blu Ray because HD movies arent selling enough to be a major source of income. So what I'd try to do is wait and see if Blu Ray caves and offers money (hundreds of millions) to just switch to end the war.

If this is happening and I'm Sony, I dont want to pay all that. Instead we could lower the price of the PS3 and get even more blu ray players into even more houses, forcing Universal and Paramount over without blowing a ton of money in a payout. Plus you get more PS3s out into consumer's hands.

It might be possible... /conspiracy theory

by the way, a ton of assumptions were made in this post

The Innocent X said:
The rumour is gathering momentum. Only a few days till we find out
let's heat up things

screenshot.php

more momentum please

Draft

I have a slimline PS2 that I bought from Olimario so I will just duct tape that to my new $300 PS3. What does the memory card reader even do?

Kyoufu

Draft said:
I have a slimline PS2 that I bought from Olimario so I will just duct tape that to my new $300 PS3. What does the memory card reader even do?

Lets you hook up memory sticks.

Draft

Kyoufu said:
Lets you hook up memory sticks.
Yes but to what end. What is the purpose. What is contained on them. Here, what do you do with your memory sticks and memory card reader?

LJ11

Draft said:
Yes but to what end. What is the purpose. What is contained on them. Here, what do you do with your memory sticks and memory card reader?

Pictures, music, video files, saves, shit like that.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Draft said:
I will buy that thing on Monday if this is true. I am serious.

Same here. I bet I can convince the wife at that price. I'm pining for a Blu Ray player now that I have my sweet Bravia XBR TV.

jjasper

Draft said:

Transfer save files, UT3 mods (I think), load pictures, music, movies, etc.

Pretty much anything you use them for though can be done through the USB ports, so they really aren't that special.

MaverickX9 said:
What exactly is software based B/C? Is that the same as the B/C that came with the launch date PS3 models?

It's partial hardware, partial software BC, using the CELL for processing and the PS2's GPU. The 60 and 20GB units from launch used full hardware BC with the PS2's CPU and GPU.

I think software BC in the 80GB is around 80% accuracy or so. Don't know for sure because I don't have one, nor have I seen any comprehensive compatibility list. Use Sony's official website to see if your games will be compatible.

Himuro, buy a White PS3 for $299 and a White PS2 to go with it. :p

That is, if this is true. Which it's not.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Himuro said:
I'd like a white ps3, but I'd like a white ps3 with backwards compatibility. :( But at the same time, this one will cost 300 dollars.

FUCK.

Fuck BC at that price. I can live without it personally. To the future!

34g3gvk.jpg

Busty

Banned
SRG01 said:
Y'know what rumor hasn't really gained momentum?

$99 PS2.

That's because MS aren't competing with the PS2, so their viral marketeers don't bother starting misinformation campaigns.

*adjusts tin foil hat*

Kyoufu said:
lol yeah because people can't tell the difference between an ipod and a grill amirite?

So wrong. :lol

This would definately be the version I pick up when I settle on a Current Gen system in spring, though; the PS3 just "works" better as appliance white rather than ominous obsidion obelisk to me.

Top Bottom