• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: A new Splinter Cell could be in development

LewieP

Chalk me up as another who wants them to Batman Beyond it, with Fisher/Ironside being the mentor/handler for a new agent.

I also agree that big open self contained episodes like Dishonoured/Hitman/Chaos Theory is where Splinter Cell excells.

Make non lethal/ghosting viable but hard. Have some fun toys but not too many. Learn a thing or two from MGS5, but reign it in a little and give us more varied environments.

Doesn't need to have lots of graphics, but put the emphasis on lighting, animation and atmosphere.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
And for fuck's sake... analog movement speed pls.

jesus christ.

XAL

Blacklist's gameplay was pretty darn good I don't care what anyone else says. The Ghost/Panther playstyle on Realistic difficulty was AMAZING. So satisfying.

Also loved that Kestrel made it back into the story. His unused character suit was f u c k i n g d o p e

46277103603f589e636c1eafff862e64.jpg

I'm... Extremely pessimistic about this.

The only Stealth game that could be described as "Successful" in the past five years was Metal Gear Solid 5, and otherwise it's been Flop after Flop.

The genre's basically dead in the water. The audience seems to have vanished somehow.

tzare

I hope it is true.
I enjoyed all SC games, so anything is welcome: Blacklist , Conviction or Chaos Theory gameplay. Or a blend of those.
I think it could launch along with some remasters too, already bought them on ps3 but it would be nice to play them again with better GFX.

Crosses fingers

Back to the roots please. Still get warm, tingly feelings when I remember playing the stealthy Splinter Cell demo on the OG Xbox. Back to more stealth and cool gadgets.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Considering Wildlands, The Division, Siege and For Honor, I don't graphics will be a concern for this game. I've never played a Splinter Cell but I'd like to see sensible mechanics within the game. If you are spotted, an entire base doesn't go into high alert, only the people who have seen you. Gear, such as walkies can be destroyed to prevent enemies from communicating with one another, running or walking near an enemy doesn't mean that they'll automatically known that you're an enemy just by the sound of your steps. Being spotted totally changes the enemies patrol patterns and they'll never truly enter a state of passive patrolling again if you escape from their alert. I think SC will be one of those games whose success hinges on their ability to create novel and realistic AI.

I'm... Extremely pessimistic about this.

The only Stealth game that could be described as "Successful" in the past five years was Metal Gear Solid 5, and otherwise it's been Flop after Flop.

The genre's basically dead in the water. The audience seems to have vanished somehow.

Aw c'mon, what about all of Ubisoft's other amazing IPs such as Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, and Watch_Dogs? Those all have stealth!
/s

Ubisoft didn't even give us proper analogue-based movement speed. They don't have enough confidence in the player and wouldn't dare make a game like Chaos Theory in this day and age.

Blacklist was a mistake. They should've phased out Sam Fisher and kept Ironside as a "handler" over the comms.

Agreed 100%

It's the single most irritating issue that prevented me thus far from even playing Blacklist. I will play it eventually as I have all the others.

If you're giving us Fisher do not ditch the voice we've come to associate with him. The natural and smart move would've been to move him up in position into a Lambert-like role as you said for the new protagonist or protagonists.

I would very much love a return for the series and can see an announcement at MS' E3 conference to showcase the Scorpio's power much as the old trilogy did the OG Xbox.

I also like the idea of a MGSV or Dishonored route with a more sandbox/open world approach within the mission to mission and location to location, traditional stealth parameter style of past games. I can see it working well in SC and the missions can vary in size. I don't see why they have to be limited in scope. Just put in more security/police/NPC's etc. that the player has to properly navigate through and around in various ways or risk mission failure. Simple.

SxP

I really hope it's not open world. I loved Blacklist. Yeah, it was a little different, but it was a lot of fun. Hopefully they just build on that.

Blacklist's gameplay was pretty darn good I don't care what anyone else says. The Ghost/Panther playstyle on Realistic difficulty was AMAZING. So satisfying.

Also loved that Kestrel made it back into the story. His unused character suit was f u c k i n g d o p e

46277103603f589e636c1eafff862e64.jpg

Damn. He does look dope.

Alienfan

I really liked Conviction and thought Blacklist was easily the best in the series. I know I'm in the minority though and Blacklist sold poorly. So fully expecting this new Splinter Cell to be an open world co-op reboot.

hotcyder

I'm sure there's plenty of KojiPro engineers left over who worked on MGSV (at least the ones that weren't moved over to Death Stranding).

Just saying, Ubi.

Fans of the stealth genre are loud and a little demanding (understandably, given their attachment to glorious games from times gone by) but they don't represent a big juicy market unfortunately.

Certain games like Dishonored make it seem like stealth games are having a come back but then Thief gets released and its a dud. With Blacklist not doing great it's hard to see the series getting another release.

Maybe it'll go through another reinvention as an open world, stealth or action sandbox.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Wasn't there a comment or similar by Ironside that hinted at him being back in the booth for VO for a new Splinter Cell game a year or two ago? I could swear that was the case.

Edit: Yeah here we go, from 2016 GAF no less http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1263153&page=1

To throw a date on this: I did see Ironside and one his daughters at the TO studio last summer. This was just good timing, as I was there on other business.
I have two sources who worked on the set of The Space Between (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4682922/), which was shooting in TO. Ironside mentioned he was working on a new Splinter Cell. One source is someone I trust, the other is an acquaintance by degrees.
The movie shoot overlapped the same week as my encounter. As I understand it, he was here for the movie first and worked in the studio visit while in town.
None of us is bound by NDA over this, given our connections and circumstances, but it still feels shady to talk about since it's not official. I was surprised I hadn't seen this news from someone else by now, to be honest.
I know UbiSoft TO has a wonderful new mocap studio.
While I did express disappointment it wasn't shown at E3, this thing could be early along. I haven't seen actual in-game assets or production assets for myself (like the Syndicate extra timeline story). I don't know who is making it. I know other dev studios have used the mocap studio.
Remember Ubisoft studios collaborate often. The TO studio contributed content to Watch_Dogs 2, and For Honor also takes up a chunk there. I'd like to say this was another TO take on the franchise, but I will not until I know more.
That would have put the VO recording sometime in 2015.

Ubisoft were very vocal about more powerful consoles when PS4/X1 released right?

I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox gets a marketing deal with this one with Scorpio

Raide

I want this. Spies v Mercs could be big especially with there recent success with Rainbow.

Yeah. Chaos Theory 2 would be amazing. They need to have the voice comms in there as well. Whispering to enemies as you snap them, is a true joy.

Boss Mog

They need to do a remaster of Blacklist, that game came out a couple months before the PS4 and XB1, and so a lot of people skipped it to save up for the new systems. The game still looks great on PC by today's standards.

AerialAir

Banned
I'd buy a new Splinter Cell. I liked Blacklist and Metal Gear is dead.

This. I've been waiting for my espionage stealth fix since I've finished MGS V and a new Splinter Cell would be more than welcome.

Edit: A real Pandora Tomorrow remake would also be very welcome.

Aaltopahvi

Neo Member
I want this. Spies v Mercs could be big especially with there recent success with Rainbow.

Yeah i really hope they do push it. They have been trying to bring multiplayer in their games more into the spotlight so they may do it to it as well.
Hope it's not that MLG esports bullshit.

Ubisoft were very vocal about more powerful consoles when PS4/X1 released right?

I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox gets a marketing deal with this one with Scorpio

Splinter cell was an original xbox exclusive back on the big ol fatty with the paladin controller....would sort of make a lot of sense with them going back to their roots

most likely a timed exclusive though

I sure hope they return to their roots ( Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory) because those were my favorites.

One of the best trilogy I've ever played.

And I know that Chaos Theory is technically the best of the bunch but the first one will always be my first love in that series <3

The music, the ambiance, the little details, the graphics, the gameplay that rewarded careful progression through the long linear levels. HHHHHNNNGNNN. Loved it.

Mobius01

As much as I adore the series, they either need to replace Sam with another operative or go for a full reboot - something that should've been done with Blacklist. I feel the DA story arch and Sam's story as a whole concluded with this:

Sam: Remember what you told me, Anna? When this is over, everybody walks; I'm walking.
Grim: You can't. There's still too much left to do.
Sam: Ask Lambert. I've done too much already.
Grim: Sam, please. I don't know who else I can trust.
Sam: Trust? Funny you should say that. Goodbye, Grim.

KORNdoggy

if they do this i want an approach more akin to styx (better quality of course) or dishonored with the gameplay of chaos theory/blacklist. make the buildings your infiltrating more open and expansive with multiple entrances, multiple routes that take advantage of the various playstyles given to us in blacklist. also return to almost exclusively dark missions. if you can't manipulate light and dark and sneak around in shadows, it's not splinter cell.

also, i feel like they need to either reboot it completely with a new protagonist. or make it a follow on with ironside as a mentor role the same way lambert was for fisher...i'm not sure i actually want ironside as fisher anymore. dudes just old.

Perhaps the thing I most missed since Chaos Theory was the more sarcastic, self-aware Fisher. Some of his lines and guard interrogations were genuinely hilarious, and helped to bring a lighter, human side to the Clancyverse's love of military shenanigans.

KageMaru

Wasn't there a rumor a while back saying Ironside was voicing Sam again?

Hope it's true and I also hope they took some inspiration from MGSV.

dr_rus

Every SC after CT was pure crap (yes, Blacklist too). I see no way Ubisoft will be able to suddenly make a good one now, and judging by the long pause after Blacklist they are pretty sure in this themselves. SC needs a full reboot with a lot of thought put into the metastory this time.

Mobius01

I still don't know why they didn't make Blacklist's protagonist a new character, with Ironside's Sam Fisher playing the Lambert role - providing Intel, objectives and sarcastic banter.

I assumed this was happening when they released images of Ironside talking to Eric Johnson at the mo-cap shooting. It made much more sense.

With other franchises going back to their roots (i.e. Resident Evil 7, CoD:WWII, DOOM, etc) Maybe Ubisoft will understand that they should be realistic about the grandeur of this project and just try to make the best stealth game they can.

Better to please the core fans while staying true to your identity, and you never know, they could create a massive success for the scope of the project than to alienate your fans and make a generic game.

Reclaim the throne of the stealth genre Ubi!

This game on Scorpio would make me purchase both day one. Never owned an Xbox.

For some reason in my head:

Metal Gear = PlayStation
Splinter Cell = Xbox

Top Bottom