• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: A new Splinter Cell could be in development

Rambler

Blacklist wasn't as horrible as the E3 reveal made it look but it wasn't Splinter Cell's big return to form either. Still a lot of room for improvement.

RedSwirl

Concerning Blacklist, it was pretty good that Ubisoft re-purposed Conviction's building blocks to create level design that facilitated a variety of approaches and play styles, but that doesn't feel ideal for a lot of Splinter Cell or stealth game fans. To me, the levels in Blacklist kinda felt like platformer levels or something -- like slightly more intimate Assassin's Creed maps or something. That method works, but it still produces a very different feel from the firs three Splinter Cell games, particularly Chaos Theory.

CT's levels felt very systemic, even the more linear ones, and in general more interactive. The way you could interact with objects that affected light, sound, the AI, and security systems felt deep and immersive. Blacklist in comparison approaches these things in more gamey "on, off" kind of way.

I don't expect Ubisoft to make that kind of game anymore though unless Clint Hocking is involved (he is back at Ubisoft and we don't know what he's working on). Ubisoft today is all about very gamey systems built around XP and whatnot. It wants open, emergent games, but not in the immersive sim style you got with Chaos Theory, Far Cry 2, or Dishonored.

And yeah I think the soft reboot decision with the story of Blacklist was a mistake. Ubisoft needs to let go of Fisher and at the very least retire him to being the guy in your earpiece (so they can get Ironsides back). Basically every Ubisoft game recently has been create-a-character anyway.

Fam,

I'm playing Ghost Recon Wildlands wearing the Splinter Cell outfit (courtesy of Ubi Club), doing most of my missions at night with NVG and Thermal. I keep all of my weapons with silencers on 24/7...but I miss the hanging upside-down neck twist :(

It's as close as I'm gonna get. Why aren't these games on BC yet? Ubi why you no like my monies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Frankly, I don't think Ubi has the capability or the desire to make a good Splinter Cell anymore. So, whatever. Series died after Chaos Theory.

Unity2012

BC, remastered, rebooted or new & improved; I think we're all ready for more Splinter Cell. Any SC news will make E3 one of the best for me.

Add 4k, HDR, improved animations and gameplay mechanics, and fans will go crazy happy... i know I will.

etta

my hard graphic balls
BC, remastered, rebooted or new & improved; I think we're all ready for more Splinter Cell. Any SC news will make E3 one of the best for me.

Add 4k, HDR, improved animations and gameplay mechanics, and fans will go crazy happy... i know I will.
E3 announcement with "Conviction/Blacklist available on back compat today" would make the best E3 in years!

Top Bottom