• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Apple-related gaming announcement on Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Games machine similar to the influx of Android-based competitors seen in recent years though with Apple's vast resources and backing behind it. Google's coming out with one so it was only a matter of time before Apple joined the race. Hope it's something more megaton worthy than that though and completely out of left field like them buying Nintendo or something of that caliber.

I'm actually excited to see what this is. Apple is a corporate monolith with the power and capability to make waves.

LordOfChaos

I'm going to guess that's a fair bit of hyperbole. Apple announces major events well in advance, and nothing was planned for Friday.

I strongly suspect that we *will* be getting an Apple TV capable of gaming sometime this year, but with this little notice and on a Friday that's not what this is. It's probably some big game being announced for iOS.

Interfectum

Could it be a negative? He's saying for Apple fans to prepare their b-holes as it's going to be a "bloodbath" and bad news is always posted on Friday. Maybe a policy change coming?

Destiny is coming to Mac.

Bungie returning home yo!

I kind of hope this actually happens as part of the PC reveal if/when that happens. Would be nice

Official Final Fantasy XV iOS wallpaper app release date! Featuring six of Noctis, eight of the car, one of an Adamantoise and thirteen of Lightning for some reason!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
None of the major tech bloggers/sites have even mentioned this in the recent past so I'm not sure this is anything notable.

Yeah if this was an event for a new product there would obviously have been some noise coming from some folks.

Maybe this is just an acquisition?
they're buying nintendo

Jonboy

Anyone follow this guy regularly? How has his reporting been in the past?

He doesn't have many followers and so far, none of the reputable Apple guys I follow have said anything about it.

But when apple makes something that has existed already, adds brushed aluminum, a fancy UI, then doubles the price, it's a GOUNDBREAKING INNOVATION that will change the tech industry at its core!

I would agree but I dont think it has been that way for a years or two. A lot of the press have been pretty critical of apples current direction and potential future. the Iwatch got a pretty lukewarm reaction after its "reveal"

Well not The Verge but they would marry their macbook airs if they could.

If there's anything for Apple to announce Friday (which I doubt highly), I'm among those who hope it's something to already support an existing and strong ecosystem, like a controller for the iPad. People underestimate the iPad's performance a lot.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Did the guy hint at news that actually happened before? Or is this the first time he does something like this?

Yeah if this was an event for a new product there would obviously have been some noise coming from some folks.

Maybe this is just an acquisition?
they're buying nintendo

Zero buzz and build-up beforehand without Apple giving notice indicates it's likely not a new product announcement as it doesn't follow their usual protocol.

An acquisition does seem more probable particularly with the ominous sentiment of the Twitter post. So who could it be? Apple could technically afford Nintendo but I think Nintendo's management would rather commit seppuku before being acquired by an external company. An American one at that.

Someone smaller? Related to hardware?

SgtCobra

Every time Apple has a gaming related announcement the press likes to hype it up into oblivion. Will wait en see the disappointment unfold.

Apple doesn’t do big news events on Fridays and they always give one or two weeks notice.

So if there’s any announcement, it’s either really small (Press release only) or some other company is making a game/tech/whatever announcement.

And burying that on a Friday would be odd, too. Unless it was bad news.

eh

They've acquired Nintendo it is, then.

Could it be a negative? He's saying for Apple fans to prepare their b-holes as it's going to be a "bloodbath" and bad news is always posted on Friday. Maybe a policy change coming?

He's saying people in general should prepare their b-holes. Honestly, most of GAF thinks that any good news for Apple is bad news for them (as can be seen in this very thread).
That would be neat but I'd be really surprised.

Apple announces their Q4 results tomorrow, and they usually make sure those are out of the way before getting to any new business. But a Friday event is still way too soon for any Apple-specific announcement. An acquisition's possible, though, I suppose.

Now I'm suddenly hungry.

For b-hole?

I bet this will just be a big-name port, along the lines of KOTOR or XCOM.

I guess since he also specified tech writers it could be a game controller for Apple TV like the one for Amazon and Google's streaming boxes, unless it's accompanied by a huge game it's hard to imagine getting so worked up about that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom