• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Apple-related gaming announcement on Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For b-hole?

I bet this will just be a big-name port, along the lines of KOTOR or XCOM.

I guess since he also specified tech writers it could be a game controller for Apple TV like the one for Amazon and Google's streaming boxes, unless it's accompanied by a huge game it's hard to imagine getting so worked up about that though.

Apple would not be making any sort of press statement about that.

Pretty much confirms a new Apple TV that plays iOS games.
Nothing to see here, just Apple catching up with everyone else as usual.

Come the fuck on, can we try? Everyone becomes a fucking troll in Apple threads. So much salt.

cmChimera

Nothing from Apple itself. Likely something third party.

Edit: Just saw the favorited tweet. Unless invites go out today or tomorrow, I don't see this being an Apple event. And I don't think Apple would silently announce a new Apple Tv or Watch pre-orders. I could definitely see invites going out on Friday though. Then again, Tim Cook may be pulling a surprise. Who knows?

Iacobellis

For b-hole?

I bet this will just be a big-name port, along the lines of KOTOR or XCOM.

I guess since he also specified tech writers it could be a game controller for Apple TV like the one for Amazon and Google's streaming boxes, unless it's accompanied by a huge game it's hard to imagine getting so worked up about that though.

Yes. Look up bunny hole on Urban Dictionary.

Pretty much confirms a new Apple TV that plays iOS games.
Nothing to see here, just Apple catching up with everyone else as usual.

Apple doesn't wait until this late in the game to schedule hardware announcements. The press usually knows about Apple events at least a week in advance.

Apple's Q4 earnings/results come in tomorrow, so it's possible that on Friday they'll announce that an event is coming up sometime in the next two weeks. That's about the most that's possible.

AmyS

Finally, a Pippin successor

Actually, Pippin's successor was in development in the mid-late 1990s. Never saw light of day though.

SEPTEMBER 30, 1996 / VOLUME 10 NUMBER 37

Options will make Pippin 2 a home, network computer

By David Morgenstern (david_morgenstern@macweek.com)

As its Pippin partner is preparing to enter the domestic market, Apple is firming up plans for its next-generation design. The forthcoming revision will give developers greater flexibility as well as compliance with the proposed Network Computer Reference profile.

Sources said Apple is demonstrating for third-party licensees and developers the Pippin 2.0, a reference design that is expected to show up in devices in the third quarter of 1997. Some models will cost less than $500.

The first-generation Pippin, the @World Player from Bandai Digital Entertainment Corp. of La Mirada, Calif., is set to ship in the United States in November. The company said the base model will cost $599; a configuration with all the trimmings is not currently priced (see 05.20.96, Page 1).

"Pippin is evolving," a Pippin developer said. "Bandai financed a game machine to compete with Sega and Nintendo but came up with much more -- a Network Computer."

The new system will be a modular hardware and software platform that will let licensees easily pick and choose which features to ship in a product, sources said. While the current Pippin must start up from a CD-ROM, Version 2.0 allows for as much as 8 Mbytes of ROM that can hold system software or third-party application software, such as an Internet browser. The system will also support a diskless booting capability (see 05.27.96, Page 1).

The scheme will also reportedly let vendors create low-cost systems without disc-based storage for vertical markets, such as a networked kiosk or a television set-top box with a cable modem. In addition to the floppy drives and Iomega Corp.'s Zip storage currently available for the Pippin, Version 2.0 will support EPROM storage for files.

tNoAi0Z.gif

Based on a 120-MHz PowerPC 603 processor, the new Pippin will be far speedier than its predecessor; sources said Apple may use a 603e chip, depending on prices next year.

The design will reportedly feature an 80-MHz system bus, much faster than that available with any current Macintosh and most desktop computers. In addition, the hardware will be tweaked to provide a high-bandwidth stream to the video buffer.

According to sources, the Pippin 2.0 will offer a wider range of multimedia optimizations than its predecessor. It will come standard with hardware 2-D and 3-D graphics acceleration, and the reference design includes an MPEG-2 video decompressor. The system will also support AC3 encoded audio.

Developers reportedly will be able to add a Digital Video Disc (DVD) player in designs. The Pippin 2.0 will support most compact disc standards, including digital audio, Photo CD and the multimedia Enhanced CD format.

The Pippin 2.0 will support the 1394 serial standard, or FireWire, but sources said Apple has not decided if the technology will be integrated on the motherboard or as a daughtercard.

Users will also be able to connect and control a variety of 1394 devices, such as digital video cameras, digital VCRs and printers, which are expected to ship in 1997. In addition, the inclusion of FireWire will let the Pippin act as a control console for any attached programmable devices, such as a D-VCR.

"I see potential with FireWire," said analyst Van Baker with Dataquest Inc. of San Jose, Calif., after hearing about the reported new Pippin specifications. He said Apple's poor performance over the past year and the Pippin's game-machine background may present obstacles for its acceptance in enterprise sites. However, "a Network Computer that adds video and multimedia is a different value proposition," Baker said.

In addition to the home entertainment and NC markets, Apple also sees potential sales for the Pippin 2.0 in the education market, sources said.

Apple declined to comment.

https://web.archive.org/web/19970112123853/http://www.macweek.com/mw_1037/news_pippin.html

Fhtagn

wasn't there rumours about Apple bringing out a TV?

source: washington post (2011)

Yes, but content-rights discussions have stalled that out and anything that major would involve invites sent to press with two weeks notice and a streamed keynote on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

neptunes

If it was anything hardware related we would have heard rumblings months or weeks ago.

Software announcement, most likely 3rd party related.

Apple isn't announcing a huge, long awaited revision like this to the Apple TV on a friggin' Friday, kids. Come on.

I doubt the update to the Apple TV is going to be that "huge," especially if it's just an Apple TV with faster processor and (if the gaming rumor is true) the ability to play games.

I assumed they would update it at their last big press conference but it didn't happen. At this point I think it will just get a small to medium size announcement, like they do when they just update the internals of their Macs.

weren't there rumours about Apple bringing out a TV?

source: washington post (2011)

There were rumors about that, but the TV business is pretty unappealing to Apple (and just about any high-endelectronics manufacturer not already embroiled in it). People upgrade their TVs like once every ten years, 3D and 4K have failed to light the world on fire, and the whole thing's just become a big race to the bottom on price with little room for a 'luxury' entrant. Set-top boxes (and to a lesser degree gaming consoles), on the other hand, make plenty more sense if you want actual rapid technological growth because they're both cheap and technologically simple to replace.

However, Apple's avoided upgrading the AppleTV for two years, and in that time the Chromecast has come out and the Roku's made serious strides.

The AppleTV is really likely to remain a set-top box in whatever fashion, but it'd be great for it to get some sort of voice/camera driven interface a la Kinect without vastly increasing the number of wires and pieces of hardware required.

Maybesew

Apple only announces truly major stuff on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, so this is either bs, an acquisition, or a third party thing that's not really about Apple even if it's Apple related.

Exactly this. At best it's a 3rd party controller or device that even remotely has to do with gaming and or apple.

Apple only announces truly major stuff on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, so this is either bs, an acquisition, or a third party thing that's not really about Apple even if it's Apple related.

Yep. Or option 3, which is an announcement of an announcement.

kiguel182

The Apple Tv will have a controller and will be able to play games? Not that amazing since Google, Amazon and the likes all have those kind of machines.

The Apple Tv will have a controller and will be able to play games? Not that amazing since Google, Amazon and the likes all have those kind of machines.
Which is why I am curious why the guy is hyping it up. Also I could see it announcing the product and then say that they are going to go more detail later on. Not that unusual.

Come the fuck on, can we try? Everyone becomes a fucking troll in Apple threads. So much salt.
Not really. Been enjoying a 5 inch phone, a smart watch, and having a streaming stick for awhile now. It is not even Android, Pebble and Roku been doing it better as well.

Officail gameboy advance app...sigh if only
Nah, you will have to join Windows/Android for that.

Metalmarc

Angry Mario Birds
Marios ios minigame
Apple tv with controller now updated to look a bit like a fire tv

Officail gameboy advance app...sigh if only

Acquisitions are usually announced at the close of business at the week's end and come out nowhere with no advance warning. Gaming-related acquisition is the most probable scenario.

Probably just apps on Apple TV and an $80 controller.

This seems like the most logical outcome in my mind. Amazon has been killing them with Apps on FireTV and the fact that the FireTV and FireTV stick can play games. If you can suddenly play games on your AppleTV with the MiFi controller or whatever then that would be a competition changer.

I doubt its something bigger.

kiguel182

Which is why I am curious why the guy is hyping it up. Also I could see it announcing the product and then say that they are going to go more detail later on. Not that unusual.

Not really. Been enjoying a 5 inch phone, a smart watch, and having a streaming stick for awhile now. It is not even Android, Pebble and Roku been doing it better as well.

Nah, you will have to join Windows/Android for that.

I'm guessing the hype it's because it's Apple and whatever they do will have a bigger impact than what Google and Amazon did. Or maybe they have a strong game initiative.

Probably just apps on Apple TV and an $80 controller.
I will laugh at the idea of an $80 BT controller, but knowing Apple you are right.

I'm guessing the hype it's because it's Apple and whatever they do will have a bigger impact than what Google and Amazon did. Or maybe they have a strong game initiative.
Probably the former. They managed to get people hyped about a 6 inch phone and a smart watch.

HYPE FOLKS, HYPE
It's Apple TV then. No doubt in my mind.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I think that is the most you can expect.

I think that is the most you can expect.

Apple TV: Gaming Edition. If Apple are serious about getting into consoles and gaming they'd probably re-brand the Apple TV as a cooler and more focused gamer device with perhaps a separate version of the product to lure in gamers. I think tacking on gaming capability to a device that doesn't exactly scream games would be doomed to fail and have minimal impact.

A new iteration on the Apple TV that clearly markets the device as a gaming capable machine makes the most sense; if Apple are indeed going down this route.

Seems like the original tweet was deleted.

Hmmmm.

Uh-oh. Someone said something they weren't supposed to. Hype levels increasing.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
THIS.IS.THE.END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom