• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Apple-related gaming announcement on Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolwhip

Banned
Im hoping the actual iTV will have native gaming support or some addon. A deal with Nintendo will never happen, but it would be perfect for both parties.

Alchemy

I'd love an official universal controller, but I'm guessing this announcement won't be very big. Just some company acquisition that we'll forget about for a few years until Apple uses them for something down the road.

Guys, Apple isn't going to announce new hardware on a Friday, and they're not going to announce new APIs (which would obviously be required for Apple TV gaming) except at WWDC or alongside new hardware.

Not saying that stuff isn't eventually coming, but that's basically definitely not what this is.

HOWEVER, it could be a big gaming-related acquisition.

I don't have any strong opinions on whatever this is, so long as they bring back the Pippin brand.

The biggest conceivable announcement involving Apple and games would actually be full native DirectX support, but there isn't a chance in hell Microsoft would let that happen until the day the Windows product line ceases to exist; it's as silly an idea as Nintendo going third-party while continuing to make hardware. So it isn't really conceivable.

Senior Advisor for AppleCare here. I have no knowledge of any Apple gaming announcements coming, but I hope it's Apple buying Sony just for the Neogaf popcorn value alone.

I don't have any strong opinions on whatever this is, so long as they bring back the Pippin brand.

The biggest conceivable announcement involving Apple and games would actually be full native DirectX support, but there isn't a chance in hell Microsoft would let that happen until the day the Windows product line ceases to exist; it's as silly an idea as Nintendo going third-party while continuing to make hardware. So it isn't really conceivable.

Apple's already got their own DirectX equivalent (as far as the mobile market's concerned, so scale it down accordingly) in their Metal API for their A7, A8, and A8X chips. And it's likely something Apple intends to wield aggressively in the mobile market just as Microsoft wielded it aggressively in the PC market.

Guys, Apple isn't going to announce new hardware on a Friday, and they're not going to announce new APIs (which would obviously be required for Apple TV gaming) except at WWDC or alongside new hardware.

Not saying that stuff isn't eventually coming, but that's basically definitely not what this is.

Yeah leaning towards a gaming-related acquisition or partnership at this point. It'd have to be something substantial to generate the storm this guy is promising. Reading around the rumours are pointing to either a games console announcement which as per the sentiment of your post I also feel is unlikely or just an exclusive game announcement for iOS which would explain why there's zero warning or notice from Apple leading up to the announcement.

What intrigues me is that this guy is making it sound like it's something really huge. Guess we'll find out on Friday unless the information leaks out before then.

I think this is it too. Anything else would have leaked by now. Question is, who would they acquire? Something that works well with IOS I assume.

Symphonia

Banned
Infinity Blade: Bloodbath.

MMORPG, up to 32-players online, exclusive to iPhone/iPad. Priced at $15 with in-game purchases available. Companion app available for Apple Watch.

AmyS

Apple G4 Cube
vHikLAJ.jpg

Panasonic Q
HK5pyTt.jpg

I think this is it too. Anything else would have leaked by now. Question is, who would they acquire? Something that works well with IOS I assume.

1) Doesn't have to be an acquisition, it could still be something entirely third-party-based (which is still what's most likely, I think) - just a game announcement for iOS from a noteworthy developer and/or franchise that hasn't been on iOS before.

2) If it is an acquisition, yeah, something that works well with iOS makes sense, but if this were about a *future* AppleTV thing then it doesn't have to be something that works well with multitouch specifically. It'd certainly tip Apple's hand, though, and Apple's made acquisitions that were kept secret for like six months before specifically because they don't like their acquisitions to clearly indicate what they've got planned.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Probably a new apple TV with a controller ala:

*Nexus gaming console*

and maybe some exclusive games.

This is what I thought too. They should've released this like back in 2010. Today it doesn't make sense at all. Hardcore games play on PC and console and casual gamers on smartphones. What would be the audience for that?

Apple to buy Nintendo.

Chump change for them, healthy revenue stream and similar ideology in product making. Big potential synergies.

Gaf would not survive, though.

This would be the megaton to end all megatons. GAF's servers would immediately crash and when the servers are restored it'd be meltdown after meltdown across a glorious five hundred page epic thread. As I stated in an earlier post however Nintendo's management would commit seppuku before willingly being bought out by an external company; particularly an American one. There was that rumour a while back that I believe held an element of truth that before starting up with Xbox Microsoft entertained the idea of acquiring Nintendo for $20 billion and Yamauchi reportedly laughed at the enquiry passing it off as a joke.

That's literally Nintendo's attitude right there: "Fuck that". How would Apple even theoretically pull it off? An aggressive takeover?

Then again with Iwata now in charge and Nintendo in dire straits an amicable acquisition is far more possible with modern Nintendo than it would have been under Yamauchi.

nampad

Hope we see some decent gaming effort from Apple soon. I don't mean a real competitor when I say decent though.

I just hope for a more thoroughly and standardized controller support on their devices for an acceptable price. Those MFI controllers are way too expensive and the way games handle the support of the controllers could be better implemented on the OS side.
An AppleTV with game support would be also nice. Throw in 3-4 interesting exclusive games (once again, not talking about AAA efforts) and I would get the AppleTV.

I doubt the update to the Apple TV is going to be that "huge," especially if it's just an Apple TV with faster processor and (if the gaming rumor is true) the ability to play games.

I assumed they would update it at their last big press conference but it didn't happen. At this point I think it will just get a small to medium size announcement, like they do when they just update the internals of their Macs.

An Apple TV running an actual version of iOS, rather than the stripped down variant thing it has now, with the ability to run apps would be a big deal. I don't see them just tossing it out there and saying, "Oh, hey, now you guys can make apps and games to use on your TV".

Remark

Banned
Yeah lets just kill consoles and bow to our mobile overlords *throws up in his mouth*
You say that mobile taking over already doe.

Niggas so quick to discredit mobile gaming. Outside of most freenium games mobile gaming aint that bad tbh. I wouldn't see it as a competitor to console gaming yet but for on-the-go it's great replacement for your traditional handheld.

Nzyme32

Hey tech/Apple/games fans. Prepare your Twitter b-holes for Friday. It's going to be a bloodbath.

Probably a whole lot of nothing. Also "games fans" does not have to be videogame related

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I hope Apple never gets into gaming. They are a parasite and their business model consists of nothing more than trying to get a piece of everyone's pie through their shitty, locked hardware. They would force you to buy ridiculously expensive flash memory to have a usable product and then rape devs out of 30% for every sale made. This is not good for anyone.

I hope Apple never gets into gaming. They are a parasite and their business model consists of nothing more than trying to get a piece of everyone's pie through their shitty, locked hardware. They would force you to buy ridiculously expensive flash memory to have a usable product and then rape devs out of 30% for every sale made. This is not good for anyone.

They're already into gaming. And the iOS marketplace has already changed the world of gaming and game design irrevocably.

SURGEdude

They would force you to buy ridiculously expensive flash memory to have a usable product and then rape devs out of 30% for every sale made. This is not good for anyone.

Agreed on the first part about memory, but the 30% split is pretty standard these days.

apple tears are extremely hilarious

Apple will very likely have an event for the Apple Watch in the next six weeks or so. They're going to save any new hardware or big software releases for that.

If it's end of the week, makes me think it's something being dumped.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
1. This has nothing to do with Apple as a company.
2. What kind of announcements do companies make on a Friday?
3. "Bloodbath"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom