• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Apple-related gaming announcement on Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekim

From the sound of the tweet it's something big. Which makes me think that Apple buys something gaming related.

Guevara

Before Beats, Apple didn't really make large (>$1B) acquisitions. I still don't really see them making a large buy in the gaming space, I mean: why bother?

the thing is Apple doesn't announce acquisitions, if the news break through the media or where ever they have their usual "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plan” response.

The exception was Beats which broke on May 8th and was announced by Apple on May 28th. This was likely due to the size of the acquisition.

Could just be a company making some exclusive for iOS, but I don't see why you'd announce that on a Friday.

Abounder

Banned
Before Beats, Apple didn't really make large (>$1B) acquisitions. I still don't really see them making a large buy in the gaming space, I mean: why bother?

Yea it would only make sense if they got IPs and wanted to diversify into a diet version of Warner Bros. (movies, games, action figures, etc). Like what we've seen with Nintendo and Amiibo- there's untapped potential for such franchises.

Apple are trying to differentiate iOS as much as possible from Android, Windows etc. Gaming on mobile is big business.
Maybe they saw MS snap up Minecraft and felt they needed to make a move themselves.

They are sitting on $150B and it's only going to increase for the foreseeable future. They don't know what to do with it. Might as well invest in comapnies that can help differentiate iOS or their MacBook line.

The Apple Tv will have a controller and will be able to play games? Not that amazing since Google, Amazon and the likes all have those kind of machines.

While they have similar devices, they don't have what really matters, the iOS App ecosystem and it's wildly profitable games business. A new Apple TV is overdue, I'd like to see it announced soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

so this guy writes for TUAW and had a piece on USA Today 3 years ago.

My guess:

tumblr_mblqgg3mUy1rhdbxio1_500.jpg

AmyS

If anything Apple probably has something that's somewhat better than Amazon FireTV.

It would likely have a decent GPU (maybe ImgTec's PowerVR Wizard GPU which is Series 6 with ray tracing hardware but probably isn't all that impressive) and will aim at casual gamers that may have had 360 / Wii / Wii U but haven't bought a PS4 or Xbox One.

Na, they probably have something that GAF will laugh & joke about.

My guess would be (if it's anything) that it's a crappy controller for a new model of the Apple TV so you can play some obscure subset of iOS games on your TV. Don't get your b-holes too excited.

so this guy writes for TUAW and had a piece on USA Today 3 years ago.

My guess:

tumblr_mblqgg3mUy1rhdbxio1_500.jpg

Yeah basically. But *maaaaaybe* an acquisition or a fully third-party announcement.

Any sort of internal-to-Apple leak isn't gonna happen through this guy, it's gonna happen through Mark Gurman.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
As long as any Apple announcement does not have Steve Jobs (unlikely now, I know) or Tim Cook using the word 'innovation', I'll be quite happy - even if it is about the Pippin ][.

I personally believe Apple should buy Sega. I see their two ecosystems really coming together and Sega filling in the parts that Apple lacks (gaming, arcade, quarterly losses, historic franchises, untapped potential, mascots, shame)

Abounder

Banned
I feel like if there was something big then someone more reputable would be talking about it.

True, but I think Apple is notorious for its blacklist as well. In other words if you try and leak something, then forget about future invites to Apple announcements. But this is probably nothing

2SeeKU

Isn't it about time for an AppleTV update? It was rumoured earlier the aTV would be have the app store (hence games) and be a HomeKit hub.

ThatGuy

I only could see that Apple aquires a middleware/game engine company (Unity,Crytek,RAD Gametools,...) and offers the Engine for free to developers of their platform. There were also rumors not long ago that Unity is looking for a buyer.

SMattera

Well, at some point they're going to release an Apple TV with support for iOS games. I suppose it could be that, though if the Apple TV is getting a radical overhaul, they'd send out media invites and do an event. They could just upgrade the firmware on the current 3rd generation TV, but it's only rocking an A5 chip. That's good enough for most iOS games, but most iOS games were not designed for the TV.

iOS devices could be getting PS Now. Or maybe the long-rumored EA streaming service? EA does seem to have a good relationship with Apple.

Apple could've bought a game developer. They've never really made content, but taking over the living room (displacing Xbox, preventing Android gaming from taking off) will likely require some exclusive content.

mechphree

What if Apple came out with their own dedicated gaming handheld? Lets ignore the "iPhone is that already " comments. I think it'd be huge for gaming.

SMattera

What if Apple came out with their own dedicated gaming handheld? Lets ignore the "iPhone is that already " comments. I think it'd be huge for gaming.

Let's not.

Not the iPhone so much, but the iPad: Something like two-thirds of the time spent using the iPad is spent gaming. I haven't seen recent numbers, but there was data a year or two ago that pegged the percentage of app revenue at about 70% coming from games. I'd bet it's probably closer to 90% today.

What are the benefits to a dedicated handheld over a tablet? There are literally none except hardware controls.

And Apple could release a controller for the iPhone/iPad. The inclusion of MFi support didn't really take off -- the controllers released so far have been pretty bad. An actual Apple-branded controller supported in Apple stores and pitched in Apple ads could actually see some meaningful adoption.

mechphree

Let's not.

Not the iPhone so much, but the iPad: Something like two-thirds of the time spent using the iPad is spent gaming. I haven't seen recent numbers, but there was data a year or two ago that pegged the percentage of app revenue at about 70% coming from games. I'd bet it's probably closer to 90% today.

What are the benefits to a dedicated handheld over a tablet? There are literally none except hardware controls.

And Apple could release a controller for the iPhone/iPad. The inclusion of MFi support didn't really take off -- the controllers released so far have been pretty bad. An actual Apple-branded controller supported in Apple stores and pitched in Apple ads could actually see some meaningful adoption.

I own an IPad, and one of its down sides is its controls. Apple releasing a dedicated hand held might peek my interest if it came with buttons and good specs. I'm already invested in the App Store so it'd be something that I'd consider purchasing. Only thing would be price really. They couldn't expect gamers to drop $600 or $700 on a hand held of course.

It's also just not buttons that are a benefit over tablets. Portability is a benefit along with more games could be designed to take advantage of those buttons. Apple coming out with a dedicated gaming device that only does gaming with Internet connect ability would put Sony and Nintendo on notice.

ekim

A new iPad Touch is overdue - maybe they are releasing one with physical buttons and sell it as a handheld device?! Who knows.

Rootbeer

Banned
convinced it will be nothing. just like every other time there are rumors about apple doing anything interesting in the world of gaming.

One thing is for sure, they would dominate if they put the effort in.

chadskin

Apple will release its earnings report of the monster holiday quarter today and will hold a Q&A with investors afterwards. Maybe they'll drop a hint what, if anything, this alleged announcement could be.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
A new iPad Touch is overdue - maybe they are releasing one with physical buttons and sell it as a handheld device?! Who knows.
There's so many incorrect things about this post. lol

But if I had to translate it, you probably meant:

You said:
The iPod touch is old and outdated. Maybe they're re-designing it as a handheld console with a D-Pad, control sticks and some face buttons and triggers and will rerelease it as a competitor to the 3DS and Vita.

To which I reply, "Ha. Probably not."

Nothing on the most "reputable" apple sites like macrumors and 9to5mac. Nothing on the "less than reputable" sites like tuaw and appleinsider and bgr. I think this will amount to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom