• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Fifa 18 partnership goes to Sony?

Finaj

Stupid of MS, FIFA is huge.

Why the hell would MS let this go?
Fifa is Europe. Wtf.

I'm holding onto my conspiracy theory that MS just isn't giving Xbox the proper funding for stuff like this. If MS really wanted to outbid Sony, they could do so easily.

OR

Maybe MS has come to the conclusion that these 3rd party marketing deals aren't worth the amount they were paying.

Does Sony really need to pay for these any longer?

They're the undisputed market leader. Seems things should go there other way

how do we know cash is even changing hands here? im not so sure sony is paying EA anything.

i simply see it as sony creating tv ads, bundles and promos with PS4/FIFA branding on their dime.

WaterAstro

Did people forget?

L83sTQH.jpg

how do we know cash is even changing hands here? im not so sure sony is paying EA anything.

i simply see it as sony creating tv ads, bundles and promos with PS4/FIFA branding on their dime.

You're right.

With Sony the market leader by a huge margin, they really don't need to pay any publisher for shit. Which is a reason for these same dumb ass publishers not to ink exclusivity deals that only serve to make the market even more lopsided. A competitive market benefits publishers, developers, consumers. Short-sighted idiots.

Big get for sony if true.

Looks like rather then make a lot of noise in the face of Scorpio and switch (in Japan since sony has the western console market in the bag) rather they play it smart and continue to get big marketing deals that guarantee constant sales of their hardware to the eager masses.

It also allows them to get another holiday sales season in the bag, at least in the UK and Europe.

Maybe Microsoft believes since they will have the best version of multiplats they don't need 3rd party deals? Idk what's going on, but Microsoft should have saved plenty of money from this right? What are they going to use all that saved up money for?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Sony has been locking up third party marketing rights left and right for a while now, it's really pretty insane. They've got all the big IPs on their side.

So either their E3 conference is full of third party stuff only, three hours long or they will disappoint their marketing partners. Guess I won't be staying up until 3 in the morning just to watch it.

oSoLucky

You're right.

With Sony the market leader by a huge margin, they really don't need to pay any publisher for shit. Which is a reason for these same dumb ass publishers not to ink exclusivity deals that only serve to make the market even more lopsided. A competitive market benefits publishers, developers, consumers. Short-sighted idiots.

Sales parity doesn't have shit to do with competition. The market is competitive right now, especially after the Xbox One S but the PS is the more attractive product to consumers. Competition IS good, as you can see how Sony and MS have made so many changes for the better due to it. Why should you care that the market is lopsided? Have fun playing whatever has all the games you want and don't worry about brands.

Yjynx

Sales parity doesn't have shit to do with competition. The market is competitive right now, especially after the Xbox One S but the PS is the more attractive product to consumers. Competition IS good, as you can see how Sony and MS have made so many changes for the better due to it. Why should you care that the market is lopsided? Have fun playing whatever has all the games you want and don't worry about brands.
Actually all X1s momentum already died down this year Jan to April 2017 NPD

Bumhead

Banned
Maybe Microsoft believes since they will have the best version of multiplats they don't need 3rd party deals? Idk what's going on, but Microsoft should have saved plenty of money from this right? What are they going to use all that saved up money for?

This feels like a very counter intuitive theory.

If you're launching a new system and relying (to a very large degree) on third parties looking at their best to sell the message of that new system, surely you actively want those exclusive deals for the marketing and bundles?

Jack cw

The partnership with Sony is probably the reason why the Switch version is not named Fifa2018.

But I can see that EA regrets this deal in the future, Fifa on Switch has the potential to be very big.

Just as big as it was on Wii, 3DS and Vita.
FIFA is by far most played on PlayStation consoles, that is where the target audience is, so the deal (if true) is only logical.

EDIT:
And it's pretty silly to think that Sony dictates EA how to name a game for a competitors system as well as demanding for it to be a legacy version.
That is only EA's decision and we all know what they think of Nintendo.

I just cant imagine a scenario in which Microsoft would just give up the FIFA marketing rights.

They're already getting a sales beating in their home town and the UK and Europe thrive on sales of the annual FIFA games.

Would be madness.

A Scorpio/FIFA bundle at launch (if Scorpio releases in September) could be very beneficial

Podge293

I just cant imagine a scenario in which Microsoft would just give up the FIFA marketing rights.

The deal expired, the overall Microsoft strategy no longer being to invest millions upon millions into third party marketing deals and Sony having spare cash around to snap it up.

That's a perfectly realistic scenario and wouldn't be surprised if it was the case.

Assuming the marketing deal has actually changed hands

gamz

The deal expired, the overall Microsoft strategy no longer being to invest millions upon millions into third party marketing deals and Sony having spare cash around to snap it up.

That's a perfectly realistic scenario and wouldn't be surprised if it was the case.

Agreed and Phil's tweet:

It's all just business. We have a long term vision for Xbox and we are building towards that. Marketing deals are great but not the strategy

I'm sure they've done the metric's and concluded that it's not worth the money or what not.

Agreed and Phil's tweet:

It's all just business. We have a long term vision for Xbox and we are building towards that. Marketing deals are great but not the strategy

I'm sure they've done the metric's and concluded that it's not worth the money or what not.

But how could Microsoft possibly beat Sonys strategy of both third party marketing AND investing heavily in first party ips?

Agreed and Phil's tweet:

MS still has several marketing deals though.

Assassin's Creed, Shadow of War, Madden, and another unannounced title that will be at E3.

This isn't either/or (meaning, they have to give up stuff like Fifa and CoD just to invest in first party). MS just isn't getting the biggest of third party deals period.

gamz

But how could Microsoft possibly beat Sonys strategy of both third party marketing AND investing heavily in first party ips?

By offering a better experience and first party IP's.

Xbox Live has never been better. But I agree they have to knock out of the park with games at E3.

Bgamer90

Banned
At this point of the gen I personally feel it would be smarter for Microsoft to market new AAA third party IPs instead of game series that have existed for a long time that we know are going to sell well on both Xbox and PlayStation thanks to their popularity and long history.

Xbox is known as a platform to play multiple popular third party franchises. Marketing new third party AAA IPs would cause those games to have far more Xbox brand association than series that have existed since last gen or longer at this point.

Since when? They still have big co-marketing deals (see: Madden, Shadow of War and almost certainly Assassin's Creed), so I think you're assuming a bit much there.

I'm really not sure why so many people are baffled by this, especially after the CoD co-marketing rights changed hands. The Xbox division doesn't have an unlimited budget and the PS4 is the dominant platform, so the idea Microsoft let anything happen is ridiculous. If Sony outbid them then what are they meant to do? Keep piling more and more money on? And that's before you take into account how attractive the PS4 install base and sales in FIFA's key markets would be to EA. They'll make a hell of a lot more money with FIFA PS4 bundles than FIFA Xbone bundles.

Agreed and Phil's tweet:

Agreed

The Wii sold 100 mil+ without any marketing deals (more than the 360 and PS3), the Switch is doing great without them also

meirl

Banned
Agreed and Phil's tweet:

100% agree. They are a waste of money.. they should spent that money on games.

They're already getting a sales beating in their home town and the UK and Europe thrive on sales of the annual FIFA games.

Would be madness.

A Scorpio/FIFA bundle at launch (if Scorpio releases in September) could be very beneficial
Everyone knows FIFA is on every platform under the sun (or coming soon in Switch's case). If I was a platform holder I'd want to be marketing the differentiators and not just the 'me too'.

Everyone saying "I'm surprised MS let this one go" do realise that although Microsoft are an enormous and incredibly rich company that doesn't just give the Xbox division blank cheques, right?!

Agreed and Phil's tweet:

Translation:

we are running out of companies stupid enough to make a marketing deal with losing console and those who still do want too much cash.

gamz

Everyone saying "I'm surprised MS let this one go" do realise that although Microsoft are an enormous and incredibly rich company that doesn't just give the Xbox division blank cheques, right?!

Regardless, if the money was worth it they'd obviously do it.

They have all the stats and metrics on hand to answer that question.

Why the hell would MS let this go?
Fifa is Europe. Wtf.

just like they let got the CoD partnership with Activision
just like they did not sign the Destiny partnership with Bungie

the benefit of deals like this have to outweight the costs.
if it doesn't you don't do it

simple as that

meirl

Banned
Translation:

we are running out of companies stupid enough to make a marketing deal with losing console and those who still do want too much cash.

Lol Publishers dont give a shit about winning/losing. Its Not a console war Buddy. They only Care about Money. Thats it.

Bgamer90

Banned
Translation:

Why would they be "stupid"?

If anything it's a given that these franchises that have existed for many years are going to sell well on PlayStation regardless thanks to the PS4's worldwide lead over the Xbox One.

The $mart thing would be to go with the company that is offering more for the marketing deal (whether MS or Sony).

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Assassin's Creed, Shadow of War, Madden, and another unannounced title that will be at E3.

This isn't either/or (meaning, they have to give up stuff like Fifa and CoD just to invest in first party). MS just isn't getting the biggest of third party deals period.

Pretty sure AC IS the unannounced game for E3. We all know about it but it hasn't actually been announced yet.

Podge293

Since when? They still have big co-marketing deals (see: Madden, Shadow of War and almost certainly Assassin's Creed), so I think you're assuming a bit much there.

I'm really not sure why so many people are baffled by this, especially after the CoD co-marketing rights changed hands. The Xbox division doesn't have an unlimited budget and the PS4 is the dominant platform, so the idea Microsoft let anything happen is ridiculous. If Sony outbid them then what are they meant to do? Keep piling more and more money on? And that's before you take into account how attractive the PS4 install base and sales in FIFA's key markets would be to EA. They'll make a hell of a lot more money with FIFA PS4 bundles than FIFA Xbone bundles.

The old deals could be still under agreement so could be before strategy change. And maybe shadow of war wasn't expensive?

I was just giving the person a reasonable situation which may have occured

Top Bottom