• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Fifa 18 partnership goes to Sony?

Kayant

If marketing deals are as important as some of you claim, why didn't the FIFA marketing deal MS had before do jack shit for the Xbox?
I mean there is pretty of examples that show it can be effective(i.e GTA V PS3, Destiny, COD this is all US btw)

I don't know the exact numbers but if you look at charts these days for example the UK ones XB1 verison tends to be the one ahead.
wrong

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1288136

01 (NE) PS4 FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 (NE) XBO FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?t=1117787

01 (NE) PS4 FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 (NE) XBO FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=903389

01 (NE) PS4 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 (NE) 360 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
03 (NE) XBO FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
04 (NE) PS3 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

2013 360 was on top but that was before the release of next gen consoles
That's only at launch though for example look the the past four weeks the XB1 verison has been ahead and from memory this is usually the case.

wapplew

More like Xbox exclusive marketing right ended I think.
Still, doesn't mean much since I don't play FUT and choose PES last year.

(duh) MS saw that is had 0 effect for the money that was spent getting gaming public to buy xbox's in the EU so they give up Sony picking up what is there for "free"

Chris1

That's only at launch though for example look the the past four weeks the XB1 verison has been ahead and from memory this is usually the case.

Maybe look at more than week 1, ok?

Ok I don't think the monthly/yearly charts has it in sales order by console.. But do you have LTD for FIFA's per console? Because otherwise I don't think you can definitively say XB1 > PS4 for FIFA based on a week in May (or whenever you are talking about) when it probably sold like 5k in total, but brushing off the first few launch weeks where most sales happen and PS4 > XB1.

Splits for all FIFAs this gen (week 1 except PS4 FIFA 14), as you can see, the PS4 is quite a bit ahead every year except FIFA 14 where the game was available before the PS4, and the UK came prebundled with the XB1 at launch and was the only region/console to get a free game with next gen console (almost every console @ XB1 launch came with a free FIFA while PS4 had nothing). I only looked up FIFA 17 but the following few weeks of launch PS4 was ahead aswell, by the time XB1 got ahead you're probably talking like 10-20k sales each console and maybe a difference of 1-2k. Not really enough to make up the huge difference if you ask me..

[Week 47, 2013] 13 (NE) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) ~ 20,000 / NEW (It was available one week before PlayStation 4 was released)
[Week 39, 2014] 01 (NE) PS4 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 323,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2015] 01 (NE) PS4 FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 423,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2016] 01 (NE) PS4 FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 587,000 / NEW

[Week 47, 2013] 01 (NE) XBO FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 113,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2014] 03 (NE) XBO FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 222,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2015] 02 (NE) XBO FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 338,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2016] 02 (NE) XBO FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 443,000 / NEW

Bruno will probably have better figures for over a longer period of time, I'll ask him now if he has any. But I really can't see XB1>ps4.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=238178979#post238178979

I have asked him here if you want to take the convo there as this isn't really the thread for it

opricnik

Banned
Seems like everyone is jumping on board with Sony right now.

Fifa (if this is true)
Call of Duty,
Red Dead Redemption 2,
Star Wars Battlefront 2,
Destiny 2,
Lawbreakers,
Far Cry 5,

Sony seem to have most of the big 3rd party games on board, seems like the total reverse of last gen, when it was always 360 that got most of the deals.
Not even same last gen 360 had more but ps3 had a lot too.Asssasins creed,Fifa,battlefield,rdr etc was on ps3,also all fighting games etc,remember kratos in mk9 or cole in sfxtekken.

360 had shooters and gta dlc,some ubisoft games etc

Osukaa

yall-got-anymore-yall-got-anymore-of-them-2017-sony-marketing-deals-.jpg

dead

Doffen

Wasn't FIFA and BF always with Microsoft since the start of this gen?

FIFA had marketing partnership with Xbox since 2013. Before that, PlayStation.
Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 1 had marketing partnership with Xbox, Battlefield Hardline had partnership with PlayStation.

FIFA had marketing partnership with Xbox since 2013. Before that, PlayStation.
Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 1 had marketing partnership with Xbox, Battlefield Hardline had partnership with PlayStation.

That's right, weird. What's caused the sudden jump from one ship to another? With Scorpio related talk that's going to happen at E3 for MS, I was expecting the other way around, no?

That's right, weird. What's caused the sudden jump from one ship to another? With Scorpio related talk that's going to happen at E3 for MS, I was expecting the other way around, no?

I would assume the contract is coming to its end and Sony outbid MS. Not hard to believe when Sony has been making money hand over fist with the PS4 and so probably have a much larger marketing budget to play with as well.

So the ex community manager for FIFA was just talking about this on his stream, said that PS is the new marketing console for FIFA 18 but couldn't talk about it anymore.

mejin

I would assume the contract is coming to its end and Sony outbid MS. Not hard to believe when Sony has been making money hand over fist with the PS4 and so probably have a much larger marketing budget to play with as well.

I don't think it's only about money, but mind share.

Its better for EA to have PS4 as the new market console for Fifa since its brand is far more recognized and worlwide accepted than Xbox. And so several of publishers/developers are doing the same thing.

Kayant

Ok I don't think the monthly/yearly charts has it in sales order by console.. But do you have LTD for FIFA's per console? Because otherwise I don't think you can definitively say XB1 > PS4 for FIFA based on a week in May (or whenever you are talking about) when it probably sold like 5k in total, but brushing off the first few launch weeks where most sales happen and PS4 > XB1.

Splits for all FIFAs this gen (week 1 except PS4 FIFA 14), as you can see, the PS4 is quite a bit ahead every year except FIFA 14 where the game was available before the PS4, and the UK came prebundled with the XB1 at launch and was the only region/console to get a free game with next gen console (almost every console @ XB1 launch came with a free FIFA while PS4 had nothing). I only looked up FIFA 17 but the following few weeks of launch PS4 was ahead aswell, by the time XB1 got ahead you're probably talking like 10-20k sales each console and maybe a difference of 1-2k. Not really enough to make up the huge difference if you ask me..

[Week 47, 2013] 13 (NE) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) ~ 20,000 / NEW (It was available one week before PlayStation 4 was released)
[Week 39, 2014] 01 (NE) PS4 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 323,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2015] 01 (NE) PS4 FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 423,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2016] 01 (NE) PS4 FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 587,000 / NEW

[Week 47, 2013] 01 (NE) XBO FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 113,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2014] 03 (NE) XBO FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 222,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2015] 02 (NE) XBO FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 338,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2016] 02 (NE) XBO FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 443,000 / NEW

Bruno will probably have better figures for over a longer period of time, I'll ask him now if he has any. But I really can't see XB1>ps4.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=238178979#post238178979

I have asked him here if you want to take the convo there as this isn't really the thread for it
Yh one more comment to finish off.

Yh LTD am not sure about but with the FUT stuff/marketing is the likely contributing factor to the XB1 verison being ahead week on week majority of the time(Ofc being UK charts the difference is often small). I would bet if reverse had been true(In terms of marketing/FUT stuff) the gap would be bigger in terms of LTD and likely PS verison being ahead more weekly.

Chris1

Yh one more comment to finish off.

Yh LTD am not sure about but with the FUT stuff/marketing is the likely contributing factor to the XB1 verison being ahead week on week majority of the time(Ofc being UK charts the difference is often small). I would bet if reverse had been true(In terms of marketing/FUT stuff) the gap would be bigger in terms of LTD and likely PS verison being ahead more weekly.

Don't get me wrong I think the Legends deal helped Xbox a decent amount but I just can't imagine PS4 being behind XB1. It might take over someweeks but in the end PS4 should be ahead like every other game, just not by as much.

This is what bruno said btw
I can't provide the lifetime sales split for FIFA 17, but by looking at weekly charts the PlayStation 4 version holds the advantage thanks to its first month sales and December sales. The Xbox One version has been the best selling sku since March but the actual units sales are so slow that it would need a very long time maintaining the current pace to catch the PlayStation 4 version. That won't happen because FIFA 18 will be released in just 4 months.

And yes, that is the default order.

Bruno knows the pal charts like the back of his hands, if he thinks PS4 is ahead he's most likely on the money

Does Sony really need to pay for these any longer?

They're the undisputed market leader. Seems things should go there other way

LegoArmo

Worldwide, I think FIFA 17 sold roughly 2.5 to 3 times as much on PS4*. So while this deal would be great for Sony in the UK and US, it shouldn't make a huge difference overall.

*sales figures inferred from this list, with​ the PS4 version being the highest selling single game of the year, and the XB1 version not making the list at all. Unsure if it includes bundles.

Floody

Big loss for MS if so, the bundle always does really well in the UK. Probably a big reason the PS4 isn't miles ahead, like it is in the rest of Europe.

Also, I doubt MS would've dropped it, far more likely their deal would have just expired and Sony outbidded them for the new deal.

samar11

Why would they it would take Xbox one/Scorpio to sell at record levels and ps4/pro to almost stop selling for the gap to be closed anytime soon. This gen is almost a write off for ms with regards winning it's about setting themselves up for next gen with a good run with Scorpio now.

Every gen is going to be a write off for MS unless Sony fucks up big time like they did with ps3 lol

inky

Not surprised, Xbox has been doing jack shit with third party marketing as of late.

Didn't they just recently do the Rashford/Willian/Castro ad with them?

I mean, I don't care either way, but it's hard to think Xbox letting go of that EA partnership.

oSoLucky

Sony paid more. Or were the only one paying =P

But that does explain the generic soccer name for switch

The generic name is probably because it's going to be like the Vita version, aka an old ass game with new rosters. There was/is almost no chance of FIFA ever being associated with Nintendo no matter what else happens.

Kayant

Does Sony really need to pay for these any longer?

They're the undisputed market leader. Seems things should go there other way
Of course they do who else is doing the marketing?

It's a co-marketing partnership so they are going to offer something in return for what they want.

pixelation

Why not Nintendo? You'd think they would want to advertise the portability

Thanks to all of the Nintendo Switch "love" that you guys keep spreading in each and every thread that you possibly can, it just makes me want it less and less every single time... it's annoying as all hell and now i don't even think i'll ever buy one.

Thanks to all of the Nintendo Switch "love" that you guys keep spreading in each and every thread that you possibly can, it just makes me want it less and less every single time... it's annoying as all hell and now i don't even think i'll ever buy one.

Flawless logic there.

Usobuko

Banned
It just make sense to partner a football game with Sony given its success in Europe.

Neither are a stronghold for Microsoft or Nintendo consoles.

hydruxo

Sony has been locking up third party marketing rights left and right for a while now, it's really pretty insane. They've got all the big IPs on their side.

Top Bottom