• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Fifa 18 partnership goes to Sony?

AudioEppa

Microsoft will be doing their marketing through Digital Foundry face off articles going forward.

kvWq5.gif

Raide

Sony are throwing around huge amounts of cash for marketing. Really hard to ignore how dominant Sony have become.

Now MS just have to do their best in their own marketing to show they have the best third party titles. Interesting to see how it all shakes out.

madmackem

Losing that FUT Legends deal on xbox will be a big loss. Seems like everyone is jumping ship. I wonder of it will swing back the other way after Scorpio is out and we know how the land lies with adoption rates.

So I wonder if Sony still think EA Access isn't value for me.
Why would they it would take Xbox one/Scorpio to sell at record levels and ps4/pro to almost stop selling for the gap to be closed anytime soon. This gen is almost a write off for ms with regards winning it's about setting themselves up for next gen with a good run with Scorpio now.

Unknown?

Sure, they do it now that they are leading.

A better comparisson would be with last gen's Sony, when they were in third place.

Back then, Microsoft had almost all third party marketing deals.

Sony did what Microsoft is doing now. Focused on building a strong 1P line up.

Sony is still doing what they did then, focused on building a strong 1st party line up.

Daffy Duck

I don't think the marketing deal matters anymore with us being several years into the generation already. The FIFA fans already decided on which platform they are playing and new buyers will get the platform their friends have.

In Europe, Fifa on PS4 was probably dominating Fifa on Xbox anyway.

I would think the lure of legends in the largest market for football was a very large win for xbox.

Why would they it would take Xbox one/Scorpio to sell at record levels and ps4/pro to almost stop selling for the gap to be closed anytime soon. This gen is almost a write off for ms with regards winning it's about setting themselves up for next gen with a good run with Scorpio now.

That's why I said when it's all out and we see how sales are going for MS in the future.

pitchfork

Because the Switch is at less than 5 million units sold and the PS4, the biggest console in Europe (main market for the game), is at +40, basically.

Oh and because the Switch isn't getting FIFA 18, too.

I can't tell what's sarcasm or not anymore with the Switchers.

What about the marketing deal with Shadow of Mordor? As an "Xbox gamer" surely you are aware of it?

And? Never said they are giving up on marketing deals, but focusing less and putting the money into the platform and service seems like the bigger priority, which I would much rather see them do. Really don't understand why people wouldn't rather see this so long as the game is still coming to their platform of choice?

And? Never said they are giving up on marketing deals, but focusing less and putting the money into the platform and service seems like the bigger priority, which I would much rather see them do. Really don't understand why people wouldn't rather see this so long as the game is still coming to their platform of choice?

How do you know that is where they are putting this money, as opposed to just shifting it over to another co marketing deal with another third party multi platform game (like Mordor)?

Great catch for Sony if true. While the in-game benefits of MS's partnership are minimal, it's association has definitely made it the default platform to play in the last few years.

Not really. Maybe in the U.K. and the US but otherwise football is a PlayStation thing.

pitchfork

How do you know that is where they are putting this money, as opposed to just shifting it over to another co marketing deal with another third party multi platform game (like Mordor)?

I don't? but i'd like to think that less money going into third party marketing would hopefully mean more money going into platform, service and first party. I fail to see how anyone who plays on Xbox wouldn't want this

Xando

Would make sense since EA probably can make a whole lot of more money if they sell legends on PS4(tbh i don't understand why they don't have them on both consoles) considering the state of things in europe.

Even though i really don't care all that much for these marketing campaigns, except for the fact that i'd like to see some games running on Scorpio, i just wonder what is going on. Why especially this year does it seem MS is missing out on lots of marketing deals and Sony is grabbing almost all of them. It's something i don't understand when they have Scorpio underway and having been more or less promising to improve their first party efforts and gaming in general. Why does it seem much worse this year than previous years?

pitchfork

Even though i really don't care all that much for these marketing campaigns, except for the fact that i'd like to see some games running on Scorpio, i just wonder what is going on. Why especially this year does it seem MS is missing out on lots of marketing deals and Sony is grabbing almost all of them. It's something i don't understand when they have Scorpio underway and having been more or less promising to improve their first party efforts and gaming in general. Why does it seem much worse this year than previous years?

maybe there's your answer

KORNdoggy

seems to me contracts have probably expired that were signed back when these publishers had some belief xbox one was going to be market leader (an assumption based on the 360's success). things didn't turn out that way. i'd imagine EA have been regretting the MS partnership for a good while now. no-one wants to be backing the losing horse after all.

BigEmil

I want less people playing FIFA on PlayStation there's better games to play instead. Annoying all my friends just mainly play FIFA 24/7

Market share is probably the biggest factor. Scorpio means little in the grand scheme of things.

Xando

I guess a lot of marketing partnership contracts were signed when MS and Sony were still kinda head to head and now run out. It makes sense for third party pubs to try and market their games for the market leader. Especially since Sony runs a lot more ads than MS in smaller markets (Atleast from my PoV in germany and spain).

I don't think MS is willing to pay the money they'd have to pay for pubs.

Aceofspades

Banned
I imagine EA saw that majority of FIFA sales are on PS4 giving Sonys dominance in EU and WW. Only logical they go with the most popular console.

timberger

That'd be very surprising. I mean, I know EA makes most of their cash on PS4 with these games and all, but MS has had all the EA sports shit wrapped up tight all gen so far, so it'd be kind of shocking if this happened.

I don't? but i'd like to think that less money going into third party marketing would hopefully mean more money going into platform, service and first party. I fail to see how anyone who plays on Xbox wouldn't want this

Because it's based on a complete hypothetical that likely isn't accurate. Marketing departments and budgets are likely set far in advance for a company like Ms and if that money isn't going to FIFA, it's going to some other type of marketing.

MadMod

Hopefully the legends come to PlayStation. Really annoying not being able to get them, or at least something of a similar matter. Just make it mean something. Wouldn't care if legends were on BOTH consoles at all.

Fifa is the biggest game in Europe for casual gamers, so this is a pretty big deal. But on the other hand, I don't think that any of those gamers knew that the Xbox version had some extras.

I don't think that Sony is paying money for the partnership, it's probably just a marketing agreement where Sony is going to market the shit out of Fifa, including Fifa bundles.
That said, there were always PS4 Fifa bundles from almost any game store in Belgium, it's just not an official one.

jayu26

At some point these deals stop making sense. Destiny 2 and CoD partnership makes sense. Those games are big in US. Fifa Xbox partnership did not change the fact that PS4 version was still better seller, and that is because Xbox is such a non factor in the main land Europe. Although Fifa is one the biggest video game franchises in the world, I feel that money for this should be going to going to another partnership.

Nope.

It's a mix between Sony offering more money/MS not offering enough and Sony having bigger marketshare.

Maybe investing in first party, like everybody shouts them to do?

Man it kills me when you guys speak in absolutes, shit is remarkable how you can make these statements as if you're privy to information.

IT'S EASY TO STAY QUIET, WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW!!!

jaypah

This seems like a weird thing for Sony to spend money on. They've had their foot on MS neck without this deal and I'm sure the PS4 version was vastly outselling the XB1 version. I guess it could be about taking another feather out of MS' cap but unless it was cheap I don't get it. But, hey, they clearly know what they're doing so I guess the numbers made sense.

Probably too early to tell, but -if true- that reported $400m "all encompassing unprecedented partnership deal" only got them 4 years.

Fully expecting the Madden one to go on though.

Microsoft promotes the Surface with the NFL, so Madden marketing staying with MS is expected.

pitchfork

Because it's based on a complete hypothetical that likely isn't accurate. Marketing departments and budgets are likely set far in advance for a company like Ms and if that money isn't going to FIFA, it's going to some other type of marketing.

Again, I have no idea what goes on in regards to these decisions, but I do get the impression that its something Phil Spencer isnt too concerned with in regards to investments

Edit : From Phil's Twitter https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/867047950639288320
It's all just business. We have a long term vision for Xbox and we are building towards that. Marketing deals are great but not the strategy

bombshell

Again, I have no idea what goes on in regards to these decisions, but I do get the impression that its something Phil Spencer isnt too concerned with in regards to investments

Would you really expect him to say anything else?

Fact is that now with possible FIFA deal gone, they have not been able to secure marketing for what would be the expected 5 biggest selling holiday games this year (before Red Dead was delayed).

A Phil Spencer tweet saying those deals are suddenly not part of their strategy is laughable.

Would you really expect him to say anything else?

Fact is that now with possible FIFA deal gone, they have not been able to secure marketing for what would be the expected 5 biggest selling holiday games this year (before Red Dead was delayed).

A Phil Spencer tweet saying those deals are suddenly not part of their strategy is laughable.

Yeah, i like Phil but hes completely wrong on this one. Marketing deals were a huge part of the 360s success even when the 3 red lights fiasco was going on. No matter how broken the console was at launch, it still made it "the place to play".

Now their launching a new more powerful console, how great would it have been to have exclusive content for the games on top of that? I mean does he literally expect digital foundry to do all the work for them?

Most people will play the game on the platform that has the marketing deals. Thats just reality. I mean Bungie, a fucking MS studio for over a decade, isnt prioritizing a MS console anymore. How is this good for MS?

This is a ridiculously stupid stance to take. Marketing deals are not only needed, they are a necessity.

Kayant

That's a standard PR answer(Only need to look at things like sales numbers not being a focus or measure of success until XB1S success in NPD where they changed their stance and even made an ad because they had won several months in a row), in the likelyhood they could get some of these deals am willing to bet they would have pushed for it especially with a launch of a new console in fall. You want as many eyes on it.

It's not their strategy atm because it's harder for them to secure these deals.

sangreal

If marketing deals are as important as some of you claim, why didn't the FIFA marketing deal MS had before do jack shit for the Xbox?

I know MS will have Scorpio to market and deal with but Sony scoring the majority of marketing deals for the major titles, means Scorpio can't be pushed with those which could be Sonys plan to defend against that. I'm sure MS will be spending big on Scorpio that it'll be everywhere. Certainly the way they're hyping it.

I'm not sure there's much left for MS to market. AC seems to be the obvious one ( and at a time it's getting rebooted, which could be big or flop depending). Of course there's always E3 for some extra surprises but the major ones Sony have. I'm not even sure MS have many bonefide 1st party AAA hits this year either. There'll be no Gears and Halo. Sure there's Forza, Crackdown and Sea of Theives they'll be pushing but none feel like huge hits.

But FIFA marketing is big and a strong FIFA bundle this year will be big.

pitchfork

Yeah, i like Phil but hes completely wrong on this one. Marketing deals were a huge part of the 360s success even when the 3 red lights fiasco was going on. No matter how broken the console was at launch, it still made it "the place to play".

Now their launching a new more powerful console, how great would it have been to have exclusive content for the games on top of that? I mean does he literally expect digital foundry to do all the work for them?

Most people will play the game on the platform that has the marketing deals. Thats just reality. I mean Bungie, a fucking MS studio for over a decade, isnt prioritizing a MS console anymore. How is this good for MS?

This is a ridiculously stupid stance to take. Marketing deals are not only needed, they are a necessity.

Ok well look, I've never really given a shit about marketing deals so long as I get to play the game on my console of choice. I understand your pov from someone wanting the platform to be competitive and be successful, but honestly if there's a chance they can save some moolah and put it elsewhere like first party and service, then for me, that's a win

If marketing deals are as important as some of you claim, why didn't the FIFA marketing deal MS had before do jack shit for the Xbox?

FIFA is one game. PS4 literally has everything else. One game wont make a huge diff, but a few will help especially with a new console coming.

Right now the big games are Destiny2, COD as always and possibly battlefront2. They have no deals in any of those.

Marketing deals alone wont do everything, but now theyll also have the console and the power advantage. Marketing + power is absolutely a force to be reckoned with, and they have didlly squat on marketing deals.

Chris1

It made FIFA one of the very, very few games in the UK to sell better on Xbox One than PS4.

wrong

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1288136

01 (NE) PS4 FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 (NE) XBO FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?t=1117787

01 (NE) PS4 FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 (NE) XBO FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=903389

01 (NE) PS4 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 (NE) 360 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
03 (NE) XBO FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
04 (NE) PS3 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

2013 360 was on top but that was before the release of next gen consoles

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's always the same guy, check his post history

HeisenbergWW62 said:
The Switch is a life-changing revelation that I can honestly say didn't just change my outlook on gaming, but on life itself. Who would have ever thought of this concept, taking games on the go. I for one never even thought it was possible, but the beautiful men and women at Nintendo came up with this crazy concept and it's been an absolute home run

God bless Nintendo for giving us this device, god bless

This guy's post history is a treasure trove.

ViciousDS

Banned
that would be fucking massive.......dear heavens

They would have the Americas locked up due to CoD and Battlefront

Fifa is literally all you need for the rest of the world and Sony basically has rights exclusively (now that the switch is out I see more Jap devs treating it as the Vita and getting a lot more titles.) to the Japanese market.

Top Bottom