• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Half Life possible announcement at Gamescom?

M.W.

The gaming fair Gamescom has a companion app. In it you can see a list of exhibitors. In that list you can find Valve. Valve is not officially confirmed to be on the Gamescom yet. If you look at the exhibited brands you can see Half Life. That could be a mistake of course, but if not that would be pretty interesting.

Gamescom — Postimages

Screenshot_1.png

Yeah, probably not.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Hope you're all ready for Alyx 2 :)
Played 4 hours into that game.
What a snoozefest, really.

Yaaay, wheee, whoaaa... such immersion! And all you can do in it is clunkily handle weapons and other items that have 0 weight in your hand, moving around clunkily (try moving backwards, it's amazing) in "meh" linear levels that are basically one elaborate cutscene... Gee, awesome :messenger_confused:
I've had about 10x as much fun with Pistol Whip and Beat Saber... even Crisis Brigade 2 (and THAT game is jank, man, but in a lovable way).

Anyway, if there'd be a HL3, I'd wager it would be on the 20th, 25th or 30th birthday of HL2. And 20th would actually be 2024, so who knows.

Last edited:

BlueLyria

I'm going to bet on either absolutely nothing or Alyx on PSVR2 (I forgot who from Sony or Valve mentioned that they wanted that)

Fools idol

Banned
The big man already said he is done making new games. They don't have the desire to live up to impossible hype that HL3 would innevitably never meet

drezz

HL Alyx for PSVR2 and maybe even Quest 3?
Maybe they will show off "Deckard" and have it running standalone Alyx at almost the same specs as PSVR2... but wireless.

Really belive its something Alyx releated, but I rather have something new, like a L4D:VR or "Remake" of both L4D1-2 with a "unreleased" third installment... into 1 big game.
L4D1, 2 and 3... with VR support?
Play both with M&K and VR?

A guy can dream.. right?

it wont be HL2 ep3
Gabe is worried that game wont live up to expectations and then people will boycott his steam store, which is why the game was cancelled in the first place.

Admerer

At this point, is there any reason to release Half-life 3?
I don't think a game can be made that will live up to expectations people have.
Unless Gabe feels like he can deliver a revolutionary/unique gaming experience, which probably requires a special technological advancement in hardware/software to allow such a game, I wouldn't hold my breath.

We got Half-life: Alyx thanks to VR, so hopefully, maybe, future VR technologies and/or Ai advancements will allow a desire to release a Half-life sequel.

MrStauf

Banned
Well all the devs thats worked on HL alyx must have been working on something all these years.
Unless they have been sat around playing pool all day.

Hudo

I also don't think Valve will announce any of their shit on some gaming conferences. They gonna think up their own event. Be it digital only with the help of Steam or physical. And they might gonna do some ARG shit (I hope not but it's an effective marketing tool) leading up to an announcement.

StueyDuck

My bets on. Low level adjacent employees not understanding what they were doing and/or poor translation. Causing this to be a misrepresentation on what valve is actually doing there

Valve don’t need a conference, they can just drop stuff on YouTube and it makes waves in seconds.

Didn’t they shadow drop trailers for CS2 on YouTube?

That being said, I can’t see them doing Half Life 3. The hype would be too high and they’d never be able to meet them.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Hope you're all ready for Alyx 2 :)

I don’t know if you said that as some sort of low expectations and be prepared to be disappointment sort of way? But that would be the BEST.

Which going by Half Life Alyx ending … is HL 3

If Valve announce Deckard headset on top of that, best announcement ever.

FingerBang

I don’t know if you said that as some sort of low expectations and be prepared to be disappointment sort of way? But that would be the BEST.

Which going by Half Life Alyx ending … is HL 3

If Valve announce Deckard headset on top of that, best announcement ever.
I meant this as a joke since we know how Valve feels about the number 3. And yes, it'd be a huge disappointment for many.

That said, it wouldn't bother me. If that is the only way Valve thinks they can innovate software-wise, so be it

Orange Box remaster would be welcome, would most likely be missing Team Fortress 2 but replace it with Portal 2 and it becomes even better 👌

Smiggs

I'm not falling for this shit again, my heart can't take it any longer. Until I see Lord Gaben on stage showing it off, I'll continue to remove this from my mind.

Imagine thinking Valve would ever announce anything like this at Gamescom.

They would just announce it whenever they want online. This is now how Valve operates.

Top Bottom