• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Horizon: Zero Dawn delayed to early 2017

KZObsessed

So I looked at Zoetis' profile and:

1.) I don't see anything suggesting they work for Guerrilla.

2.) If they do work for Guerrilla, they have the most embarrassing posting record of any developer on the site and I'm including Dennis Dyack.

You must have missed chespace then.

Arnie

I'm confused about how this is "goodbye Shinobi."
His "leak" was super incredibly vague.
Some people were pretty much expecting it to be delayed to early 2017 already.

It's like someone saying "PD is going to work on a new Gran Turismo game" and going "aha!"
It would basically be more surprising if that wasn't the case. (Okay, the example isn't 1:1, but at the very least it should make sense.)

Unless he said some specific date like "March 21st", I don't exactly see how it's an issue.
Just because some people, with the benefit of hindsight, claim they believed the game would be delayed doesn't mean the same as a known source claiming that Sony's big holiday title for the fall is delayed past its concrete date.

Considering that the PS4 is yet to have a big exclusive release in Q4 it's quite a big thing.

If true it'll be incredibly disappointing. To be brutally honest its negligent at this stage for Sony not to be holding its worldwide studios to more structured milestones. They treat their release schedule like a fucking dartboard.

Just because some people, with the benefit of hindsight, claim they believed the game would be delayed doesn't mean the same as a known source claiming that Sony's big holiday title for the fall is delayed past its concrete date.

Considering that the PS4 is yet to have a big exclusive release in Q4 it's quite a big thing.

If true it'll be incredibly disappointing. To be brutally honest its negligent at this stage for Sony not to be holding its worldwide studios to more structured milestones. They treat their release schedule like a fucking dartboard.
What difference does it make for the consumer whether they come the end of the year or at the beginning of the year?

UC4 will be the biggest exclusive for the PS4 yet and it is releasing toward the middle of the year. Does that make it less big or important? Is it incredibly disappointing that it isn't coming during the fall/holidays?

Servbot24

Banned

Come on man... That is not how large scale game development works. At all.

Boke1879

What difference does it make for the consumer whether they come the end of the year or at the beginning of the year?

UC4 will be the biggest exclusive for the PS4 yet and it is releasing toward the middle of the year. Does that make it less big?

It doesn't at all. I'd almost suggest UC4 will get more sales releasing in May then they would in November.

Let Horizon release when it's ready. The PS4 is selling just fine and seriously we've gotten some great games in these early months of this year.

Sydle

I hope they don't change that. Sony's first party game portfolio is unique and I think that has a lot (everything?) to do with how they allow their first party studios to operate.

Arnie

Because most adults have more time to play games around the holiday period. For me personally I like games to come out around November as it means by the time December rolls around, when I have free time, they're cheaper.
Come on man... That is not how large scale game development works. At all.
You're right, but Sony as a publisher that requires continued first party support for their platform should either set clear milestones for studios to ensure delays don't continue to happen or keep release windows under wraps until everyone is sure of the date it will land.

This entire conversation is in the context of PS4's current record for first party software releases. I can't remember a console as poorly supported by the hardware manufacturer in key points of the year.

It's a credit to the machine that it's sold well and continues to perform superbly regardless of this.

UC4 will be the biggest exclusive for the PS4 yet and it is releasing toward the middle of the year. Does that make it less big?

Ultimately it makes the game better and is the best thing for the game.

But when a company announces games 18+ months ahead of launch and immediately puts up pre-orders at retailers and encourages people to put down their money early, they should be held accountable for the delays.

We don't need 18 months of hype for a game to get us excited, but publishers continue to announce early in an effort to one up each other and get you to commit your money for the fall of 2017 in June of 2016.

To me, that's the most frustrating part of these delays. Don't announce the date 18 months out anymore. If you want to show a trailer, fine...but don't put "2016" at the end of it. Wait until E3 2016 and announce the date there.

Arnie

But when a company announces games 18+ months ahead of launch and immediately puts up pre-orders at retailers and encourages people to put down their money early, they should be held accountable for the delays.

We don't need 18 months of hype for a game to get us excited, but publishers continue to announce early in an effort to one up each other and get you to commit your money for the fall of 2017 in June of 2016.

To me, that's the most frustrating part of these delays. Don't announce the date 18 months out anymore. If you want to show a trailer, fine...but don't put "2016" at the end of it. Wait until E3 2016 and announce the date there.
Another great point.

MMaRsu

Banned
Haha gtfo Sony..

Such a clueless company. When I have some cash Im looking into a good gaming pc to build instead.

I don't think it is always a case of intentionally doing that with games they know will not hit.

The targets can be on point and then something goes wrong during development. Someone thoroughly posted about it in this thread. With so many different people and factors in play, a single misstep can throw a wrench into what was going smoothly up to that point.

So, while I do agree that devs should try to announce when things are, more or less, guaranteed (tough for anything to be guaranteed in this industry), I do think we should keep into perspective just how insane game development is in general. Especially for a game of this scale. It isn't as if Sony is the only company going through this. It impacts a great deal of the industry.

Because most adults have more time to play games around the holiday period. For me personally I like games to come out around November as it means by the time December rolls around, when I have free time, they're cheaper.
Fair enough.

Either way, I don't think it matters in general when third party games are what people are buying these systems for anyway. So long as the first party content continues coming through the year, it is all good.

This entire conversation is in the context of PS4's current record for first party software releases. I can't remember a console as poorly supported by the hardware manufacturer in key points of the year.
Well, Sony wasn't exactly piling up the PS3 holiday window with exclusive releases either, no? I think it is just something that works best for their development cycles and expectations for their games.

Deadstar

Hope preorders go up soon for this thing. Can't wait to get a PS4k Horizon bundle. It might be too much to ask but PLEASE be a silent console. Nothing is worse than hearing a jet engine when you are trying to play a game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Lol, people always want to pose this question as if console exclusives dont exist.
Which is why I referred explicitly to multiplat games. I just don't understand why people don't feel like they're getting a "true" version when it's been in development on PS4 for years. They're just going to up the IQ and effects more on the Neo version. The core game is exactly the same.

Deadstar

I don't think HZD is coming to PC.

Right, one of the big reasons to own a console over the pc is for exclusive games. Another reason used to be controller gameplay on a tv, but that can now be achieved easily with the steam link or direct hdmi connection and it will only get better. If you don't care about exclusives you should get a pc. The initial investment is higher but the games are much cheaper so I'm sure it evens out.

I don't think it is always a case of intentionally doing that with games they know will not hit.

The targets can be on point and then something goes wrong during development. Someone thoroughly posted about it in this thread. With so many different people and factors in play, a single misstep can throw a wrench into what was going smoothly up to that point.

So, while I do agree that devs should try to announce when things are, more or less, guaranteed (tough for anything to be guaranteed in this industry), I do think we should keep into perspective just how insane game development is in general. Especially for a game of this scale. It isn't as if Sony is the only company going through this. It impacts a great deal of the industry.

That's the thing...I'm not talking about developers. I don't think that devs are typically in the wrong with these delays. Obviously sometimes thing happen in development that require more time.

The issue is that publishers know this and they still constantly reveal games and give release windows and dates 18 months ahead of time. I also don't think it's about ill intent. Publishers aren't lying to us about things...they're just constantly going with the optimistic projection. If anything, it's more about the marketing process being the tail that wags the dog. The business side is so focused on building hype and getting pre-order commitments on the books that they don't care about when the consumer gets the game in the end...only that they're still getting the money.

"Oh, we have to delay it? That's fine because we've got 1.5 million pre-orders that are guaranteed sales already. They're not going to cancel."

Ultimately it's a good thing that publishers are showing a willingness to delay games and get them right before launch. I'm happy about that. Now it's time for the marketing departments to step back and stop trying to get things out into the public just to get people to commit to a pre-order because of an initial, pre-alpha impression of the game.

The God

Which is why I referred explicitly to multiplat games. I just don't understand why people don't feel like they're getting a "true" version when it's been in development on PS4 for years. They're just going to up the IQ and effects more on the Neo version. The core game is exactly the same.

The core game is the same but the Neo version is still the best version. If someone has a gaming PC because they want the best versions of those games, I can see why they would loathe having to buy another console just to experience a console exclusive in the best way.

LARRYD.gif

Hello Shinobi

Back on topic, I don't really care, as long as the game is good. Really love this gen, so much to play in ps4, I'm already behind in games to finish.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It doesn't at all. I'd almost suggest UC4 will get more sales releasing in May then they would in November.

Let Horizon release when it's ready. The PS4 is selling just fine and seriously we've gotten some great games in these early months of this year.

Agreed.

Yep.

:)

I dont know if this has already been speculated but my roommate brought up a very interesting point.

Could it be that what we saw of Horizon last E3 was actually running on Hardware similar to the PS4K?

CCIE

Banned
Good. I'll play it on PS4K.. I already cannot keep up with the release schedule as is. I have R&C, FFXV, Uncharted 4, and probably P5 to play this year. That doesn't include any other surprise announcements. SO5 a possibility as well

My backlog is full - and I just picked up Rogue Galaxy for $6 yesterday. I think TLG will still make it though

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
There's something about people making a conscious decision to preorder something two years ahead of time that makes me not feel sorry for them when products are delayed. When are people going to take responsibility for making stupid decisions?

People continue to be outraged over shit they can control. It's become so tiring.

Top Bottom