• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Imageepoch is possibly closing down

desmax

Save JRPG's if old

PlayStation Portable用ソフト『最後の約束の物語』など、数々のゲームタイトルで知られるゲーム会社・イメージエポックの経営が危機に陥っているという情報が、業界を駆け巡っている。

同社は2004年に創業。『最後の約束の物語』をはじめ、『時と永遠~トキトワ~』の開発、『ブラック★ロックシューター THE GAME』『ソニプロ』の製作、アリスソフトの名作をコンシューマー化した『闘神都市』の発売などで知られてきた。同社代表取締役の御影良衛氏は、2009年に日本最大のゲーム開発者向けカンファレンスであるCEDECの講演で上場準備中であることを発表。翌2010年には「面白いJRPGを作り続ける」という「JRPG宣言」を発表し、注目を集めた。ところが、2013年には一部代金が未払いであるとして訴訟を提起される事件も発生。上場も実現せずに、さまざまな憶測が流れていた。

こうした状況の中で、2014年には「週刊ファミ通」(KADOKAWA エンターブレイン)10月23日発売号にて、創業10周年記念タイトル『STELLA GLOW(ステラ グロウ)』を開発中であることが報じられ、あらためて期待を集めることとなった。

ところが、今年1月頃から新たな動きが起こる。転職情報サイトにて、元社員と名乗る人物が書き込んだ「2014年には、社内開発ラインか2本→1本となっていった」「優秀な人はさっさと転職し、開発能力が著しく下がってしまった」という真偽不明の情報が、ネットで流布したのである。同時期から業界内でも、同社について「すでに会社の精算に向けて動き始めている」との噂が、現実味を持って語られるようになっていた。

そこで、噂の真偽を確かめるべく同社に対してメールで取材依頼を送ったが、回答期限を過ぎてもまったく応答はなかった。同時に、同社の入居しているオフィスビルのフロアが、すでに入居者募集として不動産情報サイトに掲載されていることも確認できた。

入居可能日は、今年の6月から。ということは、すでに退去に向けて準備を進めているのか? そこで同社を訪ねてみると、エントランスにはまだ「イメージエポック」の名前が残されているものの、同社が入居しているフロアに人影はなかった。ドアは閉じられ、宅急便の不在通知も挟まったままだ。

会社移転の可能性も考えたが、本日現在のところ、同社の公式サイトは更新されていない。また、会社登記簿でも所在地などの変更は登記されていない。つまり、業界内外で流布している噂はがぜん現実味を帯びてきている。

創業10周年記念タイトルとして発表されている『STELLA GLOW(ステラ グロウ)』は、ユーザーからも期待されており、このままお蔵入りしてしまうのはもったいない。代表取締役の御影氏は苦労人として知られるだけに、ちゃんと発売してくれることを願ってやまない。
(取材・文/昼間 たかし)

Source: http://otapol.jp/2015/02/post-2474.html

Google Translate:
Such as software for PlayStation Portable "last promise of the story", information that the management of game company image epoch, which is known in a number of game titles has fallen into crisis, are twirling the industry.

The company was founded in 2004. Including the "story of the last of promise", the development of "Time and Eternity", "Black ★ Rock Shooter THE GAME" Production of "Sonipuro", such as the launch of the consumer of the masterpiece of Alice software "Tournament of the Gods" It has been known for. The company Yoshie Mr. Mikage of representative directors, announced that it is being listed prepared in lecture CEDEC is the largest conference for game developers in Japan in 2009. The next 2010 announced the "JRPG Declaration" that "continues to make interesting JRPG", and drew attention. However, also occurs incidents part in 2013 price is filed a lawsuit as being unpaid. Listed also without realization, had various speculation flows.

Under these circumstances, in the "Weekly Famitsu" (KADOKAWA Enterbrain) October 23 launch issue in 2014, was reported to be developing a founding 10th anniversary title "STELLA GLOW (Stella Glow)" , it was decided to collect again expected.

However, a new movement occurs from around January this year. In Jobs site, written by the person claiming the former employee "in 2014, it became the in-house development line or two → 1 this" "Death talented people quickly change jobs, development capacity is significantly down authenticity of unknown information that closed was "is, is was circulated on the net. In the industry from the same time, rumors of the "already started to move towards the settlement of the company" for the company, had come to be told to have a reality.

So, it is sent the interview request by e-mail to the company in order to ascertain the authenticity of the rumor, did not respond at all even after the deadline. At the same time, the office building that the company's occupancy floor, I was also able to confirm that it is already posted on the real estate information site as tenants recruitment.

Occupancy possible date, from June of this year. Whether it is already gearing up for the retreat that? So when I visited the company, but are still left with the name of the "image epoch" in the entrance, there was no figure on the floor where the company is resident. Door is closed, I remain stuck also courier of absence notification.

Although considered the possibility of company relocation, today Currently, the company's official website has not been updated. In addition, changes such as location has not been registered in the company registry. In other words, rumors that have circulated in the industry inside and outside has been tinged with reality suddenly.

Has been announced as the founding 10th anniversary title "STELLA GLOW (Stella Glow)", which is expected from the user, it is a waste of this state would be shelved. Mikage's representative director in only known as the man of the world, can not help the hope that it will be willing to release properly.
(Interview-statement / Takashi Hiruma)

While they definitely made some games of questionable taste, I enjoyed some of their titles (Like Arc Rise Fantasia from what I've played), so it would be a shame if they would close down.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I just saw the link like 3 or 5 minutes ago too.

Stella Glow/Luminous Arc Infinity status looks shaky now.

Nintendo will save them......................

Funny you say that, wasn't their last work being the models and animations in Yoshi's New Island? Did that come out before or after Sonipro 3DS?

Anyway, really sad that they could be closing. :( I hope someone buys them out, or Marvelous salvage them as they did Neverland where they take in key folks and possibly their IPs (we don't know if Marvelous took in any of Neverland's IPs... if they had any).

Hopefully Stella Glow sees the light of day. How far along was it? I knew something was up when they said NOTHING about it since the unveiling in October. :(

Aeana

duckroll and I were debating making a thread about this about 2 hours ago, but we decided we were gonna wait until there was official notice since we didn't think anybody really cared about the company anymore. I guess some people care.

Frankly, this is probably the most disappointing fall from grace I've ever seen from a dev. Luminous Arc to World Destruction to 7th Dragon and Last Ranker and Arc Rise Fantasia... and then it just gets worse and worse and worse. So sad. They were not the savior of 'JRPG' like they were trying so hard to be. :(

Vena

duckroll and I were debating making a thread about this about 2 hours ago, but we decided we were gonna wait until there was official notice since we didn't think anybody really cared about the company anymore. I guess some people care.

Frankly, this is probably the most disappointing fall from grace I've ever seen from a dev. Luminous Arc to World Destruction to 7th Dragon and Last Ranker and Arc Rise Fantasia... and then it just gets worse and worse and worse. So sad. They were not the savior of 'JRPG' like they were trying so hard to be. :(

Did the Luminous titles sell poorly? I found them a lot of fun on DS but then they sort of... disappeared and now the most recent title is on Vita.

rhandino

Banned
I wonder if they managed to save JRPGs.
This year we will have Type-0, Persona 5 and Xenoblade X and next year FFXV (lol)... They did it and now that they fulfilled that mission they feel that they are no longer needed.

I really enjoyed the Luminous series, will miss them tbh.

Vena

This year we will have FFXV, Persona 5 and Xenoblade X... They did it and now that they fulfilled there mission they are feel that they are no longer needed.

I really enjoyed the Luminous series, will miss them tbh.

FFXV isn't coming out in 2015.

They cranked out a bunch of mediocre ratings titles really fast over a 2 year span awhile back which all did lackluster sales. I think quantity over quality wasn't really the right approach. Also weren't they making titles pretty exclusively for the PSP even as that portable was going through it's final death throes?

faridmon

Did the Luminous titles sell poorly? I found them a lot of fun on DS but then they sort of... disappeared and now the most recent title is on Vita.

They were happy with the sales of all 3 games, they didn't set the chart on fire, but it turn a little profit, too bad they focused on the PSP where they thought they had more audience and failed horribly.

Did anyone play Black Rock Shooter? Was it any good?

kurahador

Sad...I wish we could've gotten their good output localized instead of the one we got --- namely Fate Extra and Criminal Girls.

Nairume

Banned
Sucks that they are closing down because they had a lot of great ideas, but I guess they could have only gone on for so long promising the world and delivering an acre.

Clov

Well, I liked Fate/Extra, and that Black Rock Shooter game on PSP was pretty fun too. I guess it's kind of disappointing in that sense. Too bad we never ended up getting CCC. Hopefully the fan translation progresses well.

Tohsaka

Damn, that sucks if it turns out to be true. They definitely weren't the savior of JRPGs, but I liked some of their games.

ZoddGutts

They were a decent to good developer but not great level. They never lived up to what they were hyping themselves to be, still sad that their gone while Idea Factory and Compile Heart continues on to shit out sub par games.

Azure J

I feel old, if only for remembering when the studio was up and coming and GAF was hyping up Arc Rise Fantasia as its first "big boy" solo production.

Have I been on this forum that long? :lol

Reveirg

Ugh, really hope this isn't true.

I absolutely loved Luminous Arc 1 & 2, Arc Rise Fantasia and Sands of Destruction.

I was looking forward to Stella Glow and its Mitsuda soundtrack :(

Vena

I feel old, if only for remembering when the studio was up and coming and GAF was hyping up Arc Rise Fantasia as its first "big boy" solo production.

Have I been on this forum that long? :lol

I just realized ARF was them... I hated that game with a burning passion! Now I don't know if I like them anymore... but I love Luminous Arc and SoD (even if it was very predictable by the end of it all). :/

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I should have picked up arc rise fantasia when I had the chance, I mean, I still can go on amazon or something and buy it new even, but its probably too late for that to effect anything.

Links_fantasy

None of their games in recent years have had much success and or come to the West except Time and Eternity and Black Rock Shooter both mediocre games.

Aeana

I should have picked up arc rise fantasia when I had the chance, I mean, I still can go on amazon or something and buy it new even, but its probably too late for that to effect anything.

It would have done more to keep Ignition in business than to keep Imageepoch in business, and Ignition going away was probably best for all involved.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Thats...sad? I don't know how to feel. Studio closures are always sad in a sense (except for rare instances) but they never managed much, not even a fun overambitious failure

Hrmm

Oregano

I would have to wonder what happened. They evidently stopped getting work from other publishers including on sequels to games they made.

Should have made Vita games instead of 3DS games

hongcha

I hope they at least get Stella Glow out before they shut down for good. Toushin Toshi is still one of the best games I've played on my 3DS (and I've played a lot).

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Well, at least this thread reminded me that I still need to import a copy of 7th Dragon DS now that the fan translation's been out for a while.

Speaking of which, it's surprisingly not as expensive as I thought it would be, cool.

Top Bottom