• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Leaked art work suggest COD 2017 will be called ‘Call of Duty: WWII

If Treyarch is Black Ops & Sledgehammer historical CoD, then IW should make...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ambient80

Kinda interested, but if it has the same microtransactions as the previous games then I'll never play this.

I can't imagine Activision saying "Nah, we're not interested in free money any longer." As much hate as those MT's get here, a TON of people love and buy them constantly. I'm not a fan either, but it is what it is.

This turns my stomach. Just flat out the most offensive game I've ever seen.

I can name family members that died in this conflict, wept at the pictures and accounts of the dead and maimed that experienced this hell, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school, through my whole life, it's only ever been a symbol of the folly of war, the worst, most black and shameful era of American and European history. I've been to the actual battlefields and mass graves across Europe, held the minutes silence without fail every rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass murder, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

The entire concept of this game, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

How fucking dare anyone make a game like this about the Second World War.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously exploit this horror of an industrialised massacre, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.

Good effort but it doesn't quite work with WW2, still gave me a chuckle though

People accuse the series of being repetitive and also a copy cat and yet insist that it goes back to what it's done before and follow in the lead of it's compositor. I would honestly hate developing games because of the "fans".

Raven77

Whatever pushes us closer to VIETNAM is fine with me. I feel that Battlefield Vietnam proved that the era had the perfect level of technology for an fps game. Still feels old school but also just modern enough.

I used to be hardcore against more WW2 shooters since we had so many of them a decade ago. Everytime the prospect would come up, I'd dismiss the game being discussed. I think it's been long enough now though, and as long as it doesn't get out of hand going forward it could make a return.

But I also think we might need this for political reasons, as much as I'm usually against games making political statements. We're seeing a real-world return of acceptance of open Nazie-esque feelings and support of it. I think a powerful campaign, and a multiplayer focused on shitting on them, could really help reverse some of that course in the younger generation who seem more open to the ideas. Show the horror that the Nazi side became and how important it was to be against it.

Maybe I'm hoping for too much considering it's Call of Duty of all games, but I'd love to see a world class campaign about how awful the Nazi forces really were. In the past, I used to say that if we got a WW2 game we should get it from the "evil" perspective, but that was when I thought those kind of feelings were buried in history never to return.

RedSwirl

The one good thing though is that this probably means we'll see COD go back to more character-focused stories about regular soldiers caught up in a war bigger than them. Pretty much everything starting with Modern Warfare became more about special ops dudes who almost singlehandedly won the whole war and saved the world. I connected more with the US Marine campaigns in MW1 and especially MW2 because they were just about regular squads dealing with their situation.

Hoping for some variety in the campaign, would love to play as these guys for example:

2665ab0430d2275d4b1e5b827e73ad23.jpg

British Long Range Desert Group (precursor to SAS) in North Africa.

Maybe some Pacific theatre, or let us play as German commandos rescuing Musolini etc...

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?id=54504828545

"Robert Blair "Paddy" Mayne's story starts much in the same way as the opening scene of the first Gears of War game – the grizzled, jaded, ludicrously-muscular hero sits alone in a dark, rat-infested cell with no hope of escape and only his own violent angstiness to keep him company, when suddenly, a light appears at the door, and an old friend shows up with a double-edged proposition – sit here and rot to death like a chump, or undertake a mega-dangerous mission so insurvivable and ultra-violent that the only way you're coming home is in a Chinese restaurant take-out box."

Hazaku

I've come to hate this phrase so much

They're obviously going the CoD 1/2 route with no perks, no sprint and no custom classes in multiplayer / s

In my dreams. I'm prepared for wonky netcode and everyone running around with MP40s + stock/stalker.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Hoping for some variety in the campaign, would love to play as these guys for example:

2665ab0430d2275d4b1e5b827e73ad23.jpg

British Long Range Desert Group (precursor to SAS) in North Africa.

Maybe some Pacific theatre, or let us play as German commandos rescuing Musolini etc...

They were featured in Call of Duty: Finest Hour, in fact. Only had four missions or so, though.

AHA-Lambda

They're actually going back to WW2?
Was hoping for another MW-esque themed title tbh

Nah, my interest is completely gone =/

EDIT: seems I am in a distinct minority xD

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I cant believe we're honestly at the point where people actually want WW2 again. It's like everyone forgot why we moved away from that setting in the first place.

I give it a decade or so before people start begging for modern/futuristic setting shooters to return.

BizzyBum

Nolan's Dunkirk and now a WWII CoD revival?

thats-good.gif

I cant believe we're honestly at the point where people actually want WW2 again. It's like everyone forgot why we moved away from that setting in the first place.

I give it a decade or so before people start begging for modern/futuristic setting shooters to return.

Everything is cyclical.

SDCowboy

I just wish they'd rotate more. They have three studios. Have one do past, one present, the last can do future. Then none of them get tiring.

Lagamorph

Shame, the sci-fi setting was incredible in Infinite Warfare. If this is going back to World War 2 I'll be waiting for it to drop sub-£10.

Tesser

That first steelbook[?] image. Did Sledgehammer get permission from Gainax/Anno to use Gendo Ikari's likeness in CoD? Is this confirmation of the main pro-tag?

Press F to tell fellow soldiers to
GET IN THE FUCKING U-BOAT......Shinji

AHA-Lambda

I just wish they'd rotate more. They have three studios. Have one do past, one present, the last can do future. Then none of them get tiring.

This.

It makes perfect sense to use that setup, no idea why they wouldn't do it and stuck with sci-fi for so long.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh

Its almost as if people prefer variety

Soph

I'd like a campaign as the Germans or Italians with the same faux pas accents like they did with the old Russian campaigns of Cod 1 and 2.

Come on.. let me play as the other side for a change.

RinsFury

I used to be hardcore against more WW2 shooters since we had so many of them a decade ago. Everytime the prospect would come up, I'd dismiss the game being discussed. I think it's been long enough now though, and as long as it doesn't get out of hand going forward it could make a return.

But I also think we might need this for political reasons, as much as I'm usually against games making political statements. We're seeing a real-world return of acceptance of open Nazie-esque feelings and support of it. I think a powerful campaign, and a multiplayer focused on shitting on them, could really help reverse some of that course in the younger generation who seem more open to the ideas. Show the horror that the Nazi side became and how important it was to be against it.

Maybe I'm hoping for too much considering it's Call of Duty of all games, but I'd love to see a world class campaign about how awful the Nazi forces really were. In the past, I used to say that if we got a WW2 game we should get it from the "evil" perspective, but that was when I thought those kind of feelings were buried in history never to return.

This is a good point. I would like to see a focused campaign taking place from a minority point of view that really drives home the point that the nazis were evil, evil pieces of shit. We're starting to see a lot of revisionist history about the other side these days and that scares me.

fester

Banned

I see the FPS genre as stale as hell, and has been for a very long time. Going back to do yet another WWII game is seen as a good thing? How much more pro-military propaganda does the gaming industry need? There have been some recent threads about the original Quake, which if you wanted to revisit the past and get us back on the right timeline, that would be the way to do it.

AHA-Lambda

Actually this is a good point.

Rains

Hmm while this would be a good move i have little faith in the way they handle their games from the cod remaster/microtrans/remaster dlc maps lol yep i could not beleive they where selling a remaster dlc seperate heres hoping to a good game but who knows

fester

Banned

You make a fair point, but I have little faith that AAA game development will give us something like that. On the other hand, I'd probably expect some scenes that normalize torture as an effective "interrogation technique."

killroy87

On one hand, the aesthetics of WWII don't do much for me. On the other hand, I'll be curious to see what set pieces they can build with current tech.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one, AAA nextgen FPS about WW2 sounds amazing for me, but since this is Activision they can easily fuck up everything by including MT for ammo resupplies or 100$ season pass.

IISANDERII

That will be a nice change. Previous Call of Duty games were staunchly pro military industrial complex and on the wrong side of class warfare. No way they can be on the wrong side this time, the board will eject Bobby Kotik on the spot.

woahitsshant

Neo Member
I'm so tired of the bs narrative that they're following Battlefield 1's lead. That is not how game design works (I'm a designer). Sledgehammer was definitely in pre-production for their WWII game even before wrapping Advanced Warfare. This was not a reactionary move in response to DICE, they most likely had a boat load of data to support the change of direction. Analytics and studies are held by a publisher for good reason. They are used to predict industry trends and consumer preference going forward. I for one could not be more excited for a WWII setting. Between Destiny 2 and CoD: WWII I'll have my shooter fix for the foreseeable future.

Eylos

Banned
I really Hope they make Wars fronts that are not conventional, i want to play the chinese front there's zero ww2 games that made this.
I'm still tired of d-day

Top Bottom