• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Leaked art work suggest COD 2017 will be called ‘Call of Duty: WWII

If Treyarch is Black Ops & Sledgehammer historical CoD, then IW should make...

Results are only viewable after voting.
How this reads to me:

Publisher:"We're out of ideas, where do we go from here?"
COD dev:"Battlefield made a World War I game and it was really successful, why don't we do that?"
Pub:"We can't do that! We'll just look like we're copying them! Make it another world war!"
Dev:"So...World War II?"
Pub:"Sure, whatever, fine. Get to work!"

Except for the fact that; A: Infinite Warfare still outsold Bf1, B: These games are in development for 3 years now, which is the entire reason Sledgehammer was added to the core Cod teams.

People be acting like Dice is the only people who can read the market. It doesn't take a genus to see that releasing 3 space games in a row is going to stagnate the market.

I'm joking a little bit, but I wouldn't be surprised if the success of Battlefield 1 made them change focus.

Activision has CoD on a three your dev cycle now since three main studios handle them, Infinity Ward, Treyarch, and Sledgehammer. Sledgehammer's first CoD, Advanced Warfare, was released in 2014. To do what you're saying it would mean they would've had to can a game more than a year in development, which would then put them in a position of having to complete a completely new game in just over a year.

Beartruck

Except for the fact that; A: Infinite Warfare still outsold Bf1, B: These games are in development for 3 years now, which is the entire reason Sledgehammer was added to the core Cod teams.

People be acting like Dice is the only people who can read the market. It doesn't take a genus to see that releasing 3 space games in a row is going to stagnate the market.

Battlefield 1's publicity was also much, much more well received than Infinite warfare's, which despite the sales came and went like a wet fart in the public mindshare. They may have been making a WW2 shooter before Battlefield 1 was even known about, but you bet your ass the positive buzz from Battlefield 1's reveal and release helped spur development and convince the publisher this was the right move.

Still hope they're planning on

Old, Modern, and Future. That way they can keep up the changes. Was getting old when we basically had three future-esque games back to back
I really hope they do this too. As excited as I am for a old style COD, I'd hate to see the new movement system ones never used again. I've grown fond of them.

Soph

Having a hard time feeling any excitement over this whatsoever, but I guess now more than ever we need a game where we can shoot fucking nazis.

The inverse of my previous point: Do we really need a game right now where we empathize with fucking nazis?

Nazis does not equate to soldiers of the wehrmacht, maybe it's good to actually stop regurgitating that. War is fucked up, but making everyone on one side evil is nonsensical at best.

Nazis does not equate to soldiers of the wehrmacht, maybe it's good to actually stop regurgitating that. War is fucked up, but making everyone on one side evil is nonsensical at best.

Read my follow up:

How does a game featuring a playable Landser imply empathizing with the Nazis? Might it not, I dunno, present a raw look at the horrors perpetrated by that regime? A campaign from a German's point of view would allow the developers to explore the moral conflict a soldier might face between fighting, perhaps unwillingly, for family and homeland and serving under an evil despot.

It might. I could see that. But it also might not. I could see some people playing it for the wrong reasons and, more commonly, getting the wrong message.

I'm not saying there isn't room for that storytelling (I welcome it!). But in a world where a global Neo Nazi movement is burgeoning more than ever in subtle and not-so-subtle ways (in high level politics, no less), I'm not sure a game where you play a cog in fascist regime mowing down democratic Allies is needed right now. Unless that narrative sees you rising up against that regime. Which I doubt.

I'm not devoid of empathy for the foot soldiers who were swept up in the whims of a vile, carnivorous regime, fighting a war that they had no interest in. But that is a very delicate story to tell that I don't think a game where you are a voiceless avatar holding the gun is very likely to pull off respectfully in this current sociopolitical climate.

EDIT:

And besides, if the stuff in the OP is legit, it's all soldiers storming a beach. I'm no history buff, but I'm willing to bet you don't star as the guy those guys are aiming at.

Zukkoyaki

Oh my. Boots on the ground. WW2. Simplified zombies, please.

Digital Deluxe edition for me.
That's my biggest want as well.

If their effort to try and "improve" zombies COD devs, mainly Treyarch, have completely lost what people liked about the mode to begin with.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Oozing creativity. /s

Expect it to be a massive game if it's going to cover all of WW2 in one shot.

And a one time thing too, since, well... what the hell are they gonna call the sequels?

FireRises

they should put this franchise on ice for awhile but I know that's counter productive to printing money so Activision won't do it.

N-Forced

Neo Member
Trailer opens with your character on a landing boat, the door drops and you run towards a beach... full of robots shooting lasers because it's actually 2244. That's how they get ya.
But then at the end you find out it's just a simulation in vr and you're really in the present.

MrS

Banned
What if the WW is for Wet Willy and you have to go around sticking your saliva-tinged fingers in to the ears of other gamers?

opricnik

Banned
Activision has CoD on a three your dev cycle now since three main studios handle them, Infinity Ward, Treyarch, and Sledgehammer. Sledgehammer's first CoD, Advanced Warfare, was released in 2014. To do what you're saying it would mean they would've had to can a game more than a year in development, which would then put them in a position of having to complete a completely new game in just over a year.

I mean we already saw BF1 in January 2016 or something that makes 2 year , i wouldnt be surprised if they took decision like in end of 2015 when they saw bf1.

It's not that hard to make a game when you have engine , network etc set up already. They could even had weapons and models designed for a WW2 game from their vietnam CoD game.

or maybe they have shared pool of weapons / models they use

i-Lo

Always good to reboot when you're out of ideas. Perhaps the immersive story telling and gameplay will remind the youth of today who subscribe to a few alt-right video game reviewers/let's players, the horrors of WW2, it's cause and consequences.

Who am I kidding..

iMax

How this reads to me:

Publisher:"We're out of ideas, where do we go from here?"
COD dev:"Battlefield made a World War I game and it was really successful, why don't we do that?"
Pub:"We can't do that! We'll just look like we're copying them! Make it another world war!"
Dev:"So...World War II?"
Pub:"Sure, whatever, fine. Get to work!"

You think this has been in development for less than one year?

Both games likely started development around the same time.

Hopefully the new standard is Sledgehammer - Past, Treyarch - Modern or near-past(because that's the only time period they haven't done), and Infinity Ward - Future.

That would be good. Infinite Warfare 2 should have aliens. Full Halo. Just keep jumping further and further into the future.

Cool if true, but I don't really care for the way CoD plays anymore. BC2 kinda ruined CoD for me and it hasn't ever felt the same since.

That being said, include vehicles and maybe I'd give it a chance.

Cool if true, but I don't really care for the way CoD plays anymore. BC2 kinda ruined CoD for me and it hasn't ever felt the same since.

That being said, include vehicles and maybe I'd give it a chance.

I played the heck out of COD2 on the old 360. Great great times online with that. This COD WW2 could be really good

Goddamn this is so exciting. I've been wanting a good world war 2 on current gen for ages. Didn't like wolfenstein TNO, and Battlefield One had a bad campaign, so its right up my street.

If you still die in a bullet and a half...Count me out. I want to be able survive getting shot at and you die so fast in modern Cod games is isn't fun. The only difference between hardcore and core anymore is team killing and the HUD.

Zereta

After Battlefield 1, I'd be ready for this. Call of Duty: WWII name suggests broad reaching focus on multiple fronts of WWII which I dig.

If Call of Duty can make the definitive WWII Triple A shooter, I'd be down.

sjay1994

So after the market got saturated with WW2 shooters back in 06, the market moved to the modern military shooter, and when that got over saturated in 2010, we went to the futuristic military shooter and after that market got saturated we moved back to WW2.

COD has literally gone full circle.

I'm sure many people have pointed out before how at a glance, these come across as from movie or TV series, but so far I've yet to see anyone point out exactly what. It certainty isn't from Saving Private Ryan and no one being able to identify what they could be from would support them being legit otherwise someone would probably have found it by now...i could potentially see them as being legit it if it wasn't for this one picture in particular and how wrong it seems, if I'm interpreting it right:

C7ubN-nVwAEKby_.jpg

Take a close look at this. You have a battle in the background, and a 'main' character in the foreground who takes up the majority of the cover. The background along with that character is entirely incohesive. You've got two characters in the background (the one laying down, the one kneeling next to him) facing a certain direction, implying the battle is taking place in that direction of off to the side slightly, then you've got the background standing guy (the one they're 'looking' towards) facing in a slightly different direction (facing just to the left rather than the same way as the other two)...and then you've got the main foreground character facing a completely unrelated direction than the enemy is suggested to be, that being to the left but not entirely the same way as the standing guy Then you've got how the characters all seem to be at different levels of detail; the one laying down with the guy next to him come across as more blurry than the one standing facing to the left (and although it's a big vague that guy also seems very familiar for some reason, having watched Band of Brothers and the Pacific fairly recently...can't figure out why). That standing character also seems to be a different size than the two others i mentioned. There's also what appears to be someone in the background casually standing with his gun raised in one hand, facing towards the viewer.

However, the biggest giveaway that this is a fake is what's behind the foreground character; what seems to be another character, you can see their gun and helmet there...which along with the perspective of that (from the back) implies it's taken from a movie/tv show.

Basically, none of this picture adds up and it implies it's cobbled together from multiple things.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm not feeling it, or I'm not feeling it because it feels a bit lazy just throwing it out as WWII, a title like World at War had a nice ring to it.

That was the real issue, there was very little difference between the games because for some reason they all moved forward together rather than keeping them separate. They all went a bit futuristic together but until Infinite Warfare never really made the proper jump to the future, then IW comes along with a more appropriate time frame and people are already bored of it.

I really hope we don't end up with years of WW1/2 shooters, they need to be more varied not all lump together at the same time and with sequels.

antitrop

Take a close look at this. You have a battle in the background, and a 'main' character in the foreground who takes up the majority of the cover. The background along with that character is entirely incohesive. You've got two characters in the background facing a certain direction, implying the battle is 'angled' from the viewers perspective, then you've got the background standing guy in a slightly different direction (facing just to the left rather than the same way as the other two)...and then you've got the main foreground character facing a completely unrelated direction to everyone else. Then you've got how the characters all seem to be at different levels of detail; the one laying down with the guy next to him come across as more blurry than the one standing facing to the left (and although it's a big vague that guy also seems very familiar for some reason, having watched Band of Brothers and the Pacific fairly recently...can't figure out why). That standing character also seems to be a different size than the two others i mentioned. There's also what appears to be someone in the background casually standing with his gun raised in one hand, facing towards the viewer.
lRpvpKb.jpg

Top Bottom