• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Leaked document detailing MS future plans for the Xbox line. 56 pages long.

nasos_333

haha that Surface fact sheet, portable xbox with battery life 2x the Vitas! Damn those brilliant Microsoft geniuses

lol

Actually this is like WiiU, a tablet and a stationary hardware outside it

The CPU-GPU are not in the tablet iteself, so it could definatly last more than any actual tablet

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
22.2 surround sounds exists, but only as experimental tech for Japan's upcoming 8K television. Think of it as 3D version of current 7.1 systems. Instead of just 1 layer where you put your speekers, you get 3 layers that make a sphere of speakers around you. One layer for floor, center and ceiling of a room.

Xbox Surface is that table device that MS made, maybe they are making a new version with a smaller tablet controller. Still i think specs are fake.

MS Surface actually, but yeah, they are planning to produce a smaller version. And those specs are very fake.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Actually this is like WiiU, a tablet and a stationary hardware outside it

The CPU-GPU are not in the tablet iteself, so it could definatly last more than any actual tablet

Oh yeah you're right, I totally misread the bullshit document.

Sorry fakers!

Globox_82

Banned
sorry if old

Microsoft lawyers remove leaked 'Xbox 720' document
Paper claims new console will launch 2013 at $299, complete with Blu-ray and advanced Kinect technology

By Rob Crossley for CVG UK

A 56 page PowerPoint document that supposedly reveals sensitive information about Microsoft's next-generation console has been removed from the website it was leaked to.

The document, published on Scribd, claims the Xbox 720 will be released for the 2013 holidays with 4-6x the power of the current Xbox 360, at a price of $299.

It was removed following a complaint from Covington & Burling LLP, an international law firm that lists Microsoft as one of its clients.

The authenticity of the document, apparently written in 2010, remains a matter for dispute.

If genuine, the details within are difficult to verify as the paper appears to have been written in 2010. Games console design is a process that traditionally has one project undergo a multitude of redesigns.

According to the document, the Xbox 720 will feature Blu-ray compatibility, a form of augmented reality glasses, "Kinect version 2" and the recent SmartGlass service.

Some of the details, such as release date, match with data supplied by CVG's sources.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/354086/microsoft-lawyers-remove-leaked-xbox-720-document/

Biggzy

sorry if old

Microsoft lawyers remove leaked 'Xbox 720' document
Paper claims new console will launch 2013 at $299, complete with Blu-ray and advanced Kinect technology

By Rob Crossley for CVG UK

A 56 page PowerPoint document that supposedly reveals sensitive information about Microsoft's next-generation console has been removed from the website it was leaked to.

The document, published on Scribd, claims the Xbox 720 will be released for the 2013 holidays with 4-6x the power of the current Xbox 360, at a price of $299.

It was removed following a complaint from Covington & Burling LLP, an international law firm that lists Microsoft as one of its clients.

The authenticity of the document, apparently written in 2010, remains a matter for dispute.

If genuine, the details within are difficult to verify as the paper appears to have been written in 2010. Games console design is a process that traditionally has one project undergo a multitude of redesigns.

According to the document, the Xbox 720 will feature Blu-ray compatibility, a form of augmented reality glasses, "Kinect version 2" and the recent SmartGlass service.

Some of the details, such as release date, match with data supplied by CVG's sources.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/354086/microsoft-lawyers-remove-leaked-xbox-720-document/

Very old.

joshwaan

this one looks fake, so I will post this here.

http://www.shifted2u.com/shifted/in...ox-surface-details&catid=46:gaming&Itemid=138

microsoftxboxsurface_techspecs3.jpg

Fan Boys wet dream :p

ROFLMFAO not one but two Power 7 CPU yeah... no :p

22.2 Surround sound WTF lol

5GB RAM why not 6 lol

Oh dude you forgot the price all for $999 :p

anyways bit of a laugh thanks for posting mate :)

Biggzy

Fan Boys wet dream :p

ROFLMFAO not one but two Power 7 CPU yeah... no :p

22.2 Surround sound WTF lol

5GB RAM why not 6 lol

Oh dude you forgot the price all for $999 on 2 year contract of $49 a month :p

anyways bit of a laugh thanks for posting mate :)

Almost as bad as that PS4 one.

Xbox 360 launch at $400 in 2005. In today's $ that is $470.69.

Ms should target $499 launch price.

People do this all the time, but you can't apply traditional inflation rules to technology.

PS2 was far more advanced than PS1 and launched at the same price, because technology becomes cheaper over time.

A TV or computer can be purchased today for less than they would have been five years ago, but with far more features and better speed/tech.

Just read through the whole pdf, if MS pull this off they will utterly bury Sony in the next gen. DVR with any-device, anywhere streaming is a compelling prospect*.

Outside of the US no one will give a fuck. I never understood this whole DVR, ESPN all in one media box. If people had any interest they would already have a cable box capable of doing all that. It reminds of the 360 launch where some thought streaming media between the 360 and your pc through Windows Media Center would be some kind of game changer. Vast majority will buy a 720 for software only.

USC-fan

Banned
Just read through the whole pdf, if MS pull this off they will utterly bury Sony in the next gen. DVR with any-device, anywhere streaming is a compelling prospect*.

Thats a big IF though, MS have never got multiple departments to work together so harmoniously. All it will take is one fuckwit manager to go "no, this must only work on Windows 8 and Windows Phones" and the whole strategy is fucked.
Which is what will likely happen.
And those glasses, holy shit. Again though, MS will likely make it so you need a Windows Phone, fucking it all up again.

*yes, i could set up my NAS to do that, or use a Raspberry Pi and have it do all that for barely any cost, but the masses will never have seen anything like this.

Xbox360 is already a Dvr. I used them in my house with media center.

Smart glass should show they will support iOS and android.

The big unknown is how far Sony pushes the specs in the ps4. Ms has the added cost of kinect. Sony doesn't and could just put this money back into specs.

Outside of the US know one will give a fuck. I never understood this whole DVR, ESPN all in one media box. If people had any interest they would already have a cable box capable of doing all that.

You need to re-think your position.

Plenty of people, myself included, cut cable due to its ridiculous cost. I watch an incredible amount of television through my XBOX - including ESPN - and want more. Streaming content is a terrific value and continues to get better.

Just look at the usage data. More XBOX Live subscribers spend time streaming Netflix than they do playing games.

jmdajr

Xbox360 is already a Dvr. I used them in my house with media center.

Smart glass should show they will support iOS and android.

The big unknown is how far Sony pushes the specs in the ps4. Ms has the added cost of kinect. Sony doesn't and could just put this money back into specs.

Yeah I'd like to see what both offer before jumping in.

God I hate my current cable box. What a piece of crap.
I do have my Windows Media Center set up, but only for over the air and analog cable. I want my slick future back to the future tv viewing!

androvsky

Hell, the PS3 is already a DVR in Japan and Europe, and a pretty sweet one at that from what I understand. Doesn't require a PC at all, yet can record while playing games and stream recorded shows to other devices.

How much more "powerful" was the 360 compared to the original XBOX?

I am trying to get a loose idea of what 6-8 times more powerful than a 360 means, exactly.

On the subject of the name, XBox 720 is good for exactly one reason. It's what everyone is already calling it.

XBox 10 is weird, XBox 3 is very factual, but not terribly good. XBox Universal is destined to be hacked and turned into a sekrit interwebs of some sort in San Francisco. Xbox Infinite/Infinity is just really pretentious.

diffusionx

Gold Member
How much more "powerful" was the 360 compared to the original XBOX?

I am trying to get a loose idea of what 6-8 times more powerful than a 360 means, exactly.

I think it's basically equivalent to a good PC from last year. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong.

androvsky

Yeah but nobody has a fucking clue what the hell PlayTV is, even if it is fantastic. And i've never seen that addon in real life, anywhere.

MS have the marketing grunt to make out like this is all some new amazing must-have living room "it really REALLY does everything" mega-box.
Torne's doing pretty good in Japan, it's actually given the PS3 a decent boost in sales. I agree MS has a better chance at winning the marketing battle, but only in the U.S.

On the subject of the name, XBox 720 is good for exactly one reason. It's what everyone is already calling it.

XBox 10 is weird, XBox 3 is very factual, but not terribly good. XBox Universal is destined to be hacked and turned into a sekrit interwebs of some sort in San Francisco. Xbox Infinite/Infinity is just really pretentious.

Xbox 8 ties into the Windows version that'll be launching around the time the new Xbox is announced.

quickwhips

If this is last console gen then they should just call it xbox infinite. Then when they start streaming games in like 4-5 more years instead of selling them in stores it will hold true.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
When is E3?
The ESA has yet to announce dates and venue for E3 2013, due to issues with a proposed renovation to the Los Angeles Convention Center. They have said a statement will come shortly though.

onQ123

could we be looking right at the Xbox 3 & not knowing it?

at first I thought this was just fake because I was thinking no way in hell a tablet has these specs, but looking at it again it's not a tablet the tablet is just a part of it like the Wii U.

at first I thought this was just fake because I was thinking no way in hell a tablet has these specs, but looking at it again it's not a tablet the tablet is just a part of it like the Wii U.

Hah, you're on to something. Maybe this is fake as shit, but everyone has been reading this sheet wrong. Whoever made it intended it to be read as the specs for the next Xbox.

Those specs are under the subtitle Stationary Computing Device…hype

StevieP

Banned

Microsoft is playing with tablets but that does not represent their next Xbox. There are clear signs of fabrication, as already discussed.

Exactly, not one reliable piece of information there.

Reliable? No. Some accuracies due to the age of the information? Yes.

KageMaru

This is fake, there are clear signs in the spec sheet itself.

If the specs in the closed thread are true, I think Microsoft will have a really hard time. 3-4 GB RAM does sound good at first glance, but it seems a significant part of this could be reserved for heavy usage of apps and other os functions. And because you don't need really fast RAM for these purposes, I think it is entirely possible that Microsoft will use, for example 4 GB of slow, unified DDR3/4 RAM and eDRAM. I don't think this would be that much superior to 2 GB of fast, unified GDDR5 RAM in the PS4.

The CPU in the Xbox seems to have more cores then the one of the PS4, but I guess one or maybe two are reserved for apps and os functions, too (if there is really such a big focus on these things). And core count is not enough to judge the power of a CPU, frequency is also important. The GPU in these rumored specs seems to be a lot weaker then the one in the PS4, and I think you can compare them quite well because they probably are from the same company. In terms of storage media, Microsoft will probably use a standard Blu-ray ROM, but I imagine Sony could use a fast BDXL drive. This could further boost reading speeds. While no game will probably use the whole 128 gigabytes of a 4 layer Blu-ray disc, it could be possible (I guess) to put most of the data at the outer diameter of a disc on every layer. Reading speed is higher there then at the inner diameter. Modern drives can read 45 Megabytes per second (vs 9 Megabytes in PS3) which could positively affect streaming techniques, further easing the amount of RAM of the PS4.

The thing is, I am not convinced that Microsoft will succeed with a strategy which concentrates heavily on things like apps and services. This may work in the US because it is a large, homogeneous market, but what is with the rest of the world? Europe is not so homogeneous, there are many different countries with very different legal situations. If you compare their current Xbox services in Europe with the ones in the USA, you will notice immediately the difference. And this would totally bomb in Japan.

Regarding their streaming plans: I don't think the world will be ready for this in 2015. I have the feeling that telecommunication companies are concentrating more on improving mobile networks then on improving traditional, wired internet connections. I think such a strategy would be really risky. Including Kinect is in my opinion not a good idea, too. I have yet not seen a really meaningful use of this piece of hardware, and I think it will not be relevant for third-party multiplatform titles or core gaming titles.

All in all I am very sceptical of these supposed specs and plans.

sam27368

Banned
Jesus Christ people arent believing this surface are they?

22.2 surround sound?? Has anyone considered this? For their fucking lounge? Someone is having a big laugh

Jesus Christ people arent believing this surface are they?

22.2 surround sound?? Has anyone considered this? For their fucking lounge? Someone is having a big laugh

Lol wut? Blu ray disc video supports 22.2 using HDMI, there's nothing extravagant about it. It's no different to PS3 supporting 48bit deep colour when practically nothing uses it, it adds nothing to the cost.

sam27368

Banned
Lol wut? Blu ray disc video supports 22.2 using HDMI, there's nothing extravagant about it. It's no different to PS3 supporting 48bit deep colour when practically nothing uses it, it adds nothing to the cost.
No, what are you on about? Blu ray most certainly does not support 22.2. 7.1 at a pinch these days. Movies are not mixed at 22.2! Do some research before making dumb posts.

Top Bottom