• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Leaked Screens of Smash 3DS Shows Character Select Screen, Stages

Vj4qHt0.png
Never forget LOL

blamite

I really want this to be fake since Pittoo is such a useless character who could be easily replaced with a custom moveset on Pit, but this does look real in a bunch of really odd ways... And I still think Bowser Jr. is a pretty dumb character, so putting him in the clown car isn't gonna make him any more appealing.

Still, if those DLC characters really are coming, and if they do turn out to be free to coincide with the Wii U version, I guess I'll be pretty happy with this roster overall?

Seems too good to be true (great newcomers remaining, a few cuts which will come back as DLC though) but not impossible. Can't believe people are against the Duck Hunt Dog. Potentially the best newcomer in the game, honestly.
Even better if there are more characters to be revealed (the space is there).
Only disappointing thing is the stages but who cares really, I'll play this game till November and then never again probably.

I want this to be true but I have doubts.

Forkball

For those saying "Fake because so and so would never" or "Fake because I don't like it"... those are not real arguments. There's a lot of good issues about how it could be fake as outlined in the OP, but saying a character choice is ridiculous doesn't mesh with the history of the series, which has unpredictable and unpopular additions/subtractions to the roster.

Also keep in mind that all three leaks are from DIFFERENT sources. The first one seems the most legit, the second one seems ok outside of the Mac/Shulk thing which may be a case of seeing what you want to see, but the third one is being declared fake by most people. I say the first leak is definitely real, the second leak has a lot of validity to it, and the third leak is fake.

All it really takes is for a vet or newcomer to be confirmed to see if the poses match up. Maybe even a stage would do. This could all be solved tomorrow... or we have to speculate until September 13.

This is fake because there is 0 chance they would ever cut ice climbers but introduce more clones. I pray they don't cut lucas though, that's my main man.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/creating-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-3ds?page=2

Here's an interview where Sakurai says multi-person characters were proving to be technically difficult to implement in the 3DS version of the game. That may be a reason why they were cut but then remade as DLC in the Wii U version, as this supposed leak suggests.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Considering how much love Uprising's been shown by Sakurai, another Kid Icarus Rep, and a clone at that, isn't surprising.

I mean, there's tons of items and Smash Run enemies from Uprising.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well, the Leak was pretty much overtaking the main Smash Thread, I thought it'd be better to give it room to breath.

And last time I checked, just because someone posts in SmashGAF doesn't make them bound by any decisions made by a majority of the posters there. I did what I thought was best, and I felt the Mods could decide whether or not this thread has merit to stay open.

Good point there. At least, you are giving a leaker the satisfaction if it ended up being fake.

Next two-three weeks will be nutty and insane weeks with a lot of real and fake leaks mixed up.

I want this to be real ONLY if Doc Mario plays like Melee Doc with the old down B and down air.

But I want it to be fake because I don't want ICs or Wolf gone. Bad enough that Pokemon Trainer was cut (even if his gimmick was awful) with Squirtle and Ivysaur, I wouldn't want to lose a unique retro rep and one of the few villain/anti hero character on the playable roster.

Neoxon

I'm on #TeamFake, but I wouldn't mind this being real if the DLC was also legit.

Which reminds me, how much would the DLC cost?

Like there was zero chance they would ever cut Mewtwo but introduce more clones?

Besides, if this leak is true, Ice Climbers will likely be DLC.

Mewtwo was in one Smash game. Ice Climbers have been in 2 now, are a fan and competitive favourite. They are not getting cut. There is 0 reason to see them get cut. Mewtwo got cut to introduce Lucario. Ice Climbers are going to get cut why exactly?

Please god let this be real

This would be perfection (aside from the lack of Dixie but whatever I gave up on her)

The next few weeks are going to be cray cray

KarmaCow

Platy

This is fake because there is 0 chance they would ever cut ice climbers but introduce more clones. I pray they don't cut lucas though, that's my main man.

Actualy one of the first interviews sakurai did he mentioned the 3DS showed problems with "characters that are multiple fighters" so turning zelda/sheik and samus/zssamus into separate slots each and cutting ice climbers makes some sense

Watch Da Birdie

I'm on #TeamFake, but I wouldn't mind this being real if the DLC was also legit.

Which reminds me, how much would the DLC cost?

The popular theory is they're simply timed DLC, and might be free.

It makes sense Sakurai might save some characters for the Wii U Version, and have them unlocked in the 3DS Version when it's released.

Het_Nkik

As of yesterday, the leak took a surprising turn when very interesting pictures appeared in a 4chan thread on /v/, basically out of nowhere. They have been claimed to be an ESRB copy, however, the ESRB does not receive the games early according to their site, instead they are merely sent a video showing the game's notable moments and rate it from that. However, the theory here is that the leak comes from a Treehouse employee who took the footage and submitted it to the ESRB. Or something like that. We really don't know WHERE these images come from, and the identity of who the leaker is is still a bit blurry.

But wouldn't the pictures support that these shots are from a video? In all the pictures that show the top and bottom screen at the same time, there's no gap between the screens. They're clearly NOT taken from the actual game running on a 3DS.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Actualy one of the first interviews sakurai did he mentioned the 3DS showed problems with "characters that are multiple fighters" so turning zelda/sheik and samus/zssamus into separate slots each and cutting ice climbers makes some sense

But Ice Climbers is confirmed to be DLC character according to the leaker. (If it's legit then I would imagine that they need more time to work on IC.)

I'm firmly on the fence on this one- I'd be delighted if it was true, with Shulk and Duck Hunt Dog being excellent additions, but I'm not entirely convinced yet. Yoshi on the CSS is giving me the most pause- I can rationalise away most other inconsistencies, but there's no reason in the world that he should be there.

All the same, some of the reasons people are trotting out remind me a hell of a lot of the reactions that we get to legit Pokémon leaks. People are seeing what they want to see- that Shulk/Little Mac comparison is a painful reach, for example.

Mewtwo got cut to introduce Lucario.
No he didn't. Mewtwo was going to be in until a relatively late stage, but he got the chop so work could be focused on Sonic, who only got added to the game at the last possible moment.

EulaCapra

You can add this to OP too if you want. It's regarding additional newcomers SmashBoard's "sources" can vouch for after commenting on the picture leak. They said the Zelda newcomer is Impa.

From July:
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-ninka-foul-mouth-gematsu-johnknight1-compilation-theory.362684/
To clarify, my friend worked for NoA as a Product tester. During the time he was employed, he made sure he didn't actually tell me anything important. The recolor details he shared because he and I are design nuts and just like talking about that sort of thing. I was surprised when he told me the info about the roster, because I did not ask him about it. He was struggling to remember all the characters and told me "It's hard trying to figure out who's missing. It's a pretty big cast".

Consider this stuff a "thanks for sticking up for me" even though you're basically risking your own neck in the event I'm some malicious guy just out to cause havoc. Hope this all helps you out with your info scanning and trying to find out if any of these "leaks" are actually true or not.

For what it's worth, I don't think my friend had the whole picture.

Shun theorizes that his friend did not know every detail, partly because of memory, and part because some things may have been missing or not presented clearly. Con0rrrr, who I shared this with because of our similar stances and non bias on the issue of leaks, came to a conclusion using this information, as well as Foul Mouth leaker. We guess that the remaining newcomers will be Shulk, Chorus Men, Dixie Kong, Dark Pit, Doctor Mario, Ridley, Mewtwo (yes I know he and Doc aren't newcomers persay), Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt Dog. We're split on the other hand on the issue of Lucas/IC/Wolf and frankly, could see it going either way. We also theorize that Zelda will get a newcomer as well, to go along with the trophy quiz theory.

Of interest is Foul Mouth/Gematsu/Ninka/Johnknight1's leaks have NO conflicting elements between them. Also last night this leak was posted

http://boards.deniableplausibility.n...896/#255219896 (dead link now; all it said was the following)

>Dixie
>Shulk
>Chorus Men
>Ridley
>Bowser Jr
>Mewtwo
>Duck Hunt Dog

Never read that interview. I still find the concept of Ice Climbers getting cut unlikely. They are such a tournament staple and fan favourite. But this adds validity to it at least.

Hatchtag

Banned
Eh. Doesn't seem to be much more to discuss since last night. We need either more pictures or a new pic of the day confirming something before there'll be anymore to discuss with this leak.
It's damn well made, though, if it does end up fake.

daxgame

Yes, yes it is. Plus, Sakurai already "cut characters for clones", he cut Squirtle for Lucina.

Such as...?
List them

Hopefully they're more than just "Sakurai wouldn't do that!", "OMG why is DOCTOR MARIO back??", "Why are there so many Retro stages", etc etc

you're welcome:

1) Doctor Mario back as a clone I guess it means that he's a playable character? Unsure why Sakurai would completely cut him off from Brawl only to bring him back - even playable - in Smash 4.
2) I don't think Sakurai will implement DLC characters, especially not that many as leaker 1 suggested. It simply goes against what Nintendo has done with DLC so far (i.e. minor stuff like Mario Kart's vehicles for free)
3) so far everything points to Snake not being Smash 4.
4) 4chan could as well be renamed forgechan.
5) "but my friend recently quit as a tester due to family reasons" wait, was that guy suggesting his friend was a tester on Smash 4? Come on.
lol Disablad

Note that some of his stuff will certainly turn out to be true, I mean, I could also predict Shulk to be in the game probably and there are good chances.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/...and-3ds?page=2

Here's an interview where Sakurai says multi-person characters were proving to be technically difficult to implement in the 3DS version of the game. That may be a reason why they were cut but then remade as DLC in the Wii U version, as this supposed leak suggests.

From what I gathered it was a misinterpretation (and apparently the Ice Climbers comment was added by the interviewer than Sakurai), and that was referring to "characters" who carry multiple characters - i.e. Zelda/Shiek. He made them separate now.

Vamphuntr

For those saying "Fake because so and so would never" or "Fake because I don't like it"... those are not real arguments. There's a lot of good issues about how it could be fake as outlined in the OP, but saying a character choice is ridiculous doesn't mesh with the history of the series, which has unpredictable and unpopular additions/subtractions to the roster.

Also keep in mind that all three leaks are from DIFFERENT sources. The first one seems the most legit, the second one seems ok outside of the Mac/Shulk thing which may be a case of seeing what you want to see, but the third one is being declared fake by most people. I say the first leak is definitely real, the second leak has a lot of validity to it, and the third leak is fake.

It's pretty easy to act as 3 different sources on /v/ and gamefaqs.

Banned
Taking out ice climbers and making them DLC after sakurai said he didn't want to do DLC? Duck hunt dog? Bowser jr from a kart? This better be fake or that's a terrible roster.

you're welcome:

1) Doctor Mario back as a clone I guess it means that he's a playable character? Unsure why Sakurai would completely cut him off from Brawl only to bring him back - even playable - in Smash 4.
2) I don't think Sakurai will implement DLC characters, especially not that many as leaker 1 suggested. It simply goes against what Nintendo has done with DLC so far (i.e. minor stuff like Mario Kart's vehicles for free)

Note that some of his stuff will certainly turn out to be true, I mean, I could also predict Shulk to be in the game probably and there are good chances.

1. Dr. Mario was probably planned for Brawl but cut (files are on disc)
2. Mario Golf 3DS had pay DLC courses and characters

Watch Da Birdie

Honestly, the DLC Characters might just be timed unlocks to coincide with the Wii U Version.

Which doesn't seem too different from, say, how ORAS is adding new Mega Pokemon that will probably be updated to be included in XY.

Kyou

Now that pic came way later than the others and probably is a fake piggybacking over the more authentic ones.

You could argue the Shulk was taken from an earlier leak, but the large Ganondorf portrait didnt appear anywhere else except on the character select screen

I don't think Smashboards mods are really reliable sources.
Neither are Nintendo reps to be fair. Wasn't there one a few weeks ago saying Rayman was playable

Could this be the next; brawl is not delayed by a month and I put the Gamestop employee who told me in his place, backfire for Smashboards?

A pre-release typo makes this more legitimate to me, personally.
Heck typos make it gold in rare occasions. A few of these Fire Emblem GBA ones are exactly that. An example I know being the chapter "Imprisoner of Magic" spelled "Imrisoner of Magic" in the ending.

Forkball

It's pretty easy to act as 3 different sources on /v/ and gamefaqs.

True, but the first leaker has posted on Smashboards saying he has no relation with the other three. The third leak is obviously sloppy and low quality, but that doesn't deconfirm the first two.

I'm still very skeptical, and would love to see it deconfirmed, but we've seen too many leaks where people cried "FAKE" but it turned out to be 100% real. Pokemon XY especially. Just dig through the old leak thread and see the denial (from myself too admittedly). I want it to be fake, but I'm prepared for them to be real.

Top Bottom