• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect 4 details leak through survey

Sounds like Destiny with a story. Could be cool.

This is exactly what I was thinking..hopefully Bioware can deliver on this promise as Destiny looked promising, but the utter lack of a cohesive narrative made it feel empty and leaving a big hole in the game...

Call me intrigued. Definitely looking forward to E3 (even prior to this rumor) and even more so now.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ugh at the mako excitement.

I still maintain the mako stuff in ME1 was the single worst section of anything in the entire trilogy. Just awful.
It had a lot of potential, though. It was only bad because the controls were poor and the locations were usually the same cut+paste warehouse thing(killing incentive and motivation).

There was a lot they could have done with it, but they axed it for ME2 instead of trying to improve it. A lot of us were disappointed with that.

I just hope those Strike Team Real Time Missions is not just another map where you put flags of characters, wait 30 minutes and get meaningless rewards just as in DA:I. Dat F2P BS right there...
read the paragraph after that. You can tackle any of those missions yourself or even with 3 friends as co-op

Dresden

The next Mass Effect game takes place in the Helius Cluster (a cluster of 100s of solar systems in the Andromeda Galaxy), far removed by time and space from Commander Shepard’s heroic acts and the final events of the Mass Effect trilogy. You are a pathfinder, a combat trained but un-tested explorer leading an expedition into the Helius cluster to establish a new home for humanity. As you explore this sprawling series of solar systems (over 4x the size of Mass Effect 3), collecting resources and building colonies, you will encounter the savagery of untamed lands in the form of cut-throat outlaws and warring alien races.

Sounds good.

Along the way, you will encounter the remains of a once powerful and mysterious alien race, the Remnant, whose forgotten technology holds the key to gaining power in this region of the galaxy.

Wait...

As you uncover who the Remnant were, and the mysteries their ruins contain, you are drawn into a violent race to find the source of their forgotten technology that will determine the fate of humanity.

nooooo

Valnen

The multiplayer in ME3 is great. Glad to see it returning with improvements.

I hope my GTX 970 will be good enough for this game.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Yea, a lot of this lines up indeed.

SFSCl2B.gif

Hmmm, wonder how they'll be generating these hundreds of planets. I'd rather explore a dozen highly detailed areas than a hundred samey ones.

All of that both sounds probable and like something I would love to play. Hope it's all true^^ I actually got really deep into Mass Effect 3's horde mode, so here's to hoping its connection to single player is both optional (for those that want single player only) and rewarding (for those that do want to engage in it). Maybe playing multiplayer will reduce the need for those strike team resources and is just adding a new avenue for loot acquisition (which is the feeling I get from that description)^^

Damerman

Seamlessly Travel Through the Next Mass Effect Universe:

As you pilot your space ship, Tempest, across the 100s of solar systems that are seamlessly connected in the next Mass Effect, you will encounter new planets filled with valuable resources, intelligent life, conflict, and alien technology that all give you opportunities to increase the power of your character, your ship and your team so that you can build them into a force that perfectly suits your gameplay style. Transitions between activities, like flying your Tempest (space ship) across a solar system to land on a mineral rich planet, then jumping into your Mako (land vehicle) to explore the surface of planet, all happen smoothly without loading screens.

I'm supposed to believe all of this?

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
The getting singleplayer stuff from multi worries me if it's like ME3 where you have to do it to get the best ending. Otherwise sounds good. Remnants are totally protheans or human or reapers though lol

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
That was a nicely detailed OP, colour me excited.

I also think the Mako sections of ME were the worst part of the series. Spending 15 minutes trying to get up a hill, just to get to the same copy/paste prefab building, to have a 10 second shootout is not my idea of a good time.

Lakitu

st5fu
Hmmm, wonder how they'll be generating these hundreds of planets. I'd rather explore a dozen highly detailed areas than a hundred samey ones.

Feel the same. Rest of the information (except for War Table/Brotherhood style missions) is really great.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The more I read about this the more it sounds like a mixture between Dragon Age Inquisition & Assassins's Creed 3 in terms of sidestuff...

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Surely they are aware of how the "ancient forgotten race with superior tech" cliche sounds, especially considering the original trilogy plays on exactly that. This makes me hope that it actually will be quite different this time around. Still, it would have been nice if they skipped that part all together with the clean slate the have. Assuming any of this is true of course.

Yeul

If any of this turns out to be true then I'm sure it will be interesting. If they do go the real-time DA:I war table-esque mission route and include outposts and stuff I'll be interested to see their approach when implemented in a game like Mass Effect. I liked DA:I a lot but most of the complaints I've seen were the fetch quest, busy work criticisms (which granted, much was optional but did leave a lot of people fatigued I'm sure considering outcomes were inconsequential in many cases). On another note though if that ship name is accurate I like it! Tempest sounds really cool. Plus the armor we've seen in presentations does look like it grants itself to upgrades, I love customizing armor. At the moment with nothing else to go on my main concern is how they'll approach the ancient alien race/mysterious space technology angle again.

LycanXIII

Also, I can't wait until the 6th game where a Remant turns out to be alive and can be your squad mate if you preorder the game.

Sounds pretty good, let's hope they show something soon-ish.

Also I'm really glad they ditched the loading screens. Elevators, airlocks, etc. really helped maintain the illusion of one big universe.

Sounds very... busyworkish. Strike teams, fogs of war towers.. is this ubisoft's mass effect? EDIT: and the outposts from Far Cry. ehhhh

ehhhhhhhh

Kind of where I'm at with this info to be honest. Not really what I want from Mass Effect. I'm interested to hear more though.

Sirim

I was hoping for a more contained story in which you're not the savior or guide of humanity, but just someone who is important within the pocket of the more personal and contained story within the universe.

But people love space jesus stories it seems so I never really had my hopes up.

And if DA:I is any indication, Bioware loves playing it safe.

Damerman

Surely they are aware of how the "ancient forgotten race with superior tech" cliche sounds, especially considering the original trilogy plays on exactly that. This makes me hope that it actually will be quite different this time around. Still, it would have been nice if they skipped that part all together with the clean slate the have. Assuming any of this is true of course.

agreed...this ancient technology nonsense(the relays/citadel/reapers) already happened... don't do the same shit again.

I was hoping for a more contained story in which you're not the savior or guide of humanity, but just someone who is important within the pocket of the more personal and contained story within the universe.

But people love space jesus stories it seems so I never really had my hopes up.

agreed with this... anything that ends with "....fate of humanity" is an automatic turn off. I understand that this is an RPG, but i wish for once some one would go: "uh, why are we entrusting the future of our planet to this one guy? why can't we vote?"

RPG are about making important decisions, but important decisions don't always involve balancing the fate or a race or a planet.

That's exactly how I wanted the story/setting to go.

I'm so glad it's not a fucking prequel / playing in the same galaxy.

Though I hope there will still be big, futuristic alien cities to explore as they make it sound like it's a currently uninhabited region of space, like the Wild West or something.

Kuraudo

Banned
The idea of colonialism kind of puts me off, especially if the spaceship name and the use of arcane knowledge to repress the indigenous people is a sign of that being forefronted.

I'm glad it's far removed from the original trilogy, but none of that really excites me at the moment.

eot

Banned
The more I read about this the more it sounds like a mixture between Dragon Age Inquisition & Assassins's Creed 3 in terms of sidestuff...

I agree, and it's a bummer. I want a tight single player RPG, not a game filled with busywork and endless bars to fill like a mini-MMO.

Jigorath

Banned
As you explore planets throughout the Helius Cluster, you will encounter Khet Outposts. These outposts are optional combat experiences where you enter the outpost and fight off waves of enemies. Destroy Khet outposts to earn XP, rewards and thwart their growing power in the region. Your allies will reward you with praise and increased narrative options as you fight to remove the Khet presence from the region.
Optional Elite Remnant Vault Raids are scattered around the Helius Cluster located in special orbital facilities that are unlocked by Star Keys. Similar to the standard Remnant Vaults, you enter them to retrieve a special artifact which will trigger the vault defenses that arm traps, activate defense robots and change the architecture of the vault itself to stop you from escaping. However, Elite vaults ratchet up the difficulty of the encounter with increasingly powerful defense robots and traps, as well as roaming outlaws and deadly Khet patrols that are also in search of the elite artifacts. Elite Remnant vaults will test the limits of your combat and puzzle solving acumen, but with greater difficulty comes greater rewards. Gain rare loot, narrative acclaim and huge rewards for completing these daunting challenges.
When you encounter a Strike Team mission in the Single-Player mode, you can leave your Strike Team at their base and decide to tackle the mission yourself with your Multiplayer roster of characters. You also have the option of tackling the mission by yourself, or recruiting up to three friends to play with you. The more friends you bring, the greater the challenge and the greater the reward. These missions will play out using the Next Mass Effect’s multiplayer Horde mode (more details on this later). These missions will include a variety of thematically appropriate objectives, like defending a Settlement against Khet attacks, or recovering a Remnant artifact off of a planet before an outlaw gang gets there first. By taking an active role in strike team missions, you can earn special Single-player rewards in addition to the usual multiplayer specific characters, weapons, weapon mods, and pieces of equipment which can be customized between missions. Additionally, players who join another person’s Strike Team mission will receive bonus in-game currency and multiplayer XP for helping others with their missions.

Okay.

This all sounds terrible.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm a bit concerned about the Inquisition/Ubisoft-like grindy elements described.

On the other hand, the focus is deeply entrenched on exploration. You use blueprints/rare shit to expand the abilities and functions of your mako, ship, and characters (see: jetpacks, and I'm guessing hazard protection) which in turn let you explore areas and planets previously inaccessible.

So kind of like Mako landing on ME1, where planets had different hazard levels, but more extreme and a game objective being trying to find ways to combat those hazards. You've 100s of planets to land on, and part of the game's design is finding a way to do just that?

Top Bottom