• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft Looking For Developer To Bring Back Project Gotham Racing

skyfinch

ClosingADoor said:
I thought Turn 10 took over the Project Gotham Racing series? Apparently not. Well, for the better, since I like Forza more.

They already have enough on their plates with Forza. Besides, I would rather have both Forza and PGR within the same time frame. Don't want to have to wait a few years for each.

Raide

Go back to PG2 and carry on there. Way too many games with luxury sports cars roaming around. I want to be driving around in some family 4x4 trying to take 90o corners at 60. :lol

They need to bring back all the speed challenges and add some more driving skill challenges. Trying to hit 80 was a huge challenge for some of those crappy cars on offer. :D

Horns

The tools and design model seems to be in place from Bizzare. If MS is looking for someone to step in and follow it, it doesn't seem like it would take too long. If they want a new engine and design the game could be a while.

Send this over to United Front Games.

The original Hot Pursuit 2 PS2 developers and makers of Mod Nation Racers are ideal for PGR.

ClosingADoor said:
I thought Turn 10 took over the Project Gotham Racing series? Apparently not. Well, for the better, since I like Forza more.
Turn 10 have to release a pretty big game every two years, I doubt they have the man power to do more than Forza.

When Activision shuts down Bizarre Microsoft should help the people out of work form a new studio and begin working on PGR, sorta like Ruffian.

Seanspeed

Banned
I was under the impression that Turn 10 were taking over the PGR series, too.... :/ Huh.

If this isn't the case, then clearly they aren't even an option, cuz they'd easily be the best candidate. Despite Forza being closer to the sim-side of things, I think one of the things that Turn 10 have done best with the series is make it accessible and fun for the casual gamer. I think Turn 10 would do a great job making a more arcade-type racer, as they seem to know how to cater to a car-loving, casual gaming audience.

Turn 10 must be busy with something else if they aren't doing PGR5. But I do think its kinda interesting that the game isn't already in development by somebody. PGR4 was released in 2007, after all. If a developer hasn't even been established yet, we're looking at another year and a half, two years before we get PGR5. :/

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Microsoft is in talks with several European independent studios to bring the Project Gotham Racing series back to the Xbox 360, Develop can reveal.

independent European studios that makes racing games huh , let see what is available

Asobo Studio (Fuel) - France
Eutechnyx ( Ferrari challenge , Nascar ) - UK
Sumo Digital ( Outrun Online Arcade ) - UK
Milestone ( WRC 2010 ) - Italy
Bugbear Entertainment ( FlatOut ) - Finland
SimBin Studios ( GTR/Volvo ) - Sweden

any other ?

Sumo or Bugbear can do it I think.

Valru said:
what about midtown madness????????????

not before Rallisport Challenge 3 :(

Router said:
VROOOM :(

1287947753_e5b47ddfed_o.gif
how many generations before in-game footage looks like this?

LiK

Totobeni said:
independent European studios that makes racing games huh , let see what is available

any other ?

Damn you, Rallisport Challenge was so awesome. Thanks for reminding me. :(

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Totobeni said:

any other ?

Are Bugbear even still in business?

They haven't released a game in like 4 years.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PGR is my favourite racing series ever and PGR4 is highly underrated as it's such a complete package.

Without Bizarre, it will be PGR in name only.

mr stroke

Raide said:
Go back to PG2 and carry on there. Way too many games with luxury sports cars roaming around. I want to be driving around in some family 4x4 trying to take 90o corners at 60. :lol

They need to bring back all the speed challenges and add some more driving skill challenges. Trying to hit 80 was a huge challenge for some of those crappy cars on offer. :D

+1

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kenak said:
It's not like Microsoft has much to lose, considering PGR4's lackluster sales. The bar is set pretty low at the moment.

They sent PGR4 to die. This is mostly their fault.

I'd say Sumo can make a good racing game, but I would want PGR 5 to be something unique instead of more of the same but now with bikes.

TheOddOne

Seanspeed said:
I was under the impression that Turn 10 were taking over the PGR series, too.... :/ Huh.

If this isn't the case, then clearly they aren't even an option, cuz they'd easily be the best candidate. Despite Forza being closer to the sim-side of things, I think one of the things that Turn 10 have done best with the series is make it accessible and fun for the casual gamer. I think Turn 10 would do a great job making a more arcade-type racer, as they seem to know how to cater to a car-loving, casual gaming audience.

Turn 10 must be busy with something else if they aren't doing PGR5. But I do think its kinda interesting that the game isn't already in development by somebody. PGR4 was released in 2007, after all. If a developer hasn't even been established yet, we're looking at another year and a half, two years before we get PGR5. :/
All signs pointed at T10 was going to pick it up.

Dunno how I feel about this :|

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Diablohead said:
I'd say Sumo can make a good racing game, but I would want PGR 5 to be something unique instead of more of the same but now with bikes.
Sumo have not made a single good game.

They are a port house. Nothing more.

LCfiner

I don’t think I could go back to PGR if it remains at 30 fps. playing Forza 3 and GT5:p plus some PC racers the last couple years… man, they just look so much better at 60.

Sean

Banned
Over three years later and they're just getting around to this now?

If MS can wait another month after Bond flops, I'm sure there'll be a new studio of Bizzare Creations people after Activision fires em all.

TheOddOne

Its funny that people say MS should have bought Bizzare, because they actually did want to buy them but Bizzare did not want it because ''they would be making PGR forever''. Also PGR4 development did not go smooth with MGS, they even had their dev time slashed by a couple of weeks.

S1kkZ said:
i still dont get why they closed/sold all the studios (except the guys that did halo wars).
bizarre was a perfect fit for ms (yep, the sales of pgr4 where bad but thats what you get when you release a game 4 days after halo 3 with ZERO marketing).

because owning studios can be a money pit. Yeah I know people love Bizarre, but PGR4 sold bad (i know MS' advertising sucked, but still) and Blur apparently sold like ass. You want control of the IPs and the talent. You don't need the studio for that. Like someone else mentioned MS can just help fund some upstart featuring former Bizarre employees for much less cost.

I'm all for it if the new studio can come up with something fresh and still keep the style aspect both in the gameplay. Bought every game except PGR4 because the demo played too similar to the last ones outside weather effects and bikes. Sick of moderately updated sequels already.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
LiK said:
I would say the same thing for Goldeneye Wii but people who have fond memories for the brand will probably have more interest in it than a new IP.

Well there was only one Goldeneye 007 game, and it came out almost 15 years ago. There is a huge nostalgia factor plus the association with a huge brand. The fourth and last PGR game, an incremental advancement on the third, was received very poorly. The PGR brand is not strong enough to carry a new game without the original developer and with so many other racing names on the scene.

watership

Valru said:
what about midtown madness????????????

fuck you MGS !

The guy who runs Forza, Dan Greenawalt, worked on both Midtown Madness 2 and 3. Forza 4 city action racing game confirmed.

sega4ever

cjelly said:
Sumo have not made a single good game.

They are a port house. Nothing more.

i agree, whats up with sumo getting credit for out run games when they only racing games they developed are Driver 76 and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. let them do what they do best, porting AM2's games to consoles.

Grampasso

Uh... does Batman has anything to do with this?
Also, why the capital letters in the thread title?
Moreover, who am I?
AAAAAAAAAAAAH!

[/morning madness mode]

amar212

OK, it sounds plausiable and it is probably true.

Having European developer is a bonus too. However, I can't think of any good European studio that is not linked to Sony and god enough to deliver a title on scale of next PGR.

Eutechnyx comes to mind, but they're occupied with their business with Activision at this moment.

Also, I don't think this whole thing is related to present generation - it has to be linked to next-gen hardware. If they even find studio to start making game in early 2011, it will not be done before 2013.

And in 2013 we're already on NextBox territory.

Great news though, I'd apply for a job as PGR Game Designer, have been developing my own view on PGR-esque game for almost 5 years now. And I can assure you it would be radicaly addicitive experience for all car/racing lovers :D

Cesar

Banned
Nirolak said:
Well, we'll find out in a week now that we get UK numbers, but I was referring to Blur.

I'll come back and declare Bizarre a true master of beating the odds though if Bond sells well.

You're forgetting The Club, the game they made before Blur, which was also a megabomb.

The series always had a terrible name. Why revive it? Bizzarre probably won't be around anymore after their bombs within a year, so no wonder they haven't approached Activision about it.

szaromir

Banned
amar212 said:
Having European developer is a bonus too. However, I can't think of any good European studio that is not linked to Sony and god enough to deliver a title on scale of next PGR.
Ah yes, teh powerhouses of Sony... What?

What is the difference between PGR and Forza? I thought both are simulations. IS PGR more like NFS, then?
PGR is like neither PGR nor NFS. It's an arcade, but you have to be very technical with your driving unlike in cheerful NFS.

TheOddOne

Warm Machine said:
Send this over to United Front Games.

The original Hot Pursuit 2 PS2 developers and makers of Mod Nation Racers are ideal for PGR.
Nah, I rather not have long loading times.

Top Bottom