• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Overwatch hero unveiling on Monday, likely Sombra (support sniper) [Nope]

Rockyrock

So what's the point of someone being affiliated with 'good' or 'evil' in this game?

Is there any or just lore purposes?

Team comps can be mad up of any selection of characters so what's the story behind these conflicting groups finding on the same side?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So what's the point of someone being affiliated with 'good' or 'evil' in this game?

Team comps can be mad up of any selection of characters so what's the story behind these conflicting groups finding on the same side?

It's just for the plotline. You can play as anyone.

I want to see what evil Bastion looks like. Or evil Tracer.
...Evil Winston?
One of the dev updates had them talking about considering customizable "loadouts" where you could alter your abilities if you wanted (after unlocking them), but they scrapped it because they said it made it hard to know what a character was capable of at a glance when there were variants running around, and the game is already very fast paced. There's also the fact that people can switch at any time, which made even more things to keep track of because you have to know all characters and all variant possibilities which they said was too much.

I could see some restricted ones coming out in the future though, like maybe variant 1 or variant 2 and those are your choices (no "customizing"). It would still be difficult to convey which is which though.

TF2 kept it smart early on, with clear weapon differences, but has become a bit of trainwreck that's more of a party than a fight. They even reached a point where cosmetics like hats gave bonuses (albeit only functioning with a full set of items equipped), which was a pretty low period for balance in the game.

So, good decision by Blizzard. I hope they stick to it.
We need more naruto characters like genji

Genji is actually a Metal Gear rep.

KarmaCow

It's just for flavour, like the little bits of banter between characters. It doesn't inform team composition or match ups.

LordofPwn

I hope this is dead wrong

because I didnt get tickets to the theater thing and all my friends are going....... :(

my theater didn't get enough people, and i'm not driving 4+ hours to get to the nearest one. i hope they post the panel stuff later. disappointed with lack of free swag more than anything.

my theater didn't get enough people, and i'm not driving 4+ hours to get to the nearest one. i hope they post the panel stuff later. disappointed with lack of free swag more than anything.

i didnt think my local one was going to get enough. It needed about 20 more like less than an hour before the deadline. Checked back a little after the deadline and all 155 tickets had been sold. I believe the goal was 80 something

Im just really hoping its not free exclusive chaaracter skins or something like that. If its free swag like they had at PAX, im ok missing out on it

Dreavus

I want to see what evil Bastion looks like. Or evil Tracer.
...Evil Winston?

TF2 kept it smart early on, with clear weapon differences, but has become a bit of trainwreck that's more of a party than a fight. They even reached a point where cosmetics like hats gave bonuses (albeit only functioning with a full set of items equipped), which was a pretty low period for balance in the game.

So, good decision by Blizzard. I hope they stick to it.

Genji is actually a Metal Gear rep.

Oh my god yes, the "set bonuses" were a disaster. The worst part is they had to keep them around for a while because people had ponied up cash to get them already.

FAKE EDIT: I was checking the tf2 wiki and it looks like they finally removed the stat-granting set bonuses back in 2013. Still a good three years of them being in the game though.

Dr. Buni

Good. I'm tired of older female characters not looking old (fighting games). Even OW kinda falls into that.. both tracer and mei having nice anti aging strats.
Tracer is 26, though... Well, in theory, she might be older but her body doesn't seem to get past 26 because of the time shenanigans.

And 30 (36? something like that) isn't old, so I see little problem with Mei not looking "old".

Good. I'm tired of older female characters not looking old (fighting games). Even OW kinda falls into that.. both tracer and mei having nice anti aging strats.
OW definitely falls into that, and if we can have a chubby non sexualized hero, I hope we can have an older woman that looks her age

Dreavus

Just for fun and to feed into their over arching story, which the actual multiplayer game/matches doesn't really advance.

If they get a few more villains in here I could see them putting in a "good versus evil" weekly brawl mode though. Just like old school Sentinels vs Scourge heroes in WC3 Dota.

Oh my god yes, the "set bonuses" were a disaster. The worst part is they had to keep them around for a while because people had ponied up cash to get them already.

FAKE EDIT: I was checking the tf2 wiki and it looks like they finally removed the stat-granting set bonuses back in 2013. Still a good three years of them being in the game though.

Oh, interesting. I'd swear there were in last I played... but that wasn't too recently. Time flies.

The early days of weird items worked OK for TF2, but as it edged closer to free-to-play the balance got really weird. It became more about collecting than fighting.

Overwatch would be very wise to avoid items entirely. Same goes for variant heroes. Balancing the new heroes will be tough enough, I think.
Just for fun and to feed into their over arching story, which the actual multiplayer game/matches doesn't really advance.

If they get a few more villains in here I could see them putting in a "good versus evil" weekly brawl mode though. Just like old school Sentinels vs Scourge heroes in WC3 Dota.

Fun modes though, those would be an awesome addition. I'd love a good vs. evil mode. Though they'll need some good variety in heroes for that to work right.

I mean, the fact both snipers we currently have under are under the Defense bracket by default seems reason enough. Support bracket is lacking and a sniper could fit that mold relatively easy.

It really doesn't matter that the snipers are under defense. All it does is lead someone to incorrectly conclude that widowmaker is bad on offense.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
yep, Solidier 76 used to be a blonde stud, now he is white haired (receding too) grumpy man.
Women in this game are not penalized for aging, thanks nanomachines and cold weather maybe.
Wait what? 30 years since Overwatch was disbanded?

It's actually only 6 years ago. He just aged terribly. https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/19809396

I remember the day Jack Morrison died. It was the day the world lost a hero.

Like other members of the so-called "Overwatch Generation," I spent my childhood looking up to Morrison. He taught me that heroes were real. He made me believe that even I could be one. When he died under mysterious circumstances six years ago, I felt as if a part of my childhood died with him.

This is why everything is still sort of broken down.

Mind, Overwatch *started* longer ago than that.

Toxi

Banned
It's not been 30 years since Overwatch disbanded; Winston's 29 years old.

That said, Pharah's 32, so her mother is probably at least 50. If she looks like she's in her 20s... That's video games for you. :-/

OW definitely falls into that, and if we can have a chubby non sexualized hero, I hope we can have an older woman that looks her age

They'll probably get around that by making Sombra an omnic/robot that had Fareeha's memory/personality/essence downloaded into it. Or just go super lazy and go the Genji cyborg route.

Heroes never die after all.

Dr. Buni

Adding a new character and more maps would help me buy this game for 60. .
There will be more than just one new hero, so I think the game isn't all that expensive in the long run.
They'll probably get around that by making Sombra an omnic/robot that had Fareeha's memory/personality/essence downloaded into it. Or just go super lazy and go the Genji cyborg route. .
If that happens they better give her an human alt skin. Like Genji's.

LordofPwn

i didnt think my local one was going to get enough. It needed about 20 more like less than an hour before the deadline. Checked back a little after the deadline and all 155 tickets had been sold. I believe the goal was 80 something

Im just really hoping its not free exclusive chaaracter skins or something like that. If its free swag like they had at PAX, im ok missing out on it

if you would have ordered tickets and the event didnt get enough people you would have been refunded. i was.

So is it 30 years or 6 years? I think they have been fighting for 30 years or that's what the war lasted and it finished 6 years ago.

Their job was to save earth from the rogue omnics, which they did quite successfully. Over the next 30 years, Overwatch grew to be a vast coalition of the world's top soldiers and scientists. Though it was revered across the planet, as time went on accusations of human rights abuses and internal conspiracy tore the organization apart. Now, with terrorism rampant, inequality commonplace, and corrupt companies unchecked, one thing is clear: the world needs heroes.

Chindogg

So is it 30 years or 6 years? I think they have been fighting for 30 years or that's what the war lasted and it finished 6 years ago.

Overwatch has existed for 30 years.

76, Rein, Reaper, Tor, Phara's mom were the founders.

Overwatch disbanded 6 years ago.

Many members have come and go from Overwatch.

This isn't hard to figure out.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Snipe your allies to give them boosts.

Squire

Banned
It really doesn't matter that the snipers are under defense. All it does is lead someone to incorrectly conclude that widowmaker is bad on offense.

Eh, I understand that and appreciate that all the characters are multi-use, but starting brackets are still useful and Support is unarguably still lacking. We have three supports, we could use more, and a sniper is a natural fit. *shrug*

Haly

I don't even think of Symmetra as a true support. She feels much more "Defensive" than "Supportive".

Support category is anemic as all hell.

Haly

Shield and spawn portals aren't support enough?

The shield is minor (Torb gives 3x the EHP she does) but the teleporter (and the laser turrets)... that's, to me, "zone control", and "zone control" is the theme of all the Defense heroes.

Top Bottom