• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Wii U controller (analog sticks)?

You guys are in the minority though (well, since this is a Nintendo thread, you will be in the majority). Gamers want graphics to keep moving forward. PC gaming is already ahead enough to make console games look slightly dated, and if the Wii U has similar graphics to PS3, then 3 years from now the games will look like an eyesore, compared to PC games. Consoles will always play catchup with PC, and if the general gaming community sees that PC gaming is way ahead in graphics, then a lot of them will just switch to PC gaming and forget about consoles.

Nextbox and PS4 (if Sony doesn't bleed itself to death) will most likely have better graphics than the Wii U, much better graphics. Third parties would probably shift their work to those consoles, just like it happened this gen.

Stop reading right there. I'm a gamer.

Vinci

Danish
You guys are in the minority though (well, since this is a Nintendo thread, you will be in the majority).

Well, either a Nintendo thread or something more closely approximating the real world. Most gamers don't care tremendously much about a substantial rise in graphics power. If it happens, great, but it's not something that keeps them awake late into the night.

You guys are in the minority though (well, since this is a Nintendo thread, you will be in the majority). Gamers want graphics to keep moving forward. PC gaming is already ahead enough to make console games look slightly dated, and if the Wii U has similar graphics to PS3, then 3 years from now the games will look like an eyesore, compared to PC games. Consoles will always play catchup with PC, and if the general gaming community sees that PC gaming is way ahead in graphics, then a lot of them will just switch to PC gaming and forget about consoles.

Nextbox and PS4 (if Sony doesn't bleed itself to death) will most likely have better graphics than the Wii U, much better graphics. Third parties would probably shift their work to those consoles, just like it happened this gen.

Eyesore? Are you fucking kidding me?

Well, I was referring to PC gaming, specifically.
But even then, did they move to those consoles because they were HD, or because that was where third party games were?

Certainly wasn't the HD considering how little HDTVs penetrated the market back then. I'd say it was the games as it has always been.

KillGore

Sweeping generalizations like that? Loaded assumptions? Basically saying you're not a gamer if you don't want graphics to improve.

Where did I say you wouldn't be a gamer if you don't want graphics to improve? Plus, I'm sure you do want graphics to improve, in fact I'm sure most if you are having wet dreams thinking about HD Mario, HD Zelda, so please don't give me that bullshit.

Well, either a Nintendo thread or something more closely approximating the real world. Most gamers don't care tremendously much about a substantial rise in graphics power. If it happens, great, but it's not something that keeps them awake late into the night.

IGN poll says otherwise, and yes, they are still gamers :p

Terrell

Just like the Xbox and Gamecube killed the PS2.

Where did I say you wouldn't be a gamer if you don't want graphics to improve? Plus, I'm sure you do want graphics to improve, in fact I'm sure most if you are having wet dreams thinking about HD Mario, HD Zelda, so please don't give me that bullshit.

Hidden assumptions, bro. I can't wait to see nintendo's franchises in HD. But HD isn't the end all. There's a reason why GoW3 was my least liked GoW.

It's perfectly possible that the Wii U will be capable of graphics much more impressive than the PS3. It's, after all, many years' tech newer and we don't have confirmed spec yet. And where this idea comes from that Nintendo consoles are traditionally underpowered comes from I'll never know - the SNES, N64 and GCN all compared well with their opposition. The Wii's the exception, not the rule.

KillGore

Just like the Xbox and Gamecube killed the PS2.

I hope you know I was talking about a difference in graphics much larger than GCN and Xbox had with the PS2. Like DragonKnight said, it needs to run these next gen engines, if not, it's going to be the same story like the Wii.

Terrell

I hope you know I was talking about a difference in graphics much larger than GCN and Xbox had with the PS2. Like DragonKnight said, it needs to run these next gen engines, if not, it's going to be the same story like the Wii.

So you know the specs of all next-gen systems then to know what the difference in power is for all of them?

I take it that you don't frequent the WiiU speculation thread much. Word there from a guy in the know is that if PS4/720 specs remain as they are then we will see a difference even smaller than the ps2/gcn/xbox gen.

KillGore

IGN is a pinprick in the ocean of the gaming population today. To pretend otherwise is to ignore reality.

I'm pretty sure that if you poll all major gaming sites that allow discussions of all gaming systems, you'll find similar results in these polls. I don't see why IGN gamers would necessarily be any different then let's say "gametrailers" or "N4g" or "Kotaku". I'm aware gaf is known for laughing and mocking these people from those sites, but most of us came from sites like those.

So you know the specs of all next-gen systems then to know what the difference in power is for all of them?

Jesus, don't you know what a hypothetical scenario is, I never said these consoles will have such a huge difference, but I do believe that at least one of them will be at least more powerful than the Wii U, how much? I don't know.

I'm pretty sure that if you poll all major gaming sites that allow discussions of all gaming systems, you'll find similar results in these polls. I don't see why IGN gamers would necessarily be any different then let's say "gametrailers" or "N4g" or "Kotaku". I'm aware gaf is known for laughing and mocking these people from those sites, but most of us came from sites like those.

You mean the same sites that predicted the DS and Wii would be commercial failures?

Vinci

Danish

I'm talking about the entire gaming audience, most of which has never even heard of IGN or GAF. We are the enthusiasts. By rule, we are a minority.

Roo

phfEV.jpg

KillGore

You mean the same sites that predicted the DS and Wii would be commercial failures?

What does that have to do with anything? Casual gamers barely visit these types of sites, and a huge chunk of Wii and DS sales were from casual gamers. We are talking about interests from the gaming community, and the polls show that the general community is interested in better graphics. The results from polls are mostly from core gamers.

Gravijah

What does that have to do with anything? Casual gamers barely visit these types of sites, and a huge chunk of Wii and DS sales were from casual gamers. We are talking about interests from the gaming community, and the polls show that the general community is interested in better graphics.

casual gamers are gamers.

Eyesore? Are you fucking kidding me?

Well I will say that most games that I have played on the Wii have in fact been eye sores for me. Now, I haven't experienced them on Dolphin but I plan to and have high expectations that the eye sore issue will no longer be an issue. But yes, games on the Wii for a great many of us were and are eye sores when you compare the 360/PS3/PC versions. In three years from now, I don't see whats shocking to say that a PS3 game will also be an eye sore.

Gravijah

Well I will say that most games that I have played on the Wii have in fact been eye sores for me. Now, I haven't experienced them on Dolphin but I plan to and have high expectations that the eye sore issue will no longer be an issue. But yes, games on the Wii for a great many of us were and are eye sores when you compare the 360/PS3/PC versions. In three years from now, I don't see whats shocking to say that a PS3 game will also be an eye sore.

i am so thankful i don't have this problem. i can appreciate games for what they look like without comparing them to other games.
Most casual gamers don't visit these sites just to answer a poll

which is one of the problems with polls.

No words, man. Each to his own.

In three years from now, I don't see whats shocking to say that a PS3 game will also be an eye sore.

Weird way to look(hehehehehe) at it.

I don't see any way I would think God of War III was an "eyesore" no matter what games we see three years down the road.

Will I think it looks as good???

Maybe, maybe not but it won't look like shit to me.

Terrell

Jesus, don't you know what a hypothetical scenario is, I never said these consoles will have such a huge difference, but I do believe that at least one of them will be at least more powerful than the Wii U, how much? I don't know.

I do know what a hypothetical scenario is. But you didn't give me one, you gave a definitive statement and used it to prove a point that more graphically-advanced consoles will steal all potential buyers of the Wii U away. A point which is historically inaccurate, first of all, and a point which you're trying to make about the current generation without any information to confirm how outclassed Nintendo will be.

KillGore

I think most casual gamers don't visit those sites at all. Which is the point.

No that isn't the point, my point is that this gen has shown that most third parties go where the core gamers are and this generation core gamers picked PS3/360 to buy these third party games, on the other hand we would see some "core" games being released on wii that didn't sell as much as PS3/360 versions did, even though it had almost double the install base. I'm saying core gamers like graphics, as shown from these internet polls. I'm not talking about the gaming community as a whole, just core gamers. You guys are dismissing these polls because they don't account for the whole audience but it mostly accounts for the one I'm talking about, core gamers.

In the end, what I'm saying is that if there WERE such a huge gap between wii U and Nextbox then a lot of core gamers will move to Nextbox and third parties will probably follow as well.

Seventh

Without actually seeing it in person, I think the screen will be fine for most people. Obviously having a super high resolution screen would be preferable, but I don't think it will be necessary. With phones and tablets, it's nice to have a high resolution screen because you're constantly staring at it while using the device. But with the Wii U controller, chances are you won't be constantly looking at the screen for most games. I'd guess that the majority of games will only require you to look at the screen for a few seconds each time unless you're streaming the entire game to the controller. And even then, I don't think we know if game streaming will be limited to select games that have been programmed with streaming in mind, or if you can use it with all games. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Roo

I do know what a hypothetical scenario is. But you didn't give me one, you gave a definitive statement and used it to prove a point that more graphically-advanced consoles will steal all potential buyers of the Wii U away. A point which is historically inaccurate, first of all, and a point which you're trying to make about the current generation without any information to confirm how outclassed Nintendo will be.

Just let it go, man.
E3 is around the corner

Vinci

Danish
No that isn't the point, my point is that this gen has shown that most third parties go where the core gamers are and this generation core gamers picked PS3/360 to buy these third party games, on the other hand we would see some "core" games being released on wii that didn't sell as much as PS3/360 versions did, even though it had almost double the install base. I'm saying core gamers like graphics, as shown from these internet polls. I'm not talking about the gaming community as a whole, just core gamers.

Yeah, let's not pay too much attention to this generation. It was horribly screwed up in general and was very different from all prior gens before it. Generally speaking, companies go where the market leader is. In this case, they couldn't because they'd fostered (with an immense amount of money and talent) capabilities for HD development based on what MS and Sony were doing. The Wii caught them off-guard, and they spent the first couple of years believing it would collapse any second.

KillGore

No I didn't, the first time I mentioned it I said "most likely" I never said "definitely" and the second time I said I didn't know what kind of gap would it have between them. I'm saying that if there is a big enough gap between Nextbox and Wii U then that could spell trouble for Nintendo (third party wise) especially when they are trying to recapture the core gamers, since most casual gamers have shifted to tablets and smartphones.

Diablos54

Given all this talk about 'eyesores', can some of you even play a game from before last gen without wanting to scratch your eyes out? Cause I've seen a lot of people say they can't even play Wii games, I'd hate to think what would happen if you tried to play a PS1 game or something...

Weird way to look(hehehehehe) at it.

I don't see any way I would think God of War III was an "eyesore" no matter what games we see three years down the road.

Will I think it looks as good???

Maybe, maybe not but it won't look like shit to me.

Depends. I still think Link to the Past is a gorgeous game ad always will. I think Rayman Origins is a beautiful game especially on PC/Vita and always will. I think Super Mario Galaxy is the best looking title on the Wii and am hopeful I'll be even more impressed with it via dolphin. But when you see a game that has a version on the PC/360/PS3 and then see it on the Wii, its a huge disappointment.

KillGore

Given all this talk about 'eyesores', can some of you even play a game from before last gen without wanting to scratch your eyes out? Cause I've seen a lot of people say they can't even play Wii games, I'd hate to think what would happen if you tried to play a PS1 game or something...

Definitely depends.

SMW1.jpg

Super Mario World still looks amazing to this day but some games kinda make me not want to play them because of their graphics (can't think of any examples right now)

Edit: Oh, Final Fantasy 7. I much prefer playing FF8 or FF9 because they look so much better and not have human characters made by 5 blocks

ffcloud.jpg

IMO

snesfreak

Banned
Depends on if it's 3D or 2D.
2D PS1 games can be gorgeous.
3D...not so much (usually.)
It's the same thing with the DS.

Definitely depends.

SMW1.jpg

Super Mario World still looks amazing to this day but some games kinda make me not want to play them because of their graphics (can't think of any examples right now)

Edit: Oh, Final Fantasy 7. I much prefer playing FF8 or FF9 because they look so much better and not have human characters made by 5 blocks

ffcloud.jpg

IMO

Agreed. 2d top down games age much better. SMW will always be gorgeous. Many games this gen will not. I will take Zelda II any day visually over Skyward Sword. The last true gorgeous Zelda was WW and before that it was LttP.

Vinci

Danish
Wind Waker, for all its flaws, is still probably - pound for pound - the best looking game ever made. The fact that it still looks as good as it does, even after all this time, is just astounding.

Top Bottom