• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Rumor* New Xbox one elite controller incoming(V2)?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm not sure if I like the idea of a longer travel with the paddles. I like the responsiveness of the short travel.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Im on board with more options being better but is changing out batteries really any quicker than plugging in a cord and continuing on with your game? Changing batteries is more of a hassle for me.

My couch is very far away from my console which is in the entertainment center. Replacing batteries is instant for me as I would need at the very least an outlet with a usb charger and cable long enough to reach the couch. Plus as my dual shock 3s have taught me. The internal batteries degrade and die over time.

So will I be able to physically switch the X/Y and A/B buttons on the front to Nintendo layout? And have the config on the controller send the correct button press to my PC? I know I could configure my standard Xbox controller to do this in Steam but it’s a pain for every game and the physical layout still throws me off. Thanks.

Memnoch

The Elite is the best controller I've ever had in my 35 years of gaming. I bought the cronusmax plus just so I can use it with my ps4 pro as well as my X. I love the quality of the thing. I will definitely buy V2.

Rourkey

Why go with a sealed battery makes no sense to me on a premium device, at least with the standard one you can swap to a rechargeable one if you must, also the switch to usb c seems a bit silly unless micro usb is being phased out by all device manufacturers?

//DEVIL//

Why go with a sealed battery makes no sense to me on a premium device, at least with the standard one you can swap to a rechargeable one if you must, also the switch to usb c seems a bit silly unless micro usb is being phased out by all device manufacturers?

what planet u lives in ? these days if ur device isnt type c then you are using old tech. all new devices are switching even phones

CRAIG667

The problem with 'in-built' batteries is that once they die you then have to dismantle your controller in order to replace and that is if you can find a suitable replacement to begin with.

It really annoys me that my DS4's will one day face this stupid fate.

People who act like having the CHOICE whether or not to use rechargeable is a bad thing are on another wavelength to me altogether.

cHaOs667

Im on board with more options being better but is changing out batteries really any quicker than plugging in a cord and continuing on with your game? Changing batteries is more of a hassle for me.
Where should I plug the other end of the cord? I sit over 2m away from my X1X and it's much, much faster to change the batteries than to stand up and plug in a cord.

Unchangeable batteries would be a clear deal breaker for me.

Adam_802

lol dont people always criticize MS for using AAs in their controllers? now they migh have a built-in battery, and people complain more

goldenpp72

lol dont people always criticize MS for using AAs in their controllers? now they migh have a built-in battery, and people complain more

I prefer AA batteries myself. I've had move controllers and PS3 pads die early and it's annoying. I'd rather buy a set of AA rechargeable batteries and never have to worry about it again. Basically you can't please everyone.

Last edited:
I think i can live without a new one for now. Especially if they do dumb things like make it not work on the next console to come.

Iced Arcade

"Rechargeable batteries, undetachable" is a negative to me. I like having rechargeable battery packs that can eventually be replaced. Taking a few steps back with this one

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Undetachable battieries is a negative indeed. Curious to see if the new additions will warrant an upgrade. I guess not. Luckily my Elite controller is still going strong. Such an amazing controller.

Södy

Absolutely. I will never understand the love for having to swap out batteries. Yes is has the advantage of never needing to charge the pad if you have unlimited batteries, but it is far more inconvenient to do so than to just charge the one internal battery. I got a XB1S for my mrs christmas gift and we have gone through 6 AA's already on one controller. Paying £20 for good rechargeables and keeping them charged isn't much better either, because you then have multiple devices to charge instead of one. In my view the benefits of having removeable batteries does not outweigh the negatives.

Problem is, the battery is always empty in the middle of a game. Swapping batteries is a job of 10 seconds max. Better than playing the rest of the session wired.

Problem is, the battery is always empty in the middle of a game. Swapping batteries is a job of 10 seconds max. Better than playing the rest of the session wired.
Yeah this argument always sounds so silly to me. It takes seconds to swap the batteries. You can have a handful of batteries already charged and ready to go. And when the battery begins to lose it's ability to hold a charge, it's not even an issue. You can change the batteries yourself. It sounds so incredibly lazy to me that people would argue that removable batteries are an inconvenience.

Redshirt

Banned
I'd prefer a choice with the batteries, but I actually play wired more often than not.

I own two day one Elites. Not sure I'll buy another. Love the grip and paddles, but the build quality was suspect. I'd like to see higher-quality switches as well.

Now if it only came in other colors/designs. Xbox sports some of the coolest controllers and for the first time in my life I am collecting controllers and not using them. Have a few now but the two I won’t use is the Sea of thieves controller and the volcano shadow. Neither have been powered on and sit in the box.

The elite controller I would use for sure, just kinda over black plain controllers.

Fox Mulder

Internal battery blows, my most hated thing about the dualshocks. They won't last forever and need charging more frequently than the couple of recharageable AA batteries I've rotated in my xb1 controller for at least a year.

Who's to say the current controller won't carry over?

It might do, but most controllers in history haven't been compatible with new console generations. Though it would be nice for current peripherals to carry over.

The next Xbox though, I imagine there will be a new updated controller with new features. Probably a dedicated media share button and maybe a couple other minor tweaks. Then an Elite version to go with it.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
It might do, but most controllers in history haven't been compatible with new console generations. Though it would be nice for current peripherals to carry over.

The next Xbox though, I imagine there will be a new updated controller with new features. Probably a dedicated media share button and maybe a couple other minor tweaks. Then an Elite version to go with it.

Everything that Microsoft has been saying/doing recently leads me to believe that Xbox One controllers will be compatible with a next gen Xbox. I'm not even sure there will be much of a redesign for a next gen controller anyway. Maybe some minor tweaks or even integrating some of the Elite features into the standard design (albeit in a less "premium feeling" way)...

Personally I'd like to see them put a gyroscope in the next Xbox controller. I think for aiming in games (which most have) motion controls can improve the experience if done right.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Hopefully shows up at gamescom.

Not a fan of the battery choice on such a high end device. Eventually the battery will go and that sucks I can't just swap out some AAs.

But I effing love my elite controller. Best thing made this gen. Id marry it if I could.

Vitacat

I'd be interested in buying this new Elite if it comes out.

I love my current Elite overall, although the first one I had needed to be sent back. It's not a perfect controller, but it's overall the best I've used.

Last edited:
Surely that is only an issue beyond the products normal lifespan, so for preservation rather than a normal usage? It only makes sense for those who wish their device to long outlast its shelf life and so not a concern for most people. Swapping out batteries is a concern for everyone. Very firmly in camp 'please have one fixed rechargable battery'.

Not really, my second PS3 controller died probably after a year and a half, complete dud. Also with PS4 I find its battery empties pretty quickly compared to the Xbox (which is weird since rechargeable batteries should be good no?)

Team AA's!

splattered

I've hesitated buying into an elite style controller this whole time... If this is a good upgrade to the current I'll probably go ahead and just get it. Non removable batteries would suck though

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I used rechargable NICAD batteries on my Xbox One controller, that way I can charge them anytime without swapping batteries.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Integrated battery wouldn't be a problem for me so long as it's a decent quality/capacity...and for a $150 controller it should be.

Top Bottom