• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NGP 1st party launch lineup revealed and launching this year before Japan

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
cw_sasuke said:
Uncharted 3 and Uncharted NGP launchin so close to each other seems weird though....

I agree. As much as I like Uncharted, I don't think I'd derive much enjoyment from playing one at the same time as or right after the other. How different could they really be from each other?

Duffyside

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
I agree. As much as I like Uncharted, I don't think I'd derive much enjoyment from playing one at the same time as or right after the other. How different could they really be from each other?
Are you saying you don't plan on playing Uncharted 1 and 2 before 3 releases this November? I... I can't even fathom such thinking!

slider

slider said:
Wow, that's interesting if true. Let me see if I can find a pic to go with the Uncharted rumour...

2i0c5qr.jpg

KAL2006

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
Great 1st party launch lineup, just like PSP before it. Kind of weird how Sony always nails handheld launches but never delivers when it comes to home consoles.

Yeah, PSP had a pretty decent launch with:
Twisted Metal Head On
WipeOut Pure
Ape Escape
Untold Legends
Hot Shots Golf
and 3rd party games like FIFA, Tiger Woods, Spiderman 2, Ridge Racer

plainr_

gofreak said:
Jolt is a UK site. That said, they sound far from certain, and I'd be amazed if it was remotely true. I still remember David Reeves or Deering from SCEE (effectively) even saying PS3 would launch in Europe first, and of course we know how that turned out. So that makes me very skeptical of anything until things are firmly announced, not to mention retail rumours about what 'could' happen :p

Oops, my mistake. Launching in Europe first is even more surprising. However, I think it would be nice for a change if the first batch of NGP's did go to Europe first.

At the PSP2 press show they showed a Japan hot shots and its missing from that list....IF we (either EU/US) does get the PSP2 first I hope its launch. Im probably in the minority but that title makes it day1 for me......Ill probably still get day one but HSG will cement it for me

plainr_ said:
Oops, my mistake. Launching in Europe first is even more surprising. However, I think it would be nice for a change if the first batch of NGP's did go to Europe first.

Playstation still does damn fucking well over here (not as much in the UK, but still fairly good). A Japanese launch not being first is most surprising, considering how much that country still loves the PSP (MONSTER HUNTER) but an European premiere makes a fair amount of sense.

spwolf

plainr_ said:

it might make sense since it is bigger market for sony.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Green Scar said:
Playstation still does damn fucking well over here (not as much in the UK, but still fairly good). A Japanese launch not being first is most surprising, considering how much that country still loves the PSP (MONSTER HUNTER) but an European premiere makes a fair amount of sense.

I think given the source (retail), it's probably a wishful thinking thing. Euro retail would obviously LOVE a launch for Xmas here, and I'm sure they're pressing Sony for it, but whether they get their wish is another matter entirely.

From the point of view of rollout of the 3g unit, Europe is also going to be the most complex market for them, so if anything I think that works against Europe for a first or early launch. It'd be much simpler logistically to go with Japan as normal, or the US.

KAL2006

Banned
Green Scar said:

PSP launch in the UK broke records, it actually doubled the record holder at the time (DS)

FoneBone

Green Scar said:
A Japanese launch not being first is most surprising, considering how much that country still loves the PSP (MONSTER HUNTER)
That's the opposite of surprising - if they can launch it anywhere during the holiday season, the US makes much more sense.

The PSP still sells well in Japan doesn't it?

If anything i'd say it makes more sense to launch last in Japan. With the hope that NGP being out in other countries doesn't cannibalise Japanese PSP sales.

KAL2006

Banned
steverulez said:
The PSP still sells well in Japan doesn't it?

If anything i'd say it makes more sense to launch last in Japan. With the hope that NGP being out in other countries doesn't cannibalise Japanese PSP sales.

exactly, didn't the PSP actually beat 3DS sales a few times on Media Create sales charts. It is not a good idea to launch somewhere where PSP is still healthy.

Green Scar said:
It's because Japan loves the PSP so much that an NGP launch in NA or EU first makes sense. Sony needs to revitalize their handheld market outside Japan much more than to cut off currently healthy PSP sales inside Japan.

I am highly anticipating seeing more of the system at E3...God of War: Ghost of Sparta is very impressive visually for the PSP...can't wait to see what this beast can do

hosannainexcelsis said:
It's because Japan loves the PSP so much that an NGP launch in NA or EU first makes sense. Sony needs to revitalize their handheld market outside Japan much more than to cut off currently healthy PSP sales inside Japan.
They also need to have a couple of games for NGP launch that appeal to the Japanese market.

KAL2006 said:
PSP launch in the UK broke records, it actually doubled the record holder at the time (DS)

Yeah, I remember. I was more talking about the PS3 to be honest, seeing as the PSP subsequently failed to capitalise on that amazing launch. Europe loves Playstation, anyway.

FoneBone said:
That's the opposite of surprising - if they can launch it anywhere during the holiday season, the US makes much more sense.

I assume you're going off the fact that Sony will want to replace the PSP as soon as possible everywhere outside of Japan? I never thought like that, I guess the PSP can stick around in the Japanese market for a bit longer than elsewhere.

KAL2006

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
Thread title and OP should state what region "this year before Japan" applies to.

well the article didn't state this, but given that it is a UK based website, I assume they meant Europe.

ymmv

Banned
I hope Sony will position the NGP as more than just a portable PS3. I love the major Sony franchises, but I'm not excited about spinoff titles from PS3 franchises that are developed out of house. Create new franchises and new experiences that I can't have on a console instead of portable versions of Uncharted, inFamous, Resistance, Killzone, WipeOut, etc.

That being said: I'll probably succum to Uncharted NGP....

MrDanger88 said:
Nothing could get me to buy an NGP at launch, but thanks for trying.

Fixed for me. I was really LTTP for the PS2 and PSP and I will probably do the same with this. I primarily play games on Nintendo systems and my 360 but I know I will get one eventually. It's nice to buy in when it is cheaper and there are so many games to choose from at a lower price. If/when Monster Hunter is announced for the U. S. it will sure be tempting.

KAL2006

Banned
ymmv said:
I hope Sony will position the NGP as more than just a portable PS3. I love the major Sony franchises, but I'm not excited about spinoff titles from PS3 franchises that are developed out of house. Create new franchises and new experiences that I can't have on a console instead of portable versions of Uncharted, inFamous, Resistance, Killzone, WipeOut, etc.

That being said: I'll probably succum to Uncharted NGP....

I don't mind, just as long as we get both more franchise games and more new IPs.

Just like PSP which had GoW, Twisted Metal, Killzone and etc, but at the same time it had new IPs like Locoroco, Patapon and etc. But I agree they need more, but I don't think its wrong that they have their franchises out for NGP, just like Nintendo who also releases there standard franchises like Mario Kart and Zelda, but at the same time come out with new IPs like Nintendogs and Brain Age.

GQman2121

Banned
Good stuff. I'm still more interested in the PSN support, but this is solid news, none the less.

Give me PES Konami and all will be well.

neptunes

Opus Angelorum said:
Has any launch PSP ever came with an actual 'pack-in' game? I can certainly remember bundles at higher cost.
Sony Computer Entertainment Canada? thought they were slick when they packed-in Gretzky hockey with the original PSP

Yuterald

My NGP purchase will be based on either a Falcom game at launch or a new Yakuza title. If neither of those two are present it can fuck off.

Top Bottom