• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NGP 1st party launch lineup revealed and launching this year before Japan

KAL2006 said:
Yeah, PSP had a pretty decent launch with:
Twisted Metal Head On
WipeOut Pure
Ape Escape
Untold Legends
Hot Shots Golf
and 3rd party games like FIFA, Tiger Woods, Spiderman 2, Ridge Racer
They also had a bunch of sports games. Hot Shots came a bit later in the US though, I think like 2 months.

3rd party was pretty similar to 3DS launch though, not really all that exciting and mostly ports and retreads (outside Lumines and MGA). Handheld Ridge Racer just had more impact then is all.

nexen

lunchwithyuzo said:
They also had a bunch of sports games. Hot Shots came a bit later in the US though, I think like 2 months.

3rd party was pretty similar to 3DS launch though, not really all that exciting and mostly ports and retreads (outside Lumines and MGA). Handheld Ridge Racer just had more impact then is all.

Had a decent Tony Hawk game too, and that was before the series had tanked.

UncleSporky said:
So instead of merely paying $400 for the system and $100 for extra storage, everyone will be paying an extra $100 to $150 on launch games.

Hope people can save up $600 by November.

Based on that, then Im a third of the way there! I prepared to shelve out that much (plus thanks to ME3 leaving the holiday window, more free money to spend)

jiggles

Banned
Uncharted AND WipEout at launch?

I'm all over this like white on rice. Haven't been this excited about new hardware in ages.

Ryuuga

Banned
Airan said:
Long as Monster Hunter Freedom 3 is ready at NGP launch I will get it first day.

Monster Hunter Freedom 3 will be both released on PSP and as a NGP launch title.

Source: Me

Raziel

WipEout 2048

tumblr_l3q2xa0aYl1qa5lfoo1_400.jpg

KAL2006

Banned
If I had to guess 3rd party launch lineup (or near launch window), it would be
Mortal Kombat
SSFIV Arcade Edition
Resident Evil Revelations (port)
PES, FIFA, Madden, Tiger Woods
Ridge Racer
Ubisoft Shovelware/Ports
Dynasty Warriors

Ryuuga said:
Monster Hunter Freedom 3 will be both released on PSP and as a NGP launch title.

Source: Me
I could see that, but probably PSN only. Capcom USA hasn't released anything on a UMD since MHFU in mid 2009.

KAL2006 said:
Mortal Kombat
SSFIV Arcade Edition
Ridge Racer
Ubisoft Shovelware/Ports
Dynasty Warriors
Drop Revelations and you're probably right. NGP's more likely to get an Opertion Raccoon City port, if anything.

Xena

I know it is very unlikely, but I'd love it if they had an RPG (just one!!) at launch... would be great...

DCharlie

Banned
Wipeout 2048?

Why are we going backwards? XL = 2097.

Or is this a remake of Wipeout 1?

edit: No , Wipeout 1 is set in the year 2052.

So erm... can anyone fill in the history line? I know the full history of the racing league was documented in the original release

KAL2006

Banned
seabee said:
I know it is very unlikely, but I'd love it if they had an RPG (just one!!) at launch... would be great...

I doubt you would get an JRPG at launch though Falcom is making something for launch but it is most likely for Japan launch. I would suggest you continue playing PSP RPGs, there is Trails in the Sky that came out recently, and Final Fantasy Type 0 is coming out later this year and Valkyria Chronicles 3 could potentially be localized.

Yuripaw

Banned
This system's launch is gonna live and die not on it's launch titles, but it's launch price. If it's anywhere above $299, it's gonna fail I think...not bashing it, I just think it's true, because I still think they're aiming for a market that isn't really there for a handheld.

People like playing big epic console games on their big HDTV, not on a small portable device. That's just how I perceive it anyway.

P90

Interfectum said:
Already destroys 3DS' launch lineup.

Not in my book. And the 3DS' launch lineup is far from stellar. The NGP's list is total crapola for my taste. I was tempted to buy one at launch. I'm having early adopter 3DS pain. Ain't gonna do the same with the NGP.

KAL2006

Banned
The launch line up is actually a nice mix of different types of games, though the only thing that I find questionable is having 2 racers at launch from Sony (WipeOut and Modnation Racers).

We have Uncharted which is the showcase title for NGP, it shows the graphical capabilities of the NGP and it is a action adventure game. Smart As does not have enough info, but from what I have seen, it seems to be brain training puzzle game similar to Big Brain Academy, and it uses the touch screen interface as well as motion controls, it's nice there is some sort of puzzle/casual game which seperates itself from the rest of the launch lineup which gives the launch lineup variety. Modnation Racers, I have mentioned before that I think that this game has potential with the creating aspect using the NGP's touchscreen and camera, it is also a good pick up and play game that is suitable for handheld like Mario Kart. As for WipeOut 2048, well a Sony launch isn't great without a WipeOut game for launch. Finally we have Resistance, which won't make it for launch but will be released a 2-4 after launch, the NGP needs a FPS game that can make use of those dual analogs.

As for 3rd parties I am sure they will fill the gaps for game genres at launch with fighting games (SSFIV, MK), sports games (FIFA, PES, Madden, Tiger Woods), and hack and slash games (Dynasty Warriors).

Snipes424

KAL2006 said:
I know this has been posted on other threads but I think it needs more attention and it's own thread.

Basically a site called Jolt say they have details for NGP launch.

They say the NGP launch lineup is
Uncharted
Modnation Racers (this game wasn't even announced before)
Smart As
WipeOut 2048
Resistance (not for launch but near launch, Jan-March)
Also remember this is only 1st party launch lineup, there could be more from 3rd parties.

The site has also stated that NGP will launch this year and before Japan.

This is the source
http://www.jolt.co.uk/news/33378/ngp-launch-titles-appear-on-the-radar/

This all seems unreliable but you never know, note that they did say that WipeOut 2048 is coming for NGP, and there is a domain for wipeout 2048 by Sony.
http://whois.domaintools.com/wipeout2048.com

takemymoney.jpg

Takao

Banned
P90 said:
Not in my book. And the 3DS' launch lineup is far from stellar. The NGP's list is total crapola for my taste. I was tempted to buy one at launch. I'm having early adopter 3DS pain. Ain't gonna do the same with the NGP.

Nintendo's launch lineup was:

Pilot Wings: Resort
Steel Diver
Nintendogs + Cats

How could this be worse than that?

I'm not quite into Sony's first party efforts, but I'll use that money to buy all the amazing PSN games and PS1/PSP games on PSN. There's literally no way anyone couldn't find at least 10 games up there right now that they must have.

onipex

That's an ok launch lineup. The only game that interest me for that launch is wipeout. That's not enough to jump in for me.

neptunes said:
The days of DS and GBA type originality might be long gone.

both the NGP and 3DS are capable of playing both current & last gen games I don't think devs will pass up the opportunity to "re-use" assets, engines, and franchised from the last gen. With the DS devs were kind of forced to come up with original games due to its weak hardware, and even then it also got GBA "up-ports". Now the 3DS is basically a portable GC/Wii. I fully expect to the 3DS have less original content than the DS. Heck Nintendo is porting Star Fox and Zelda.

Nintendo also launched with Steel Diver. While niche it is a unique game that can only be played on a touch screen. I doubt the originality will die out for Nintendo, Sony , or third parties.

KAL2006

Banned
onipex said:
Nintendo also launched with Steel Diver. While niche it is a unique game that can only be played on a touch screen. I doubt the originality will die out for Nintendo, Sony , or third parties.

All companies make there fair share of niche titles, such as when Sony made Locoroco, Patapon and Echocrome. It seems Sony will continue to do this with NGP with Smart As, Reality Fighters, Gravity Daze and Broken. J don't understand the complaints of franchise games like Uncharted, why can't we have both, hell the most hyped games for 3DS are Super Mario 3DS, OoT and Resident Evil Revelations and they are your typical franchise titles you see on consoles.

There's really nothing there except Wipeout that excites me. NGP is an incredible piece of technology and I really hope they put it to good use by creating new handheld-centric IPs. I like Uncharted, but I like to play it with a Dual Shock on a big screen. I simply don't want to play cinematic games on a handheld if they aren't tailored to take advantage of the hardware and can't grow the IP with a unique twist.

DiscoJer

KAL2006 said:
All companies make there fair share of niche titles, such as when Sony made Locoroco, Patapon and Echocrome. It seems Sony will continue to do this with NGP with Smart As, Reality Fighters, Gravity Daze and Broken. J don't understand the complaints of franchise games like Uncharted, why can't we have both, hell the most hyped games for 3DS are Super Mario 3DS, OoT and Resident Evil Revelations and they are your typical franchise titles you see on consoles.

Yeah, but at the risk of rehashing an old argument, I would like the NGP get NGP only AAA titles (or IP), not AA+ spin offs of PS3 AAA titles.

I mean if they market this only at PS3 owners (which seems to be the case with that lineup of PS3 spinoffs), why will PS3 owners keep using the NGP once they spend the 5 hours playing the game? People with PS3s presumably have PS3 because they like gaming on consoles, not handhelds, and will play multiplayer of those titles on the PS3 instead (since all those titles are on the PS3 in some form).

Then again, Sony tried this with the PSP. The first two Syphon Filter games were amazing, but no one played them, so they had them make Resistance PSP, which wasn't nearly as good.

neptunes

onipex said:
That's an ok launch lineup. The only game that interest me for that launch is wipeout. That's not enough to jump in for me.

Steel Driver was a DS tech demo

Zoibie

Lagspike_exe said:
There's really nothing there except Wipeout that excites me. NGP is an incredible piece of technology and I really hope they put it to good use by creating new handheld-centric IPs. I like Uncharted, but I like to play it with a Dual Shock on a big screen. I simply don't want to play cinematic games on a handheld if they aren't tailored to take advantage of the hardware and can't grow the IP with a unique twist.

Unkarted NGP. Believe!

Takao said:
Nintendo's launch lineup was:

Pilot Wings: Resort
Steel Diver
Nintendogs + Cats

How could this be worse than that?
It could be like the DS launch lineup (Mario 64 port) or PS2 launch lineup (lol Fantavision).

KAL2006

Banned
DiscoJer said:
Yeah, but at the risk of rehashing an old argument, I would like the NGP get NGP only AAA titles (or IP), not AA+ spin offs of PS3 AAA titles.

I mean if they market this only at PS3 owners (which seems to be the case with that lineup of PS3 spinoffs), why will PS3 owners keep using the NGP once they spend the 5 hours playing the game? People with PS3s presumably have PS3 because they like gaming on consoles, not handhelds, and will play multiplayer of those titles on the PS3 instead (since all those titles are on the PS3 in some form).

Then again, Sony tried this with the PSP. The first two Syphon Filter games were amazing, but no one played them, so they had them make Resistance PSP, which wasn't nearly as good.

Disagree, PSP sales failed for different reasons, games like GTA, MGS and GoW still sold more than games like Locoroco and Patapon, which shows people are interested in franchise games. Hell one of the most hyped games for 3DS is Resident Evil Revelations and that is a franchise title. The main problem with the Syphon Filter games and any FPS game on PSP was the lack of dual analogs which isn't a problem now. Many folks even think Ghost of Sparta was better than GoW3 and Resistance Retribution was better than Resistance 2 and Killzone Liberation was better than Killzone 2. I think as long as these spin offs are not gimped (like LittleBigPlanet and Gran Turismo which both had missing features compared to console versions) then I don't mind spin offs, Peace Walker, GoW, Syphon Filter, Twisted Metal Head On, Killzone Liberation were all great games. And you seem to be talking about why will someone play on NGP if they have PS3 as they have the same games, but you are wrong, the games are different, Uncharted 3 is different from Uncharted NGP, same way Mario 3DS is different from Mario Galaxy, you cannot get the same games on the same platforms.

I am not saying we should get franchise games only, but why can't we have both old and new IPs, what is the problem with that.

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
One 3rd party exclusive that NGP will have is CALL OF DUTY and if the rumor is true it may come out this year and may be announced during this E3.

What rumor states COD is coming this year on NGP

Angry Fork

jump_button said:
NGP needs it own games and not spin offs
Disagree. The reason spin-offs failed on PSP was because the lack of 2nd analog/control input, as well as lack of hardware to match the console versions of things. I could see NGP handling a game like Oblivion now without any awkward shit.

I openly accept spin-offs and ports for NGP. Original games would be great too don't get me wrong but I don't see spin-offs as a negative for NGP the way I did with PSP. (And I still rage to this day that Kojima forced the PSP MGS's to have a 3D camera instead of a fixed-camera. I just don't understand the reasoning for it at all. It ruined all the games as well as 99% of shooters and games on PSP that needed a 2nd analog stick because of the console-like camera view)

slider

Depending on what level of integration NGP has with PSN (ergo PS3) I can see why there'd be a fair few PS3 IP spin-offs. And I'm not averse to that. But, yeah, harking back to the PS2's days - variety is very important to lots of folk.

But even with PS3 tie-ins I can't help but feel the integration won't be that compelling. Which leaves the games to stand on their own two feet. Which is the way it should be of course.

Oppo

KAL2006 said:
Mortal Kombat
SSFIV Arcade Edition
Ridge Racer
Ubisoft Shovelware/Ports
Dynasty Warriors

Really good guesses, except I think RR is probably done.

You know damn well there's going to be another Ridge Racer at launch as well. Fine with me, though. I love that series.

And if Uncharted and Wipeout are indeed launch titles, that's a bucket full of win right there.

My (realistic, but still drool-worthy) 3rd party launch lineup would include a Marvel vs. Capcom 3 port (the only port I actually want), a quirky game using the back touch panel from Sonic Team, and an awesome co-op dungeon crawler from Raven Software.

It's hard to equate a 3DS Mario game being made by the Galaxy team to an NGP Uncharted being made by the Syphon Filter team. Nintendo has a long history of putting their top talent on their handheld games, while Sony had an uneven track record at best with this sort of thing on PSP. I think that's in part why Nintendo gets a pass for portable Mario and whatever else, while Sony's franchise releases tend to get met with skepticism and often discounted as "lesser".

Now if Naughty Dog themselves were doing Uncharted NGP, then that'd be another story.

Oppo

DidntKnowJack said:
You know damn well there's going to be another Ridge Racer at launch as well. Fine with me, though. I love that series.

Really? You think they'll roll out poor Ridge Racer in yet another remake?

I dunno, I suppose, but that series is sorta circling the drain. With Wipeout and Mod Nation on there at launch it's not like they're hurting for racers.

Top Bottom