• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NGP 1st party launch lineup revealed and launching this year before Japan

SoulPlaya

more money than God
lunchwithyuzo said:
It's hard to equate a 3DS Mario game being made by the Galaxy team to an NGP Uncharted being made by the Syphon Filter team. Nintendo has a long history of putting their top talent on their handheld games, while Sony had an uneven track record at best with this sort of thing on PSP. I think that's in part why Nintendo gets a pass for portable Mario and whatever else, while Sony's franchise releases tend to get met with skepticism and often discounted as "lesser".

Now if Naughty Dog themselves were doing Uncharted NGP, then that'd be another story.
Have you played any of the Syphon Filter PSP games? They were great.

PortTwo said:
Really? You think they'll roll out poor Ridge Racer in yet another remake?

I dunno, I suppose, but that series is sorta circling the drain. With Wipeout and Mod Nation on there at launch it's not like they're hurting for racers.
It's just that Sony has never released a game system without a RR title. I'd be very surprised if one wasn't there.

edit: re-worded my shitty sentence.

SoulPlaya said:
Have you played any of the Syphon Filter PSP games? They were great.
I'm not saying they weren't, or that Bend can't make a "worthy" UC game even. My point was more about external perception and internal priorities and how they impact each other.

inner-G

Banned
If they can really manage to get all of that out at launch, it would be amazing. Sony has such strength in first party development. Hopefully third parties show up strong at E3, though the dev presentations shown at the announcement, presumably assembled on short notice, were quite promising for the hardware.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
H_Prestige said:
But were they as good as the Uncharted games?
Considering the limitations of the PSP control layout, I thought they were incredible. Let's see what they can do with great graphics and a second stick.

KAL2006

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
It's hard to equate a 3DS Mario game being made by the Galaxy team to an NGP Uncharted being made by the Syphon Filter team. Nintendo has a long history of putting their top talent on their handheld games, while Sony had an uneven track record at best with this sort of thing on PSP. I think that's in part why Nintendo gets a pass for portable Mario and whatever else, while Sony's franchise releases tend to get met with skepticism and often discounted as "lesser".

Now if Naughty Dog themselves were doing Uncharted NGP, then that'd be another story.

Well again you are forgetting Bend are a top developer, it doesn't matter who develops the game just as long as it is great, hell Polyphonic made Gran Trusimo for PSP and it didn't turn out so great, while Bend made Syphon Filter games which were excellent, Ready at Dawn made Ghost of Sparta which is considered to be better than GoW3 by some fans, same with Resistance Retribution. Sony have let original developers make games for handheld versions in the past, WipeOut, Gran Tursimo, Hot Shots are examples that they have done this. Hell I have heard MediaMolecule themselves are making LittleBigPlanet for NGP. Nintendo have also farmed out games to 3rd patys, just look at Yoshi's Island DS and even OoT 3DS.

KAL2006 said:
Well again you are forgetting Bend are a top developer, it doesn't matter who develops the game just as long as it is great, hell Polyphonic made Gran Trusimo for PSP and it didn't turn out so great, while Bend made Syphon Filter games which were excellent, Ready at Dawn made Ghost of Sparta which is considered to be better than GoW3 by some fans, same with Resistance Retribution. Sony have let original developers make games for handheld versions in the past, WipeOut, Gran Tursimo, Hot Shots are examples that they have done this. Hell I have heard MediaMolecule themselves are making LittleBigPlanet for NGP. Nintendo have also farmed out games to 3rd patys, just look at Yoshi's Island DS and even OoT 3DS.
I'm not forgetting, I'm saying there's a difference in perception. Nintendo puts their 'main' teams on their biggest handheld games (Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Super Mario), while Sony seems pretty hit or miss in that regard (LBP or Wipeout yes, Uncharted or Killzone no). Nintendo really makes no distinction between console or handheld teams, while Sony seems to divide almost evenly along those lines. Obviously there are exceptions, but that's the general perception that persists.

Also, while Grezzo is working on OOT 3D, it's in concert with EAD. It's likely a co-development effort, which isn't really anything new for Nintendo. It's like saying Zelda 1 was farmed out because SRD programmed it.

Takao

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
I'm not forgetting, I'm saying there's a difference in perception. Nintendo puts their 'main' teams on their biggest handheld games (Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Super Mario), while Sony seems pretty hit or miss in that regard (LBP or Wipeout yes, Uncharted or Killzone no). Nintendo really makes no distinction between console or handheld teams, while Sony seems to divide almost evenly along those lines. Obviously there are exceptions, but that's the general perception that persists.

Also, while Grezzo is working on OOT 3D, it's in concert with EAD. It's likely a co-development effort, which isn't really anything new for Nintendo. It's like saying Zelda 1 was farmed out because SRD programmed it.

Eh, Bend is working with Naughty Dog on Uncharted. While it's likely just story, and gameplay cues that's still co-development if you really want to go down that path. Same goes for Santa Monica and the God of War games made by Ready at Dawn.

KAL2006

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:

Who cares as long as the game is great, like I said before it doesn't matter who develops a game just as long as it is good, Ghost of Sparta, Syphon Filter, Resistance Retribution and etc were all great games. Your average joe wouldn't even know who developed the game. And just because a game is made by another team doesn't mean Sony studios don't oversee help out with the develpment internally for example Sony Cambridge (developers of Killzone NGP) actually helped out with making Killzone 3 so you never know a few Gurilla Games developers could be helping out making Killzone NGP, so you never know what really happens internally.

Lets look at NGP lineup and see who is making what anyway
Uncharted - being made by Bend who have a great track record
LittleBigPlanet - rumored to be MediaMolecule the original creators of the IP
Hot Shots Golf - being made by the original team
WipeOut 2048 - being made by the original team
Killzone - made by Sony Cambridge who helped develop Killzone 3
Resistance - made by some shitty studio

The only one in that list that bothers me is Resistance. But like I said it's not about who makes the games its about how good the game is.

Karkador

Banned
neptunes said:
The days of DS and GBA type originality might be long gone.

both the NGP and 3DS are capable of playing both current & last gen games I don't think devs will pass up the opportunity to "re-use" assets, engines, and franchised from the last gen. With the DS devs were kind of forced to come up with original games due to its weak hardware, and even then it also got GBA "up-ports". Now the 3DS is basically a portable GC/Wii. I fully expect to the 3DS have less original content than the DS. Heck Nintendo is porting Star Fox and Zelda.

Let me just say that I'm not really sold on either the NGP or the 3DS yet. I think OoT and StarFox64 remakes are kind of cool, but not enough for me to bite (same with SM64 on DS).

There is still plenty of room for DS-type originality in handhelds. Having played with the 3DS a little bit, I really enjoyed the combination of the 3D camera and the 3D screen. It's something very unique to the 3DS as of right now, and maybe it will be part of a game at some point, who knows. The 3DS seems to have a lot of little features that devs may make interesting use of when 3DS development really takes off.

It's good that Sony also gave the NGP some interesting features, and I'm waiting to see how they position this stuff at E3. However, when they did the "console games in your hands" thing for PSP, I thought it was really dull, that's why this stuff again is pretty disappointing. I want original games designed with the system in mind, not just console stuff with NGP or 3DS features tacked on.

Refugio

lunchwithyuzo said:

to be fair the first mario and mario kart handheld titles weren't developed by their main teams either. :p

Apath

Probably the best list of games one can realistically expect. Let's hope Mortal Kombat also makes its way onto the system around launch time as well, and Sony is guaranteed to get my money.

KAL2006

Banned
Karkador said:
Let me just say that I'm not really sold on either the NGP or the 3DS yet. I think OoT and StarFox64 remakes are kind of cool, but not enough for me to bite (same with SM64 on DS).

There is still plenty of room for DS-type originality in handhelds. Having played with the 3DS a little bit, I really enjoyed the combination of the 3D camera and the 3D screen. It's something very unique to the 3DS as of right now, and maybe it will be part of a game at some point, who knows. The 3DS seems to have a lot of little features that devs may make interesting use of when 3DS development really takes off.

It's good that Sony also gave the NGP some interesting features, and I'm waiting to see how they position this stuff at E3. However, when they did the "console games in your hands" thing for PSP, I thought it was really dull, that's why this stuff again is pretty disappointing. I want original games designed with the system in mind, not just console stuff with NGP or 3DS features tacked on.

I used to think that but then I realised most of the games I actually liked on DS and PSP were traditional games that can be made on consoles, such as
Mario Kart DS
God of War
Radiant Historia
Pursuit Force
MGS Peace Walker
Ys
Twisted Metal Head On
Castlevania
NSMB

In fact I wasn't a fan of games that were designed with the system in mind like Zelda DS games and Ninja Gaiden DS, I thought they played worse than normal console versions. I hated most of those other games that used the ystem features like Nintendogs, Brain Age and etc, I am just not a fan of those types of games. However there are some exceptions like Kirby, Layton and Hotel Dusk.

Karkador

Banned
Zelda DS and Ninja Gaiden DS are understandable, as they have a reputation as console games with good controls, and all that gets needlessly mucked up on DS. How about games like Trauma Center, WarioWare Touched, or Picross? Henry Hatsworth?

KAL2006

Banned
Karkador said:
Zelda DS and Ninja Gaiden DS are understandable, as they have a reputation as console games with good controls, and all that gets needlessly mucked up on DS. How about games like Trauma Center, WarioWare Touched, or Picross? Henry Hatsworth?

Like I said there are exceptions, but when I look back at the generation of DS and PSP games, i seems like I enjoyed traditional games more, Picross 3D is another game I forgot about which I have enjoyed, the other games like WarioWare and etc may be ok games and have cool controls but I don't really care enough about those games and don't look back at those games and think "that was a highlight for me".

Massa

KAL2006 said:
I used to think that but then I realised most of the games I actually liked on DS and PSP were traditional games that can be made on consoles

People have always played traditional games on handhelds. My Gameboy collection was filled with them.

KAL2006 said:
Who cares as long as the game is great, like I said before it doesn't matter who develops a game just as long as it is good, Ghost of Sparta, Syphon Filter, Resistance Retribution and etc were all great games. Your average joe wouldn't even know who developed the game. And just because a game is made by another team doesn't mean Sony studios don't oversee help out with the develpment internally for example Sony Cambridge (developers of Killzone NGP) actually helped out with making Killzone 3 so you never know a few Gurilla Games developers could be helping out making Killzone NGP, so you never know what really happens internally.

Lets look at NGP lineup and see who is making what anyway
Uncharted - being made by Bend who have a great track record
LittleBigPlanet - rumored to be MediaMolecule the original creators of the IP
Hot Shots Golf - being made by the original team
WipeOut 2048 - being made by the original team
Killzone - made by Sony Cambridge who helped develop Killzone 3
Resistance - made by some shitty studio

The only one in that list that bothers me is Resistance. But like I said it's not about who makes the games its about how good the game is.
Bend and Cambridge are solid teams, but would you say they're on par with ND and Guerilla? That the thing I'm getting at, whether it should matter is a bit beside the point, for many it does matter. That's the issue.

Compare that to Nintendo's 3DS lineup, and even when they "farm out", it's to teams known for console stuff like Smash Brawl or Excite Truck.

isys said:
to be fair the first mario and mario kart handheld titles weren't developed by their main teams either. :p
Fair enough, but Animal Crossing was. Zelda was. Donkey Kong was. Star Fox was. Metroid was. With DS we saw Mario Kart and Super Mario shift to console teams too, and it's been that way since. Again, Nintendo doesn't discriminate between handheld or console teams, usually it's the same people working on both.

Kuran

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:

This is simply not true. Pilotwings, Steel Diver, Zelda OOT remake, all weren't developed in-house. Sure they received supervision and intervention by Nintendo themselves, but they were not treated as proper first-party releases.

Karkador

Banned
Like I said there are exceptions, but when I look back at the generation of DS and PSP games, i seems like I enjoyed traditional games more, Picross 3D is another game I forgot about which I have enjoyed, the other games like WarioWare and etc may be ok games and have cool controls but I don't really care enough about those games and don't look back at those games and think "that was a highlight for me".

At the very least, I look back to those DS games and think "that was DS" more so than Super Mario 64 and such. I'll probably do the same for SSF4 3D and such. I think the games I named off were more than just "the exception," too.

For PSP, I mainly went to the stuff that wasn't a console "port" and could only be played on that system. That's how I'll remember it (as well as an emulator machine). I never cared for God of War, GTA, GT PSP, etc...games that the PSP defined itself as being all about, for the most part. I can see that people like stuff like that, though.

I enjoy traditional games on my handhelds as well, but I probably enjoy games developed specifically for said handhelds a lot more. Stuff like TWEWY, which managed to be both a great game and utilize every aspect of the DS to its fullest potential.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm glad Falcom has a launch title.

Now all I wish is a SE and Atlus launch title for NGP.

ZoddGutts

Sony Bend is one of the best first party developers for Sony. Very underrated imo. Their PSP games were solid despite the hardware limitations, hell their Resistance game is better than the PS3 Resistance games.

WillyFive

I like handhelds because you can have both traditional and quirky handheld specific games at the same time. It's not like consoles, where very simple games won't hold your attention for long.

KAL2006

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
Bend and Cambridge are solid teams, but would you say they're on par with ND and Guerilla? That the thing I'm getting at, whether it should matter is a bit beside the point, for many it does matter. That's the issue.

Compare that to Nintendo's 3DS lineup, and even when they "farm out", it's to teams known for console stuff like Smash Brawl or Excite Truck.

Like I said before it doesn't matter who makes it as long as the games are good, Ready at Dawn made a better game than Santa Monica with Ghost of Sparta being better than GoW3, Bend made a better game than insomniac with Resistance Retribution being better than Resistance 2. While Polyphonic the original developers made Gran Turismo for PSP which was terrible. Though there are some exceptions where original developers continued to make handheld versions like the WipeOut and Hot shots teams.

As for if Bend and Cambridge being in par with Naughty Dog and Guerilla, well we really don't know Bend have been restricted to a weak console and only 1 analog stick yet they still managed to make great games, who knows what they can do with better hardware, why do you think people are begging them to make games for PS3.

Kuran

Banned
Karkador said:
At the very least, I look back to those DS games and think "that was DS" more so than Super Mario 64 and such. I'll probably do the same for SSF4 3D and such. I think the games I named off were more than just "the exception," too.

For PSP, I mainly went to the stuff that wasn't a console "port" and could only be played on that system. That's how I'll remember it (as well as an emulator machine). I never cared for God of War, GTA, GT PSP, etc...games that the PSP defined itself as being all about, for the most part. I can see that people like stuff like that, though.

Personally I appreciate simple handheld games... but that doesn't mean that I discriminate between handheld and console or PC games. With NGP, the horsepower it delivers combined with the control inputs it has, there is no reason why playing Red Dead Redemption on-the-go would somehow be less fun compared to playing it on PlayStation 3.

The quick-sleep function that PSP has (and 3DS sadly lacks) is wonderful, and I hope NGP will have it too. It's essential for the concept of playing a more involving experience on-the-go.

The NGP will allow us to play Dark Souls wherever we go, if they choose to port it, without sacrificing anything in terms of content or gameplay (in theory). Something like that is just priceless and it will set the device apart from its competitors.

The only challenge will be for Sony to deliver a solid marketing approach. They need to believe in the unique position that the NGP concept holds, and not try to advertise it as an iOS competitor.

ZoddGutts

Guerilla has only made one good game and it was for the PSP. Their PS2/PS3 games on the other hand... well let's just say their at least pretty to look at.

Takao

Banned
Spinning Plates said:
Is Hot Shots Golf the kind of game they would hold back for the Japanese launch?

Yes it is. It's one of SCEJ's top franchises (alongside Gran Turismo, and Ape Escape).

zeelman

Has Sony given actual titles for those titles listed (except Wipeout 2048)? I have a hard time getting excited about tentative titles. I'm still waiting for "Shin Megami Tensei" on my PS3.

DidntKnowJack said:
It's just that Sony has never released a game system without a RR title. I'd be very surprised if one wasn't there.

Ridge Racer is not a Sony title. If namco doesn't want to release a RR for NGP, sony will have to live with it.

Huff

Banned
ULTROS! said:
I'm glad Falcom has a launch title.

Now all I wish is a SE and Atlus launch title for NGP.

P4P for launch. No longer have a working PS2 and never got to play it. Would spend pharm school loan money on this.

Kuran said:
This is simply not true. Pilotwings, Steel Diver, Zelda OOT remake, all weren't developed in-house. Sure they received supervision and intervention by Nintendo themselves, but they were not treated as proper first-party releases.
Outsourcing programming or some design work isn't new for Nintendo. By your definition the original Donkey Kong wasn't a proper 1st party release either then.

Steel Diver wasn't just supervised, it was actually co-developed. Like Other M or the original Star Fox. It's most likely the same case for OOT 3D.

KAL2006 said:
Like I said before it doesn't matter who makes it as long as the games are good, Ready at Dawn made a better game than Santa Monica with Ghost of Sparta being better than GoW3, Bend made a better game than insomniac with Resistance Retribution being better than Resistance 2. While Polyphonic the original developers made Gran Turismo for PSP which was terrible. Though there are some exceptions where original developers continued to make handheld versions like the WipeOut and Hot shots teams.

As for if Bend and Cambridge being in par with Naughty Dog and Guerilla, well we really don't know Bend have been restricted to a weak console and only 1 analog stick yet they still managed to make great games, who knows what they can do with better hardware, why do you think people are begging them to make games for PS3.
I'd argue it does matter, and the general gamer response sort of reflects that. Again, I'm not arguing quality, I'm arguing perception. There's a world of difference there between Naughty Dog or EAD Tokyo and Sony Bend.

Kujo

If the final output is good, why care who made it. Personally I've found a number of in-house titles to be fairly poor from time to time. A good game's a good game regardless. I think it's the minority of potential buyers who would know what team made this or that.

Agent X

lunchwithyuzo said:

Bend and Cambridge are good at what they do, just as Naughty Dog and Guerrilla are good at what they do.

Some developers specialize in certain genres, or are exceptionally skilled at working with particular hardware platforms. There are certain developers that might be considered cream-of-the-crop when doing certain games on one platform, but they shift over to a different type of game and/or a different platform and they're out of their element. When you've got a certain group of developers that have proven they can crank out great games on PSP, then why would you not want them involved on the NGP as well?

lunchwithyuzo said:

And Bend and Cambridge were once much better known for their console stuff, too. I'd argue Cambridge still is.

We had a similar discussion several weeks ago, and some people were labeling some of Sony's better PSP efforts (such as Resistance: Retribution or the PSP God of War games) to being farmed out to the "B-teams". Funny thing is that most people who played those games had no complaints whatsoever about the games or the particular groups of people who worked on them.

It seems the only people tossing around the "B-team" label are those who are somehow trying to diminish their perceived value. Nobody who has played those games would consider them to be some kind of "lower grade" developers than the ones that you usually associate with the other games in the series.

Noshino

lunchwithyuzo said:

Uh, Sony also puts their main teams behind their handheld games, they are no different than Nintendo.

Socom FTB was handled by Zipper
Killzone Liberation was developed by Guerrilla
WipEout is Liverpool's
Twisted Metal was made by Incognito
San Diego took care of not only MLB but also Modnation Racers
PD themselves made GTP

Nintendo is no different than Sony in this regards, this is all just FUD from your part.

lunchwithyuzo said:

Uh, yes, they are as good. Bend has been pumping out games since the PS1 era, Syphon Filter has been nothing but great. Cambridge is a tech house that have shown a wide range of genres (shooters, adventure, platform, etc), with some very underrated games.

The issue is the fact that...well....you are making a big deal out of it when it isnt.

I'll assume NGP is region free? I hope it is so I can import it day 1

Dat launch line up B^)

Nintendo gonna cock block and release Mario Kart or the new Super Mario that day, I can feel it.

KAL2006

Banned
I think why people get shit confused and start complaining about GoW, Resistance, Syphon Filter and etc is because there are some games that do get released on PSP that are B grade in comparison to console versions such as Ratchet and Clank PSP games, Jak and Daxter Lost Frontier and LittleBigPlanet. But those are just a few games and this has happened on DS just look at Super Princess Peach, Yoshi's Island DS, Yoshi's Touch and Go, Mario Basketball, DK Jungle Climber, Star Fox command, just because there were some terrible B games doesn't mean all games are shit, many games like Killzone Liberation, Ghost of Sparta and etc are great games.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, strong lineup there.

I feel like the first PSP would have been much more successful if it just had a second analog nub. The fact that it could play games at near PS2 quality (in the way that NGP comes near PS3) was awesome, but the difference in controls meant you couldn't easily port your games over.

Having Modnation racers on a handheld? That's fucking cool. And they don't really have to make any sacrifices due to control layout.

DiscoJer

Agent X said:
It seems the only people tossing around the "B-team" label are those who are somehow trying to diminish their perceived value. Nobody who has played those games would consider them to be some kind of "lower grade" developers than the ones that you usually associate with the other games in the series.

Yes, but the problem is, almost nobody played these games. Software sales of PSP software in the West were abysmal.

Following the same basic strategy, how is this going to change for Sony? Just because it now has 2 sticks?

And at least in the early days the PSP had something of a separate identity. The NGP seems to lack that, merely being a PS3 lite, a machine for spinoffs.

Sony seems to be sacrificing what they had - original IP for a system, for simply a watered down experience on the NGP. (And since the specs are less, as is the storage space, they will be watered down compared to PS3 versions)

What Sony needs to do for the NGP to be a real success, is build up original new compelling AAA titles based on its own IP, not borrowing from the PS3.

Sure, maybe leverage some existing IP that's popular. But don't rely on it. Because otherwise people will just play those games on the PS3. Maybe do the single player on the NGP, but go back to the PS3 for multiplayer.

And make sure it's not half-assed done. MLB The Show is a great example - it's been nothing but roster updates the last 3 years, and Sony has actually been removing features (online play for instance). They need to do better than this for the NGP.

Grinchy said:
Having Modnation racers on a handheld? That's fucking cool. And they don't really have to make any sacrifices due to control layout.

Mod Nation racers is on a handheld - the PSP has it. But this just illustrates my point - because it's on the PS3 and better, people completely ignore the PSP version. Even with the NGP being more powerful than the PSP, the PS3 is still ahead and will have the best versions of games.

KAL2006 said:
I think why people get shit confused and start complaining about GoW, Resistance, Syphon Filter and etc is because there are some games that do get released on PSP that are B grade in comparison to console versions such as Ratchet and Clank PSP games, Jak and Daxter Lost Frontier and LittleBigPlanet. But those are just a few games and this has happened on DS just look at Super Princess Peach, Yoshi's Island DS, Yoshi's Touch and Go, Mario Basketball, DK Jungle Climber, Star Fox command, just because there were some terrible B games doesn't mean all games are shit, many games like Killzone Liberation, Ghost of Sparta and etc are great games.
Yes, this is part of the problem. Almost immediately when it's learned that a handheld title is "outsourced", it brings negative connotations regardless of the quality of the product or even the reputation of the sourced studio in some cases.

Most of your DS examples though are "new" subseries spinoffs or actually developed by part of original teams (Yoshi T&G is EAD themselves even). A better example would be the Capcom GB Zeldas, mainline releases not by the maiine developers.

Takao

Banned
DiscoJer said:
Mod Nation racers is on a handheld - the PSP has it. But this just illustrates my point - because it's on the PS3 and better, people completely ignore the PSP version. Even with the NGP being more powerful than the PSP, the PS3 is still ahead and will have the best versions of games.

Eh, I'd be willing to say NGP version of Modnation would be the definitive release. Track and character creation will be expanded so greatly thanks to the touch panels.

PSP to NGP = NOT THOSE PORTS, THESE PORTS! :|

Rumored stuff is massively unappealing and NGP needs to get some solid Japanese developers under it's belt and show some good stuff before I give a damn.

Clearly trying too hard to appeal to god awful Western tastes IMO.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Uncharted is the only title that has me interested. If Capcom pull out MvC3 for this as a launch title I'll be hyped beyond belief.

Wipeout and Uncharted makes this a reasonable purchase at launch i suppose.Gravity Daze looked interesting, hope it makes it out of Japan :|.

Top Bottom