• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NGP 1st party launch lineup revealed and launching this year before Japan

btkadams said:
or maybe you just have different tastes? also, the rumour also is that NA or EU will get it before japan, right? so, maybe that's why it appears they're catering to western tastes.

I hope to hell that's the case, because I don't want NGP to be the same degree of fail that PS3 library is. Sorry PS3 fans, but compared to PS2, which isn't fair - so let's lower the bar, compared to PSP the PS3's library is sorely lacking.

So the last thing I want is a portable PS3. I want a PSP with flashier graphics on all the genres of games I love for the PSP. Hopefully PSO2 is announced for NGP.

Ratrat said:
Poor falcom.
I'm not even sure why solid japanese dev support is being questioned here.

I dig Falcom. I'm just put off by what I've seen thanks to the lame Western slant. Do not want Dudebro Station Portable. :|

I would get excited for Wipeout were it not for the fact I cannot play Wipeout without a NeGcon. I really wish Namco would make a damned Bluetooth NeGcon for PS3. That would be so great!

Acrylic7 said:
I'm not paying $10 for Tetris. Thats just not cool, $5 would be appropriate imo. But $10? no way.

Sony really needs a response to XBL Indie Games. Playstation Network Net Yaroze! DO IT SONY, DO IT!

Agent X

DiscoJer said:
And at least in the early days the PSP had something of a separate identity. The NGP seems to lack that, merely being a PS3 lite, a machine for spinoffs.

Sony seems to be sacrificing what they had - original IP for a system, for simply a watered down experience on the NGP. (And since the specs are less, as is the storage space, they will be watered down compared to PS3 versions)

What Sony needs to do for the NGP to be a real success, is build up original new compelling AAA titles based on its own IP, not borrowing from the PS3.

While I kind of agree with your sentiment, I disagree that Sony is relying too heavily on established franchises. They've already announced several totally new and exclusive games for NGP, in addition to a healthy amount of games based on existing IP. I really think it's good to have a balance of old favorites and new properties, rather than tilting too much one way or the other.

With regard to why there's so much discussion in these threads about Uncharted, Wipeout, Resistance, Killzone, and other NGP games based on established properties...that's because there's already a level of familiarity with established properties. People can point to a series that they like and get excited about a new entry, because they have certain expectations based on the previous games. It's much harder for people to do this with totally new properties, especially at this early stage when very little is known about them other than the genre and the development team.

By the way, while the NGP is often chided for getting "yet another" Uncharted, Wipeout, Resistance, Killzone, etc. and "not enough original games", I don't seem many of these people complaining about the Nintendo 3DS library with the same fervor. On the contrary, Nintendo's treasured franchises are constantly being paraded about. Most 3DS "wish list" threads are populated with people clamoring for ports of games more than a decade old as the biggest gaming hits of the summer. Further down the road, the threat of the NGP launch will be warded off by the arrival of Mario Kart and a new Super Mario platformer on the horizon.

I understand the excitement around these titles, and it goes back to what I said above about people getting more easily hyped about the "known" than the "unknown". Still, it is an awful double standard where the (perceived) reliance on established franchises is touted as a major selling point for the 3DS, but a terrible shortcoming for Sony's portables.

Takao

Banned
Acrylic7 said:
I'm not paying $10 for Tetris. Thats just not cool, $5 would be appropriate imo. But $10? no way.

PSN is down, but I'm pretty sure Tetris on Minis is actually $5, lol.

Acrylic7

Takao said:
PSN is down, but I'm pretty sure Tetris on Minis is actually $5, lol.
Pretty sure I saw a $10 Tetris on psn in the minis section. Maybe they lowered the price recently or something.

Takao

Banned
Acrylic7 said:
Pretty sure I saw a $10 Tetris on psn in the minis section. Maybe they lowered the price recently or something.

That was its launch price in 2009. Last year it dropped to $4.99. It bought it on sale months prior for like $6 or $7.

DiscoJer

There's also a French knock-off of Tetris coming out soon (rated by the ESRB) called Tetraminos. Doesn't have any frills and is full of jazz music, but should be cheaper (and plays more like classic Tetris, not this slide the blocks around on the ground stuff)

Suzzopher

Two Uncharteds in the same time frame? I don't see that happening.

WipEout is all I need at launch, I'd love Uncharted there too, but I think that will be a 2012 release.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Agent X said:
Still, it is an awful double standard where the (perceived) reliance on established franchises is touted as a major selling point for the 3DS, but a terrible shortcoming for Sony's portables.

Yeah, this just baffles me. Seen it time and time again.

Agent X said:
Still, it is an awful double standard where the (perceived) reliance on established franchises is touted as a major selling point for the 3DS, but a terrible shortcoming for Sony's portables.

I agree with the double standard, however Sony themselves admitted the PSP suffered from the lack of unique games (excluding PSN).

rpmurphy

Agent X said:
By the way, while the NGP is often chided for getting "yet another" Uncharted, Wipeout, Resistance, Killzone, etc. and "not enough original games", I don't seem many of these people complaining about the Nintendo 3DS library with the same fervor. On the contrary, Nintendo's treasured franchises are constantly being paraded about. Most 3DS "wish list" threads are populated with people clamoring for ports of games more than a decade old as the biggest gaming hits of the summer. Further down the road, the threat of the NGP launch will be warded off by the arrival of Mario Kart and a new Super Mario platformer on the horizon.
Just speaking for myself, but there are two criteria for me to be excited for a console series title on a handheld, and not for just the sake of it being on handheld:
1. A new game not being available concurrently on a console. When Mario Kart DS was released, there were no other iterations of the franchise being released on a console to look forward to. With the handheld hardware being powerful enough to replicate the gameplay of the console versions, the game essentially became the definitive new iteration of the series at the time. So, continuing with this, you can be sure that people will be looking at the coming 3DS Mario Kart, Mario platformer, and Animal Crossing games as legitimate sequels of each respective series, and expect the usual people or people with the same pedigree to be developing them to that effect.
2. Intertwined with the above criteria, the game being treated on the same level of a console version. For example, Mario Kart DS having added online, built on the roster, new maps, new items, gameplay tweaks, all the modes -- these are all the things that would be expected on a new console Mario Kart. And you can be sure that people will be expecting the same things for Mario Kart 3DS.

So yeah, handheld spinoffs, side stories, and ports of console games have their own redeeming qualities and lots of people are satisfied with just those, but they're just not going to be on the same level in terms of hype and interest.

There may be a double standard going on here, but Nintendo actually has a top-notch handheld game development strategy that not too many publishers are doing, particularly not Western ones.

Metallix

Banned
Agent X said:

I understand the excitement around these titles, and it goes back to what I said above about people getting more easily hyped about the "known" than the "unknown". Still, it is an awful double standard where the (perceived) reliance on established franchises is touted as a major selling point for the 3DS, but a terrible shortcoming for Sony's portables.
I think it's less a double standard, and more about which titles are seeing "yet another" franchise entry on NGP.

For instance, I think few are actually unhappy about a brand new WipeOut game. In fact, I imagine most are fairly excited for it, despite no details being available yet.

On the other hand, you have titles like Uncharted, Killzone, Modern Warfare, and Resistance, which in my eyes, are aimed at a more casual, FPS-centric audience. I know that, at least for me, the reason I've usually favored the portable gaming space is it's overall lack of that type of game for the past ten years, while said games have gradually dominated more and more of the home console space.

Am I saying there is no place for these types of games on the portables? No, absolutely not. I just consider Sony's strong focus on such titles in an attempt to appeal to Western casual gamers is a bit saddening, given how the best content on the original PSP, in my opinion, was comprised of titles that definitely didn't try to be gritty shooters.

KAL2006

Banned
rpmurphy said:
Just speaking for myself, but there are two criteria for me to be excited for a console series title on a handheld, and not for just the sake of it being on handheld:
1. A new game not being available concurrently on a console. When Mario Kart DS was released, there were no other iterations of the franchise being released on a console to look forward to. With the handheld hardware being powerful enough to replicate the gameplay of the console versions, the game essentially became the definitive new iteration of the series at the time. So, continuing with this, you can be sure that people will be looking at the coming 3DS Mario Kart, Mario platformer, and Animal Crossing games as legitimate sequels of each respective series, and expect the usual people or people with the same pedigree to be developing them to that effect.
2. Intertwined with the above criteria, the game being treated on the same level of a console version. For example, Mario Kart DS having added online, built on the roster, new maps, new items, gameplay tweaks, all the modes -- these are all the things that would be expected on a new console Mario Kart. And you can be sure that people will be expecting the same things for Mario Kart 3DS.

So yeah, handheld spinoffs, side stories, and ports of console games have their own redeeming qualities and lots of people are satisfied with just those, but they're just not going to be on the same level in terms of hype and interest.

There may be a double standard going on here, but Nintendo actually has a top-notch handheld game development strategy that not too many publishers are doing, particularly not Western ones.

Mario Kart and Mario 3DS I agree with but majority of handheld games are usually lesser version of console games, such as Metroid Prime Hunters being lesser than Metroid Prime, or Zelda DS games being lesser than Twilight Princess or Starfox Command being lesser than Star Fox 64, or Yoshi's Island DS being lesser than Yoshi's Island, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission being lesser than Super Metroid, F Zero GBA being lesser than FZero GX hell even OoT 3DS being lesser than the new Skyward Sword, then lets not even get into the shitty side stories and spin offs like Super Princess Peach, Yoshi's Touch and Go and etc.

Yes PSP sometimes had a lesser version to it's console variation, but thats not always the case many people proffered Ghost of Sparta over GoW3, Resistance Retribution over Resistance 2, Killzone Liberation over Killzone 2, WipeOut Pure over WipeOut PS2 and etc.

polyh3dron said:
If you like the lineup, why won't you be buying one? You don't have a second job yet?

I don't see the need for another 'console' that makes consessions on the aspects that make large screen gaming so great.

And I just don't think that full blown AAA story driven games are fit for portable gaming. Or the other way around.

I'm very tempted by wipeout though.

Ryuuga

Banned
Metallix said:
I think it's less a double standard, and more about which titles are seeing "yet another" franchise entry on NGP.

Given the nature of the discussion I'm going to assume you don't know what a double standard is. The whole reason this back and forth started was due to the grim outlook of Sony first-party efforts being 'outsourced' to 'seemingly unknown' developers which would result in questionable portable entry quality vs the immaculate first-party efforts of Nintendo and it's handheld-compliant development teams which improve after each iteration.

Metallix said:
For instance, I think few are actually unhappy about a brand new WipeOut game. In fact, I imagine most are fairly excited for it, despite no details being available yet.

There was a previous thread where a few individuals expressed grief about getting original titles for series they adore vs. spin-offs. Now, from an awkward point of view, some always view handheld iterations as mere spin-offs, omake, cutting room floor fodder that could never match the quality of it's console cousin. This of course only applied when speaking about PSP, but that couldn't possibly be because there isn't a double standard right? I have no idea why someone would not be happy about getting more of what they love regardless of what platform it's on.

Metallix said:
Am I saying there is no place for these types of games on the portables? No, absolutely not. I just consider Sony's strong focus on such titles in an attempt to appeal to Western gamers is a bit saddening, given how the best content on the original PSP, in my opinion, was comprised of titles that definitely didn't try to be gritty shooters.

*removed the term 'casual' as I feel it's been overused and has lost all meaning in the context of your explanation

I'm honestly baffled by this last part myself. Given that this launch may very well be for North America, I don't really see anything wrong with them trying to appeal to the region in which they're marketing the hardware and software to. The rest of your post just portrays your dislikes for all things 'dude bro' and 'grimdark' which is fine because that's how you personally feel about that genre and those games--no one can ever change that. However, as long as there is a market for it, they'll keep selling them and that doesn't mean that there will be a lack of original titles which you've come to expect out of your handheld experience on either NGP or 3DS.

.la1n

Luthos said:
Uncharted alone makes me want the NGP.

ehhh depends on how much effort is put into explaining the story. Also, why is it that I can't seem to get hyped for Uncharted 3. I'm one of those tiny minority posters on here that found Uncharted 1 to be the better game. I liked the cohesive one world to explore design.

Metallix

Banned
Ryuuga said:
Given the nature of the discussion I'm going to assume you don't know what a double standard is. The whole reason this back and forth started was due to the grim outlook of Sony first-party efforts being 'outsourced' to 'seemingly unknown' developers which would result in questionable portable entry quality vs the immaculate first-party efforts of Nintendo and it's handheld-compliant development teams which improve after each iteration.
I understand what a double standard is, but am merely suggesting that it's not so much a double standard of Nintendo and Sony, but about particular franchises. Whether or not the games were outsourced, I imagine a good bunch of people would be a bit disappointed to see these particular franchises leading the charge at the NGP launch.

tzare

i really hope Uncharted has online multiplayer. It will be a blast to play it from bed before going to sleep.

Spiegel

tzare said:
i really hope Uncharted has online multiplayer. It will be a blast to play it from bed before going to sleep.

Resistance Retribution had online so I'm expecting Uncharted to have it too.

joshwaan

I'm so pumped for the NGP hope it's called this I'm getting used to the name :)

I'll buy Wipeout and Uncharted for sure day 1 :)

All signs point to "Yes" so far ... but I think I will wait for price. $350 WITH a game is my maximum.

Although I really didn't pay anything for my 3DS (traded in all my DS stuff) and am really impressed by the 3D ... it doesn't have a single game that I'm really interested in. I've GF'd Steel Diver and SSFIV and own Pilotwings and Rayman 3D.

With the NGP launch Lineup I at least see one or two games that I'm REALLY interested in, games I want to play and not games I want to buy to "see what they look like".

I don't regret buying the 3DS, because it's just a slicker DS with more games in the future, but I haven't been an early adopter for years (since 360/PS3) and I forgot how barren the landscape is.

I hope it comes out this year, not because I want one, but Nintendo will have to step up their game with titles to compete.

Portable Uncharted vs a 12+ year old "remake" of a classic that a vast majority of your audience has already played? My finger isn't on the pulse of gaming but I know where my holiday dollars would go.

Somnid

KAL2006 said:
Mario Kart and Mario 3DS I agree with but majority of handheld games are usually lesser version of console games, such as Metroid Prime Hunters being lesser than Metroid Prime, or Zelda DS games being lesser than Twilight Princess or Starfox Command being lesser than Star Fox 64, or Yoshi's Island DS being lesser than Yoshi's Island, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission being lesser than Super Metroid, F Zero GBA being lesser than FZero GX hell even OoT 3DS being lesser than the new Skyward Sword, then lets not even get into the shitty side stories and spin offs like Super Princess Peach, Yoshi's Touch and Go and etc.

Yes PSP sometimes had a lesser version to it's console variation, but thats not always the case many people proffered Ghost of Sparta over GoW3, Resistance Retribution over Resistance 2, Killzone Liberation over Killzone 2, WipeOut Pure over WipeOut PS2 and etc.

Whoa there.

Metroid Prime Hunter and Prime are related by name only. One is a multiplayer shooter, the other is a first person adventure. That's like saying Other M is a lesser version of Prime.

Same for Zelda DS. They do not play the same at all from controls, to level structure, to puzzles, overworld etc, it's not like Twilight Princess was ever a replacement for any of them.

Starfox Command is the lesser of a game that was released 10 years prior? If you played SF64 in middle school you would have graduated college by the time Command released. Maybe you could say Assault but no one would believe that.

Again Fusion and Zero Mission are sequels to games that were released 10 years prior. That, and they were very fine games. The current Metroid at the time for consoles was Prime which bears little gameplay relation.

I'm also not so sure about F-Zero. One is clearly built as a 3D game the other share more in line with the original SNES version. Again they are clearly a different sort of game.

Especially if you agree that NSMB and Mario Kart DS are separated from their console versions then I don't see how you could really make the argument you're making.

So anyway the reason I wrote all this out is to illustrate that Nintendo's games are often very different on handhelds which justifies their existence. They take strong advantage of the hardware and even in the few cases there were similar games they were new entries in a style that last saw an entry a decade ago. It's not like the PSP GTAs, MGSs and GoWs that were watered down versions of the big screen franchises (Killzone and Resistance sure but they also weren't that memorable in the end). In fact PSP's selling point late in the game has been the flood of JRPG ports from PSX and PS2. And the NGP lineup at first glance doesn't appear to be much of a change in strategy. Certainly we know little about these games but given the history of the Sony portable it's not hard to think this might be the case.

.la1n said:
ehhh depends on how much effort is put into explaining the story. Also, why is it that I can't seem to get hyped for Uncharted 3. I'm one of those tiny minority posters on here that found Uncharted 1 to be the better game. I liked the cohesive one world to explore design.

Because the really have shown nothing of the main content of the game...they showed a teaser and single rather standard level. I am expecting to be blown away at E3 when they actually release a proper trailer showing some story elements. I am not worried about Uncharted 3....

KAL2006 said:

YIDS while 'lesser' than the seminal SNES classic, is still better than 99% of handheld platformers. Personally I thought it was better than NSMB.

I'd also say Metroid and F-Zero on GBA were pretty comparable to the SNES offerings. There's design differences sure, but the same could be said for Ghost of Sparta, Liberation, Pure, etc. And outside Wipeout, I'd say general perception is all those PSP are more often considered 'lesser' as well, if only out of ignorance.

M3d10n

KAL2006 said:
Mario Kart and Mario 3DS I agree with but majority of handheld games are usually lesser version of console games, such as Metroid Prime Hunters being lesser than Metroid Prime, or Zelda DS games being lesser than Twilight Princess or Starfox Command being lesser than Star Fox 64, or Yoshi's Island DS being lesser than Yoshi's Island, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission being lesser than Super Metroid, F Zero GBA being lesser than FZero GX hell even OoT 3DS being lesser than the new Skyward Sword, then lets not even get into the shitty side stories and spin offs like Super Princess Peach, Yoshi's Touch and Go and etc..
And accordingly, these "lesser" games only achieved a fraction of the success of their superior brethren, specially the ones launched close to their console versions.

tzare

Somnid said:
Whoa there.

Metroid Prime Hunter and Prime are related by name only. One is a multiplayer shooter, the other is a first person adventure. That's like saying Other M is a lesser version of Prime.

Same for Zelda DS. They do not play the same at all from controls, to level structure, to puzzles, overworld etc, it's not like Twilight Princess was ever a replacement for any of them.

Starfox Command is the lesser of a game that was released 10 years prior? If you played SF64 in middle school you would have graduated college by the time Command released. Maybe you could say Assault but no one would believe that.

Again Fusion and Zero Mission are sequels to games that were released 10 years prior. That, and they were very fine games. The current Metroid at the time for consoles was Prime which bears little gameplay relation.

I'm also not so sure about F-Zero. One is clearly built as a 3D game the other share more in line with the original SNES version. Again they are clearly a different sort of game.

Especially if you agree that NSMB and Mario Kart DS are separated from their console versions then I don't see how you could really make the argument you're making.

So anyway the reason I wrote all this out is to illustrate that Nintendo's games are often very different on handhelds which justifies their existence. They take strong advantage of the hardware and even in the few cases there were similar games they were new entries in a style that last saw an entry a decade ago. It's not like the PSP GTAs, MGSs and GoWs that were watered down versions of the big screen franchises (Killzone and Resistance sure but they also weren't that memorable in the end). In fact PSP's selling point late in the game has been the flood of JRPG ports from PSX and PS2. And the NGP lineup at first glance doesn't appear to be much of a change in strategy. Certainly we know little about these games but given the history of the Sony portable it's not hard to think this might be the case.

how games like MGS PW, Killzone, both GOW games or even Resistance, games tailored to the PSP can be considered watered down games and think the contrary when talking about Zelda DS for example.
ANd Ridge racer or Wipeout for PSP can be compared to what MK DS was for example. They were released when no WO or RR for home consoles were in sight.

BEsides, some forget PSP was a miniPS2 so that is what was expected. Then several wrong decisions like single analog or lack of touch harmed PSP, of course. Those things are adressed for NGP

Somnid

tzare said:
how games like MGS PW, Killzone, both GOW games or even Resistance, games tailored to the PSP can be considered watered down games and think the contrary when talking about Zelda DS for example. BEsides, some forget PSP was a miniPS2 .

ANd Ridge racer or Wipeout for PSP can be compared to what MK DS was for example. They were released when no WO or RR for home consoles were in sight.

If you played Spirit Tracks there's no way in hell you'd ever think "boy I wish this was on Wii instead." The game would be near impossible to replicate on any console.

Ryuuga said:

There was a previous thread where a few individuals expressed grief about getting original titles for series they adore vs. spin-offs. Now, from an awkward point of view, some always view handheld iterations as mere spin-offs, omake, cutting room floor fodder that could never match the quality of it's console cousin. This of course only applied when speaking about PSP, but that couldn't possibly be because there isn't a double standard right? I have no idea why someone would not be happy about getting more of what they love regardless of what platform it's on.
I tried to get at it earlier, but there most definitely is a double standard. But it's also not exactly without merit and if you boil things down and look at overall library, focus and commitment of resources, it's pretty clear that Nintendo places a comparable priority on handheld and console software, and has for a long time now. I don't feel you can really make the same claim with Sony, they very much treat their handheld approach as a secondary arm to their console efforts in resources or design or promotion or what have you. That doesn't mean their handheld games are 'bad' by any stretch, or that they don't actually put enough resources/commitment behind them, or that this is even the case universally in every project (as with anything, there are always exceptions) but it still drives the perception of them as secondary. That's in large part why Nintendo handheld games might be given a 'pass' by gamers and why Sony's are so often met with a degree of skepticism or apathy. Sony's approach literally reinforces the perception of 'lesser'.

[Nintex]

Somnid said:
If you played Spirit Tracks there's no way in hell you'd ever think "boy I wish this was on Wii instead." The game would be near impossible to replicate on any console.
No, things like: "Boy I wish this and Phantom Hourglass were never made!" came to find first.

Somnid said:

but it wasnt fun anyway, so this comparison isnt that accurat

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Will be there day one for Wipeout. Will stay for everything else. I can't wait, I can already feel the copious amounts of fun this thing will produce.

If you had asked me in 2003 or anytime before, I would've laughed at you saying that Sony had a strong set of first/second-party franchises.

M3d10n said:
And accordingly, these "lesser" games only achieved a fraction of the success of their superior brethren, specially the ones launched close to their console versions.
Sales success? I believe Fusion outsold Super slightly and I know Maximum Velocity outsold GX several times over. I think Phantom Hourglass probably did pretty comparably to Twilight Princess Wii too.

tzare

Somnid said:

i did not enjoy spirit tracks so i dropped it. Zelda PH was nice, and used touch features in an interesting way, probably difficult to see on a home console. Basically because of touch panel. But the point is 'games tailored' to what the console offers. Then MGS PW, GOW , and Killzone for example have controls adapted to PSP, as well as mission structure that fits the system.
And that has happened with every single portable console before DS, which was the first one to bring features not replicable in a home console. So will NGP unless Wii2 or next PS/XB feature similar touch controls.

So i do not see a reason for so many complains. They have adressed the hardware, and games will come. Sooner or later. As will with 3DS and as happened with DS and PSP after a while

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Pretty pathetic line up if true. Understandable since it is launch, but a bit worrying since its familiar to the PSP current situation.

SykoTech

Well, that lineup definitely suits western audiences more than Japan, so it would make sense.

Still unsure how interested I am. My love of hanheld gaming is pretty much dead, but Sony does seem to be aiming closer to console-like experiences than ever before. Guess I'll wait for feedback. If I hear that WipEout 2048 is just as good or better than HD, then I'll have to check it out.

[Nintex]

I must admit, since F-Zero is dead I might pick up an NGP just for Wipeout but it has to be really good and the the system should be somewhat affordable too. I actually regret buying the 3DS at launch considering there was no F-Zero or anything else worth a damn(Ridge Racer and Ghost Recon were somewhat nice...).

Mr. Hyde

Depending on launch price and if Wipeout is really out on day one, this might be the first system I buy at launch. Yay!

KAL2006

Banned
OK here is the media create sales in Japan I got from the other thread

PSP 76,974
3DS 28,413
PS3 23,954
Wii 10,889
DSi LL 9,235
DSi 7,584
Xbox 360 4,082
PS2 1,582
DS Lite 319
PSP go 251

As you can see the PSP is dominating in Japan and there is no need for NGP yet for Japan. It makes sense that Sony would want to launch NGP in Europe/US first. And with this rumor saying we are getting it before Japan and western launch lineup it all makes sense for me. I am sure the niche Japanese games will come with Japan NGP launch for games like Gravity Daze, Broken, Hotshots Golf and Falcom JRPG and etc.

yurinka

Takao said:
Minis are under $10. Suite will likely be no larger than $20 (probably $5 given it's for Android really), and the same will likely go for PSN exclusive.
Non-PS1 PS Suite games will be cheaper than Minis, because I assume that since they are mobile phone games and not console games, the PS Suite developers won't need to pay the really expensive PEGI, ESRB etc ratings.

It's something "mandatory" in console / portable console games, but doesn't exist in mobile gaming.
theBishop said:
Launch lineup lacks PS1-era ports. Fail.
I would say there are some hundreds of PS1 games in the PSN store. So they will run NGP since day 1 thanks to BC because they run in PSP. Same with Minis.

yurinka said:
It's something "mandatory" in console / portable console games, but doesn't exist in mobile gaming.
It's only mandatory because Sony, MS and Nintendo say so, not any government body. At least in the US, ESRB is totally a voluntary system. That's why XBL Indies don't have to go through it.

M3d10n

lunchwithyuzo said:
Sales success? I believe Fusion outsold Super slightly and I know Maximum Velocity outsold GX several times over. I think Phantom Hourglass probably did pretty comparably to Twilight Princess Wii too.
Fusion was released in the same year as Prime but Fusion *is* the actual sequel to Metroid 3 while Prime was the outsourced FPS spin off, after 8 years without any Metroid game.

I don't have the numbers, but didn't TP get multimillion sales worldwide sales while PH sold more or less in line with past handheld Zelda games?

Takao

Banned
shintoki said:
Pretty pathetic line up if true. Understandable since it is launch, but a bit worrying since its familiar to the PSP current situation.

How is this familiar to the current PSP situation at all? That first party only western launch lineup for the NGP is entirely western focused, which goes against every major PSP game released since 2009 not named God of War.

Arnie

Having Uncharted in the lineup would be huge for the system, if that's the case then it's already orders of magnitude better than the 3DS one. Still curious to see how much of the added control methods interfere with the game though, despite their assurances that it's purely optional.

Top Bottom