• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] No Man's Sky Development / Technical Issues (Podquisition)

Nabbis

Rumor: Video Game In Development Is In Development

I don't think it would be such an issue if games were not advertised or hyped as the best thing since Christ while the actual games just had their foundation set, if compared to buildings.

To anybody......saying its in development its to be expected not everygame made has issues to get it to run on the target hardware some of yall need to step back alittle....relay

True, but by the very notion of it being in development means that there will be technical issues and that everything is in flux.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sounds like normal issues in development. Making something out of nothing. Let's see where we are come release.

Jerm411

scared-boy-o.gif

Nzyme32

can we just make this the motto for GAF from now on? none of this is surprising. this is just the realities of game development.

To clarify, I didn't post this because "it's surprising", but perhaps providing context for the release date

ironcreed

Banned
I am still excited for it, but my expectations have been tempered. I fear that this game might end up being a victim of it's own hype. Which is not really the fault of Hello Games, it's just that the game came out of left field and blew everyone away and the hype took on a life of it's own. Here is to hoping that they can still deliver on at least some of the promise shown.

This game is doomed. It will never live up to the hype it's been getting.

So long as it does exactly what it's supposed to do, it'll be fine. Hype ain't shit if the person's expectations are wildly inconsistent with reality.

Or basically, "you can be hyped for a rad game so long as you know what said game will entail upon release".

Robaperas

I was listening to it yesterday, if true it's a shame but totally expected; the scale of the game is huge, they'll obviously have technical issues to deal with.

What bothered me about that NMS talk was the "but what do you do?", it isn't so hard to read some info about it.

Not surprised.

The game seems a bit too ambitious and directionless even.

Still hope to play it someday, because the concept is very interesting.

SaucyJack

I had also heard that the PC optimisation was problem. However, I heard the rest of it differently. What I had heard that the PS4 version was basically done and dusted, hence the marketing blitz that seemed geared towards a September launch. I was also told that given that they had committed to simultaneous PC/PS4 launch that the PC problems caused them to miss their launch slot.

I don't claim to be an insider, my source is second hand i.e. a friend who is a friend of someone who works at HG. MOTWYW.

"Sources" sounds like something you'd hear out of a tabloid non-story. Seriously though I think Hello Games will deliver. And if they don't well they still get a gold star for trying.

It's only 12 people. Hopefully since this will now stay a PS4 console exclusive Sony will bankroll some additional help to get it running well.

Sounds like the problems all large scope video games have tbh. I would not think too much into it.

The running on PC thing happens with basically all games at this point: only if the devs would actually be forward about it though.

I thought they had a hands on session at e3 on PS4 ?

Nobody mentioned any technical issues. Also, I think it was mentioned running at 60fps.

CHC

I'm not overly worried about the game itself as the development schedule is quite forgiving it seems, but it is VERY obvious that the game was intended to come out much, much earlier than it will.

iceatcs

Optimisation on PC must be nightmare, small group and very intense graphics engine on non fixed hardware.

Didn't Red Dead Redemtion have quite a troubling development? Look how that turned out. Hell iirc Naughty Dog talked about having some development issues with The Last of Us. These things seem to happen with a lot of games but most devs don't let it be known until sometime after launch if at all.

ironcreed

Banned
I had also heard that the PC optimisation was problem. However, I heard the rest of it differently. What I had heard that the PS4 version was basically done and dusted, hence the marketing blitz that seemed geared towards a September launch. I was also told that given that they had committed to simultaneous PC/PS4 launch that the PC problems caused them to miss their launch slot.

I don't claim to be an insider, my source is second hand i.e. a friend who is a friend of someone who works at HG. MOTWYW.

sloth-chin-scratch.gif%3Fw%3D560%26h%3D315

Encouraging for the PS4 version, if true.

Not surprised No Man's Sky was running on PC during the conference since its the superior platform. I was always going to buy it on PC in the first place. Just another marketing strategy that often gets overblown by the internet.

However I am extremely disappointed in the No Man's Sky delay which i guess would be explained by their troubles. I originally thought Sony was going to try and make that their big game this holiday but I guess not.

• No Man's Sky was meant to be at a UK event called Game City as a "hands off demo", but they cancelled their appearance, apparently due to technical issues.
  • Sony's E3 Press Conference demo was not on a PS4. It was running on PC
  • Considerable issues getting the game to run on PS4
  • Optimisation on PC has been hell
  • Lots of technical problems getting the game to run at the scale they want

This is literally every game ever.

Danlord

Not heard this spoken of much, but thought this was worth posting about.

On the latest Podquisition episode, Laura K Buzz (Destructoid) highlights some things she has been hearing via her sources regarding No Man's Sky over recent months - https://soundcloud.com/jimquisition/podquisition-49-david-cage-writes-science-fiction#t=23:37

• No Man's Sky was meant to be at a UK event called Game City as a "hands off demo", but they cancelled their appearance, apparently due to technical issues.
  • Sony's E3 Press Conference demo was not on a PS4. It was running on PC
  • Considerable issues getting the game to run on PS4
  • Optimisation on PC has been hell
  • Lots of technical problems getting the game to run at the scale they want

Basically the end conclusion was just for people to be cautious

Apologies if old

The GameCity event was postponed, although no particular reason was given but it will be given another date. http://gamecity.org/statement-from-hello-games-and-gamecity/ Doesn't go against what the person in podcast said, but it wasn't strictly cancelled and there's nothing to imply causation from the podcast rumour.

As for everything else, there is nothing here. breaking news stuff mentioned in a podcast versus publishing it as an article? I don't buy it. I just think there's their skepticism leaking into a narrative they are going to be pushing.Just like the erroneous comparisons to Spore because it contains 'Procedural Generation' .

I think they need to elaborate a lot more in-depth and give us proof or any real evidence rather than what they've heard. "some ramblings i've been hearing in recent months". I'd like information on this "considerable issues" they've been having and anything else really.

Also, for the person in the podcast, the voice-over was a speech taken from Blade Runner which Rutger Hauer stars and is retconned for No Man's Sky.

I was listening to the latest Podquistion yesterday and was surprised to hear this coming from Laura. Hopefully this is one of those unsubstantiated rumors that doesn't have any weight.

Thanks to GAF for bringing this bit of news up and letting GAF discuss it.

Yup not about to go all doom and gloom stuff happens. Hopefully the delay helps them iron out whatever problems they're having(if this is even true)

Big fan of podquisition but I'm not going to be taking this as Gospel. While laura does know her stuff she has also shown at times that she is equally uninformed in other examples. Also, both her and Jim are firmly in the "but what do you do in NMS? Camp regardless of everything that has been discussed about it so believing this wouldn't be a stretch for them in my mind.

Who knows, maybe they are right but I wouldn't take it to the bank yet.

Top Bottom