• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] No Man's Sky Development / Technical Issues (Podquisition)

FleetFeet

I mean c'mon guys, are you really gonna believe everyone you hear who says they have "sources"? Danny O'Dwyer from gamespot called NMS a complete no show at this past E3, and he's had as much access to this game and devs as anybody. He was so confident in his sources leading up to E3 also, so don't buy everything you hear.

I love all the defenders saying it wasn't suppose to come out in 2015 and it wasn't delayed when the creator of the game said it'd be out in 2015.

Look I'm all for game delays if it improves the game and is needed, but don't pretend like he didn't say it would be out in 2015.

Please point us to where Sean Murray stated the game would be out in 2015 and then we'll back down.

Please point us to where Sean Murray stated the game would be out in 2015 and then we'll back down.

nzfpAdY.png

sublimit

Banned
Comes with the territory on such an ambitious title. Especially for just 4 people.

Pretty much.
I wonder why Sony hasn't stepped in and offered them some help like they did with ThatGameCompany's development of Journey (Sony SantaMonica helped with the development).

AdanVC

Really? That explain it's massive delay. They literally will have to make the game somewhat "un-infinite" in order to play on PS4, :p

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Honestly, I don't mind a delay if it allows them to get it working properly.

I'm just a little annoyed because they kept talking about it. If the game ain't ready then focus on getting it ready and start your talking when you're 100% sure it's good to go.

Pretty vague date you must admit. If it was "August 2015" then sure but that wording sounds more hopeful than dead set.

Here's to 2015, the year NMS comes out.

There's nothing hopeful or vague about that wording.

And in an interview shu already said the team is still working on it
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1130996&page=1

Of course, I have no doubt they are hard at work. The rumours, if they are true, are what's concerning. Tequlia aren't exactly known for their compelling games. Deadlight was boring as sin...

SURGEdude

I'm ok with this. The game seems like it needs to walk the perfect line to be a hit. It's abstract and odd enough that it's kind of in uncharted territory for what people expect out of it. Running on all cylinders creatively and technically will be key if they want it to breakout to the wider market or convince those of us that just don't feel like we really know if it's gonna be a game changer or a procedurally generated snorefest. Glad to hear it isn't being pushed out the door until it's as good as they can make it.

Danlord

Pretty vague date you must admit. If it was "August 2015" then sure but that wording sounds more hopeful than dead set.

Yeah, it was still a very vague date, and internally they may have had a more specific date but he was set on 2015 for the year. To extend the release to June 2016 means it was "delayed" to some extent.

Game in active development encounters problems.

Story about game's supposed problematic development appears days after the game receives its first solid release date announcement (i.e. it has never been delayed)

...what??

tuxfool

Banned
Interesting how people think that the infinite universe is the cause of the issue, and not the immediate generation of terrain, wildlife etc. on the PS4.

I suspect that this game is very CPU heavy and not something the PS4 has in abundance. It looks comparatively lightweight on the GPU.

Alienous

I can imagine the issues that would arise in constantly crunching an algorithm to generate the world around the player. Then there's stuff like AI on top of that, pathfinding around generated trees *shudders*.

Anyway, slightly unrelated question: Have we ever seen Sean Murray and Peter Molyneux in the same place at the same time? We might be in for a Scooby Doo moment.

tuxfool

Banned
I can imagine the issues that would arise in constantly crunching an algorithm to generate the world around the player. Then there's stuff like AI on top of that, pathfinding around generated trees *shudders*.

Yup. One can think of procedural generation as a form of compression. The actual data stored is very minuscule. Conversely a lot of CPU power has to be expended on generating and displaying the assets being produced by the various algorithms.

Ambitious project for a small team.

I forgave any development issues the moment I saw the first trailer and heard the ideas and the future plans.

Just get it done, get it right, get it released. Whenever that is. It isn't like this is the only game coming out in 2016 or something and they don't have 150 employees.

Just look at Star Citizen. Ambitious projects hit problems. Isn't a unique thing.

Re 2015 release: He did say it would be out in 2015 (cannot believe people didn't know this), but he also retracted it in an interview soon after. I think it was with EuroGamer. Comment in interview (which I cannot find ¬_¬) was only pointed out after people had a go at Murray for not speaking of release as 2015 went along.

King_Moc

Banned
So the games been delayed by at least 6 months and now development problems are being touted as an inside scoop? Games are delayed for this reason all the time.

Eh I'll take this rumour with a pinch of salt.

It's a small team making one of the most ambitious games I've ever seen so any tech difficulties wouldn't surprise me.

But HG just take your time and make the game amaaazing!

meanspartan

Rumor: Video Game In Development Is In Development

Oh come on, you just wrote that excellent article on Destiny's troubled development and how much content got cut from it only to be sold to us later in DLC.

You know when such an article would have been more useful? Before launch, so more people knew that their $60 wasn't getting them all that much in addition to a nonexistent story. I'm not blaming you, obviously you can't control when your sources tell you stuff, and I did love your article.

But in this case, at least we are aware that something is indeed likely troubled with this game, hence why it isn't out years after we first saw it. I hope they get the problems fixed and the game launches and is amazing. At least now though we are on notice, controlling our expectations, and making more educated decisions about preordering.

Nabbis

This is fucking stupid.

Yeah, sure. Destiny marketing was full speed ahead while Bungie was still trying to decide whether it would even have a story after it's monumental development issues. That, if anything, is fucking stupid. Thanks for the great input btw.

Now that rumours of troubled development surface again, we get the same guy who exposed the deliberately misleading marketing in Destiny(a whole year later) that "Video Game In Development Is In Development". Huh?

I hope im not the only one that finds project problems as a pass for devious advertisement a pretty disturbing practice.

Edit: Just to be clear, im not talking about No Man's Sky doing that(I have not followed the games development updates and statements to make an "educated" guess) but there's no way for consumers to know about these things outside of rumours.

Sony's E3 Press Conference demo was not on a PS4. It was running on PC
And people say E3 never gives any coverage to PC. Sony and Microsoft do it for them.

But I'm not surprised about this news. Look at star citizen and how they're running into problems trying to make a big ambitious game.

Karak

I discussed this on our podcast this week but for some reason I feel like the game will get delayed again until fall but with a large blowout of currently unknown features that will make the holiday season seem a perfect time for its release. It may hit now when they say but I can see them coming out and saying, "we have delayed it until the Holidays and look at this MAYBE new/MAYBE not new content or features". Never really explaining if the stuff was already in the game but doing a good enough job to make it appear like the wait is for these features to be implemented.
As it is though. Its unsurprising games development news.

You go on talk shows to talk about shit that is out or about to drop. Otherwise it is a waste of time because no one will remember when your project comes out in a year.
Evidently not. Maybe the producers of the show just thought Murray would be a interesting and funny guest.

I was never sold on this game, didnt get the hype and knew it all sounded too good to be true. Especially after Spore and Fable, I wont let my excitement by over the top claims.

Sad though, hopefully the game does get rid of any bugs and does well.

Mivey

Really? That explain it's massive delay. They literally will have to make the game somewhat "un-infinite" in order to play on PS4, :p
They could use 32-bit simulation instead. Then you could only have 4 billion planets :( (instead of 2^64)

Danlord

I was never sold on this game, didnt get the hype and knew it all sounded too good to be true. Especially after Spore and Fable, I wont let my excitement by over the top claims.

Sad though, hopefully the game does get rid of any bugs and does well.

Another silly comparison to Spore, because of "Procedural Generation". -_-

There is a lot of concern posting in this thread, over nothing but an unsubstantiated rumour by one person who provided no clear evidence other than ramblings they've heard :/

DJIzana

I wonder if they'll be able to get past these technical hurdles? Especially for PS4 if it's even more difficult for them...

Really looking forward to this game but I sure as heck don't want to purchase a bugged out title either.

Here's to 2015, the year NMS comes out.

There's nothing hopeful or vague about that wording.

This. Theres nothing vague about what they said and it was clearly delayed but that happens and its just part of game development.

Im sure Sony will help them get the game up to scratch it'll be fine when it launches, I'm looking forward to it

Top Bottom