• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: NX controller supports Wii-like motion control and force-feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think we need a new thread. Or at least updated the OP with the new info.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't think it'll be a phone, somehow.

What I mean is 'remove the controllers, what can you still do?'

It'll look like a phone/tablet to the outside world but probably with a big ol' NINTENDO logo on the back. Essentially, people won't have this negative stigma of using a handheld in public b/c it'll look like everything else while being a trojan horse portable/console.

If it's true, mind you.

majik13

I really hope these new detachable motion controls are far more ergonomic than the wiimote. Wiimotes problem was that it had to serve double duty as an NES controller, so all the buttons were odd and in odd, uncomfortable places.

Hopefully, these new wiimotes can be designed better for one hand use with buttons in ergonomic and logical places. However still sounds like they are serving double duty as standard controls when attached to the screen. But hopefully they can figure something out.

You misread my post, you can't play Metroid Prime Trilogy or SMG with a standard gamepad that just senses motion, you need a pointer. That's my whole point, if the NX controller has a Wiimote like design then I'm 100% out. If it JUST has motion sensing in a 'standard' pad design then cool but the feature is mostly useless anyway and adds cost for no reason.

The report is that there are two controller parts that detach from the portable portion when it's hooked up to a TV.

You could theoretically use a controller in two parts like a Wii Remote as long as the right-hand portion can be used to sense motion/has a pointer.

But each of the controller parts will also probably function like the two halves of the Wii U GamePad/Pro Controller - of a "standard pad design." And you'll probably have some accessory or way to connect them into a single piece, too.

DEDICATED POKEMON MACHINE

I think people need to mind the fact that she specifically didn't mention anything about Pokemon in her tweet, and that she said "the report" (which included information that's not about Game Freak) had some truth to it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
That sounds terrible for those fans who still defend the 3DS and Wii U touchscreens.
They never was going to use something else... This is a 2017 device which is catering to a generation that is used to multi-touch devices.

With this new 720p rumor, I've been thinking that what if when docked it doesn't output in native 1080p, but upscaled and optionally in a pixel-perfect mode.

See this mock-up I made of MK8 upscaled to 4K in optional pixel-perfect mode:

mariokart84k8fs0p.png

Would that be ideal?

phanphare

Banned
That sounds terrible for those fans who still defend the 3DS and Wii U touchscreens.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit bummed about the move away from resistive but it was inevitable. the market at large deems one to be cheap and one to be premium based on look and feel alone. it was a foregone conclusion.

we'll always have the DS, 3DS, and Wii U tho

::pours one out::

Peltz

I thought it was a huge mistake for Nintendo to abandon Wii Remote style controller as the primary input on Wii U. They should have kept iterating on that design, it still had huge upside.

Not sure I like the idea of connecting back to any Wii branded peripherals though, I think they should move forward with clean branding and new remote tech only. But to be fair, there are some 130+ million Wii Remotes in the wild.
I feel you on this completely. Abandoning the Wii remote was wrong and continuing to support it is also wrong in this scenario.

Clean branding and new remote tech should be the way forward.

no way they wont ruin their games, just no way. been calling it for months, hell I would have called it 3 years ago even with the wii u failing. gimmicks is all they can do and rin their games. It's not something I like seeing but it's coming. I don't know if they wll ever make just traditional games again. Just can wish

Zoon

Now I'm really curious about its price.Tegra+720p touchscreen+motion controls+at least two batteries+making a profit from day 1? Rip 200 euro dream.

I used to be one...until Nintendo started treating it as mostly a regular touchscreen for which capacitive would be far better.

This system really should be capacitive; resistive just feels and looks so antiquated (even if it technically is the newer technology). It'd be nice if they did keep stylus support though, like the new iPads or Surface

no way they wont ruin their games, just no way. been calling it for months, hell I would have called it 3 years ago even with the wii u failing. gimmicks is all they can do and rin their games. It's not something I like seeing but it's coming. I don't know if they wll ever make just traditional games again. Just can wish
Joke post???

Literally the only first-party game announced for NX relies 0% on control gimmicks.

Now I'm really curious about its price.Tegra+720p touchscreen+motion controls+at least two batteries+making a profit from day 1? Rip 200 euro dream.

Lower screen resolution/DPI will presumably help, but I don't expect this to be any less than $250, possibly more.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

720p screen isn't going to be that much different in price than 540p at this point in time.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
The report is that there are two controller parts that detach from the portable portion when it's hooked up to a TV.

You could theoretically use a controller in two parts like a Wii Remote as long as the right-hand portion can be used to sense motion/has a pointer.

But each of the controller parts will also probably function like the two halves of the Wii U GamePad/Pro Controller - of a "standard pad design." And you'll probably have some accessory or way to connect them into a single piece, too.
Yeah..that would have to be one heck of a well thought out and elegant design to not look like complete garbage. But hey I'll stay optimistic that they know what they're doing..they really need to show this thing soon.

Yeah..that would have to be one heck of a well thought out and elegant design to not look like complete garbage. But hey I'll stay optimistic that they know what they're doing..they really need to show this thing soon.

I don't see how difficult it'd be. I'm anticipating something like this GAF member mockup, with the controller pieces detaching at the "seams":

https://wakeandgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/christo-nx-mockup.jpg

Curved portion rests against the inside of your hand, your fingers grip the squared side. Seems really comfortable to me.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

There is no reason why a 720p screen will be more expensive than a 540p. The 540p was a popular theory because of battery concerns, not the price.

Peterc

Hey at least we get a new thread out of it.

Sleeker and upgraded gamepad with detatchable Wiimote-like controls = perfection. Hope it all ends up coming together.

Emily is speaking about her osn 4 points I've posted in prev. page

I know that breakdowns of the newest iPhone models give it an estimated materials cost of $240 or so, but obviously there's more overhead than that and they charge nearly triple that at retail.

My question is whether anyone here knows what a company like Nintendo would define as "making a profit" on a console hardware at launch? Are we talking retail price - cost of manufacturing goods, or do they factor in all the overhead?

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
so Emily's tweets confirm some sort of at least a "handheld" or hybrid. I don't believe that was confirmed before.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
so Emily's tweets confirm some sort of at least a "handheld" or hybrid. I don't believe that was confirmed before.

The whole hybrid thing assumes that it works also as handheld.

Yeah that was just a rumor. This seems more legitimate.

This is also a rumour.

But all these rumour converge together. And there are several legit sources corroborating each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom