• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: NX controller supports Wii-like motion control and force-feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
So it's a reverse Wii U with a higher res screen and detachable controllers thus far.

Zoon

I've thought about this quite a bit as well. My bets are firmly on a Sun/Moon port, which I would be very much ok with. I'm basing this off the rumored lack of BC in any capacity. If that rumor proves true, NX would be the first Nintendo "handheld" that can't play the previous gen's Pokemon game/games at launch.

Can't be that, Sun/Moon requires both sreens. You would need to create the game from the start and I see no reason for them doing so. I am still hoping for the inevitable Kanto remake.

On topic: Does anyone have any guesses on what kind of batteries each controller will use? I'd say 1000mah for each controller and 2000-2500mah for the brains.

The_Lump

Banned
720p on a 6inch screen is plenty for a handheld gaming device. I'd rather have nicer graphics + better battery life than a slightly sharper image.

Plus if I want a big screen/HD picture I'll just plug it into the actively cooled dock, allowing the CPU/GPU clock to run at full speed :p

Now 720p is not good enough for some???
If true, I'm pleasantly surprised as I thought it'd be 540p knowing Nintendo and their baby step portable resolution improvements.

Gleethor

Wait, people are disappointed that it might ONLY be 720p? lol. I've been bracing for 540p since this thing was announced, 720p is totally fine.

Edit: what he said ^

Rodin

Yeah that's exactly what i speculated and what i wanted. I don't even give a shit about its performances as a home now, i'll play everything on the portable except maybe some open world titles that look better on the bigger screen. If true, well done Nintendo. Just give me a good battery now.
All I know is that I'm scared.

Not sure how a 720p handheld screen is supposed to impress anyone. The iPhone 6+ has better resolution.
You want a better resolution and worse graphics or better graphics at a lower resolution on a 6" screen?

Shouldn't even be a question, but i'm curious.

Neoxon

Can't be that, Sun/Moon requires both sreens. You would need to create the game from the start and I see no reason for them doing so. I am still hoping for the inevitable Kanto remake.

On topic: Does anyone have any guesses on what kind of batteries each controller will use? I'd say 1000mah for each controller and 2000-2500mah for the brains.
As mentioned before, Game Freak has been doing more than enough Gen 1 pandering with the last 2 generations of Pokémon.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. I thought the WiiU screen was extremely nice and it wasn't portable. 720p would look great.

Mega

Banned
Yes, please @ 720p. Gamecube and Wii ports, modern games, even some indie games... none of that works at 3DS abysmal 240p(!!!) resolution. 720p is perfect.

I have the GPD XD Android handheld with a 720p 5" screen and it's so clear and perfect for every game I throw on that screen. I actually wouldn't mind if Nintendo went down from 6 to 5" to keep the overall size down. The GPD's screen is really more than enough since you're not struggling to make out anything.

Zoon

As mentioned before, Game Freak has been doing more than enough Gen 1 pandering with the last 2 generations of Pokémon.

Let me dream. Now that the mainline games will be in HD it'd be perfect for the first game to be around Kanto

Oregano

I think the larger screen would be a smart move. Nintendo aren't going to get kids to ditch their cell phones, but their aging Android tablets? They could compete there.

Yep Nintendo could easily compete with tablets, especially when you consider their non-gaming expertise with stuff like Flipnote, Art Academy or even something like Wii Fit.

Wii U has 1080p games. No reason a stronger chipset should be locked out from displaying in that resolution when connected to a 1080p display.

You could even just downsample to the screen if you wanted to make a 1080p game.

Schnozberry

I think the larger screen would be a smart move. Nintendo aren't going to get kids to ditch their cell phones, but their aging Android tablets? They could compete there.

6.2 inch screen is the same size as the Wii U Gamepad. At 720p that's pretty close to 240 ppi. More than acceptable for handheld gaming. I wouldn't mind seeing them bump it up to 7 inches for the final product. It puts them firmly range of budget android devices.

Rodin

Yep Nintendo could easily compete with tablets, especially when you consider their non-gaming expertise with stuff like Flipnote, Art Academy or even something like Wii Fit.

You could even just downsample to the screen if you wanted to make a 1080p game.
Exactly, that's what's going to happen with stuff like the rumored Smash 4 port. Hopefully Zelda too.

phanphare

Banned
Also 720p is a gigantic upgrade from the 3DS's 240p.

when it's all said and done this is likely going to be the biggest generational leap for handheld hardware

a casual gamer who owns a 3DS because it plays [_insert_game_] and will get an NX because it's the next thing that will play [_insert_game_] are going to have their damn socks blown off

Kathian

Banned
I mean thats the point in having a split controller. I don't believe they will be pointers (I.e. Wii more) but more gyro type of features but I guess we'll see.

Sendou

Especially since it's our first time hearing it I wouldn't put too much faith in that 720p 6.2 inch screen rumor. Emily herself said it's just things "she heard down the grapevine".

They have to cheap out somewhere if they wanna get it out at a low price and still include everything that has been rumored.

How is Emily Rogers still being referenced? lol. Her track record is utterly pathetic, even more so after this year, in which her biggest claims fell flat completely (gender choice Zelda, Mother 3). When people post the stuff she was supposedly right about, it's common sense babble like ,,the next Nintendo console will get a shooter!!". The only thing she actually got right was Paper Mario coming to WiiU. And that wasn't even her rumour, it was made by several different people and she just jumped on the bandwagon.

I guess these rumours simply sound nice to WiiU fans, which are in need for some positive news, so that's enough credibility for some.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Also 720p is a gigantic upgrade from the 3DS's 240p.

9.6x the pixels in 2D mode. 9.6x! That leap would be insane.

I'm going to keep expecting 540p for a Nintendo handheld until Nintendo confirms anything, though.

I mean thats the point in having a split controller. I don't believe they will be pointers (I.e. Wii more) but more gyro type of features but I guess we'll see.

Well, there was the patent that mentioned the possibility of optical sensors along the top/sides of a handheld device. If they did that, they could put a couple of IR beacons on the center/screen section, (sort of like where they are on the Gamepad) and use that in place of an additional sensor bar when docked.

LordOfChaos

A bit like
apple-tv-siri-4gen-remote.jpg
maybe?

The_Lump

Banned
Those lamenting a 720p 6" screen would do well to remember that gamers with 40" TVs are only just getting used to native 1080p gaming.

For reference, this rumoured NX screen is about 230ppi, whereas a 40" 1080p screen is about 55ppi. Even accounting for how close you generally are to each screen, this is really not something to get worked up about. In fact it's well above my expectations.

(if it's true, of course. And that's a big if)

Neoxon

How is Emily Rogers still being referenced? lol. Her track record is utterly pathetic, even more so after this year, in which her biggest claims fell flat completely (gender choice Zelda, Mother 3). When people post the stuff she was supposedly right about, it's common sense babble like ,,the next Nintendo console will get a shooter!!". The only thing she actually got right was Paper Mario coming to WiiU. And that wasn't even her rumour, it was made by several different people and she just jumped on the bandwagon.

I guess these rumours simply sound nice to WiiU fans, which are in need for some positive news, so that's enough credibility for some.
To be fair to her, she did also get the NX port & voice acting parts for Zelda right, as well as Miiverse on the 3DS. While she's far from perfect, saying that she's "utterly pathetic" is a bit of an overexaggeration. Not to mention that she had the scoop on the NX leaks before they happened (she gave us a heads-up that the Eurogamer leak was coming, implying that she was also in on it).

Rodin

Those lamenting a 720p 6" screen would do well to remember that gamers with 40" TVs are only just getting used to native 1080p gaming.

For reference, this rumoured NX screen is about 230ppi, whereas a 40" 1080p screen is about 55ppi. Even accounting for how close you generally are to each screen, this is really not something to get worked up about. In fact it's well above my expectations.

(if it's true, of course. And that's a big if)

The big screen is pretty far from where you sit though, that's why it looks gorgeous.

But to put things in context, the iPad Retina is 260 ppi. The NX is 240.

RibMan

Now 720p is not good enough for some???
If true, I'm pleasantly surprised as I thought it'd be 540p knowing Nintendo and their baby step portable resolution improvements.

(Assuming the rumor has weight to it)

Millions and millions of people have handheld devices (phones, tablets) that run at a resolution higher than 720p. It's pretty delusional to think 720p is a strong selling point for a high-powered mobile device in 2017. Think about who Nintendo's target audience is, and then think about whether or not the audience has been exposed to higher resolution screens!

Of course, there's more to a screen than just the resolution. The size matters, the panel matters, the power draw matters, the anti-glare matters, the touch matters, etc. With that in mind, while 720p is an outdated resolution, 720p might be the only choice they have for delivering a handheld that won't need to be recharged every 20 minutes. Can they communicate this reality in an effective way?

Baby steps won't work in today's portable market. People have expectations of high performance and forward-technology, and if you're coming out with a product that wouldn't look out of place 3 years ago then you should not expect people to do backflips when you announce the features of your product. The question now becomes what cool selling points the device has. The screen isn't it but the games might be it, the online might be it, the detachable controllers might be it, etc.

But the problem with doing a Sun/Moon port is that you'd be screwing over the 3DS release come November, resulting in most people just waiting for the NX port.

To assume that "most people" who currently own a 3DS and are interested in Pokemon would skip out on Sun/Moon for almost a year sounds insane. If Zelda: BotW were releasing on Wii-U in November but the NX version was promised next summer, would you say the same thing?

How is Emily Rogers still being referenced? lol. Her track record is utterly pathetic, even more so after this year, in which her biggest claims fell flat completely (gender choice Zelda, Mother 3).

Wasn't the gender choice for Breath of the Wild confirmed to have been a bona fide subject of debate by the dev team? I could see that detail reaching someone's ears without much clarity about how far the idea had progressed.

Can't be that, Sun/Moon requires both screens..

Fixed the spelling error for you, and... That actually makes me wonder. It might be possible to rotate the screen on its side, attach the controller halves to the top and bottom (which are now the sides), and emulate "dual-screen" mode, provided that there's enough horizontal space for the top screen since the 3DS uses a widescreen format. Improbable for 3DS games, mind you, but easily doable for regular DS VC.

Really, though, I imagine any 3DS ports of NX games will have their interfaces changed to work on a single-screen. Maybe have the game display in the 3DS resolution and size with a border around it showing the interface? Would be kinda neat.

Why not? Surely Nintendo has had at least vague plans of the NX hardware for a few years now. It's not impossible for Game Freak to have been developing both versions simultaneously. I think it's much less likely for them to have been developing an entirely different game alongside Sun/Moon.

Plum

For reference, this rumoured NX screen is about 230ppi, whereas a 40" 1080p screen is about 55ppi. Even accounting for how close you generally are to each screen, this is really not something to get worked up about.

Exactly. That 60 inch 4K TV still only has 72 pixels per inch and at a relative distance to the one youu might be playing a handheld at it's impossible to see individual pixels. For a dedicated gaming device a higher PPI is completely unnecessary, especially seeing as it would worsen the graphical fidelity of the actual games considerably all whilst lowering the battery life and producing more heat.

Wasn't the gender choice for Breath of the Wild confirmed to have been a bona fide subject of debate by the dev team? I could see that detail reaching someone's ears without much clarity about how far the idea had progressed.

They talked about having Zelda be a playable character. Not a female link. However, it's possible her source saw some of the e3 lanyards early, which showed two images of Link side by side. The hooded one could have been mistaken for a female Link.

nintendoenthusiastgr.jpg

Peltz

6.2" screen is the same size as Wii U's Gamepad, fyi
Damn... Too small for portable multiplayer in my opinion. I would've liked a full tablet size.

6.2" is kind of a weird middle ground for ergonomics and form factor with detachable controllers. You'll have to crane your neck in some fashion when using them detached.

I hope this will change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom