• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why.

Why a Splatoon port instead of a sequel.

And why a Smash port instead of some new characters.

And the shared library seems more unlikely than ever. I don't like tvs. :/

Not to mention it'll be expensive if its powerful. Damnit it'll bomb if its expensive.

All bad news for me. Probably won't worry about getting one this year since it seems to be mostly ports. I'll just keep playing Splatoon, Zelda U, on my WiiU and Smash on 3DS. I'd of course expect one new game, probably 3D Mario this year but overall so far seems bad. Wish for the real reveal more than anything just to know.

Neff

Right but on the opposite spectrum there isn't a market for a third high-end console. I don't see why the average consumer would opt for that when the two other options are established consoles with upcoming revisions.

Wild guess, but Mario + Nintendo IPs + long term tech relevance + some new 'must have' form of interaction is probably what Nintendo is banking on.

Basically a repeat of the Wii's hook factor, plus 3rd party, sans impulse purchase affordability.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Rumors lead to hope which leads to disappointment. Guess we'll see when it eventually gets unveiled.

I'm also not convinced that Nintendo "doing it right"/appeasing GAF and the like would actually result in success either, but who knows.

Clefargle

What's with all these rumors —

*Neiteio pauses and goes pale*

...oh no

*Neiteio runs to the living room and rips open the curtains. Outside in the streets, cars are burning. Everywhere you look, there are men giving people noogies and asking them to pull their finger*

"Uncles! Uncles everywhere!"

Someone called another poster the "Neiteio of OT" and I laughed my ass of when he was confused and we had to explain. Never change please Neiteio...

And we will continue to hear it after NX cause even if NX bombs, Nintendo is unlikely to go anywhere lol.

Well in that case the meme might actually be taken seriously again, but I've already gone into length on that front on other places so there's no need to do so here too.

Sandfox

Why.

Not to mention it'll be expensive if its powerful. Damnit it'll bomb if its expensive.

All bad news for me. Probably won't worry about getting one this year since it seems to be mostly ports. I'll just keep playing Splatoon, Zelda U, on my WiiU and Smash on 3DS. I'd of course expect one new game, probably 3D Mario this year but overall so far seems bad. Wish for the real reveal more than anything just to know.

Sequels will probably take some time to develop.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Are you expecting Smash Bros. and Splatoon sequels at launch?

Game development doesn't work like that. There's obviously going to be new entries in the future.

Don't bother porting then, spend those development hours on new content.

I can play Super Mario Maker and Splatoon perfectly fine right now.

MK_768

Why.

You don't even know what the system is and what games are coming soo...wtf is this lmfao.

Vibranium

Banned
Why.

There will almost certainly be new games like Pikmin 4 at launch. This just makes it easier for Nintendo so they can reinforce NX's launch lineup.

-Horizon-

I would've liked Spla2n as a launch game but yeah, it only came out 1 year ago. I'm guessing mid 2017 is when we'll see the next game with a reveal early 2017 (january-ish). But that's 2 years. Maybe 2018 would be better.

In terms of GPU processing power, I'm predicting it's going to be a low-mid 2TF part. Enough for PS4 ports to run without framerate hitches at 1080p. I don't think Nintendo will push 4K games, but the console probably will have the capability to upscale games to 4K or run 4K video from streaming services.

Indelible

I would be all over enhanced editions of Splatoon and Mario Maker, I haven't gotten around to playing thoughs but I'am interested.

CronoShot

So are we thinking slightly above PS4 or a more significant jump like PS4K?

Also, would the Mario Maker port confirm a controller with a screen? I can't imagine it would work very well without one.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Now I really wish I didn't buy any of the smash dlc

What if the DLC isn't bundle with Smash NX?

Smash NX wishlist:

Custom moves for DLC characters
Palutena Guidances for DLC characters
Fix the CSS
Ice Climbers
Some newcomers like Inkling or something
All 3DS stages
Enable Palutena to use her customs when customs are off like Miis

I second this.

Ice Climbers, Wolf, Inkling, Rhythm Heaven, Takamaru, (Just give us Snake and Geno as well!) :p

Are you expecting Smash Bros. and Splatoon sequels at launch?

Game development doesn't work like that. There's obviously going to be new entries in the future.

Actually, Reggie said the console only get 1 Mario Kart and Smash Bros only. If we are going to get Smash 4 NX then that's it. That's why I think it might be good idea for them to add new contents.

Nanashrew

Banned
Anything that removes barriers to software development can only be a good thing for both consumers who have more choices and developers who have to port or build their games for it who don't have to worry about what features or visuals they'd have to strip out.

My bet is that Nintendo is removing the barriers as exotic hardware is no longer an option in this day and age.

Madao

yeah, just like Tantalus porting Zelda Twilight Princess to Wii U took away manpower from Zelda U....

these ports will be handled by some outside team.
did people forget that Sakurai said the SSB4 team is done? a port of that would come from a different team.

you and about 4 other people. Nintendo put a ton of efford and resources into both of those games, and both were incredibly well received, and for reasons that aren't those individual games' fault, the audience for them was miniscule. It makes perfect sense for them to port them over and get more life (and money) out of them. Nintendo isn't trying to cater to you (the Wii U owner who can play those games perfectly fine right now). They arleady have you. You will most likely buy the system anyway. they are trying and needing to appeal to people that didn't give a shit about the Wii U and who most likely haven't ever played Splatoon or Super Mario Maker. See: How well Last of Us Remastered did on PS4 for an example of why this strategy can work.

Azuran

Banned
I'm certainly not buying an NX in the first year if they're just going to release ports I can already play on my Wii U.

What Nintendo fan doesn't have Smash and Splatoon by now?

Eh, the sequels are comin. They could come now or later, but you'll definitely buy the console if it sounds good and somehow gets support.

MK_768

So are we thinking slightly above PS4 or a more significant jump like PS4K?

Also, would the Mario Maker port confirm a controller with a screen? I can't imagine it would work very well without one.

I would expect slightly above. It's Nintendo. Don't ever expect the best with them lmao.

RedSwirl

This, if true, really goes against my personal theory (one that I think a lot of other people held) that the handheld was going to be the flagship of the NX platform, with a large chunk of games being essentially handheld games that get up-ported to the console with cross-buy. It makes the most sense for both Nintendo's software development and most Japanese software development: make a good handheld that can salvage what's left of the Japanese handheld market (and possibly suck in a lot of Vita developers) and then create a channel through which that software library can appear on a console. The 3DS is five years old already.

That said, what this sounds like -- a console-oriented approach, makes a lot more sense for an earnest effort to appease western publishers. Maybe, just maybe, Nintendo is beginning to act like a company that gets most of its revenue from the west, which it does. It's also ease to assume Kimishima -- a former NOA head, has a lot to do with this direction, but we also have to remember the gears of the NX were already turning before Iwata passed away. A lot of what we eventually get will still be on him. Of course just having the capable hardware and an easy development environment won't be enough. The Gamecube had that much. Nintendo would still need to play ball with third party publishers business-wise instead of just waiting for them to come to its platform. The burden is probably on it to prove NX is a platform where the games from EA, Ubisoft, Take Two, and the like can get a good return of investment. There are just so many other areas where Nintendo would have to not fuck up (read: get on PS4's level) in order to have what people probably want: a PlayStation-like ecosystem that also includes Nintendo games. Nintendo is also probably going to throw another user control method curve ball.

Ports of Mario Maker and Splatoon make perfect sense. Those two games and Smash are online communities and monetization ecosystems (amiibo) Nintendo wants to keep going.

Funny enough PS4/X1 were rumored to be full of remasters. All Nintendo needs is paid online service and the cycle of Nintendo following in the steps of Sony/MS is still legit.

Another NX fanwank wishful thinking rumour. Great, its not like we havent had one of those before...

Its funny how many rumour start by stating that the NX will be more powerful than the PS4/X1 without even one explaining Why.

Its like these fanboys have collectively forgotten that the hardware in both consoles was designed to support features outside of traditional gaming....
Off-TV play is a traditional gaming feature? Lol ok.

TunaLover

You still need a second screen for Splatoon and Mario Maker, I doubt it will require a 'Wii U controller' to play those (?)

God all I want is Ice Climbers in Smash Bros., and Ice Climbers amiibo, and 2-player local and online for Smash Bros.

If NX can deliver that for me with the Wii U ports, NX will be Day 1 for me.

Koh

I won't believe that it's more powerful than the PS4/XB1 until I see it.

Yeah it's 3 years later, but those tech advances could easily be forgone in exchange for older, cheaper tech while maintaining power parity with the competition.

The other rumors seem probable enough.

And one other thing, THE SMASH 4 PORT BETTER SUPPORT THE GAMECUBE ADAPTER , OR ALLOW FOR SOME KIND OF WIRED CONTROLLER, ON THE NX CONSOLE!!!!!! I can't stress that enough. And unless Nintendo wants the NX Platform port of Smash 4 to be DoA, with the competitive scene sticking with the Wii U for the foreseeable future, I'm sure that they'll use their common sense & allow GameCube controllers.....or some kind of wired controller.

There's no reason for why it shouldn't support the GC controller adapter, as the thing will probably have USB ports.

Unless they go down the scummy route and make an NX version of the adapter.

I genuinely don't believe nintendo can compete in the same space as PS4. I think they should have gone with a differentiation strategy (except differentiating in a way people actually want).

Guess we'll see. I rarely play my wii u but I hope NX sells iron man numbers. I just don't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom