• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
More powerful than PS4 sounds plausible. It would be taking the piss if it wasn't coming this late to the party (unless it was uber cheap).

Sounds good so far on all fronts. I doubt I'll be buying one, we'll see what they bring to the table!

Kinsei

Banned
I really hope they can get Mario Maker to work. I'd love to be able to make courses on NX instead of having to go back to my Wii U every time.

I'm surprised at no MK8 rumor. I'm going to take this as a sign that they are skipping over a port and we'll get MK9 within a year of launch even though this points to absolutely nothing.

Log4Girlz

I genuinely don't believe nintendo can compete in the same space as PS4. I think they should have gone with a differentiation strategy (except differentiating in a way people actually want).

Guess we'll see. I rarely play my wii u but I hope NX sells iron man numbers. I just don't see it.

The Ps4 space is well proven. Nintendo niche is hit and miss.

I won't believe that it's more powerful than the PS4/XB1 until I see it.

Yeah it's 3 years later, but those tech advances could easily be forgone in exchange for older, cheaper tech while maintaining power parity with the competition.

The other rumors seem probable enough.

Is it really that hard to believe? The PS4 and Xbox One were not exactly state of the art when they launched, and now we are 3 years into their release. Nintendo could release something of comparable power much in the way the Wii U was comparable to the Xbox360. Not sure how much good it will do them though, but at this point, I don't think having a fairly powerful chipset (well as powerful as "comparable to PS4" can be considered) is going to eat into their cost.

Madao

you and about 4 other people. Nintendo put a ton of efford and resources into both of those games, and both were incredibly well received, and for reasons that aren't those individual games' fault, the audience for them was miniscule. It makes perfect sense for them to port them over and get more life (and money) out of them. Nintendo isn't trying to cater to you (the Wii U owner who can play those games perfectly fine right now). They arleady have you. You will most likely buy the system anyway. they are trying and needing to appeal to people that didn't give a shit about the Wii U and who most likely haven't ever played Splatoon or Super Mario Maker. See: How well Last of Us Remastered did on PS4 for an example of why this strategy can work.

there's also GTAV. that one is still charting and i don't see anyone complaining that the GTAV current gen port took away from Rockstar making GTAVI eventually.

Nintendo definitely saw the potential in these games and what they could do on more popular hardware. leaving them on Wii U would be a waste.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
yeah, just like Tantalus porting Zelda Twilight Princess to Wii U took away manpower from Zelda U....

these ports will be handled by some outside team.
did people forget that Sakurai said the SSB4 team is done? a port of that would come from a different team.

Honestly would have preferred Tantalus making a new game over porting an old one.

Banned
I'd like to know what that closing comment from modbot in the other thread was about too. I don't want to read into it too much but that doesn't match up with what 10k said regarding his contacting with the mods?

edit: and cyan's post I guess!
I have no idea why that potshot was taken against me. I'm just a messenger, who actually did investigating, checked with multiple sources from within the industry, ranging from devs to journalists, PM'd two mods the info, was told by Nirolak it was ok to post, and I posted it as a rumor. If that makes me unverified, so be it. I'm just trying to create fun discussion with legitimate information, I'm a messenger, not an insider, and I'm not doing it for the fifteen minutes of fame. Maybe some mods hadn't seen that Nirolak was informed and assumed I was fake. It's not like I said I knew Miyamoto and had the NX spec sheet with me.

Why.

Why a Splatoon port instead of a sequel.

And why a Smash port instead of some new characters.

And the shared library seems more unlikely than ever. I don't like tvs. :/

Not to mention it'll be expensive if its powerful. Damnit it'll bomb if its expensive.

All bad news for me. Probably won't worry about getting one this year since it seems to be mostly ports. I'll just keep playing Splatoon, Zelda U, on my WiiU and Smash on 3DS. I'd of course expect one new game, probably 3D Mario this year but overall so far seems bad. Wish for the real reveal more than anything just to know.
Who says a smash port wouldn't have new characters? Seems like the simplest addition the port could make to add a nice selling point

I can't believe people are complaining about possible launch day ports.

Ports are better than JUST 1 or 2 new games.

And in no way is this indicitve of the NX being a "port machine" lol what kind of logic is that

The NX will develop it's library in time. We're talking about launch right now.

Shauni

you and about 4 other people. Nintendo put a ton of efford and resources into both of those games, and both were incredibly well received, and for reasons that aren't those individual games' fault, the audience for them was miniscule. It makes perfect sense for them to port them over and get more life (and money) out of them. Nintendo isn't trying to cater to you (the Wii U owner who can play those games perfectly fine right now). They arleady have you. You will most likely buy the system anyway. they are trying and needing to appeal to people that didn't give a shit about the Wii U and who most likely haven't ever played Splatoon or Super Mario Maker. See: How well Last of Us Remastered did on PS4 for an example of why this strategy can work.

I don't know about Super Mario Maker, but didn't Splatoon sell like 4 million copies or something along those lines? I'm not sure I would call that a "minuscule" audience, especially for a brand new IP.

The NX will be more powerful than the PS4. "By a noticeable amount". From the CPU, to GPU, to RAM. Sources don't know the clock speeds, or memory type or amount of memory. But if the CPU is 15-30% stronger than PS4 as alluded to by LCGeek, than the GPU would need to match that bump in order to not bottleneck (Nintendo hates their bottlenecks).
So are we talking about GDDR5X, HBM or what? If your sources don't know the memory type or even the amount, how on earth can you say its RAM will be noticeably more powerful than the PS4s?

This just comes off to me like yet another wishlist. If true though, the handheld bit kills any interest I had. The hybrid idea was the thing that caught my interest in the first place, take that away and it's just another Nintendo console: Great if you want to play Nintendo games, pointless if you want to play third party games.

Sounds cool to me. Zelda is expected, Smash will fill in the inevitable gap for the next game, and Mario Maker/Splatoon will get more exposure.

Really wondering what they'll do for Smash in particular. Having it be a complete edition is obvious, but will there be...

-Graphic improvements? (Onett could be freshened up)
-3DS stages? (Getting all of them is highly unlikely, but awesome stuff like Magicant, Mute City, GB Dream Land and Balloon Fight would be appreciated)
-Fixing of nitpicks people have (like, say, reset button in Events?)
-Any of my personally super unlikely wishes like Smash Run and custom music via SD card? (Sakurai designed the former around a handheld which is fine, but I love the idea of the latter: "Your favorite song didn't make it in? Put it in yourself!")

2 and 4 would be godly, even if by themselves.

-Horizon-

Get Splatoon NX Edition out at launch to help push early adopters (hopefully they'll get whatever problems out of the way so it can allow people to transfer their Wii U stats over so there is more incentive for people to jump)
Then get Spla2n out in 2017-2018 to further push the console sales.
Wouldn't surprise me if we get some more new IPs shown at this E3 as well.

Zebei

Actually, Reggie said the console only get 1 Mario Kart and Smash Bros only. If we are going to get Smash 4 NX then that's it.

If the only smash on NX was a port the console would instantly become a failure to me.

Hyperbole, but damn I would be salty

I don't think anyone needs to be worried about whether or not there will be sequels. The launch lineup obviously isn't going to be 2 games with another 2 games being "50%". The ports are just some nice cash and make the library a little stronger, especially for ll the people who skipped the Wii U.

Nintendo just needs to have the ports keep people sated and keep the rhythm going afterward with new games.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If they are running into trouble porting over Splatoon and Mario Maker because of the controls, wouldn't that mean the controller won't have a screen/gyro?

I don't know about Super Mario Maker, but didn't Splatoon sell like 4 million copies or something along those lines? I'm not sure I would call that a "minuscule" audience, especially for a brand new IP.

The Wii U audience was tiny in comparison the rest of the market. Even if it sold well, it's not that much of a stretch for Nintendo to think it can do even better if it is exposed to what they are hoping is a larger, more mainstream audience with the NX.

MK_768

Honestly would have preferred Tantalus making a new game over porting an old one.

lmao. Are you serious with this? Do you even know what Tantalus' previous projects were? Last 3 were a port of ZombiU, Pony Trails(iOS) and Funky Barn in 2012.

Come on.

-Any of my personally super unlikely wishes like Smash Run and custom music via SD card? (Sakurai designed the former around a handheld which is fine, but I love the idea of the latter: "Your favorite song didn't make it in? Put it in yourself!").
That won't happen, but that would be a game changer.

Instro

Why wouldn't it be more powerful than the consoles that came out 3 years before it?
Well it's Nintendo for one, but for two, GPU performance hasn't exactly been improving at incredible rates due to the issues with smaller process nodes and the slow roll out on better vram.

Clefargle

If they are running into trouble porting over Splatoon and Mario Maker because of the controls, wouldn't that mean the controller won't have a screen/gyro?

It could but it could also indicate trouble adapting the game to Handheld if the NX handheld is real.

Madao

on the flipside, can you imagine how Splatoon would have sold if it was on a console with the Wii's sales and popularity on its prime or even the current PS4's popularity and sales?

Zebei

lmao. Are you serious with this? Do you even know what Tantalus' previous projects were? Last 3 were a port of ZombiU, Pony Trails(iOS) and Funky Barn in 2012.

Come on.

Ponies, farming and zombies.

~One of these things is not like the other~

Anth0ny

have to imagine that's the case, yeah.

speaking of controllers, that GC adapter better be compatible with NX or there will be hell to pay.

Squire

Banned
I've been expecting that at E3 2016 for a while now.

I imagine Mother 3/EarthBound 2 is going to be an E3 reveal to earn goodwill from the fans.

Similar to Mother 1/EarthBound Beginnings last year, only this time hopefully not followed by an abysmal E3 Direct.

She said that Mother 3 would be coming sometime this year so we'll see.

Ah, fair enough. I thought it was kind of strange a Direct happened so close to her mentioning that with nothing materializing.

Why would you expect Mother 3 to be announced? That's like a E3 type of thing.

Eh. It's a cult fandom release of a GBA game. No disrespect, but the audience isn't so big that it needs to be announced on some sort of big stage. I mean, it's going to be in a Direct either way. I don't see why it needs to be E3.

Neiteio

First Smash NX deets here, according to my Uncle Jimtendo:

- Game supports cross-platform pool with WiiU players, as well as NX-only pool for those using expanded roster; the salt will be real, but this is Nintendo's way of forcing you to upgrade!

- New online mode allows the use of custom moves and Mii Fighters. The Miis appear as generics to players that aren't on your Friends list, but Mii Fighter outfits will still show!

- NX roster includes all characters from base game + all DLC including Mii Fighter outfits, as well as Splatoon newcomers — Inklings (Male and Female, using Splattershots), Callie (using Rollers), and Marie (using Chargers) — and several returning veterans: Ice Climbers, Wolf and Snake (Konami be praised)!

- NX version will be marketed with the headline "Smash x Splatoon," targeting Japan where Splatoon is a phenomenon

- NX version will include all 3DS stages, enhanced in HD, along with all WiiU stages, the return of Summit and Shadow Moses Island, and two all-new Splatoon stages!

- NX version will also feature a deluxe version of Smash Run, alongside all WiiU modes!

- A new stage hazard and boss hazard toggle has been added — reduce or increase the frequency of hazards and bosses, or switch them off altogether!

- A new mode allows you to choose one character per stock. A variant of this mode allows you to switch freely between the characters in your team. And in multiplayer, players can play on teams and tag each other in/out!

- A treasure trove of new trophies and music tracks to collect!

- Dramatically expanded options and assets in Stage Builder, taking inspiration from the robust level editor in Mario Maker!

Someone called another poster the "Neiteio of OT" and I laughed my ass of when he was confused and we had to explain. Never change please Neiteio...
Thank you. I'll do my best to continue to be me!

*brisk salute*

Nanashrew

Banned
Yeah, some think Splatoon 2 could be ready for launch.

It's not that easy.

I'd say if a Splatoon port isn't ready, it might mean that Spla2n is around the corner. It didn't take them long to make the first game and I have no doubt they've been working on a sequel for a good while now.

Anything goes at this point since it's not guaranteed.

-Horizon-

I genuinely don't believe nintendo can compete in the same space as PS4. I think they should have gone with a differentiation strategy (except differentiating in a way people actually want).

Guess we'll see. I rarely play my wii u but I hope NX sells iron man numbers. I just don't see it.

I don't think they're trying to compete in terms of tech, but more just making sure that ports are possible in terms of parity. They can no longer just abandon 3rd party.
Just a bump in power (if true of course) I would say is just from tech becoming more mature and efficient.
No one is expecting the NX to be full of the newest stuff on the market.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I'll probably get laughed at for thinking this but I fully expect NX to be at least comparable to PS4K performance wise.

MK_768

Pnonies, farming and zombies.

~One of these things is not like the other~

Are you not getting the point? They aren't exactly a serious developer. They should stick to ports cause that's all they are useful for. That's just a fact lol.

VariantX

Because at this point, it's almost definitely not backwards compatible with Wii U.

And there's the fact that a lot of people skipped the Wii u for various reasons could give the nx a shot and would get to try some of these games on the nx for the first time. I'm sure with the numbers the ps4 has, a lot of those people jumped from the 360 to ps4 got to play and enjoy those ps3 games they missed like uncharted collection, God of war 3, and the last of us.

10K dun good gathering this info. Hopefully Nintendo can figure out how to transfer data saves (not sure why they are have trouble doing this) because that would convince me to buy the NX and these ports day one.

You wanted the developers of Funky Barn to make a Zelda game?

RowdyReverb

From the post:
None of my sources indicated troubled development of splatoon and mario maker were controls related, so either it has a screen controller or the second screen support hinted at by the reddit leaker in the OP was right and there will be some kind of optional screen controller or smartglass like features.

Bowl0l

the features i hope to get:
doesn't come with region lock.
ability to upgrade internal HDD
(up to 8TB and it's 3.5").
not another tablet controller.
able to download and play digital
download games at 2 consoles.
able to buy, download and play
digital download from different
region.

Calvero

Banned
Why.

Why a Splatoon port instead of a sequel.

More time to develop a sequel? Porting it to a new system will rejuvenate attention?

And why a Smash port instead of some new characters.

Smash port makes a lot more sense considering the time frame of SSB releases. And we still wouldn't know that they won't release new characters.

Shauni

The Wii U audience was tiny in comparison the rest of the market. Even if it sold well, it's not that much of a stretch for Nintendo to think it can do even better if it is exposed to what they are hoping is a larger, more mainstream audience with the NX.

I honestly think it's a pretty big stretch to think a brand new and unproven IP that was very heavy on quirk could break a lot more than 4 million regardless of the console base. I mean, yeah, it's possible, but unlikely. Super Mario Maker works for your point, but Splatoon much less so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom