• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Rainbow 6 Patriots has been redesigned from the ground up three times

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Eh Patriots was never greenlit to begin with as the story goes, it was the studio pitch that got leaked and media ran with

Being a big fan of the rainbow series before it got retarded ie lockdown, Vegas. I loved rainbow six and black arrow and would love to see that make a comeback.
Black Arrow was so fun, but with the sales expectations of games in today's market you can't make a game with mechanics that are as niche as Black Arrow. Not enough people want to play the tactical type shooters like Black Arrow apparently.

So that vid with the family in the house and the seals on the bridge with the bomb wasn't actually a game? Who would do such a thing to mislead their core audience?

You're being sarcastic, but they were extremely upfront about it being a concept video and not actual gameplay.

Dabanton

Shame really, as Ubi basically owns that genre. None of the other big boys are making semi tactical action games.

You would think they would be able to get something decent out.

Foffy

Banned
Why does Ubisoft have this issue with so many of their games? Especially the Tom Clancy series. Splinter Cell Conviction and Ghost Recon Future Soldier were both games that got redesigned from what we were shown, and what we got in the end was a weaker game...

I can only imagine Rainbow Six Patriots will complete the trinity.

Dennis

Banned
Remember when Rainbow Six: Vegas was one of the first games for Xbox 360 and how big a deal that game was?

Yeah.

Trey

There was a time where I used to play all the Tom Clancy franchises concurrently: Chaos Theory, Rainbow Six: Vegas, GRAW.

Such a shame.

GQman2121

Banned
You're being sarcastic, but they were extremely upfront about it being a concept video and not actual gameplay.

I know. It was obvious just by looking at it that there was no way they were shipping a game that resembled anything close to what they were showing off.

There was a time where I used to play all the Tom Clancy franchises concurrently: Chaos Theory, Rainbow Six: Vegas, GRAW.

Such a shame.
Yep, I couldn't imagine last gen without those games. They got me right from the beginning with Rainbow Six Vegas and GRAW and kept me going all the way up to the stellar Blacklist, one of my last Xbox 360 games.

More of all of those games please.

Alienous

They should focus on and release a Terrorist Hunt mode for people to play. Who actually cares about the narrative and context?

I know it's Clancyverse, but I'm hoping Team Rainbow goes back to its multinational roots instead of burly Americans dealing with terrorists in the homeland.

The idea of Rainbow was to have a rapid reponse elite team that could deploy -anywhere- with the best operators of every nation's top forces. In the last few games, you'd be lucky if one team member had a slightly British accent.

I want to storm the Tokyo subway with a Brazilian grenadier or lay down sniper fire from the Petronas towers in Kuala Lumpur with a German marksman, that kind of thing...

Acccent

I understand that things come up organically throughout the creative process but that strikes me as pretty ridiculous for a moderately successful franchise.

What are they thinking?!
It's almost as if they actually liked and believed in the franchise enough to give it whatever resources it takes to make a good game, instead of just trying to make easy money devoid of any passion! Crazy.

How do you screw up Rainbow Six 3 times?

I mean, how hard can it be to slap some set pieces and cinematic gameplay on that joint? Sprinkle some collectables in there with a sick RPG upgrade system. Maybe a dash of Mark & Execute for some flavor. C'mon Ubi, stick to the recipe.
Haha. Hahaha... I'm glad it gets rebooted till it's good enough instead of just being what you describe. Hopefully you were being sarcastic? Cause that line of thinking is exactly what's wrong with AAA game dev

I liked Future Soldier :(

And that's cool, you are entitled to your opinion.

For me the ghost recon franchise after the original and its expansions always played the a fineline between a tac shooter and arcade shooter.

Future soldier crossed that line for me and it was terrible.

Crappy maps, crappy cover system, COD like gameplay, roadie run, no player controlled lobbies etc, etc, etc.

I have little faith in redstorm being able to make a tac shooter again.

Hystzen

It hard to try and put hunting and climbing towers in Rainbow six after all every ubisoft game needs have same shit to fill out the game

LoveCake

I have been looking forward to this game since the first video reveal.

Maybe they were planning on releasing on the PS3/X360 & then moved to the PS4/X1 only, they have also shown that new game engine, so maybe they have just gone back to scratch each time ?

I love the Rainbow Six games, hopefully there is a game coming out in the future, maybe it's being worked on for VR tech (Project Morpheus / Oculus Rift) that would be amazing !

I have been looking forward to this game since the first video reveal.

Maybe they were planning on releasing on the PS3/X360 & then moved to the PS4/X1 only, they have also shown that new game engine, so maybe they have just gone back to scratch each time ?

I love the Rainbow Six games, hopefully there is a game coming out in the future, maybe it's being worked on for VR tech (Project Morpheus / Oculus Rift) that would be amazing !

VR as a main thing is out of the question. The amount of money it would take to make an Rainbow Six and the amount they could earn as an VR game don't match up.

Jawmuncher

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Odd that Tom Clancy games have been having development hell yet AC is cranked out every year with no issues.

Alx

Although it may sound bad, I think it's a common and even recommended practice in game development to restart things from the ground up. Or at least it's not something one should be afraid to do, since doing a new version with the experience of the previous one is sometimes more efficient than trying to make a flawed design work.
I don't know about doing it three times, though, that seems a lot.

Jawmuncher

Although it may sound bad, I think it's a common and even recommended practice in game development to restart things from the ground up. Or at least it's not something one should be afraid to do, since doing a new version with the experience of the previous one is sometimes more efficient than trying to make a flawed design work.
I don't know about doing it three times, though, that seems a lot.

They should have went the capcom route and turned the previous builds into new IPs.

Sec0nd

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Odd that Tom Clancy games have been having development hell yet AC is cranked out every year with no issues.

They actually try and innovate with the Tom Clancy games. And they obviously have difficulties with that. Resulting in development hell and mediocre games such as Conviction and Future Soldier. AC on the other hand is literally the same game since one with minor changes and crazy teams with 1000s of people.

I hope that everything turns out well for Rainbow 6: La-li-lu-le-lo. Terrorist Hunt in Vegas (and Vegas 2) is where I spent a majority of my time with last-gen, and I would love to spend more time with it in this era.

StuBurns

Banned
I'd rather they spend a long time on it, and throw out whatever doesn't work, until they've got a quality game. I'm not sure I really understand the negativity in this thread. If any of those three games had shipped and been shit, that would have been far worse.

Jawmuncher

I'd rather they spend a long time on it, and throw out whatever works, until they've got a quality game. I'm not sure I really understand the negativity in this thread. If any of those three games had shipped and been shit, that would have been far worse.

Future Soldier and Conviction went through similar developments and I wouldn't say the version we got were exactly "quality". But then again maybe what we got really was better than previous ideas.

They should scrap whatever Michael bay cinematic crap they have going now and give us the hardcore tactical sim we deserve. Make a game worthy of the name rainbow six.

Yup, no celeb voice actors, no set-piece packed campaign, just old fashioned R6 goodness. It'd cost them far less, and probably get better reviews and thus, better publicity.

StuBurns

Banned
Future Soldier and Conviction went through similar developments and I wouldn't say the version we got were exactly "quality". But then again maybe what we got really was better than previous ideas.
It's true, I didn't like either of those games, but I would be surprised if Ubi had thrown out better games to make them.

I'm not saying Patriots will be good, just that I imagine it'll be better than it would have been had they shipped something they obviously don't think is good enough.

Ntsouls

Banned
How difficult would it have been to make Rainbow six vegas 3? Or even move the game to another locale?

Nuts.

Its been 6 years...We could have had 3 or 4 in that time.

Ramenman

This thread proves once again that no matter what you do with a license, some people on the internet will always be unpleased.
EDIT : just to be clear, I'm not reproaching people for having an opinion or wanting something in particular, but just to point out that the thing you want isn't always the "obvious best thing they should obviously do".

Do "more of the same" :
"It's always just more of the same ! you're milking this franchise for money you terrible capitalist who likes money !"

Try something new, it fails, release a shitty game :
"What a clusterfuck ! You're killing the franchise !"

Try something new, it fails, cancel project and try something else because you're in the lucky position where you can afford this :
"How hard can it be to just do more of the same ? Just release something ffs !"

Now obviously, there is the solution where you try something new and it works. But it never happens on the first try. Even the biggest and coolest studios you love do stuff that doesn't work, and have to produce it first in some way to realise it doesn't work, and thus throw away huge chunks of work.

You just don't know it because it isn't out in the press and isn't called "reboot" on a rumor post on Kotaku, so it all feels less dramatic.

Jesus christ.

Just make another Rainbow Six game... none of this choice shit.

It would be much better financially for Ubisoft than the current 'strategy'

If the game was rebooted 3 times, it means they *are* doing something new. Each time.

If they reboot the game it's because whatever they're trying to do failed. You don't reboot a project to retry something that failed.

Look at open-world Splinter Cell conviction, it was rebooted to be very different. This is just one example.

UrbanRats

Doing a good R6 game is so easy, it's not even funny:

Mission 1:
Terrorists have taken hostages inside a small villa.
--
1) Select your team of 5 (+1 that is you) from a bunch of international professionals with various specializations.

2) Select gear for the team, analyzing the map's plans and what info you have available.

3) Select attack strategy, entry points and various mission steps.

4) Execute said plan.
------
Mission 2:
Terrorist have kidnapped Nuclear scientist Dr. Hoskins, they're holding him in a farm in the mountains.

1) Select you team... etc etc.

Repeat for 20 or so missions, add co-op.
You've got a game.

Fuck deep narratives and storylines, i'll guarantee you nobody gives a shit.
Plus you can sell extra missions and shit as DLC, how about that?

Floex

I'm surprised (like most people here) why they don't go back to basics and look what made the old games popular. The franchise went down hill as soon as they started chasing the COD dollar, see Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. Stripped of what makes it stand apart where the causals do not want it and the hardcore do not want it. One of the blandest games I played last gen, had potential but ultimately dull.

People were going ga ga for the last reveal, my face was :/ the whole time. It looked like some Michael Bay nonsense.

Disaster in the making..

Reminiscent of Conviction.. Which started out as a novel and interesting idea, but turned into a game that was average on every dimension.

Top Bottom