• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Rainbow 6 Patriots has been redesigned from the ground up three times

I'm surprised (like most people here) why they don't go back to basics and look what made the old games popular. The franchise went down hill as soon as they started chasing the COD dollar, see Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. Stripped of what makes it stand apart where the causals do not want it and the hardcore do not want it. One of the blandest games I played last gen, had potential but ultimately dull.

People were going ga ga for the last reveal, my face was :/ the whole time. It looked like some Michael Bay nonsense.

I think there is room both for a traditional Raven Shield kind of game, but also a faux tactical AAA shooter that is not as fast as CoD, but not as slow as an old Rainbow game.

It's the same fantasy that Splinter Cell goes for - deadly precision and a larger "cool" factor then the typical action hero that CoD and similar games portray.

Acccent

I don't get why people are assuming stuff about the game's content, which these news don't say anything about. It might have been rebooted specifically to make it more faithful to the first R6 games.

Marcel

I don't get why people are assuming stuff about the game's content, which these news don't say anything about. It might have been rebooted specifically to make it more faithful to the first R6 games.

Which in of itself is yet another assumption.

Hip Hop

We need Swat/Cop themes to start taking over. Not a huge fan of futuristic settings, so I hope COD and Battlefield stray away from modern military themes and in to Swat themes. So much potential, from multiplayer maps to single player missions and settings.

With the rumored Battlefield game of 2014, I hope it pushes towards that path.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 was kind of going in a better direction, but the absence of pre-planning the missions was a major let down.

As for the multiplayer, the static spawn areas were obvious spawn camping zones and could easily be exploited by opposing players...this type of spawn design must be left to die out, it doesn't work anymore, and it's lazy design.

One thing RBV2 had going for it was the sound though, damn was the sound great in that game.

Xater

I feel like they are always overthinking Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six. Just give be Rainbow Six 3 2.0 and I'll be happy.

Marcel

We need Swat/Cop themes to start taking over. Not a huge fan of futuristic settings, so I hope COD and Battlefield stray away from modern military themes and in to Swat themes. So much potential, from multiplayer maps to single player missions and settings.

With the rumored Battlefield game of 2014, I hope it pushes towards that path.

Why would a game called Battlefield that has been about big map warfare for years and years suddenly start taking a SWAT theme?

smik

The franchise went down hill as soon as they started chasing the COD dollar, see Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. Stripped of what makes it stand apart where the causals do not want it and the hardcore do not want it. One of the blandest games I played last gen, had potential but ultimately

Simply your post is wrong

GRFS doesnt even closely resemble anything from cod so i dont where your getting that from, its completely offers a different experience from nearly everypoint, its 3rd person, MP is drastically different with a really good balance between weapons and gadgets, skilled.based and not reliant on xp, 4 player campaign etc...

GRFS stands on its own 2 feet, there is nothing like it on the current market

Also GRFS actually sold well for ubisoft it has been documented

I'm surprised (like most people here) why they don't go back to basics and look what made the old games popular. The franchise went down hill as soon as they started chasing the COD dollar.

How was it chasing COD when R6 Vegas released an entire year before COD4?
And the last Rainbow 6 game released 3-4 months after COD4 with the only major change being running which was severely needed it Vegas 1.

It's almost as if they actually liked and believed in the franchise enough to give it whatever resources it takes to make a good game, instead of just trying to make easy money devoid of any passion! Crazy.
The two aren't mutually exclusive, you know.

Ty4on

How was it chasing COD when R6 Vegas released an entire year before COD4?
And the last Rainbow 6 game released 3-4 months after COD4 with the only major change being running which was severely needed it Vegas 1.
Oh yeah, Vegas 1 was kind of slow :p

Really hope we do get another just because Vegas 1 multiplayer is the best experience I had on the 360. It was before the CoD crowd came and I loved how the cool stuff from SP was still possible in MP.

Watching a scripted breach in later games always made me laugh because I could choose how and where (and of course not to) I'd beach a door in Vegas instead of being told everything I had to do.

Just remake Rogue Spear with updated graphics. Boom instant game of the generation.

Rogue Spear for the COD generation? The metacritic score would be around 42%.

There's just no room for games like Rogue Spear, Ghost Recon (first game) and Delta Force anymore. People just want to get in, shoot shit up and die, call someone a fag and repeat, over and over again, in tiny ass maps. Sometimes with robots. That's all.

jelly

Ubisoft are like a black hole for devs and all they seem to get left with is filler ideas and cross game features that should never be used in one game let alone another. Nothing feels uniquely for that game in a good way, just constantly boring or half assed. They have decent IP but are so wasteful. Such a weird studio right now. Without AC they could be screwed.

I had Rogue Spear and loved it. Played VEGAS for about 20 minutes and hated it.

Hopefully they're starting over again because the trailers didn't give me much faith. Leftwing Uber Patriotic Communists? Lol.

Mondy

Banned
Look at all that desperation to stay ahead of the curve on sales trends. I wonder if it'll be reworked from the ground up again in order to introduce Mechs....

Rogue Spear for the COD generation? The metacritic score would be around 42%.

There's just no room for games like Rogue Spear, Ghost Recon (first game) and Delta Force anymore. People just want to get in, shoot shit up and die, call someone a fag and repeat, over and over again, in tiny ass maps. Sometimes with robots. That's all.

But then there's DayZ and its offshoots, where being cautious and slow and vigilante is both rewarding and necessary. It's surprising the type of games that can be made when you don't need to sell +5 millions of copies to be considered a success.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Eh Patriots was never greenlit to begin with as the story goes, it was the studio pitch that got leaked and media ran with

...But it had a Game Informer cover and a CG trailer at the VGAs.

Maybe Game Informer wanted to give them a free cover story without their permission! Obviously interviewing staff when higher ups didn't realize.

But then there's DayZ and its offshoots, where being cautious and slow and vigilante is both rewarding and necessary. It's surprising the type of games that can be made when you don't need to sell +5 millions of copies to be considered a success.

Yup. DayZ has PvP but it's a very slow process, hour long fire fights that only result in three or four dead.

SparkTR

Even then DayZ is getting there (nearly 2m). ArmA 3 also sold a bunch. They're more long-range firefights, but a $15-$20 download-only Rainbow Six like Rogue Spear could be great, and ArmA and DayZ show there's an audience.

BratmanDu

I remember playing the first R6 on PC, where you could create routes through the mission for AI squads to follow, and even give them points to wait at for your 'go' codes, that was awesome. I think even the ps1 version had a rudimentary planning element, and I remember enjoying that version somewhat too.

No chance you'd see anything that complex these days.

The R6:p trailer is still the best game trailer ever. That game would have been so awesome if Ubisoft didnt fuck it up. I hope we just get a next gen port of RG:V 1 & 2 at this point. I miss T Hunt so much.

No Love

Banned
Oh yeah, Vegas 1 was kind of slow :p

Really hope we do get another just because Vegas 1 multiplayer is the best experience I had on the 360. It was before the CoD crowd came and I loved how the cool stuff from SP was still possible in MP.

Watching a scripted breach in later games always made me laugh because I could choose how and where (and of course not to) I'd beach a door in Vegas instead of being told everything I had to do.

Rainbow Six Vegas was definitely one of the best multiplayer games on 360 before Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 hit. It's a shame they didn't just make Rainbow Six Vegas 3. They could've had it released in this launch window and sold a TON of copies to hungry PS4/XB1 owners.

Jarrod38

Come on Ubisoft like others have said in the thread just make a Terrorist Hunt mode for the Xbox One and Playstation 4 and I will be set for life.

at least once for sure.

If you look at the initial ghost recon future soldier, the game looked so much better then what was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFVG65kt61c
I really hated the change, it went from playing as Ghosts to some sort of Mercenaries, I hated the change, the Original Version had so many good qualities.

It is sad how Patriots was also shaping up to be something awesome and now it is lost forever, whatever we get will suck big times.
I think Red Storm is on this project as well along with Toronto.

They're just support studios.
I think Red Storm is all about making the MP side of Tom Clancy games. (except Splinter Cell)
If I recall they were also part of the MP of Patriots.
Eh Patriots was never greenlit to begin with as the story goes, it was the studio pitch that got leaked and media ran with
Seriously ?!, why would it not be greenlit ?!, From the Target Footage, David Sears was making something special as far as I could tell, not to mention the story premise was quite great.

I remember playing the first R6 on PC, where you could create routes through the mission for AI squads to follow, and even give them points to wait at for your 'go' codes, that was awesome. I think even the ps1 version had a rudimentary planning element, and I remember enjoying that version somewhat too.

No chance you'd see anything that complex these days.

Not from a major publisher, anyway. I could see an indie studio tackle it on a smaller budget.

Top Bottom