• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Rainbow 6 Patriots has been redesigned from the ground up three times

RedSwirl

The only glimmer of hope I have here is how Ubisoft seems to have learned the value of player choice in games. Far Cry 3 did well and according to interviews Ubisoft took that as a sign that players want to "define their own experiences" in games. That seems to have lead to Assassin's Creed 4 and Splinter Cell Blacklist being more open-ended than the previous games, if only by a little bit. My only hope is that this philosophy carries into Rainbow Six or maybe even next-gen Ghost Recon. The one thing I miss about the old games is the sandbox mission structure. That's really all I want back.

They should scrap whatever Michael bay cinematic crap they have going now and give us the hardcore tactical sim we deserve. Make a game worthy of the name rainbow six.

demolitio

They should scrap whatever Michael bay cinematic crap they have going now and give us the hardcore tactical sim we deserve. Make a game worthy of the name rainbow six.

I lost all hope of these series returning to their roots, especially after the last Ghost Recon game.

Didn't David Sears work R6: Patriots as a lead in the beginning? We know how that went since he's now making H-Hour which will actually bring us some teamwork-oriented gameplay.

I played countless hours of Rainbow Six: Raven Shield.

Damn...so much fun and so much better than Counter Strike. So many maps, and also the fact that since it was using UE, you could create custom maps.

C4 and claymores while camping were great. Not to mention heartbeat sensor and heatbeat sensor jammers.

Time flies... that was around 10 years ago.

dtg

Neo Member
They're trying to figure out how they can put xp levels, unlockables, perks, and achievements into the tactical Rainbow Six universe.

foxdvd

I wish they took 1/1000000 of the money wasted on this so far, and put out a few new terrorist hunt maps every month for a few bucks a pop and they would have ended up making more money in the long run...(same goes for the coop maps from GRAW 2)

Hip Hop

They clearly have no clue what they are doing.

I really don't know if I should blame them. The gameplay had clearly need to be totally revamped from the last Rainbow Six game.

Many shooters have been greatly designed since then, I don't know if having a similar style of the Rainbow Six games would have been a good choice. They need to find a sweet spot, but yeah, this looks really bad regardless. I'm sure they will come through. Ubisoft always does this.

RSBeaver

Banned
This is by far the best series that I have played in my years of gaming. I remember spending hours upon hours playing Raven Shield and Rogue Spear. Great games. The Vegas series were decent as well. Mind you, I found Vegas 2 made its turn closer COD, which is very unfortunate. I hope they get the next Rainbow Six installment right! R6 needs to go back to their roots and get this game and series to where it should be (tactical shooter) but I am not holding my breath...

Shaanyboi

Banned
Jesus, this game will never make its money back. It's a money sink and nothing more.

How little confidence do you have in your product that you are rebooting so often? And it's not even like a Nintendo thing of "a good game may be delayed but a bad game is bad forever." Look at Future Soldier. That looked like a better game BEFORE you rebooted.

smik

Jesus, this game will never make its money back. It's a money sink and nothing more.

How little confidence do you have in your product that you are rebooting so often? And it's not even like a Nintendo thing of "a good game may be delayed but a bad game is bad forever." Look at Future Soldier. That looked like a better game BEFORE you rebooted.

Such a HUGE misconception here on GAF and your opinion on GRFS is just plain wrong

GR:Future soldier is not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination and is actually one of the best MP 3rd person military shooters out there, very well thought out MP design and along with the co-op campaign packaged together with guerilla mode GR:FS was fantastic and great value
(PC version was poorly optimize and had bugs)

also GR:FS actually sold rather well (roughly 2+million maybe 3) and sold better than expected for ubisoft (look it up) GR:FS backlash comes from the Original fans of the PC crowd when the OG GR was a FPS, GRFS also reviewed fairly well and received some great scores.

problem is that they need to release these titles every 2-3 years consistently not every 6+, really want to see R6 and GRFS back on the market again

Radix

Neo Member
I've lost all hope.

At least R6: Raven Shield still looks and plays well. Hopefully Ground Branch will fill the void, it's coming soon to Early Access and it uses UE4.

Omega

Banned
I was excited for this game but at this point fuck it.

If it's been remade 3 times, it's because it wasn't accessible enough for the mainstream gamer

Burgerface

Neo Member
Gotta admit, I'd be into this. A campaign with a mix of Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six and Splinter Cell missions woven together into one Tom Clany-esque story? Count me the fuck in.

They tried to connect the story lines of HAWX and Ghost Recon right? I didn't play the game but the trailer for HAWX has characters from ghosts in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lIAQ8t4KLw

All they would of had to do is take the vegas formula and take it somewhere else, they had solid gameplay mechanics and really strong gunplay.

What if this game needs to sell 5 million copies to break even now? I guess we can say goodbye to the Rainbow Six franchise after this game is released

Poor brave rainbow 6. How fast it became a niche series after COD4 its reign.

The adjustments they made for Vegas 2 in response to COD4(like the addition of sprint) were good enough to keep them competitive, they already were different enough with the more tactical gameplay and gametypes.

But its like the just gave up there.

Gotta admit, I'd be into this. A campaign with a mix of Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six and Splinter Cell missions woven together into one Tom Clany-esque story? Count me the fuck in.

Endwar had Ghosts, Rainbow 6 characters and the main character of Ghost Recon is the American general.

Ominym

Banned
They tried to connect the story lines of HAWX and Ghost Recon right? I didn't play the game but the trailer for HAWX has characters from ghosts in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lIAQ8t4KLw

All they would of had to do is take the vegas formula and take it somewhere else, they had solid gameplay mechanics and really strong gunplay.
They've done other stuff like this over the years. I think in Splinter Cell, there's a mission where Sam infiltrates an oil rig, and after finishing up his portion Lambert says Team Rainbow will be coming in to secure the rig.

I also think the Splinter Cell program has been referenced in the GRAW series. But I can't remember where.

Scum

Fucking hell! :O

Sometimes I'm astonished that Ubisoft can get Assassin's Creed out the door every year, sometimes with large scale changes, but they try to release Rainbow Six or a racing game and just implode.

I was going to mention this. Assassin's Creed? Sure. Why not. Anything else? Errrmmm...errr...

I fear for Ubisoft...

charsace

I loved the what they showed of the plot in this game because I could see something on a smaller scale happening in real life where a rich person gets killed.

Valkrai

So its like Conviction all over again but on a much worse level?

It sucks hearing stuff like this, I bet the cost of making it is absolutely massive, nowhere near being profitable when releasing.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
It doesn't matter how good R6P ends up (if at all), if it's aiming for the CoD/BF market then it has a long road ahead and needs to have its own personality.

RdN

That makes me sad.. I love the series since it's inception, played a ton of Rainbow Six 3 on Xbox Live back in 2003-2004 and a lot of Vegas.

Hopefully they can release a quality product.

Dysun

This thread made me look up some Vegas 2 Terrorist Hunt Youtube videos. I had good times with that game, sad to see it never got a successor.

Why didn't they ever do Advanced Warfighter 3? I loved 1 and 2. Anyways this is sad for rainbow six series as I cannot see a good way out of it.....

It's funny because if they put out the first version or the third version it would probably be a totally average Ubisoft third person shooter.

Shit man, at this point I've lost all hope for this series. Based on Future Soldier Ubi thinks that games that require even an angstrom of tactical strategy are unprofitable. A shame because me and my buddy had so much fun doing Terrorist Hunt missions back in our Middle School days.

Top Bottom