• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor says the Nintendo Switch will receive a major hardware upgrade this year.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
If Nintendo is aiming for that 20 million sales target, they're going to need produce a new Switch iteration that is more powerful that
will get the fence sitters to jump off and buy one.

A simple refresh of the current model with a bigger screen, better resolution and memory won't cut it IMO. The machine
is screaming for a performance increase. I'm sure third party developers are also communicating this to Nintendo as well.

I'm going to predict that the "Mariko" chip is a custom Tegra X2 that will both increase performance and not break compatibility
with older games.

Any "refresh" iteration that doesn't include a significant performance upgrade will be a huge let down for me.

I think it just needs better battery life and more internal storage, to be honest.

They could improve the horsepower, but it's a risky approach. I don't think they're doing that... But good luck!

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If they want more third-party ports they will want better hardware.
Up to a point.

Nintendo systems gear to younger audiences that don't seem to care for online competition as much. I know some people will say..... but SSB and Mario Kart are all about online. But most third party game sell like crap on Nintendo systems, so they don't bother.

People will focus on PC, MS or Sony systems for a wide spectrum of games and online, but for those key first party Nintendo games, that's what it's used for. Game companies are so hungry for multiplat sales, just about every game maker will make a PC, MS and Sony version..... but a Nintendo version?....... maybe. Sales are so low, it's not even worth porting over.

A great example was Wii U. It launches with a solid selection of third party games. You'd think someone buying it would help their Wii U library by also buying Madden or Batman or Black Ops 2 or whatever..... but they didn't. The games were just as good as the 360/PS3 version, but they preferred buying first party games and ZombieU. But when it came to Batman or FIFA or whatever, they went back to buying it for 360 or PS3.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
That is false... there are products that can’t even be die shrink to lower process without huge design changes... Cell (40nm) could’t be lowered anymore for example... old GCN chips can’t die shrink so they needed new redesign.

Each die shrink is a redesign by itself.

Another classic example RSX (45nm) couldn’t receive more more die shrink without nVidia redesign a new version that Sony never paid for.

Your ideia of any chip can be manufactured to a lower process with zero R&D just shows how you have no ideia what are you talking about.
It really is as simple as I say. Obviously I was wrong saying it would take zero R&D.
A Switch revision at 7nm has a few positives such as increased performance, battery life and eventual decreased manufacturing costs. This can be achieved with minimal effort on nvidias part.

ethomaz

Banned
It really is as simple as I say. Obviously I was wrong saying it would take zero R&D.
A Switch revision at 7nm has a few positives such as increased performance, battery life and eventual decreased manufacturing costs. This can be achieved with minimal effort on nvidias part.
Tegra X1 is not designed to 7nm... it is not even designed to 16nm.

Unless nVidia create a new chip for Nintendo that won’t happen.

It is not simple to make die shrink of chip designed to higher process... some designs are even impossible unless you do drastic changes.

BTW that is how it happens nowdays:

In this, the whole die is re-layed out and units are moved around. Usually an attempt is made to minimize the amount of changing that occurs (to keep schedule and team size small) so schematics generally remain the same, but changes to circuitry and wiring are made to take better advantage of the new process characteristics. The die size is small than it would be with a shrink, and the circuitry generally runs quite a bit faster.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
If Nintendo's consoles had the same horsepower as every other, developers would still find an excuse to not support it.

Resident Evil was ported to the GBC at one point, this whole idea that all systems have to have similar level technology is total BS.

Making the Switch more powerful is NOT the answer..

Christopher

If you upgrade you can’t trade your switch in until you migrated the games over to the new one am I correct???

I know it doesn’t have a cloud like service

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If Nintendo's consoles had the same horsepower as every other, developers would still find an excuse to not support it.

Resident Evil was ported to the GBC at one point, this whole idea that all systems have to have similar level technology is total BS.

Making the Switch more powerful is NOT the answer..
Wii U had a ton of key multiplat games launched along side 360 and PS3 in 2012. And they were just as good. But Wii U owners didn't care.

The majority of third party games sell terrible on Nintendo systems the last few gens. So it shows one of two things:

1. Nintendo gamers focus on first party games on their hardware, but will buy third party games on other platforms (they are a multiplat gamer)

2. Nintendo gamers skew to one system (Nintendo system). First party games sell like hotcakes, but they don't care about multiplat games or having multiple systems to try them there

Either way, third party games sell poor.

Last edited:
The Switch+ should be as powerful portable as the standard Switch is when docked and of course have a 1080p-screen and double battery life. Then no one would have a reason to complain.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s no reason to believe Nintendo won’t do this because of what other competitors are doing.

Top Bottom